Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Catch can for DMax?

216K views 651 replies 148 participants last post by  macr88 
#1 ·
Hello,

This catch can concept is new to me, but makes lots of sense, so I was curious if this would work on the DMax, and if it "would" work is it recommended? I checked on some of the DMax forums but they only talked about the larger engines and I could not find anything specific to the 2.8.

Thanks in advance,

p.s. I also posted this in the other "catch can" thread, but thought it might be important enough to start a new thread in the diesel only forum ( if I am wrong I am sure @08Canyon will let me know)

#2 ·
I know many running the ecodiesel feel it is important so I've been wondering the same thing. I still need to figure out the best option for my wife's 2015 4.3 V6 Silverado...

#3 ·
I was wondering if this topic should have been brought up considering it's a big deal for the Gasser. Told my car guru friend who was a 2013 impala with the lfx and he said he never heard of it then looked into it and asked his friend who works for GM service, and his friend told him it wasn't necessary. Yeah, I'd imagine that's what a GM service dude would tell him....

#4 ·
I understand you are new here, however no need to call me out. That only creates drama and controversy.

I thought we had a thread on this, however when the 6 search results appeared on the first page (with catch can in the TITLE) none of which were in the diesel subforum. If I find it I'll probably blend them together and maybe clean up the remaining repetition. Unless another moderator has moved the one I am thinking about.

Because there is nothing at all informative in the OP I'm unsure if it requires being a duplicate thread at this time. (I view this thread as a reworded question)

#5 ·
There may (or may not) be a benefit to having a catch can on the 2.8L but it still remains to be seen whether one could even be plumbed in the crankcase ventilation system.

#7 ·

Attachments

#11 ·
Think I'm a gonna add this to my mod list. I'm also guessing there isn't room to reinstall the beauty cover on top of the engine.

#13 ·
I attempted to order directly from HPD but when I tried checking out, their website says they don't ship to my address.
Since they claim to be able to ship worldwide, I have submitted an inquiry to find out how.

#14 ·
Dave at HPD is who I ended up working with through email. He will need your address in order to get a quote for shipping. The payment went through Paypal.

The catch can is a nicely machined part. All the parts have an o-ring gasket between them helping to keep the oil where it belongs.

#16 ·
I was going to post the very same HPD link to show you guys the Catch can available here, funny thing is you guys are looking to buy the HPD catch cans from here in Australia, they are a nice design & excellent quality but I agree it is a lot of money for a billet aluminum can (The exchange rate is one thing working in your favor buying from over here though so that helps you's out) no matter how much work goes into it, we pay way too much for stuff like this in Australia, so.....I actually bought my catch can from over there at> Universal Aerospace Racing Billet Oil Catch Can | UPR

I told them what I needed 5/8 ID hose & fittings & they made it to suit what I needed, A very nice product & the price is very reasonable, pretty sure they may be looking into making a kit for the diesel Colorado's if they havent already?

I have not fitted mine just yet, I just need to fabricate a mounting bracket, I will get some pics when I get round to it

The catch cans certainly do work (there is no way possible to get a fault code / engine light from a catch can on the 2.8 Duramax), there is plenty of pics over here showing the whole intercooler & inlet full of oil which is not real good especially mixed with the EGR circuit, read on

Just on to another similar subject, the EGR (exhaust gas return) setup pumps exhaust directly into your intake also, you can easily make a blanking plate & block it off, this will cause a fault code but it will not put it into limp mode or cause any problems at all, it simply comes & goes, mine came up a few times but it has not been back for a while now, the EGR fault code setup can be turned off permanently when a tune is done & it will be gone forever

Info here>
Fosko Enterprises EGR Plate Trolley Key & more | Newcastle NSW

#17 · (Edited)
I would absolutely get a catch can along with finding out a way to disable the EGR. Diesels need them far more than gas motors as the EGR will recirculate soot and when it combines with the oil from the pcv it will create a sludge/tar that builds on the walls of the intake manifold. It can be very bad, look up pictures of VW intakes:

My Jeep liberty CRD 2.8L diesel has the same issue after only 40k miles before I put a block plate on the EGR. The engine and EGR configuration is nearly identical to the 2.8L Dmax where there is a "flow control valve" in the intake piping with the EGR entering in the elbow just before the Intake Manifold. The fcv creates a vacuum in the intake manifold by acting like a throttle body, closing a plate, this forces the engine to draw from the egr. My stock elbow and manifold are CAKED after only 40k.

#18 ·
My catch can is on order; don't know how long it will take to arrive from Australia.

#21 · (Edited)
As promised, here are pics of the HP Diesel catch can.

Notes:
1) I purchased through GCG Turbo in Australia because initially, HP hadn't answered my emails.
2) GCC shipped promptly; 8 days from the time I ordered until it was on my doorstep.
3) Whomever packed it for shipment did an outstanding job! I believe it could have survived being dropped from a helicopter into a combat zone.
4) The can is machined from billet aluminum and the brackets are powder coated stainless steel. Definitely appears to be a quality item.
5) The factory hose from the valve cover to the intake had some oil residue inside as did the main intake tube leading to the turbo. Just shy of 500 miles on the engine.
The turbo itself was dry.
6) I filed a notch on the dipstick approximately .5" below the bottom half of the can. This will serve as a guide to know when the can needs to be emptied.

Attachments

#22 ·
It looks pretty tight under the catch can, so curious if you think there is ample room to unscrew the base to empty. Not trying to compare, but I had a catch can on a 1st generation Mini Cooper S, and it was impossible to empty in the tight quarters. Each time I did it, I had to remove the whole assembly, brackets and all to empty it.

#23 ·
Can't really tell from the pic but there is enough room to unscrew the base and remove it for emptying.

#29 ·
I may end up going with another brand as I can't get anyone to return my emails and u want this catch can yesterday! Could someone please measure for me what size the fittings need to be on the inlet and outlet of the catch can so when I order another one I can get the proper fittings right away. Thanks guys

#30 ·
I called them first and they told me to email. Still took a couple of days to respond. The fittings need to be sized to fit 19mm/.75" hose.
I was antsy too but well worth the wait.

#35 ·
I still think that's way way too much for a tin can and a hose.

here is a cheap alternative
It's expensive true, but this particular kit is aluminum, not tin and is plug-n-play. This is one mod where I didn't feel like investing time fabricating brackets and trying to make something cheaper work.

Oil vapor is recycled into the intake of a diesel with EGR. The claim is the oil coats the walls of the intercooler and intake. Oily intercooler means less efficient intercooler. Oily intake running EGR means those particulates can now stick to the walls of your intake. The addition of more oily vapor and more particulates creates a buildup that can hinder flow and overall performance.

These are the claims. I have no idea if these claims are valid for the 2.8L Duramax. The concept appears valid. I don't see a way this can hurt the engine. Is this a trchnological form of snakoil or something that the engine can truely benefit from.
Your points are valid and we don't know if there will be an issue with oil residue through the intercooler and mixing with EGR soot.
But I didn't want to wait and see. Plus my location experiences plenty of sub zero cold temps in the winter months. The can should also help catch condensation and fuel vapors. I have no desire to recycle that crap back through the intake system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.