DIESEL owners, please post (good & bad) weekly updates here - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 433Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

DIESEL owners, please post (good & bad) weekly updates here

Hoping new owners give regular weekly updates on how their new trucks are doing. Some of us waiting to get there trucks ,me,haha, would really like to see multiple posters especially with good reviews no issues but both and how they like it and if they would of chose different route after having it. Mine is due in mid month in March and really like some real reviews on as many as possible. talking about the 2.8 diesel trucks.
EFog likes this.

Last edited by crappie man; 02-24-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 02:08 PM

Subscribed!!!!
In the same boat, reading and watching reviews helps pass the time wile we wait on our trucks to be built.
post #3 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 02:10 PM
ADMIN

Garage
I just replaced my windshield last week and got my tire spiked last night.

Do those count?

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #4 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 02:29 PM

https://youtu.be/z-I2YH9NrBM

I'm also posting in the MPG thread so keep an eye out.

0 issues so far other than a vibration sound coming from the front of the truck when I'm in drive at a stop light (foot on brake). I dot remember that sound being there. I don't hear it in park or neutral. As soon as I take my foot off the brake it goes away too. I'll bring it up to the dealer at my first oil change but it doesn't really bother anyways since it meshes with the sound of the diesel lol.
post #5 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue15ColoradoLT View Post
...and got my tire spiked last night.
Probably for being a trouble maker
post #6 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 03:41 PM

Garage
Fine so far, it has 812 miles already in less than one week of enjoying my Canyon. Only gripe I have is downshifting the transmission too fast when I go down a steep hill while easing off the gas (diesel).
post #7 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

great. Owners keep us going this really is great info for all waiting and wondering
post #8 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon16Dmax View Post
Fine so far, it has 812 miles already in less than one week of enjoying my Canyon. Only gripe I have is downshifting the transmission too fast when I go down a steep hill while easing off the gas (diesel).
I've noticed that myself on flat ground, but have come to appreciate it.
I've also noticed that there's either torque management or something else happening around shifts between gears 3-5. I've noticed the 'tone' of the engine changes a few seconds before a shift. Something is happening but haven't been able to catch it on a log yet.

It's a very slight annoyance I notice maybe once or twice a week. Even by mentioning it I feel like I'm over exaggerating.
post #9 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:00 PM

Ive had mine for 5 days now. 600kms

I did a 3 hour round trip at 100km/hr (60mph) and got 7.8L/100km (31mpg) without even trying. my normal driving to work which is 25 minutes of highway i get about 8.4L/100km (28mpg). during this driving it never downshifts for hills and just has power at the ready. Passing cars was my concern that it would fall on its face, but it rocks past cars on the highway with no effort.

I have one complaint so far, the high beams just don't light up the road sides like I'm used to.

Cyber Grey CC SB 4wd LT
Canyon16Dmax and CC1999 like this.
post #10 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:24 PM

Have a little over 1000 mi on my Canyon SLT SB. Like it a lot. There's a slight up rev on I think the 1-2 shift sometimes. Just going to keep a watch for when the truck goes in for service. Most of the shifts are really smooth. Live in New Hampshire so there are lots of 30 - 35 MPH back roads. It doesn't get into 6th so fuel mileage takes a little hit. I'm still getting used to the truck and if it has a "learning" transmission it's still getting used to me. I really like the Diesel. No turbo noise at all as discussed in another thread. Outside the truck you can hear the tick tick at low speeds but don't even really hear that inside. Well insulated. The diesel has kind of a growl. Definitely diesel and that's what I wanted.
Have had 2 regens - one at 520 and second at 1005. They are kind of mild. RPMs don't seem to go as high as the LML did. At least it's not as noticeable and was over pretty quick both times. Stopped mid cycle and it just picked back up no problem. Have been using the Onstar app on my phone to start the truck.
Got the truck with Nav package which includes Bose speakers. The manual mentions DSP mode if equipped. I don't see anything like that on the Audio menus. So if it's not on the SLT with Nav package where is it.
For those waiting I think you'll be very pleased when you get in and drive it for the first time. Has a nice heavy feel and it fits easily into parking spots.
crew man likes this.
post #11 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:39 PM

2 days in and barely over 100miles so far but this AM I noticed a noise (rattle maybe) behind the passenger side of the dash while backing out. Did not notice it when I shifted into D though and Im still getting all the new noises so not sure if is really anything yet.

Also while I consider myself familiar with diesels, this is my first civilian diesel vehicle and while im not surprised at the drivability, I find myself surprised, lol

Based on all the reviews I was expecting a high likely hood of a different experience in responsiveness but come to find out it drives just like every other diesel. Not that Im disappointed per-se but some of the reviews out there kinda alluded me to thinking this was going to be more "car" like. There is even a post here commenting such and the OP was remarking on his disappointment. Don't fool yourself it's still a diesel. lol
savagebob and one2doo like this.
post #12 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

im confused by responsiveness.I was thinking it would be better than that of the v6 but just maybe not from a stop. Figured it would be very good. I know my 06 Ford 3/4 ton diesel crew 4x4 was great and it had a 4 in lift and 35s. It was great. HAd a Ecodiesel when they first came out and that truck is very nice and had great power feel and was very smooth . No nothing like the hemi from stop but it was real good other than dead stop and still wasn't bad.
post #13 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 10:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2DMAX Send a message via MSN to 2DMAX
Have had my truck for 6 days now, 320 miles and still have a half tank of fuel left, my '97 F150 (with 4.2L V6 and 24 gallon tank) would be on the way to the gas station with the low fuel light on. Absolutely love the truck...but, there is a huge problem...wife has cut off the modification funds already. Have a Zone level kit to put on but can't because I do not know how to convince her that a new truck "needs" an alignment.
ekko and 2016Duramax like this.
post #14 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappie man View Post
im confused by responsiveness.
The ratio of far/fast you need to push the throttle to how fast if feels like you are going.
post #15 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

thx for explanation
post #16 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DMAX View Post
Have had my truck for 6 days now, 320 miles and still have a half tank of fuel left, my '97 F150 (with 4.2L V6 and 24 gallon tank) would be on the way to the gas station with the low fuel light on. Absolutely love the truck...but, there is a huge problem...wife has cut off the modification funds already. Have a Zone level kit to put on but can't because I do not know how to convince her that a new truck "needs" an alignment.

so funny!!
one2doo likes this.
post #17 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
2 days in and barely over 100miles so far but this AM I noticed a noise (rattle maybe) behind the passenger side of the dash while backing out. Did not notice it when I shifted into D though and Im still getting all the new noises so not sure if is really anything yet.

Also while I consider myself familiar with diesels, this is my first civilian diesel vehicle and while im not surprised at the drivability, I find myself surprised, lol

Based on all the reviews I was expecting a high likely hood of a different experience in responsiveness but come to find out it drives just like every other diesel. Not that Im disappointed per-se but some of the reviews out there kinda alluded me to thinking this was going to be more "car" like. There is even a post here commenting such and the OP was remarking on his disappointment. Don't fool yourself it's still a diesel. lol
So are you calling it a pokemax too?
post #18 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 11:30 PM

So I have just over 500 miles on mine. The lag I experience I feel is from the truck shifting to 6th on coast and then having to downshift to the appropriate gear for the speed I'm going when I push the gas. I drove it in manual mode a bit and it seems to help. I will get to experiment more this weekend as I'll finally get to drive it again (I've only driven it twice so far).

Halfway home my steering wheel picked up a rattle. I have determined its the airbag/horn (if I hold it, it does away). My dealership doesn't yet have a Minimax and the guys are wanting to see it so bad I'll be bringing it by Saturday and I'll bring that up to them.

Otherwise, I am much happier than the reviews I had read about the responsiveness. I was almost afraid I was going to hate not having driven it before I ordered it by some of the reviews I had read about how much of a slouch it seemed to be. I had an Express 3500 with the Dmax (2007) with just a 4 speed (vans can't take the Allison). That had 450 ft/lb and 250 horse... and this feels just as fast if not faster to me than it did. The truck is super quiet, and at cruise the diesel feels almost non existent. Chevy really has stepped up the game, and I'm very satisfied. To give relevance to my claim, I drive both a decently modified Mitsubishi Evolution (2006 I've had it since brand new) and a Jeep SRT Grand Cherokee (200, so I'm used to getting up and going. Considering this is a 4 cylinder diesel I am definitely impressed with it. I have to sell the Jeep and the Colorado is a worthy replacement IMHO.

2016 Quad Cab Long Bed Duaramax Trail Boss (Laser Blue)

Ordered 11/21/15

Production 01/28/16 (Completed!)

Picked up 02/20/16
post #19 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper2001 View Post
So are you calling it a pokemax too?
Not at all. Lets just say because of the reviews I thought it would be more like a gas vehicle. I'm totally fine with it driving like a diesel...it's a diesel, lol I just thought Chevy had figured out some "magic" from the way the reviewers were talking about it
post #20 of 873 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 12:51 AM

Garage
I am very happy with the truck so far. My '15 has more giddyup off the line, but the on-demand torque with the Duramax is much more desireable. Shifting has been nearly flawless as well. I have about 380 miles on it now. I had an issue with poor MPG during the first 60 miles or so, but ever since, I have averaged 27.4. I am hoping for a little better though considering my driving style and mostly freeway miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DMAX View Post
Have a Zone level kit to put on but can't because I do not know how to convince her that a new truck "needs" an alignment.
I bought the Zone kit as well, but haven't installed it yet either. What really surprises me is how much better the factory stance is on the Duramax. It is nearly identical from the factory as my '15 with the Zone installed. I haven't measured yet, but going with more lift than the Zone would likely be too much. I am actually debating whether or not I need to install it (I had purchased the kit before taking delivery of the truck). I'm glad Chevy fixed that ridiculous rake!
Esoxchaser likes this.

‘16 Colorado LT CC LB Duramax - Brownstone, Bose, Luxury Pkg, Safety Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Trailering Pkg/Locking rear diff, Wheel flares, BORA 1.5" wheel spacers, Iron Cross Patriot Running Boards, Line-X. Planned mods: Zone 1.25" level. SOLD: '15 Colorado LT V6. Threw kitty litter on that turd....... and dumped it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode