GM Program #: 2016019 HVAC Module Temp Door - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 AM

I have this "recall" posted for my 2015 Canyon, which was built in Januray 2015. In the past, I had considered trading in my truck due to the schizophrenic nature of heating in the cab. Does anyone know how the design of the new temperature control valve differs from the old one?

2015 Canyon / 4x4 / SLT / CC / LB / G4 Elite Cover / GM Performance Exhaust / Diode Dynamics Yellow LED Fogs / LED Lic. Plate Bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 PM

Garage
Just had a quick review with the dealership on this.
Mine is up for it, but the recall is first a review, then they have to order parts then replace. So its a 2 phase deal.
post #23 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:35 AM

Garage
This recall is going to be a giant pain in the butt. If you are the unfortunate souls that need a replacement, not only is it a second trip to the dealership, it is 4 to 6 hours of dash teardown and reassembly. That is a bunch of rattles waiting to happen.
Toughsox likes this.

2015 Cyber Gray SLT CC SB 4x4

post #24 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:41 AM

I wonder how hard it would be to convince a parts manager to stock one of these repair kits so it is in stock when you bring it in?

I know when I went looking for the air filter, none of the parts stores had them. My dealer (maybe GM) had a sale on air filters, price was right, but he had to order the air filter for the Twins. He seemed pretty willing to get parts in that were needed.

I am thinking these are not high dollar parts we are talking about here to be stocked...A project for tomorrow. I sure could have used some heat control this weekend. My wife complained her feet were cold for much of our 900 mile drive.

Do they have to disassemble the dash, look at the issue, before they order parts, or do they just test the system, determine it is malfunctioning, and then order parts? If the dash is disassembled already, then it is cheaper to give you a loaner, air freight the parts in, and finish the job the second day, rather than tear the dash apart twice.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.

Last edited by CaryBosse; 10-24-2016 at 10:43 AM.
post #25 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoseMan View Post
This recall is going to be a giant pain in the butt. If you are the unfortunate souls that need a replacement, not only is it a second trip to the dealership, it is 4 to 6 hours of dash teardown and reassembly. That is a bunch of rattles waiting to happen.
I think that this will be based on a Tech's ability, dealer to dealer. I had my actuator, arm and door done 2 weeks ago, and nary a rattle.
post #26 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boborc View Post
I got it listed has a recall. Log into my GMC owner center or My Chevrolet owner center and check. Finally, I hated that inconsistent air flow.
X2 just received the "recall" email today. Living in FL needing full time A/C I am glad they are going to get it going full time.

Chuck
2016 Colorado Red Rock, Z71, 4x4 short bed crew cab, tow package, loaded to tow behind my Motorhome
post #27 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:01 PM

Dang, Another Recall?

Received this today, it's like my 6th recall! Say what you want about the Ridgeline, but I never had a recall in 7 years of owning one.......

Recall 2016019
Date Issued:
Sep 14, 2016
Program Title:

HVAC Module Temp Door

Program Description:

Certain 2015-2016 model year Chevrolet Colorado and 2015-2016 model year GMC Canyon vehicles, may have a condition in which a crack in the heating and cooling module temperature door control shaft may form and result in inconsistent air discharge temperature control. If the shaft cracks, the air discharge temperature may be up to 33 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) cooler than the requested values, depending on the HVAC mode selected.

Safety Risk Description:

The air discharge temperature may be up to 33 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) cooler than the requested values, depending on the HVAC mode selected.

Repair Description:

Inspect the temperature valve control shaft for cracks. If the shaft is intact, install a reinforcing clamp around the temperature valve shaft to prevent the shaft from cracking. If more than one crack is present, replace the temperature control valve.
post #28 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:15 PM

Got mine today as well. I wish they would issue a recall on the terrible transmission shifting instead of TSB's that haven't worked on my truck.
jbc77 likes this.

Chuck
2016 Colorado Red Rock, Z71, 4x4 short bed crew cab, tow package, loaded to tow behind my Motorhome
post #29 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Got mine today as well. I wish they would issue a recall on the terrible transmission shifting instead of TSB's that haven't worked on my truck.
+1

2015 Canyon SLT Crew Cab, SB, V6, 2WD, Onyx Black, Jet Black Leather, Nav, Bose, Tow, Safety Pkg, Spray Liner, BAK RevolverX2, OPT7 LED Lows
post #30 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:43 PM

I notice I sometimes get a whistling noise from the HVAC fan. If I turn off Auto, and turn it back on again it goes away so I assume the door doesn't seal all the way. 33 degrees is a big difference in temps though especially with winter coming soon!

2015 Canyon SLT Shortbox, Crew Cab, 4WD, Cyber Gray
DONE: Iron Cross HD steps - Diamondback Cover - 35% tint - OEM Splashguards - Husky Liners - Bedrug Mat -Bully Mesh Exhaust Tip- Stubby Jr - AVS BugflectorII - Eibach front struts set to 2" level - DDM HID 55k - Eagle Eyes LED Taillights - LED Interior & Fog lights
TO DO LIST: Line-X - Trifecta Tune
post #31 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by man0ica View Post
Received this today, it's like my 6th recall! Say what you want about the Ridgeline, but I never had a recall in 7 years of owning one.......

Recall 2016019
Date Issued:
Sep 14, 2016
Program Title:

HVAC Module Temp Door

Program Description:

Certain 2015-2016 model year Chevrolet Colorado and 2015-2016 model year GMC Canyon vehicles, may have a condition in which a crack in the heating and cooling module temperature door control shaft may form and result in inconsistent air discharge temperature control. If the shaft cracks, the air discharge temperature may be up to 33 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) cooler than the requested values, depending on the HVAC mode selected.

Safety Risk Description:

The air discharge temperature may be up to 33 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) cooler than the requested values, depending on the HVAC mode selected.

Repair Description:

Inspect the temperature valve control shaft for cracks. If the shaft is intact, install a reinforcing clamp around the temperature valve shaft to prevent the shaft from cracking. If more than one crack is present, replace the temperature control valve.
I have merged this thread with the thread already started in the recall sub section on this forum where a topic on this thread was already started. Also, the automatic censor blanked out your 4 letter work, in the future please do not curse. Check out the rules for more clarification.

Thanks!

2015 Colorado Red Rock Metallic CC Long Bed Z71 4x4
-Mods So Far: Rally Armor UR Plus Flaps, Yellow Tinted Fog Lights, Access Vanish Cover, Linex, EGR Matte Black Wind Deflectors, P3 Brake Controller, MBRP Stainless Steel Cat-Back, Anzo LED Tail-lights, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB w/3' Firestik, Falken ATw3 Wildpeak 265/65R17 tires

Self Diagnosed RC Car/Truck Addict

Site Rules
post #32 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:13 AM

Just got a call about AC Recall

So my dealer just called me about Recall 2016019 HVAC Module Temp Door.... I actually had the issue about 3 weeks ago, read all the info online and took it in.... All the paperwork said was that the radiator hose wasn't reaching temp so they flushed the heater core. I knew it was BS but nothing I could do because the heat was working. (My guess is they reflashed it.) So now I got a call about the issue so I'm taking it in to be looked at...

So if I read the recall right, it says that IF more than one crack is found to replace the temperature control valve.... So if they find only 1 crack all they have to do is put a clamp on it? That really sucks if that's the case....

Also, if more than one is found they have to replace the control valve by tearing apart the whole dash, which takes a while from what I've read... At that point, aren't they obligated to give me a rental?
post #33 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the post. Just checked the Chevy owner center and I have the same recall issued. Wouldn't say they are obligated. Just depends on how long the recall is suppose to take, extent of work, and if you actually need a vehicle during that time. My past recall work I just took their shuttle service to work, and had them pick me up after. If was anything more than a day then they offered me a rental free of charge.

Edit: Just noticed there is an ongoing thread for this. May be able to get more info, and conversation here

Mods: hood protector | in-channel visors | tinted windows | LED Headlights | LED interior lights | LED footwell lights | brake controller | painted bow-ties | debadged | bump step | terrain hx steps | painted calipers | painted interior trim | seat covers | Z71 grille | AT3 Falkens

Last edited by Kokiri; 10-25-2016 at 11:39 AM. Reason: url
post #34 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokiri View Post
Thanks for the post. Just checked the Chevy owner center and I have the same recall issued. Wouldn't say they are obligated. Just depends on how long the recall is suppose to take, extent of work, and if you actually need a vehicle during that time. My past recall work I just took their shuttle service to work, and had them pick me up after. If was anything more than a day then they offered me a rental free of charge.

Edit: Just noticed there is an ongoing thread for this. May be able to get more info, and conversation here
I doubt my dealer will give me a 20 mile ride to work and then pick me up.

My dealer typically wants me to leave the vehicle, they stack a bunch of them up, and keep their techs busy for the week. May be 2-3 days before they get around to working on my truck. Plus, I don't sit in office all day, I will need to be on the road most of the next two weeks.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #35 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 02:07 PM

Yep, they called me today, taking my truck in tomorrow.
post #36 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I doubt my dealer will give me a 20 mile ride to work and then pick me up.

My dealer typically wants me to leave the vehicle, they stack a bunch of them up, and keep their techs busy for the week. May be 2-3 days before they get around to working on my truck. Plus, I don't sit in office all day, I will need to be on the road most of the next two weeks.
If that was the case for me then distance would indeed be an reasonable factor for a rental. I'm just lucky enough to have a Chevrolet dealership 10 mins from my work, and another one 5 mins from my house.

Mods: hood protector | in-channel visors | tinted windows | LED Headlights | LED interior lights | LED footwell lights | brake controller | painted bow-ties | debadged | bump step | terrain hx steps | painted calipers | painted interior trim | seat covers | Z71 grille | AT3 Falkens
post #37 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 07:18 PM
JBT

Garage
I merged your thread with one already started in the recalls section. Thanks
jrkilburn likes this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 10-25-2016 at 07:23 PM.
post #38 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 08:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFix View Post
I will also now be asking if parts are in stock before bringing my truck in as well, it's a pain to bring it in, only to have to come back for back ordered parts.

Probably wouldn't hurt to have the Tech's "practice" the repair on other peoples Trucks so they know how to do it properly when it comes time to have it done on your truck!
Well, I was the practice today. Went in for an oil change, they told me they were going to do this recall, ah fine go ahead. After 2 hours there, I get 5 miles down the road and it's mid afternoon so it is starting to get warm outside. I turn on the AC and nothing but the most blazing intense heat you have ever felt was coming out. Had to return for another 45 minutes of sitting around. I guess, if you have this done, make sure that the AC and Heat are still working properly before you leave the dealer.
post #39 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot1982 View Post
So my dealer just called me about Recall 2016019 HVAC Module Temp Door.... I actually had the issue about 3 weeks ago, read all the info online and took it in.... All the paperwork said was that the radiator hose wasn't reaching temp so they flushed the heater core. I knew it was BS but nothing I could do because the heat was working. (My guess is they reflashed it.) So now I got a call about the issue so I'm taking it in to be looked at...

So if I read the recall right, it says that IF more than one crack is found to replace the temperature control valve.... So if they find only 1 crack all they have to do is put a clamp on it? That really sucks if that's the case....

Also, if more than one is found they have to replace the control valve by tearing apart the whole dash, which takes a while from what I've read... At that point, aren't they obligated to give me a rental?
I know right, but I guess where I live a clamp is better than Duct Tape, lol. Somehow it seems like kicking the can down the road and we all know where that leads us once the warranty is up.
Jayhawk likes this.
post #40 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack14u View Post
I know right, but I guess where I live a clamp is better than Duct Tape, lol. Somehow it seems like kicking the can down the road and we all know where that leads us once the warranty is up.
Yep! Thankfully I don't drive a whole lot so I should run the 36 months out. If something's going to happen, maybe it will happen within that time frame.... Unlikely though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode