DIESEL owners, please post (good & bad) weekly updates here - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 443Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgaiden View Post
sorta sounds like the vibration I'm hearing too. Only hear it stopped in D with my foot on the brake. Never hear it otherwise. Weird.
I wanted to know how to get the glove box out and get behind it for a look.

I didn't find anything really loose back there but since the instructions for getting the glove box off were in this thread

Fan/Whistling Noise / Cabin air filter replacement

I figured I'd check the cabin filter since it appeared many have been installed upside down. Mine was also, so I fixed it. Not sure it it'll matter but wth might as well make it right, right?

post #72 is the one you want if you wanna check stuff out for yourself
Martin_Winterkorn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 12:36 AM

Garage
So into week two. First fault was a flat 8 miles on it. Dealer replaced the tire so all is well. Last week, made a trip up to the va home, last 20 up and first 20 down are a winding road up to the top of the hill, a 4500' climb. No excessive downshift or issues going up or down the hill. Coming down used manual and 3rd or 4th . I tried using the exhaust brake but it did not seem to make much difference in the speed.
Yesterday I was able to test the exhaust brake on a long downhill on a toll road, set the cruise and brake on it held speed without issue. The end of that trip was at NBC universal on the other side of LA creeping through rush hour traffic. Bottom line, I left there after traffic and even with 1.5 hours creeping in traffic below 20 mph, the DIC said trip was 27.4 mpg for the trip!
Canyon16Dmax likes this.
post #43 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 01:35 PM

Well I've had the truck 1 week today and have put on a little over 600 miles so far and am really loving it (traded in a 2011 GMC Terrain).
That's the good part.
The not so good is yesterday it thru a code so I took it in today, seems there's a bad exhaust gas temp sensor that's bad and needs replacement, of course it needs to be ordered but should be in Monday. Was able to leave with the truck but told to take it easy on it and avoid any long trips until it get replaced.
F150hater likes this.

post #44 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappie man View Post
I have z71 coming. how much difference in ride between it and lt? I want a smooth ride. I like the appearance much more on the z71 with no chrome. I am going to test drive a z71 tomorrow diesel another dealer called me on today they got in today. Ill post tomorrow how it went

I am not sure, how the z71 shocks effect the ride. As far as I know its just shocks, and the rest is just cosmetic trim and stickers .

This is all that I was able to find on the web about what comes with the Z71.

Off-Road Suspension
  • Rugged suspension package that gives your Colorado® Z71® its proud name
  • Includes specially-calibrated twin-tube shocks and transfer case shield

I imagine there is not much difference, there was a press review I read or watched, and I remember them commenting on a bit of a stiff ride and he said he thought it might have been the z71 pkg causing a stiffer ride.
Then When I drove one and it too was a z71,I noticed it too. I was thinking maybe that was what it was as well. Or could be just that it was a truck with an empty bed.
I am not 100%sure that is the case, possible though.
Some off-road shocks ride smoother then stock shocks some are stiffer then the stock shocks.

Last edited by CC1999; 02-26-2016 at 02:18 PM.
post #45 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I have z71 coming. how much difference in ride between it and lt? I want a smooth ride. I like the appearance much more on the z71 with no chrome. I am going to test drive a z71 tomorrow diesel another dealer called me on today they got in today. Ill post tomorrow how it went
Unless you expect Cadillac ride quality you will not be disappointed in a Factory equipped Z71 package. It's basically a slightly stiffer shock and really that is about all.

No I do not have the truck, but it's a factory production vehicle meant to appease the majority of consumers and is not at all catered to the 'off-road only' community.
If you like the Z71 for any reasons, I feel you should not look elsewhere because of ride quality.
post #46 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

cool. i ordered the z71. test drove a diesel z71 today and was great. Really rode as good or better than my 2015 tss 4x4 Tundra crew. Really liked it. Also found out if i put the 5.5 bds lift it will ride better than stock on either model. So real happy and hopefully the 3/7 tpw doesn't get moved back
post #47 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
cool. i ordered the z71. test drove a diesel z71 today and was great. Really rode as good or better than my 2015 tss 4x4 Tundra crew. Really liked it. Also found out if i put the 5.5 bds lift it will ride better than stock on either model. So real happy and hopefully the 3/7 tpw doesn't get moved back

Hate to tell you bro but that's my build date so it looks like yours is going to get pushback. Lol
post #48 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:43 PM

Oh right. Rear right passenger tire was leaking all week. Turned out to be a nail. America's Tire/Discount Tire patched it for free. The tech who helped me has an 88 S-15 and was envious of the Canyon, said he's trying to save for a bare bones extended cab model cux the 88 is starting to show its age with high mileage issues starting to pop up more often. Has the 4.3 fortunately though. The 84, s-10 my little brother inherited from my grandpa had the 2.8. Bleh lol.

Last edited by helgaiden; 02-26-2016 at 05:48 PM.
post #49 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhm View Post
Hate to tell you bro but that's my build date so it looks like yours is going to get pushback. Lol

LOL
We apparently are all in the same boat. Mine is 3/7 as well.
post #50 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:09 PM

Mine has been in the shop for the past week for a rattle in the steering column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #51 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:19 PM

Good news with my blower motor issue. They opened it up and found a cable disconnected. Connection was fine so they think it might have just been loose from the factory and my first drive knocked it loose. Other than this the truck has been flawless.
k7tnt, lqdchkn, KS_Jetta and 6 others like this.
post #52 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

great news
post #53 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:27 PM

I posted some of this in another thread but I thought i would post this here so all duramax owners know about the possible issue.

A fuel return line on the top of my motor came off and dumped 5 gal of diesel all over the motor and undersides. The dealer replaced the spring clamp with a adjustable hose clamp so there should be no additional problems. The jury is out if the spring clamp was insufficient to hold the pressure or if it was incorrectly installed at the time of build.

I picked up the truck today and the dealer has ordered new wheel well liners as they got saturated and still stink big time.. will have the dealer swap them on the first oil change.
The front right side CV unit was also replaced as it was defective from the factory and puked grease all over the right wheel well and the undersides.
I am still really happy with the truck and the Dealer's response to the issues. The Manager personally came out to the service area and assured me that they would do everything they can to make the truck as it should be.
HOLLYWOOD
Vinolush likes this.
post #54 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileywindham View Post
Mine has been in the shop for the past week for a rattle in the steering column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep me posted on this. I thought it was the air bag but maybe it is the entire column. It showed up halfway home on the first day of owning it. I haven't had a chance to get it into the dealer though so they haven't looked at it.

2016 Quad Cab Long Bed Duaramax Trail Boss (Laser Blue)

Ordered 11/21/15

Production 01/28/16 (Completed!)

Picked up 02/20/16
post #55 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 01:02 AM

I am a little surprised at how many initial issues there have been.
There are so few of these trucks out there, at this point, yet it seems there are quite a few that had to go back in for warranty repair of one thing or another.

Any one else think this rate of issues popping up is unusual?

One other observation I am noticing here is that very few of these issues are the same issues as others are having.
So maybe that is a good sign, that there is not mass amounts of repetitive failures showing up.
post #56 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1999 View Post
I am a little surprised at how many initial issues there have been.
There are so few of these trucks out there, at this point, yet it seems there are quite a few that had to go back in for warranty repair of one thing or another.

Any one else think this rate of issues popping up is unusual?

One other observation I am noticing here is that very few of these issues are the same issues as others are having.
So maybe that is a good sign, that there is not mass amounts of repetitive failures showing up.
Based on our own spreadsheet that shows around 80 built we've definitely had around 10% back in the shop for issues. Several are not diesel specific and more minor (i.e. my blower motor wire, rattles). I think there are only 3 issues that are diesel specific and more major (fuel line, ecm/bcm, limp mode regen). It does seem a bit high.
Vinolush and CC1999 like this.
post #57 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 05:04 PM

While installing the running boards, I did a quick snoop around underneath. The transmission oil pan has a drain plug.
Yesterday morning, temp was approx. 12F. Started truck and idled for 5 minutes. Temp gauge has budged but I was feeling warm air from the vents.
Not like having a blast furnace under the dash but I believe the electric heater makes a difference.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #58 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 02:52 AM

Over 500 miles here... Everything seems to be in order except for that maybe 4 days into ownership someone door dinged the Passenger rear wheel well :'(. Its a line the width of a dime it carved up paint and dented the metal. I'm only glad its not on the side that I see when walking up to the truck in the driveway. I haven't had the time to get the dealer or a shop to look at it but I'm sure its not great news.
post #59 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 09:07 AM

I've noticed I have to hold the steering wheel a bit to the left in order to track straight down the road.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #60 of 916 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
I've noticed I have to hold the steering wheel a bit to the left in order to track straight down the road.
Tacking to the left is normal as the road is usually made with a slight tilt to the passenger side to drain water. If the pull is too hard you might want to check the alignment. Or it could be the steering wheel alignment if there is no pull at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode