DIESEL owners, please post (good & bad) weekly updates here - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 433Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
2 days in and barely over 100miles so far but this AM I noticed a noise (rattle maybe) behind the passenger side of the dash while backing out. Did not notice it when I shifted into D though and Im still getting all the new noises so not sure if is really anything yet.

Also while I consider myself familiar with diesels, this is my first civilian diesel vehicle and while im not surprised at the drivability, I find myself surprised, lol

Based on all the reviews I was expecting a high likely hood of a different experience in responsiveness but come to find out it drives just like every other diesel. Not that Im disappointed per-se but some of the reviews out there kinda alluded me to thinking this was going to be more "car" like. There is even a post here commenting such and the OP was remarking on his disappointment. Don't fool yourself it's still a diesel. lol

sorta sounds like the vibration I'm hearing too. Only hear it stopped in D with my foot on the brake. Never hear it otherwise. Weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DMAX View Post
Have had my truck for 6 days now, 320 miles and still have a half tank of fuel left, my '97 F150 (with 4.2L V6 and 24 gallon tank) would be on the way to the gas station with the low fuel light on. Absolutely love the truck...but, there is a huge problem...wife has cut off the modification funds already. Have a Zone level kit to put on but can't because I do not know how to convince her that a new truck "needs" an alignment.
Ask her why she needs a haircut just immediately after she gets her hair dyed.

This my friend is an example of an analogy that she will understand.
savagebob likes this.

Postpartum Aggression

Current Fleet:
2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)
1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)
1984 6000 STE (first car)
post #23 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:40 AM
dds

last friday, i hauled almost 2,000lbs of HHO in the bed. the truck rode level & took the weight surprisingly well. 2K on the odo & not a complaint.
Skit likes this.

post #24 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:27 AM

Boo....I wasn't expecting bad so soon (just took delivery last night). My truck's blower motor doesn't work. PDI fail.
KS_Jetta likes this.
post #25 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:34 AM

Just picked the truck up yesterday so only 50 miles on it but my initial impressions are:Also n1) Acceleration seems effortless. For example, encountered a steep 1/4 mile upgrade with a posted speed limit of 45 mph. I started up the hill doing about 48 mph and added a bit of throttle to get a downshift from 6th to 5th. Immediate starting pulling and picking up speed. No issues merging or passing traffic both in town and on the highway. Pretty much what I expected.
2) Just enough noise to let me know there is a Diesel under the hood.
3) Rides like a truck but not harsh. Downsizing from a Silverado, I think it actually rides better.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #26 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

that is nice to here downsizing from a Silverado that you think it actually rides better. That is something im worried about is ride comfort from the Tundra crew 4x4 . Sure wont miss the 15 mpg though or parking outside or trying to park all together. Cant wait till mine arrives next month I hope
post #27 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2DMAX Send a message via MSN to 2DMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekko View Post
Boo....I wasn't expecting bad so soon (just took delivery last night). My truck's blower motor doesn't work. PDI fail.
Sorry to hear that, quick fix?
post #28 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, quick fix?
We'll see. Hopefully. My wife swears it worked during the checkout yesterday when we took delivery so I'll let the PDI off the hook for now. Hoping a connector or fuse...
post #29 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgaiden View Post
sorta sounds like the vibration I'm hearing too. Only hear it stopped in D with my foot on the brake. Never hear it otherwise. Weird.
Yeah I heard it once (outta all my stops) this AM at a light on my way to work. It's a very light rattle and it sounds like it's rubbing on something because there is a slight "chirp" (think cricket) to it. Any amount of throttle changed the vibration and it went away.

Im going to remove the glove box and see if there is a loose wire looms back there and/or if there are any paper id tags on the looms that could be rubbing (think edge of paper rubbing against plastic) with the right vibration. If that doesn't fix it, I don't care because it will either work itself into stopping or my first camping trip will rattle everything and should make it settle anyway, lol
post #30 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 01:36 PM

I am still waiting on mine, but did get to drive one last night. One finally made it within a reasonable driving distance to me, and wasn't sold, so I jumped at the opportunity to finally get to test drive one. I was very apprehensive about reports of throttle delays and or turbo lag from a dead stop, something that really plagued my CRD Jeep Liberty, so much so I sold it in less then a year. Through the use of the videos online I was able to see there was I tinny delay but still not positive to what extent.

I am happy to report that the one I drove last night, all though it did have a tiny bit of throttle delay from a dead stop, that it was maybe 1 second at the most, maybe even just a half second. Nothing really at all that like what my Liberty CRD had, I think it had close to a 2-3 second delay, The CRD had enough delay to get you honked at when stuck setting at stop lights or put you in some danger trying to jump out into traffic in hurry.
Very pleased to report I didn't find anything like that going on with the Colorado I drove.

It was no rocket, as many have reported, but not a problem for me, I wasn't expecting it to be fast, just looking for decent performance for everyday use. It's got what I was looking for in the power department. That said more power can never hurt, so I think I will keep an eye out for some safe tune options, to maybe pull a little extra out of it.

I do wish you could here the turbo, but not a big deal. It was quieter then I expected all the way around.

All in all after the test drive I am still looking forward to getting mine next month.
ekko likes this.
post #31 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1999 View Post
I am still waiting on mine, but did get to drive one last night. One finally made it within a reasonable driving distance to me, and wasn't sold, so I jumped at the opportunity to finally get to test drive one. I was very apprehensive about reports of throttle delays and or turbo lag from a dead stop, something that really plagued my CRD Jeep Liberty, so much so I sold it in less then a year. Through the use of the videos online I was able to see there was I tinny delay but still not positive to what extent.

I am happy to report that the one I drove last night, all though it did have a tiny bit of throttle delay from a dead stop, that it was maybe 1 second at the most, maybe even just a half second. Nothing really at all that like what my Liberty CRD had, I think it had close to a 2-3 second delay, The CRD had enough delay to get you honked at when stuck setting at stop lights or put you in some danger trying to jump out into traffic in hurry.
Very pleased to report I didn't find anything like that going on with the Colorado I drove.

It was no rocket, as many have reported, but not a problem for me, I wasn't expecting it to be fast, just looking for decent performance for everyday use. It's got what I was looking for in the power department. That said more power can never hurt, so I think I will keep an eye out for some safe tune options, to maybe pull a little extra out of it.

I do wish you could here the turbo, but not a big deal. It was quieter then I expected all the way around.

All in all after the test drive I am still looking forward to getting mine next month.
Awesome! I'm glad this is going to work out for you. I haven't had enough dead starts yet, but with all the roundabout mad dashes in my usual commute I'll definitely get many.
post #32 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 02:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2DMAX Send a message via MSN to 2DMAX
Quote:
Awesome! I'm glad this is going to work out for you. I haven't had enough dead starts yet, but with all the roundabout mad dashes in my usual commute I'll definitely get many.

truck fixed? what was the fault?
post #33 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
truck fixed? what was the fault?
I couldn't make it in today - heading in tomorrow. Luckily temps are mild right now so it isn't much of an issue. Loving the truck otherwise though!
post #34 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ekko, I took it to an empty parking lot, and did start stops and turning maneuvers for about 10 min, testing out that delay I have been so concerned about. I never noticed it at all on the drive to the parking lot I was testing it at. I don't think its really going to be any problem for me at all. feeling very relieved.

Started ordering the rest of the accessories for mine today.
My TPW is a little over a week away.

I order the custom made head ache rack last week, got the toolbox and husky liner floor mats ordered today. I am pretty confident now, that this truck will work out fine for me. Also picked up an extra set of OEM silver blade wheels off Ebay today, plan to get them either painted or powder coated black and put some Duratracs on them just like the trail boss setup.

Only negative things I noticed on the one I drove last night was the tires seemed a little out of balance, the ride seemed a little stiff, but that really wasn't a big shocker. Empty truck bed, cheap oem tires. The truck I drove was a regular Z71. The trail boss is about the only version I have seen that comes with a premium tire. My truck is an LT 4x4 , so I imagine it might ride a little smoother then Z71, not sure really, I think only difference is the shocks and stickers.

None of it is a problem mine will be loaded down some as soon as I get it upfited with the rack and toolbox likely weighs a good 300lbs combined once the tool box is loaded , and I am changing out the tires as soon as I get it home. That alone should take care of the only negatives I ran across in my test drive.

Last edited by CC1999; 02-25-2016 at 09:21 PM.
post #35 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:42 PM

I've owned my Duramax for about 1.5 months and 2,000 miles. It has performed flawlessly and I have no quality issues at all. If it weren't for the stupid placement of the 4WD selector and lack of a 4WD indicator light I'd rate it at 100%. Even so, it's just one fantastic truck. I grew up driving old Detroit iron with torquey V-8's and have never liked modern high-revving engines, so I just love the low-end grunt of this diesel. It tows my stock trailer without breaking a sweat and has averaged over 25 mpg (calculated) since new. That, btw, is over 25% better than my 2015 Z71 V-6. In short, it's an ideal truck for my needs. What's not to love?
maddog69 likes this.

jack <><
2016 Colorado LT 4X4 CC/LB
Duramax
Summit White
Reverendbiker.com
post #36 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgaiden View Post
You guys see the post on "vibration at idle" - AC line touching the firewall on passenger side.
Martin_Winterkorn likes this.
post #37 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1999 View Post
Thanks Ekko, I took it to an empty parking lot, and did start stops and turning maneuvers for about 10 min, testing out that delay I have been so concerned about. I never noticed it at all on the drive to the parking lot I was testing it at. I don't think its really going to be any problem for me at all. feeling very relieved.

Started ordering the rest of the accessories for mine today.
My TPW is a little over a week away.

I order the custom made head ache rack last week, got the toolbox and husky liner floor mats ordered today. I am pretty confident now, that this truck will work out fine for me. Also picked up an extra set of OEM silver blade wheels off Ebay today, plan to get them either painted or powder coated black and put some Duratracs on them just like the trail boss setup.

Only negative things I noticed on the one I drove last night was the tires seemed a little out of balance, the ride seemed a little stiff, but that really wasn't a big shocker. Empty truck bed, cheap oem tires. The truck I drove was a regular Z71. The trail boss is about the only version I have seen that comes with a premium tire. My truck is an LT 4x4 , so I imagine it might ride a little smoother then Z71, not sure really, I think only difference is the shocks and stickers.

None of it is a problem mine will be loaded down some as soon as I get it upfited with the rack and toolbox likely weighs a good 300lbs combined once the tool box is loaded , and I am changing out the tires as soon as I get it home. That alone should take care of the only negatives I ran across in my test drive.

I have z71 coming. how much difference in ride between it and lt? I want a smooth ride. I like the appearance much more on the z71 with no chrome. I am going to test drive a z71 tomorrow diesel another dealer called me on today they got in today. Ill post tomorrow how it went
post #38 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverendbiker View Post
......I grew up driving old Detroit iron with torquey V-8's and have never liked modern high-revving engines, so I just love the low-end grunt of this diesel.
A man after my own heart.

Forget to mention in my earlier post, the electric heater seems to be a winner. I've notice that even when engine temps are still well below normal, i.e. the needle has just moved slightly, I'm already getting decent heat from the HVAC system.
Devilmonkey and Yooper2001 like this.

HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases

post #39 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
A man after my own heart.

Forget to mention in my earlier post, the electric heater seems to be a winner. I've notice that even when engine temps are still well below normal, i.e. the needle has just moved slightly, I'm already getting decent heat from the HVAC system.
Thank you Sir, the one feature I was looking forward to the most finally confirmed. Everyone else must have had unseasonably warm weather or something. Kudos to you!
post #40 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper2001 View Post
Thank you Sir, the one feature I was looking forward to the most finally confirmed. Everyone else must have had unseasonably warm weather or something. Kudos to you!
The outside temp on the day of the test drive was about 25F and yesterday when I took delivery, temps were in the low 30s.
Supposed to have teens and possibly single digits tomorrow and tomorrow night. Will report back this weekend. I need to remember to set the temp knob to HI before shutting the engine off so if I remote start, I can judge the effect of the electric heater after just a few minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode