GM Program #: 2016019 HVAC Module Temp Door - Page 15 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #281 of 313 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkilburn View Post
Got mine back today, it had the complete tear down and replacement of the door with the updated parts. Has heat, no rattles, and was detailed upon pick up. So far so good. I hope anyone else having this done has a dealer that provides an equal or better result.

Took mine in three weeks ago. It failed inspection and I've been AWP (awaiting parts) ever since. Called dealer yesterday asking about it since I'm taking the truck north the end of the week. Service manager said they have no status as to when the replacement part will be in. I told him I better not have issues while I'm on the road next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 313 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:10 AM

I got mine back today after 2 days at the dealer. So far so good. Heat damper appears to be working as designed.

2016 Colorado LT 4WD, Long-Box, Laser Blue/Jet Ash. Convenience & Luxury packages, Factory Spray-in Bed Liner, Safety Package, Trailering Package, Mud Flaps, Quad-fold G4 hard tonneau cover, 3" OEM steps, All-season OEM floor mats

Ordered 5/22/15
TPW: 7/13/15
Received: 8/8/15
post #283 of 313 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 02:02 PM

Was having issues with intermittent heat. Seemed worse on cold days. Turns out the surge reservoir tank had a small crack on the nipple flange. Only leaked when the engine was working hard and pushing coolant into the overflow tank which is why I could never see anything on my driveway. Dealer replaced the whole reservoir under warranty. Said they re seeing quite a few of these lately so there maybe a future recall in the making. Just passing on so folks be sure and check it out.
mracer, CrashFix and Johng724 like this.

Andres

CCLB 2WD Colorado Owner

post #284 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:34 PM

Mine was not cracked and i put the hose clamp my self but i was still getting emails from Onstar. I went to my dealer and they said they had to do the repair in order to get the recall cleared on my truck from GM and Onstar. So i had them do the repair.Installed hose clamp. No big deal,took about half hour.
post #285 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:02 AM

Garage
I adjusted my clamp yesterday, just slightly loosen it and turn the temp knob back and forth from cold to hot. I watched it. It rotates about 90 degrees. Then when sure its not hitting anything tighten up the clamp so it cant slip any more. Eazy peezy...
Toughsox likes this.
post #286 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvobagger View Post
Took mine in three weeks ago. It failed inspection and I've been AWP (awaiting parts) ever since. Called dealer yesterday asking about it since I'm taking the truck north the end of the week. Service manager said they have no status as to when the replacement part will be in. I told him I better not have issues while I'm on the road next week.
Part came in just before Christmas. Couldn't take the truck in till this past Tuesday. This was the first one the dealer found bad. It would have been done in one day however GM instructions didn't mention new doors also require a different actuator. Square drive actuator will not work with the new door. New actuator arrived the next day. Picked up the truck Wednesday. So far no dash squeaks.
post #287 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:34 PM

Garage
Been two months since I had the door & actuator replaced, all good no dash squeeks or rattles.
bschirmer and JScottM like this.
post #288 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Took my '15 in, had one crack and they installed the clamp. I was so thankful that it didn't need a new door, the dealer was happy as well since it is such a nasty job.
Toughsox likes this.

2015 Colorado Red Rock Metallic CC Long Bed Z71 4x4
-Mods So Far: Rally Armor UR Plus Flaps, Yellow Tinted Fog Lights, Access Vanish Cover, Linex, EGR Matte Black Wind Deflectors, P3 Brake Controller, MBRP Stainless Steel Cat-Back, Anzo LED Tail-lights, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB w/3' Firestik, Falken ATw3 Wildpeak 265/65R17 tires

Self Diagnosed RC Car/Truck Addict

Site Rules
post #289 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
Took my '15 in, had one crack and they installed the clamp. I was so thankful that it didn't need a new door, the dealer was happy as well since it is such a nasty job.
I only have the one crack too and installed the clamp myself. But Im still leery about leaving it alone as I kept my 1st Gen collie 10 years and don't have that warm & fuzzy feeling this fix will last 10 years.

While you are right it does seem to be one nasty job, I'll be tackling this myself once spring time rolls around...... Im not about to take a chance with My Baby being man-handled by the dealership.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #290 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 04:34 PM

fwiw, it has been almost a month since the dealer did the full replacement, so far no issues.

2016 Colorado LT 4WD, Long-Box, Laser Blue/Jet Ash. Convenience & Luxury packages, Factory Spray-in Bed Liner, Safety Package, Trailering Package, Mud Flaps, Quad-fold G4 hard tonneau cover, 3" OEM steps, All-season OEM floor mats

Ordered 5/22/15
post #291 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imref View Post
fwiw, it has been almost a month since the dealer did the full replacement, so far no issues.

Two months here. Same result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #292 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willis View Post
Two months here. Same result.

Maybe spoke too soon. Wife just discovered today that there is no air coming out of the vent nearest the passenger door. She's pretty sure it was working before. Any ideas?

post #293 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Maybe spoke too soon. Wife just discovered today that there is no air coming out of the vent nearest the passenger door. She's pretty sure it was working before. Any ideas?

What a dummy! I didn't know the silver knob not only goes side to side to direct and close, but also up and down. Duh! Glad I didn't take it back and have them show me.

post #294 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
What a dummy! I didn't know the silver knob not only goes side to side to direct and close, but also up and down. Duh! Glad I didn't take it back and have them show me.

And I was going to ask if you if you tried turning the truck off and on again?

Ordered 5/22/15
post #295 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:33 PM

What a mess

My truck had this done to it before i bought it in October. 2016 CC diesel. In hunting down rattles, I found the dealer left the airbag barely tightened. Took 8-10 turns of the ratchet to get the bolt tight. That would have felt good in the passengers face. Now I'm finding they must have lost half the bolts while doing the job as the radio amplifier bracket wasn't screwed back to the side of the HVAC box making a plastic bushing rattle as well as many other screw holes wide open. And many screws looks like they were replaced with Home Depot sheet metal screws. I saw on the records they had shorted servos so they must have done this project twice when it didn't work after the first disassembly. I'm noticing now that there isn't much flow to the windshield and anytime the fan is blowing above setting 3 or 4, there is a terrible air whistling noise. Very frustrating!!!Don't use Haley Chevrolet in Richmond for service. Now going to take it to a dealer here in Delaware.

Hoping GM steps up to the plate on this one - not excited that my dash is hodge podge put back together. Missing bolts are great for structural integrity in a crash! Good luck to anyone else that has this done!
post #296 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:24 PM

NOTE: - - -
This "heater" or "Blend Door" issue is not something new. If you do a google for Chevrolet Equinox Blend Door you will find that the first generation 2005 to 2009 Equinox, Pontiac Torrent, etc had the same problem. The mating end of the Blend Door shaft would crack and allow the motor/actuator to slip inside the splined end of the shaft. It still is an issue on some 2010 to 2015 GM vehicles.

See picture below from a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. This was also a problem on some full size Chevy trucks.

You would think if this is such a wide spread problem, that GM would beef up the type of plastic or size of the splined shaft end.

There also is an after market "Fix Kit" for this. I've attached a pdf below showing this kit:
http://www.airsept.com/Content/files...0Tool%20PR.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blend_Door_Hinge_Split_rs12.jpg (118.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 03-28-2017 at 05:19 PM.
post #297 of 313 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBabyDMax View Post
My truck had this done to it before i bought it in October. 2016 CC diesel. In hunting down rattles, I found the dealer left the airbag barely tightened. Took 8-10 turns of the ratchet to get the bolt tight. That would have felt good in the passengers face. Now I'm finding they must have lost half the bolts while doing the job as the radio amplifier bracket wasn't screwed back to the side of the HVAC box making a plastic bushing rattle as well as many other screw holes wide open. And many screws looks like they were replaced with Home Depot sheet metal screws. I saw on the records they had shorted servos so they must have done this project twice when it didn't work after the first disassembly. I'm noticing now that there isn't much flow to the windshield and anytime the fan is blowing above setting 3 or 4, there is a terrible air whistling noise. Very frustrating!!!Don't use Haley Chevrolet in Richmond for service. Now going to take it to a dealer here in Delaware.

Hoping GM steps up to the plate on this one - not excited that my dash is hodge podge put back together. Missing bolts are great for structural integrity in a crash! Good luck to anyone else that has this done!
I also have this problem currently. This is from another forum topic "Dash rattle solved":
"So I took a look yesterday and noticed some scary and glaring things. First, lets go over some background. I had a period of time where I could't get heat from the HVAC system, so I took it in and the dealership with warranty in hand. The dealership told me that I had a cracked heater door and they needed to fix it by dismantling the entire dashboard. Relunctantly, I had no choice to say but "go ahead", but was fearful of any creaks and squeaks that might happen once it is re-assembled.

So the dealership "fixes" the HVAC and put the dash back together. Instantly I have heat on demand so I'm happy AND no squeaks day one or two....BUT after a week I start to hear some squeaks near the passenger side. The squeak became a metallic rattle over time. I crawl under the dash and take a poke around and finally found the culprit. I find that there is a missing screw (which I'm still trying to identify) that holds a metal bracket to the back of the dash and is rattling against another metal piece.

So I keep poking around some more and notice that there is an additional screw missing from the plastic tubing of the HVAC on the passenger side. And then I find that there has been THREE DIFFERENT SCREWS put back into place to hold the glovebox together. Really? Three different type of screws? WTF Dealership!!!!!! UGH. Now I have to go back for not only one missing screw but now these new problems. Now I'm even more worried that they will rip the dash apart again to replace any other unknown missing or incorrect screws. Thankfully its under warranty, plus they already did shot work once as it is."

2016 GMC Canyon SLE, 4x4 (All-Terrain)
Cyber Grey, Navigation, Bose System
Trailering Package, Spray-in bedliner
Fold-a-cover, Air Dam REMOVED
post #298 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:32 AM

As much as it's a little comforting to hear others are experiencing the same lack of quality on this repair, I'm sorry you're going through this too. I reached out to one of the GM Service folks that many times responds on this board and they have started a case with GM for me. I will be taking my truck to a dealer soon to have it checked it. How many dash disassemblies does it take to qualify as a lemon? Hopefully it doesn't get to that, but not liking the idea of this truck being put together with/without screws.
post #299 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:01 PM

I went to book an appointment for the mishap by the dealer that I addressed earlier via their online website. The next available appointment was in late March!!! I felt that this was out of the ordinary and contacted their online live chat representatives, who confirmed that the next available appointment was in late March. This was not going to do.

I found a way around that though: I booked an oil change (one of the free ones that I got with the purchase of the truck) that was available in two days. Two days? Yep availability in two days to change my oil. I get that it is a simple oil change but, once it is in for the oil change I will bring my concerns to their attention and get my truck in that way. Hopefully they will honor the warranty I have and the work that they did. Then they can fix it and I don't have to wait until late March to take it in. Crossing my fingers that this will work.

2016 GMC Canyon SLE, 4x4 (All-Terrain)
Cyber Grey, Navigation, Bose System
Trailering Package, Spray-in bedliner
Fold-a-cover, Air Dam REMOVED
post #300 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priminition View Post
I went to book an appointment for the mishap by the dealer that I addressed earlier via their online website. The next available appointment was in late March!!! I felt that this was out of the ordinary and contacted their online live chat representatives, who confirmed that the next available appointment was in late March. This was not going to do.

I found a way around that though: I booked an oil change (one of the free ones that I got with the purchase of the truck) that was available in two days. Two days? Yep availability in two days to change my oil. I get that it is a simple oil change but, once it is in for the oil change I will bring my concerns to their attention and get my truck in that way. Hopefully they will honor the warranty I have and the work that they did. Then they can fix it and I don't have to wait until late March to take it in. Crossing my fingers that this will work.
Anytime they need to fix a problem that they caused by an improper repair, that should take priority.

Many years ago, my parents purchased a 1979 Chevy. It had an issue where it kept blowing fuses on the brake lights/turn signals. My dad was working long shifts, so he had me call and complain. The dealership had gone to this program of teams for working on vehicles and the team for my parents Chevy had an appointment for like a week out. I explained to the nice fool on the other end of the telephone line that we were a one car family, that my parents would be driving this vehicle, and if they had a wreck, that Chevy would be covering any damages. They suddenly had an open appointment for the next morning at 8 AM. Turns out, even though they had looked at the issue several times, they finally discovered this time the pinched wire in the steering column.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode