TSB 16-NA-276 Transmission Shudder - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

TSB 16-NA-276 Transmission Shudder

Hello, feel free to move this, it is diesel specific.

I have a '16 Diesel Z71 4x4, about 7k on the clock. I was experiencing a slow speed issue with the transmission. When in slow traffic, coming to a stop, approaching a stop sign/stop light, the transmission did not seem to release. The RPMs would stay above 1000. Sometime the RPMs would pulse.

Either way, after driving like this for a while, the truck would smell hot, having to hold the brakes to hold back the truck was not the safest feeling.

Called the dealer and they dug up this TSB, which I found on this site:

https://www.repairprocedures.com

Condition:
Some customers may comment on shudder at low speeds, and idle surge when stopped or approaching a stop.
During diagnosis a technician may find DTC P0401 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient) set or stored.

Cause:
This may be due to a calibration concern within the Engine Control Module (ECM).

So far the truck is driving like normal. I don't think I've had some of the other complaints about transmission issues other places on this forum, but I'm hoping this will cure this.

Thanks.

Last edited by Skullman; 01-24-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:55 AM

While this may have felt like a transmission issue, the TSB notes that it's cause by the EGR system so not really a trans. issue
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
While this may have felt like a transmission issue, the TSB notes that it's cause by the EGR system so not really a trans. issue
Yes, after the fact, it turned out to be computer related (surprise, surprise) but the only feeling was related to the transmission. It was as if the torque converter wasn't disengaging or something. I'd have to drop it into Neutral at a stop just to give my brakes a rest.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullman View Post
Yes, after the fact, it turned out to be computer related (surprise, surprise) but the only feeling was related to the transmission. It was as if the torque converter wasn't disengaging or something. I'd have to drop it into Neutral at a stop just to give my brakes a rest.
Because the EGR (emissions) valve wasn't closing. EGR is known to cause rough idle that's why is supposed to only be very slightly open, if at all, at idle.

Think of it like how the engine "idles up" to compensate for when the AC compressor kicks on, it's sorta like that...except in this case the engine was trying to compensate for something it shouldn't have needed to.

Glad you got it all worked out thogh
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:33 PM

It sounds like you are experiencing the elevated rpm from a regen of the DPF. This is done automatically, unless the filter is very full or it has had multiple unfinished regens you will not see a notice on the DIC for this. A regen is when the exhaust filter is cleaned by heating up the exhaust above 900 degrees, you may experience an odor during this time.

16 Crewcab Duramax Allterrain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode