Regen Intervals and noticeabilty - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Regen Intervals and noticeabilty

So you lucky owners of the 2.8L may have had or will soon be having an Active DPF soot incineration. Other than the MPG drop on instant meter in DIC do you notice any other tell tale signs of regen. All my Dmax 6.6L trucks would go thru an active regen unnoticed other than a high idle and slightly more growl from exhaust tone. What intervals are these 2.8l engines doing an active regen ? Thanks in advance .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 11:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ktaylor Send a message via Skype™ to Ktaylor
Funny you mention this because my truck is in its first regen as we speak.

My observations-

I have had 2 separate messages on the DIC. They are constantly on and I can not clear them. The current one says Action Requires on top and the message says Cleaning Exhaust Filter Must Continue Driving.

I believe I have around 1,200 miles on the truck already, but I can't tell for sure because I can't change the view on the screen.

The truck keeps dinging at me like the keys are in the ignition and the door is open, but it's not. I am sure that's part of the regen notification.

I am not sitting in front of a store that I need to go into but I am not going to shut the truck off during the regen.

Regen started at 10:40 and it is now 11:10. 30 minutes and who knows how much longer.

Not good.....
post #3 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 11:17 AM

I just stepped out of the truck and out of habit shut it off. **** it! Hope I didn't screw anything up.

post #4 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktaylor View Post
I just stepped out of the truck and out of habit shut it off. **** it! Hope I didn't screw anything up.

They have to have planned for this. Please keep us posted :)
post #5 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 11:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to dmcdufford Send a message via MSN to dmcdufford
I might have expected this if you do a lot of short trips but I would expect it to be very very rare. Something does not seem right?

Keep us posted.
post #6 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 11:43 AM

I started the truck back immediately after I shut it off the first time, so it has been in teen for 53 minutes now.

I just spoke with a Duramax expert and he said shutting it down during regen is ok. It just picks back up when you start it again.
post #7 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I started the truck back immediately after I shut it off the first time, so it has been in teen for 53 minutes now.

I just spoke with a Duramax expert and he said shutting it down during regen is ok. It just picks back up when you start it again.
I thought I remember reading somewhere that there were two types of regens. One was the routine one when could shut the truck off and it would pick up when you restarted. The other was the situation where there were too many short trips and it could not do a normal regen and you had to keep driving it, or running it.

I would have expected the second one to be fairly rare.

We need the duramax manuals that are inbound.
lqdchkn and one2doo like this.

Last edited by dmcdufford; 01-16-2016 at 11:56 AM.
post #8 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdufford View Post
I thought I remember reading somewhere that there were two types of regens. One was the routine one when could shut the truck off and it would pick up when you restarted. The other was the situation where there were too many short trips and it could not do a normal regen and you had to keep driving it, or running it.

I would have expected the second one to be fairly rare.

We need the duramax manuals that are inbound.
The 2013 duramax manual mentions only the scary things we know about regen....don't turn the engine off, don't idle for extended time during regen, blah, blah, blah but it never mentions anything about the cycle finishing if the engine is turned off.
post #9 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:07 PM

Garage
Ive only got 250~ miles... no regen of any kind yet, probably 50/50 city/hwy driving so far.

'16 Colorado CCLB Z71 Duramax Rainforest Green, Zone 2.75" lift/level on 255/75-17 Duratracs
post #10 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:25 PM

on my 700 miles trip back from the dealer, i notice a stretch were the mileage dropped to 17 to 18mpg. No other indication. I couldn't figure out what had caused the drop, after bit the mileage went back to the high 20's like normal
Dayton likes this.

2016 Colorado 2.8 Duramax,
  • LT, Jet Black Leather, White,
  • CC, LB, 4x4, Sprayed on,
  • Bose, Navigation,
  • 2" Auto Spring Level,
  • Iron Cross HD Step
post #11 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:30 PM

This is the 2015 Duramax manual for the full size. The regen is talked about a couple of places with the information on page 9-12 being what I was talking about.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...el3rdPrint.pdf
post #12 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
There is no problem with shutting down during a regen. It will pick up again and resume when parameters are met again(heat/ exhaust temp)
post #13 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:38 PM

Garage
Quote:

My observations-

I have had 2 separate messages on the DIC. They are constantly on and I can not clear them. The current one says Action Requires on top and the message says Cleaning Exhaust Filter Must Continue Driving.

I believe I have around 1,200 miles on the truck already, but I can't tell for sure because I can't change the view on the screen.

The truck keeps dinging at me like the keys are in the ignition and the door is open, but it's not. I am sure that's part of the regen notification.

I am not sitting in front of a store that I need to go into but I am not going to shut the truck off during the regen.

Regen started at 10:40 and it is now 11:10. 30 minutes and who knows how much longer.

Not good.....
The tech link article in the FAQ seems to be saying you need to keep it over 30 mph continuously for around 30 minutes for the regen to work....
low-tec likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #14 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxjr View Post
There is no problem with shutting down during a regen. It will pick up again and resume when parameters are met again(heat/ exhaust temp)
Read page 9-12 in the manual linked above. The way I read it there are a couple of types of regens. When a "normal regen" occurs there is no message and you will likely not know it is occurring. If you get the message the opening post showed, it means the system could not do a normal regan and you do need to keep running it. The third type I read somewhere is when the second does not complete and the truck will go into limp mode and the dealer has to run a special regen (or something like that).

What I am curious about is what do he do or not do that caused the message and special regen.
Esoxchaser likes this.
post #15 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:52 PM

Lots of short trips or low speed driving. I'm thinking he needs to go for a sustained highway drive.
low-tec and Daw like this.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #16 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
No problem at all. If it still needs more "regen", it will complete it when you start driving again.

My 6.6 LMM, I never worry about shutting off the truck during regen, nor do another 6.6 owners.

The only time starting and stopping during regen is a problem, is if you are early in the regen cycle, and do multiple short trips. On a 6.6L, at some point in time, it's going to come up with messages about the need to keep driving. DPF regen is discussed in the Duramax supplemental manual, which no one has yet.

Idling will most likely not get the EGTs high enough to complete a regen.... at least on a 6.6 it won't.

When the "need to keep driving" (not sure what the exact message is) comes up, it's time to get on the freeway if possible, and drive!
If you keep doing short trips, and the regen never completes, it will put a 6.6L in limp mode.

Last edited by myusername; 01-16-2016 at 01:07 PM.
post #17 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:

My observations-

Not good.....
That DIC message is not supposed to ever come on in normal use and doesn't necessarily mean you are currently in a regen. It means the soot mass estimation is too high and it won't go away until a regen is completed. And if the soot is above a certain level it will eventually set a MIL and force you to take it in to the dealer for a service regen. Hopefully that's not the case.
Esoxchaser likes this.
post #18 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 05:21 PM

Garage
Here's what the GM Tech Link article for the 2.8 Duramax says

The normal regeneration process removes captured particulates through incineration within the EPF. Regeneration occurs when the ECM calculates that the particulate level in the filter has reached a calibrated threshold using a number of different factors, including engine run time, distance traveled, fuel used since the last regeneration, and the exhaust differential pressure.

In general, the vehicle needs to operate continuously at speeds above 30 mph (48 km/h) for approximately 20-30 minutes for a full and effective regeneration to complete. During regeneration, the exhaust gases reach temperatures above 1,022°F (550°C). If exhaust gas temperatures fall below a normal calibrated threshold, regeneration will be terminated and a corresponding DTC should set. If a regeneration event is interrupted for any reason, it will continue, including the next key cycle, when the conditions are met for regeneration enablement. Normal regeneration is transparent to the customer. The self-cleaning occurs approximately once per tank of fuel.

A scan tool is required for service regeneration. Commanding a service regeneration is accomplished using the scan tool output control function. The vehicle will need to be parked outside the facility and away from nearby objects, due to the elevated exhaust gas temperature at the tail pipe during regeneration. The service regeneration can be terminated by applying the brake pedal, commanding service regeneration OFF using the scan tool, or disconnecting the scan tool from the vehicle.

There are two regeneration Driver Information Center messages. “Cleaning Exhaust Filter Continue Driving”will appear on the DIC when an exhaust particulate filter cleaning is required. To clean the filter, drive the vehicle above 30 mph (50 km/h) until the warning message goes OFF. This will take about 30 minutes. When the “Cleaning Exhaust Filter Must Continue Driving” message is displayed, it is important to keep driving to clean the exhaust filter. This will take about 30 minutes.

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #19 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 06:24 PM

Garage
Quote:

My observations-

Not good.....
Reading your post, it seems like you were indeed in the middle of a regen cycle and you needed to keep driving at highway speeds for 20-30 mins but you were idling for a while in a parking lot before you shut it down. This is probably why you went over 30 mins without the message going away.
low-tec likes this.

2016 Canyon, Duramax, All-Terrain, Cyber Grey, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 4x4, Sprayed on Bedliner, RC off road steps, Autospring 2.5 lift.
post #20 of 246 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleZ View Post
The normal regeneration process removes captured particulates through incineration within the EPF. Regeneration occurs when the ECM calculates that the particulate level in the filter has reached a calibrated threshold using a number of different factors, including engine run time, distance traveled, fuel used since the last regeneration, and the exhaust differential pressure.

In general, the vehicle needs to operate continuously at speeds above 30 mph (48 km/h) for approximately 20-30 minutes for a full and effective regeneration to complete. During regeneration, the exhaust gases reach temperatures above 1,022°F (550°C). If exhaust gas temperatures fall below a normal calibrated threshold, regeneration will be terminated and a corresponding DTC should set. If a regeneration event is interrupted for any reason, it will continue, including the next key cycle, when the conditions are met for regeneration enablement. Normal regeneration is transparent to the customer. The self-cleaning occurs approximately once per tank of fuel.

A scan tool is required for service regeneration. Commanding a service regeneration is accomplished using the scan tool output control function. The vehicle will need to be parked outside the facility and away from nearby objects, due to the elevated exhaust gas temperature at the tail pipe during regeneration. The service regeneration can be terminated by applying the brake pedal, commanding service regeneration OFF using the scan tool, or disconnecting the scan tool from the vehicle.

There are two regeneration Driver Information Center messages. “Cleaning Exhaust Filter Continue Driving”will appear on the DIC when an exhaust particulate filter cleaning is required. To clean the filter, drive the vehicle above 30 mph (50 km/h) until the warning message goes OFF. This will take about 30 minutes. When the “Cleaning Exhaust Filter Must Continue Driving” message is displayed, it is important to keep driving to clean the exhaust filter. This will take about 30 minutes.
I had a 2011 6.6 LML for almost 2 years and never saw a message that said to keep driving. I thought that was prior to the LML. So I'm kind of disappointed to see any mention of this with the 2.8. Do mostly city driving and it may not always be possible to do a sustained 30 stretch. Can you drop down a gear to get the engine revs up but still be driving less than 30?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode