Catch can for DMax? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 143Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 289 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to 2DMAX Send a message via MSN to 2DMAX
Catch can for DMax?

Hello,

This catch can concept is new to me, but makes lots of sense, so I was curious if this would work on the DMax, and if it "would" work is it recommended? I checked on some of the DMax forums but they only talked about the larger engines and I could not find anything specific to the 2.8.

Thanks in advance,

p.s. I also posted this in the other "catch can" thread, but thought it might be important enough to start a new thread in the diesel only forum ( if I am wrong I am sure @08Canyon will let me know)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 289 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:08 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to KS_Jetta Send a message via MSN to KS_Jetta
I know many running the ecodiesel feel it is important so I've been wondering the same thing. I still need to figure out the best option for my wife's 2015 4.3 V6 Silverado...

2016 Colorado Z71 4wd Crew Cab Long Box Duramax
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual
2015 Silverado LT 4wd - the Wife's
1997 F250 XL 460 4wd 5 Speed - The farm truck

I'm not an environmental activist, I'm an active environmentalist

[IMG][/IMG]
post #3 of 289 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:22 PM

I was wondering if this topic should have been brought up considering it's a big deal for the Gasser. Told my car guru friend who was a 2013 impala with the lfx and he said he never heard of it then looked into it and asked his friend who works for GM service, and his friend told him it wasn't necessary. Yeah, I'd imagine that's what a GM service dude would tell him....

post #4 of 289 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DMAX View Post
Hello,

This catch can concept is new to me, but makes lots of sense, so I was curious if this would work on the DMax, and if it "would" work is it recommended? I checked on some of the DMax forums but they only talked about the larger engines and I could not find anything specific to the 2.8.

Thanks in advance,

p.s. I also posted this in the other "catch can" thread, but thought it might be important enough to start a new thread in the diesel only forum ( if I am wrong I am sure @08Canyon will let me know)
I understand you are new here, however no need to call me out. That only creates drama and controversy.

I thought we had a thread on this, however when the 6 search results appeared on the first page (with catch can in the TITLE) none of which were in the diesel subforum. If I find it I'll probably blend them together and maybe clean up the remaining repetition. Unless another moderator has moved the one I am thinking about.

Because there is nothing at all informative in the OP I'm unsure if it requires being a duplicate thread at this time. (I view this thread as a reworded question)
post #5 of 289 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 03:54 PM

There may (or may not) be a benefit to having a catch can on the 2.8L but it still remains to be seen whether one could even be plumbed in the crankcase ventilation system.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #6 of 289 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to 2DMAX Send a message via MSN to 2DMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
I understand you are new here, however no need to call me out. That only creates drama and controversy.

Sorry if you took it that way, I was just joking around...geez! But, based on the responses so far it seems as though this might be valuable enough to stick around.
post #7 of 289 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:55 PM

I picked up a catch can designed for the 2.8L Holden Colorado from High Performance Diesel out of Australia. It came with all the mounting brackets, hose clamps and the extra hose that's needed for installing it.

HOLDEN COLORADO 2012 2.8LT CATCH CAN - $385 : HP Diesel, Performance kits for your 4WD

So far no engine codes have been thrown in the last 500 miles of mixed driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1880-small.jpg (79.6 KB, 538 views)
post #8 of 289 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 09:14 AM

Would you be able to post pics of how you mounted it?

HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases

post #9 of 289 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallymr2 View Post
I picked up a catch can designed for the 2.8L Holden Colorado from High Performance Diesel out of Australia. It came with all the mounting brackets, hose clamps and the extra hose that's needed for installing it.

HOLDEN COLORADO 2012 2.8LT CATCH CAN - $385 : HP Diesel, Performance kits for your 4WD

So far no engine codes have been thrown in the last 500 miles of mixed driving.
Is there any oil in the can yet?

2016 Quad Cab Long Bed Duaramax Trail Boss (Laser Blue)

Ordered 11/21/15

Production 01/28/16 (Completed!)

Picked up 02/20/16
post #10 of 289 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 10:57 PM

There is a pre-drilled hole in the passenger side fender that the supplied bracket mounts to. I angled the bracket so that the coolant line that looks like it goes to the turbo runs under the bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1881-small.jpg (72.2 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1882-small.jpg (74.4 KB, 500 views)
ssgjurista, one2doo and 2DMAX like this.
post #11 of 289 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Think I'm a gonna add this to my mod list. I'm also guessing there isn't room to reinstall the beauty cover on top of the engine.

post #12 of 289 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:15 AM

The engine cover re-installs just fine even with the 2" thick piece of foam that sits between the valve covers and the engine cover.
post #13 of 289 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 02:24 PM

I attempted to order directly from HPD but when I tried checking out, their website says they don't ship to my address.
Since they claim to be able to ship worldwide, I have submitted an inquiry to find out how.

post #14 of 289 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 11:13 PM

Dave at HPD is who I ended up working with through email. He will need your address in order to get a quote for shipping. The payment went through Paypal.

The catch can is a nicely machined part. All the parts have an o-ring gasket between them helping to keep the oil where it belongs.
ssgjurista likes this.
post #15 of 289 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:20 AM

seems awfully expensive for a tin can and a tube.
Vinolush and matt951207 like this.
post #16 of 289 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 07:47 AM

I was going to post the very same HPD link to show you guys the Catch can available here, funny thing is you guys are looking to buy the HPD catch cans from here in Australia, they are a nice design & excellent quality but I agree it is a lot of money for a billet aluminum can (The exchange rate is one thing working in your favor buying from over here though so that helps you's out) no matter how much work goes into it, we pay way too much for stuff like this in Australia, so.....I actually bought my catch can from over there at> Universal Aerospace Racing Billet Oil Catch Can | UPR

I told them what I needed 5/8 ID hose & fittings & they made it to suit what I needed, A very nice product & the price is very reasonable, pretty sure they may be looking into making a kit for the diesel Colorado's if they havent already?

I have not fitted mine just yet, I just need to fabricate a mounting bracket, I will get some pics when I get round to it

The catch cans certainly do work (there is no way possible to get a fault code / engine light from a catch can on the 2.8 Duramax), there is plenty of pics over here showing the whole intercooler & inlet full of oil which is not real good especially mixed with the EGR circuit, read on

Just on to another similar subject, the EGR (exhaust gas return) setup pumps exhaust directly into your intake also, you can easily make a blanking plate & block it off, this will cause a fault code but it will not put it into limp mode or cause any problems at all, it simply comes & goes, mine came up a few times but it has not been back for a while now, the EGR fault code setup can be turned off permanently when a tune is done & it will be gone forever

Info here>
Fosko Enterprises EGR Plate Trolley Key & more | Newcastle NSW
post #17 of 289 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:40 PM

I would absolutely get a catch can along with finding out a way to disable the EGR. Diesels need them far more than gas motors as the EGR will recirculate soot and when it combines with the oil from the pcv it will create a sludge/tar that builds on the walls of the intake manifold. It can be very bad, look up pictures of VW intakes:

My Jeep liberty CRD 2.8L diesel has the same issue after only 40k miles before I put a block plate on the EGR. The engine and EGR configuration is nearly identical to the 2.8L Dmax where there is a "flow control valve" in the intake piping with the EGR entering in the elbow just before the Intake Manifold. The fcv creates a vacuum in the intake manifold by acting like a throttle body, closing a plate, this forces the engine to draw from the egr. My stock elbow and manifold are CAKED after only 40k.
mexica, Perth diesel and MRZ06 like this.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD - GDE Hot Tune, GDE Trans Tune, 3" Lift, ARB Bull Bar, 31" Wrangler Duratracs

2014 F150 Lariat EcoBoost Screw - Unleashed Tune, Catch Can, 33" Duratracs

Last edited by mass-hole; 03-08-2016 at 12:19 AM.
post #18 of 289 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 07:01 AM

My catch can is on order; don't know how long it will take to arrive from Australia.

post #19 of 289 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 08:20 AM

Sasquatch motorsports here in Minnesota will be making an EGR delete kit like they do for the Jeep Libertys
sasquatchparts likes this.
post #20 of 289 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:59 AM

Catch can arrived; will post some pics when I install.
Canyon16Dmax likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode