DIESEL owners, please post (good & bad) weekly updates here - Page 44 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 443Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #861 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Garage
Just got the truck back , had a P0299 turbo under boost. First try was a new turbo, failed again after 20 miles. Second attempt, NOX sensor and ECM update, made it 70mi before next fail. Final fix was to pressure test the intake system with smoke and find the cracked pipe. When I took it in I told the SA that I had seen the cracked pipe on the forum so when I picked it up, he said you were right, pipe fixed it.
I have now had the truck 1 year and at 22k miles. Love the truck, so far I have averaged about 27.5 MPG. The DIC. Shows best mileage for 25 miles is 54. I'm sure that is a trip down from the VA house, 6000' to 250' here, the first 20 miles are all throttle off exhaust brake on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #862 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:39 AM

Ran my first bed load in the truck yesterday. About 530 lbs in the bed, wife, kids, full tank of gas.... 15 mins of idling and my mileage was 27.7 mpg in tow haul mode over ~40 miles round trip. The truck felt better loaded down with what I consider a descent load.

Only mod is the ProFab intake... but that was phenomenal mileage.

2016 Z71 Midnight Edition Colorado w/ Duramax and Bose/Nav.
post #863 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:17 PM

Garage
11 weeks 2300 miles.....all around town....only put in $210.00 in it so far and still have half a tank with over 300 miles on this tank...have zero problems....no noises or rattles.....the diesel is a super engine

pictures on my profile of my truck during
assembly on 01-09-2017 Wentzville Mo.

Ordered and purchased at Wallace Chevrolet Stuart, Florida

post #864 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wweilbacher View Post
Good: Over 6ooo miles and no problems or complaints.
Installed the Duramax DSP 4 tune and it is more responsive, shifts noticeably smoother and the MPG's have picked up.

Bad: I wish I had a longer drive so I would have more time to spend in the truck, as it is a pleasure to drive.
If you are using a tuner, don't rely on the DIC to give you accurate mileage results. I know on the full size Dmax, tuners can give false readings of more than 2 mpg's. When I had a tuner on my 06, it told me I was getting 22mpg and had a fuel range of 800 miles. Yeah, right.
post #865 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
If you are using a tuner, don't rely on the DIC to give you accurate mileage results. I know on the full size Dmax, tuners can give false readings of more than 2 mpg's. When I had a tuner on my 06, it told me I was getting 22mpg and had a fuel range of 800 miles. Yeah, right.
With my Duramaxtuner I am seeing about 1.5mpg better on the DIC than hand calculated

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock, Sports bar, Black 5" assist steps, EGT and Boost Gauge with custom bezel mount
AFE Magnum Intake and Bladerunner Hot/Cold side Kit
Duramaxtune DSP-4 Tuning
AFE Rebel side exit turbo back w/ Black tips

post #866 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. This tank won't show much if any improvement since I have done several WOT runs and been generally playing with the new responsiveness.
I'll monitor it over the next couple tanks and see for sure and then report back.

2016 Colorado CCSB, Duramax Z71 4x4, bose, nav, leveling kit, retrax bed cover, linex, Westin Sportsman Grill Guard Winch, Westin T-Max 9500lb winch with Synthetic line, Mictuning curved light bar, Undercover swing case's.
Duramax Turner DSP 4

post #867 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Haha, that's definitely true. I flashed the EcoBoost once and had a range of somewhere near 800, that tank got like 540 miles---that's with a 36 gallon tank 😐. That thing was finicky with mileage, too.

2016 Z71 Midnight Edition Colorado w/ Duramax and Bose/Nav.
post #868 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stw146 View Post
Just got the truck back , had a P0299 turbo under boost. First try was a new turbo, failed again after 20 miles. Second attempt, NOX sensor and ECM update, made it 70mi before next fail. Final fix was to pressure test the intake system with smoke and find the cracked pipe. When I took it in I told the SA that I had seen the cracked pipe on the forum so when I picked it up, he said you were right, pipe fixed it.
I have now had the truck 1 year and at 22k miles. Love the truck, so far I have averaged about 27.5 MPG. The DIC. Shows best mileage for 25 miles is 54. I'm sure that is a trip down from the VA house, 6000' to 250' here, the first 20 miles are all throttle off exhaust brake on.
just got mine back and it was same issue. Cracked pipe on the intake.
post #869 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:50 AM

Got it Oct 2016 with the Chevy shake. 7 weeks total at the dealer and they found an out of round tire causing the shake.

2500 miles and now have EGT sensor issue. Also needed to change the oil as truck had been sitting on the showroom floor for almost 6 months.
post #870 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:36 PM

Garage
anyone experiencing at red light take off if you punch it a vibration or rattle before the turbo spools up? and only then does it happen, im wondering if the turbo has an issue or its that electrical box guys on here are saying it needs to be remounted with rubber behind it. But it isnt at idle. Just when i mash on the throttle from take off, just till the truck gets moving then its gone. Its like the turbo is having trouble spooling up with the load before it gets rolling. But im not ruling out other things touching, this is just what it feels like. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
post #871 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready81 View Post
anyone experiencing at red light take off if you punch it a vibration or rattle before the turbo spools up? and only then does it happen, im wondering if the turbo has an issue or its that electrical box guys on here are saying it needs to be remounted with rubber behind it. But it isnt at idle. Just when i mash on the throttle from take off, just till the truck gets moving then its gone. Its like the turbo is having trouble spooling up with the load before it gets rolling. But im not ruling out other things touching, this is just what it feels like. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I never mash the throttle from a stop on a diesel truck, the trick is to roll on the throttle to minimize torque management, also mistaken for turbo lag.

Really hard to tell any noise without a sound clip of some sort.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #872 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:48 PM

Garage
I get that, I've owned every diesel made, I do roll it, but in certain circumstances you have to get out the way of fast moving on coming traffic and it's a vibration not a rattle if I said that I apologize. I really have to baby it to keep the feeling from coming in. I'm going to investigate it more tomorrow. Thanks
post #873 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:52 PM

Garage
In a bind in the snow trying to get out , it sucks too it's all or nothing and I didn't like that, I tried 2 pedaling it and spooling up the turbo, but it's not great in this little 4 banger.lol
post #874 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I'm gonna say that is part of the torque management system, fits the bill. Most people mistaken it for turbo lag but it's your emissions system preventing you from creating a big puff of soot. Delete that emissions and you'd understand what I mean.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

2016 CC EB Colorado Midnight Edition 2.8L Duramax 4x4
Fab Four Premium Front Bumper / Winch
Mann 200 Provent
1.5" Wheel Spacers w/ 275/70/R18 KO2's On the Midnight edition Rims
5.5" Lift From Zone w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks in rear,Fox 2.5 Front Shocks w/ DSC Adjusters
Spray In Bed Liner, Full Leather, Bose, Nav, Sidesteps, Weathertech Floormates, Tuxedo bed cover, HiLift Jack
BajaKits Upper Control Arms
Afe Turbo back exhaust, Afe Black hot and cold pipes
ProFab Intake pipe
post #875 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjsully2 View Post
I'm gonna say that is part of the torque management system, fits the bill. Most people mistaken it for turbo lag but it's your emissions system preventing you from creating a big puff of soot. Delete that emissions and you'd understand what I mean.

Emissions, torque management, turbo lag etec etc etc doesn't explain the vibration/rattle he is experiencing.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #876 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
Emissions, torque management, turbo lag etec etc etc doesn't explain the vibration/rattle he is experiencing.
his truck is heavily modified, something could be installed loose.

Mann 200 Provent
5.5" Lift From Zone w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks in rear,Fox 2.5 Front Shocks w/ DSC Adjusters
Spray In Bed Liner, Full Leather, Bose, Nav, Sidesteps, Weathertech Floormates, Tuxedo bed cover, HiLift Jack
ProFab Intake pipe
post #877 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:03 PM

For me the ECU rattle was a low pitched drumming that happened in a narrow RPM band just barely above idle. It was easily fixed but thus doesn't sound like your issue.

I had another loud wide-band rattle (more of a loud buzz) that lasted until I rolled off the throttle at cruising speed. It was most active around 1700rpm under load. Try giving your front fenders a gentle thump below the windshield pillar.
If you get a loud rattle seemingly from the top of the wheel arch, pull the wheel and the wheel well liner. You will see a plastic support between the fender and truck structure centered at the top of the arch. The support is bonded to the fender with noise damping foam adhesive.
The issue is that the inside surface is attached to the structure with a couple hard plastic expanding nubs. Don't try to remove anything but work a little construction adhesive or RTV into the crevice between the structure and the plastic support. Do this near the top and bottom attach points.
Reinstall the liner, wait for the adhesive to dry and you'll have a nice solid non-rattling fender. I did both sides and my truck is quieter than it's ever been.
There is some more detail in a "Rattle" thread in the diesel forum. I included a pic from the top side but this is easiest to reach from bottom with the well liner removed.

Quote:
In a bind in the snow trying to get out , it sucks too it's all or nothing and I didn't like that, I tried 2 pedaling it and spooling up the turbo, but it's not great in this little 4 banger.lol
Quote:
post #878 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjsully2 View Post
his truck is heavily modified, something could be installed loose.

a loose component would explain a vibration/rattle. As I mentioned earlier: Emissions, torque management, turbo lag etc etc etc doesn't explain the vibration/rattle he is experiencing.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."

Last edited by ssgjurista; 04-30-2017 at 02:21 PM.
post #879 of 916 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
a loose component would explain a vibration/rattle. As I mentioned earlier: Emissions, torque management, turbo lag etc etc etc doesn't explain the vibration/rattle he is experiencing.
Not sure why you're so standoffish, just my two cents no need to be a dick....

Mann 200 Provent
ProFab Intake pipe
post #880 of 916 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 12:23 AM

Transmission temps on my Colorado seem to run higher than most. I see 230 quite often, any suggestions? Dealer says it's fine. I don't want to end up replacing the transmission at a 100k, it'd be my first transmission and I'd rather that it not be my first.

-mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode