Diesel MPG (Diesel only please) - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 324Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 11:48 PM

Yes truck my truck is a 4x4. Also now that my truck has 1000 miles on it I must tell you how simply amazing the torque is off the line with this truck. I took some coworkers to lunch today...he kept setting his gloves on the dash and every time I took off I had them sitting in his lap. The torque rush last briefly then the truck shifts and it comes right back.

Last edited by aarons64; 01-15-2016 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Add more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 11:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbaum View Post
Really, your talking about price at the pump where you live and not mpg?
Let's see some good mpg information as it comes in, not a pricing study.
I know wa..waa.....waaaa..
The OP posted price in the opening statement
post #43 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 05:21 AM

Garage
This is a useless thread. Most readers are attracted to it by the title. Unfortunately most of the posts are useless info about regional cost of fuel. Please keep to the topic which is Diesel MPG.
There are only 3 or 4 people on the forum who are now driving diesels, so there should be that number of replies with maybe weekly updates from them.
DiNoto, RatRacer, Kbaum and 1 others like this.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17

Last edited by savagebob; 01-16-2016 at 05:24 AM.

post #44 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebob View Post
This is a useless thread. Most readers are attracted to it by the title. Unfortunately most of the posts are useless info about regional cost of fuel. Please keep to the topic which is Diesel MPG.
There are only 3 or 4 people on the forum who are now driving diesels, so there should be that number of replies with maybe weekly updates from them.
Please leave moderating to the moderators, they get real mad when people try to take their power.
savagebob and one2doo like this.
post #45 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 09:22 AM

So I picked up my new truck yesterday. Drove her over 600 miles back home, all of it except the first 100 miles or so and a small area of 50 miles with traffic, was Interstate highway with cruise control on at 80Mph. Average MPG when I got home was 26.2
100MPG, wachuko, Kbaum and 3 others like this.

2016 Colorado 2.8 Duramax,
  • LT, Jet Black Leather, White,
  • CC, LB, 4x4, Sprayed on,
  • Bose, Navigation,
  • 2" Auto Spring Level,
  • Iron Cross HD Step
post #46 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
Great numbers for all around driving in a 4wd, brand new, during the winter diesel. I'd expect the same duty cycle in a V6 to result in about 17 mpg under an average driver.

Cary sees more but it varies by driver.

I average about 21 mpg in my I5 '09 Canyon, my wife averages about 16 mpg in the exact same car. The driver makes a large difference.
Remember I am driving a 2WD, sea level, flat ground for the most part. For at least part of my commute, if I catch the lights right, I am doing 40 MPH in 6th gear. I bet you with a warm engine at 40 MPH on flat ground with no stops, I could hit around 32MPG or better. Don't know the diesel's characteristics, but I could see it easily exceeding 40 MPG in that condition.

I can see a big difference depending on what I need to do. In the last few days, I had some good highway jaunts to help my mileage out, but those were driven down by two-three times I needed to ask my Canyon to pull out those 305 horses and get me out in traffic. The response of my truck when I need those horses is the biggest concern I have for the diesel.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #47 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Remember I am driving a 2WD, sea level, flat ground for the most part. For at least part of my commute, if I catch the lights right, I am doing 40 MPH in 6th gear. I bet you with a warm engine at 40 MPH on flat ground with no stops, I could hit around 32MPG or better. Don't know the diesel's characteristics, but I could see it easily exceeding 40 MPG in that condition.

I can see a big difference depending on what I need to do. In the last few days, I had some good highway jaunts to help my mileage out, but those were driven down by two-three times I needed to ask my Canyon to pull out those 305 horses and get me out in traffic. The response of my truck when I need those horses is the biggest concern I have for the diesel.
Torque......

My diesel Jetta had 140 horsepower and it does great at highway speeds.
post #48 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post

It's all in the gearing.....that's why we are seeing 6 and 8 speed trannys now.
post #49 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 10:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
In a perfect world maybe. Nature of the internet, look at the next posts after yours, only 1 about MPG, then a discussion on MPG related talk, like gearing, fuel prices, torque and so on. I know it would be nice to keep every thread clean and tight, but discussion of related topics in a thread is fine, it's when it gets totally off the topic of MPG and cost per mile that ruins things....like this post is
post #50 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 11:07 PM

The point from Savage, it doesn't HAVE to be a cluttered mess.
I agree, nearly 50 posts in a mileage thread when there is no data to back it up.

Next week a new thread will be added with the same nonsense. It is never ending and everything just ends up being a cluttered mess of things not related to what draws the attention to the thread in the first place.

Not sure why people would even answer if they don't have a diesel to express their MPG concerns.
2016Duramax likes this.
post #51 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 12:10 AM

Our Diesel runs about $1.65, could not get a pic of it but here the prices at a Top Tier fuel station that I just filled up.

Ok lets us get back to the Diesel MPG topic...
post #52 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 01:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselCanyon View Post
Please leave moderating to the moderators, they get real mad when people try to take their power.
I would not want their job. Just trolling through this thread trying to determine if I might want to trade my 305 hp supertruck for a eco friendly oil burner next year. I am finding it difficult to locate actual user MPG numbers from a sea of "how much I pay for diesel here" posts. Funny thing is most don't even give us the location of "here"

If I wanted chat room chatter, I would find a chat room. At least think if more than 10% of the readers of the thread might really be interested in what you plan to write in a post.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #53 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 01:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxjr View Post
The OP posted price in the opening statement
I didn't see where he asked what others are paying in all areas of North America. That info is of no relevance to anyone that is not in the immediate area. AND we don't even know in what area most people are quoting prices. Makes it difficult to find the actual MPG figures recorded by actual Diesel owners.
Kbaum and nstuart like this.

post #54 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 04:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
I didn't see where he asked what others are paying in all areas of North America. That info is of no relevance to anyone that is not in the immediate area. AND we don't even know in what area most people are quoting prices. Makes it difficult to find the actual MPG figures recorded by actual Diesel owners.
Point taken. Thanks.
post #55 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 10:40 PM

Mpg

Finished first tank of gas and mpg was 23. This was 90% suburban driving usually 45 mph or less, the other 10 % was highway driving but short trips of 30-40 miles. Probably can't tell much from the first tank but just thought I would put in my 2 cents.

Has anyone towed with there diesel yet? (I know this should probably be a different thread!)
post #56 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to dmcdufford Send a message via MSN to dmcdufford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponydoc3 View Post
Finished first tank of gas and mpg was 23. This was 90% suburban driving usually 45 mph or less, the other 10 % was highway driving but short trips of 30-40 miles. Probably can't tell much from the first tank but just thought I would put in my 2 cents.

Has anyone towed with there diesel yet? (I know this should probably be a different thread!)
Did you notice how this compared to the DIC MPG?
post #57 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 11:49 PM

Garage
Ponydoc3. What temps in your area?. How long do you idle for warm up? Great mileage for the 1st tank on a fresh engine running around town.
post #58 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 09:17 AM

I know it would clutter up the thread, but it is obvious that driving style makes a big difference. I would love to know what people were driving before and what kind of mileage did they see in that. For instance, if they were driving a FS pickup and were getting 7 MPG with the 4.3L and now they are getting 23 MPG with the diesel twin, then the improvement is tremendous. However, if they were driving that same FS pickup with 4.3L and were getting 19 MPG, then not so good.

The real numbers that will help us understand the diesel will be after they hit a 1000 miles on truck, the transmission has learned the driver, and the engine is broken in a bit. Couple that data with some subjective comments about how well the transmission handles the complaints the gas owners have had with shifting would really tell me what I want to know.

It may make a for a tough decision on my part, but like SavageBob, my main focus is to see if I would want to replace my V6 with a diesel in the future. Not next year, but by 2019/2020. Granted, by then we should have 8/10 speed transmissions to factor into the decision.

And to some degree, I don't care that there are differences in summer/winter blends of fuel. Last I checked, I drive my truck year round. Can't park it for a few months of extreme hot/cold weather a year.
Reverendbiker and savagebob like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #59 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:18 AM

First tank down got 26.3 mpg it was pretty much 50/50 highway city avg speed 31.5. I will take that
dmaxjr likes this.
post #60 of 905 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to dmcdufford Send a message via MSN to dmcdufford
Second tank 23.8 mpg, avg speed 33.7, 17.896 gal, 407 miles.

1st 2 tanks combined: 24.4 mpg, avg speed 35.2, 34.985 gal, 852 miles.

I think I have been enjoying the torque.

Because of the issues it caused, I will not mentioned I paid $1.559

For comparison I averaged 39.8 mpg with my VW Jetta Sportwagen over 154K miles & 14.9 mpg with my 6.0L Silverado 1/2 ton over 61K miles. I traded both of these in on the Colorado.

Last edited by dmcdufford; 01-22-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode