Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

DuramaxTuner Discussion

96K views 260 replies 62 participants last post by  Pswa320 
#1 · (Edited)
Starting a thread for discussion on DuramaxTuner specific tunes and support conversation.

Lets start of with just ordered :grin2:

#5 ·
Ive read it can data log so that you can return a file to the tuner to review and they can make changes to the tune but no I don't think it has the capability to monitor live data like youre thinking.

#7 ·
Edge CTS2 would be a good one, but i'm sure it'll be awhile til they support the twins. I use an ultragauge in our jeep ecodiesel. mainly got it to monitor when a regen is going on. it's pretty good for the price too!

#23 ·
I tried several of the PIDs listed and didn't seem to get anything out of them.
I tried:
All the Fuel Rail Pressures
All the Catalyst Temperatures
Turbo RPM
EGT Bank 2
All the IATs

One IAT gave me a return but it was a constant number and never seemed to change:
PID # 68
Equation A - 40

Perhaps I'm not doing something correctly or it just isn't the correct PID for IAT.

I actually have no idea what I'm doing and just plugging them in to see which ones work with some trial and error.

#25 ·
Anyone else have this spade tune.

I was finally going to put mine in today and play around with it, but either i did something wrong or?

The instructions want you to downlosd your stock tune first. And it says it takes 4 to 5 min.
Well it instantly says that its memory is full everytime i try and store the factory tune. I am little scared to go on and change the factory tune without knowing it's already stored.

Also i could have swore they told me the spade came with a stock tune already in it. If that is true then the instructions are off a bit, and that would explain why its memory is already full.

Anyone have any insight on this?

#26 ·
Yes, I messed with mine this weekend too.

The SPADE is full with the ECM and TCM tunes, there is no free room. You will need to Download EFI Live:

http://download.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILiveV8.2.2.290_Setup.exe

Install it and the copy your DT tunes from the SPADE to your computer, delete them from your SPADE, Read your OEM ECM and TCM files, Copy them to your Computer and replace the DT ECM and TCM tunes onto the SPADE, Flash.

Here's a how-to for copying the files, it's basically drag and drop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v82Ogn0Cw6o&t=5m28s

That being said I asked for the stock ECM and TCM tunes and they emailed them to me so I had them. Of course my OCD still kicked in knowing "those weren't exactly the ones from my truck" so I did the above without issue.

You should want to copy your DT tunes to your PC anyway incase something ever happened to your SPADE you could have backups

#31 ·
Ok, spoke with Dmax Tuners today.

Apparently the problem was with the version of instructions they sent with mine.
They have taken care of that for future orders.

The reason my spade is full, is because my stock tunes are already installed in it.
I can skip over all those early steps for capturing that stock data and move right onto tuning the truck.

Plug and play just as promised. Mine just had some older instructions in the box.
Problem solved.

They do have some fast first class customer service.

#33 ·
I should be able to post a couple reviews this week.

I plan to start with the trying out the engine tunes, then I plan to add in the trans tunes so I can see what the differences are.

#35 · (Edited)
So I can report that the TCM tuning is what I needed. I spend a lot of time at light throttle on city streets where MPH is 35-40 and having the truck burning 1900 rpm in 4th at 40mph was annoying. Having to speed up to 41mph to get it to shift and then back off was also annoying, especially when traffic speeds wouldn't allow it.

With the TCM tuning Im now getting the 4-5shift at 37mph, much more reasonable.

As for the ECM tuning. I only did one test with tune 3 "Sport" were things seemed to be a bit hot on the EGTs over stock. I was concerned so I went back to tune 1 "Stock Optimized" until I can talk to them about it. There is a caveat with this that things still weren't out of line with what other members have seen stock and with the sensor im monitoring we don't know where it is and what it's readings are compared to the aftermarket sensor DT used to tune the motor.

I called them this this morning and they are supposed to benchmark the OEM sensor im using to their sensor so we can better understand where warnings should be using the OEM sensor. - This is a WIN for their customer service in my book.

#37 ·
You guys obviously know way more about this stuff than I do..

Im a prospective Duramax buyer and I am still in research phase. Im looking for your input.

I found a company called duramaxtuner.com who has a few posts on youtube that do not go into any technical detail, but show what appears to be a ready-made product. It appears all dialed-in. Heres a link: https://youtu.be/x0mfPvcPG4s

Im a total noob on this, though.. Im mainly interested in maximizing MPGs and Torque, not at the same time necessarily. They have a 5 position switchable plug n play application that really appeals to me.

Does anyone here have any input on the value of their tunes? their system?

Please keep in mind I do not know all the technical jargon. Thanks!

#41 ·
keep me posted as I want to add the tuner if all I have to do is plug it in set it to the setting of 230 hp and 440 torque and im good. Just need to remember to change it when towing to stock or something. They said this is easy but I don't have clue on how to do any of it. So hopefully it is as easy as they say.

#43 ·
Ok. Have a couple questions.
I think I got my tune or one of the tunes installed. There is some extra steps the first time through. Something to do with the licensing step.

Question 1. I didn't get a choice of which tune to install. Only got to OK the licensing step. Then it did its thing just as the instruction said.
Once all done I it said to unplug the spade and try starting. I did, it started no engine lights all seemed good. I took it for a test drive. Seems noticeably peppier. So I am 95% sure one of the custom tunes is in it. Not sure how to tell which one. Anyone know which tune it puts in the first time through?

Question 2. Only problem I am seeing so far is, that the truck is giving me ice warnings beacuse it thinks it's 37 degrees outside when it's really 60 degrees outside. It's seems to be stuck since I started off in my 70 degree climate controlled garage, and went for a 10 mile drive and it has showed and stills shows my outside temp is only 37 degrees. Anyone ever hear of that happening before, and how do I fix it.

#45 ·
Thanks, these Dmax tuner spades are an EFI live part. I only drove maybe 10 miles, I'll see what happens if I drive it a bit farther. I tried starting and restarting 4 maybe 5 times no effect.

How far do you think you had to drive to get it to reset?

#46 ·
I retread the instructions and at the bottom it says optimized stock is the default tune. It is my guess that is what is in it. That is tune 1.
Anyone have the performance breakdown of each of these levels? Optimized stock sure didn't feel like stock to me, I am thinking it must have added something. I think I'm going to mention to them that it might be nice to include power numbers in a little chart of some sort to the instructions.

#47 ·
Ok, all is good now with outside temp. I took it for another drive, about 4 miles in the outside temp climbed back to where it should be.

This time I took it out in tune 4. Holly crap that is just bad Azz !!!:grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

I found on the website these tune details

1. (Optimized Stock +10HP) - Power level near stock for towing at or over max GVWR. Also useful for when the truck is driven by those who do not need the extra power and torque.

2. Tow Tune (+32HP/30Ft-lbs) - This file is designed to incorporate appropriate power and torque gains for use when towing. Greatly improves your abiilty to get the load up to speed and maintian it on grades or while passing.

3. Sport Economy Tune (+45HP / 60Ft-Lbs) - A very fun tune that is reccomended for daily driving use in unloaded scenarios. This tune has a little bit too much mustard for extended high output pulls such as those you'd encounter while towing.

4. Performance Tune (+52HP/80Ft-lbs): No explanation needed. This is edge of performance balanced with long term reliability. Enjoy!

So what's is the down side to. Leaving it in tune 4?
As long as your not towing.

Next I need to try the trans tune.

Tune 1 was an instantly noticeable nice improvement.

Tune 4 is a riot !!!

Totally different truck then stock.

#50 ·
So what's is the down side to. Leaving it in tune 4?
As long as your not towing.
Not sure but you shouldn't tow in 3 either according to the description. I'm thinking it's the soot build up. It's too soon to tell but I think I noticed significantly more soot buildup on my drive home from work in tune 3 vs to work in tune 1. I'll be able to tell better/more on my way to work tomorrow morning.

#48 ·
Glad the temp came back for you. It took all of 10 miles at least for mine both times. It's nerve racking, glad mine isn't the only one and now we can let others know ahead of time not to worry.

I like hearing this feedback and look forward to more results, especially mpg. Tune 3 is most likely the peak mpg tune. To a point the hotter the tune becomes the more economical it becomes, right before the limit that will push the performance boundary a bit further but at the expense of economy. I'd image that's the difference in 3 and 4, where 3 is the power with economy limit, while 4 pushes it past the economical point to get max power.

#49 · (Edited)
I was seeing some crazy reading from the instant mpg gauge. At one point I thought I was in mph mode not mpg mode on the center display. Lol. I was cruising the freeway at 65 or so mph, and barly touching the throttle when I glanced down and saw 40-50 mpg. It dropped back into the 20s as soon as I went up a hill and gave it more throttle. If that mpg gauge is at all still accurate post tune, it's no doubt going to improve the fuel mileage quite a bit. After studying the mileage a wile in that last test run in tune 4 only, I would guess it will average out to 15-20% gain. If the trans tune improve on it from there, it's going to add up to some impressive numbers likely landing it in the 30s. Mine has been floating in the 22-24mpg range for the first 1500 miles of pre tuned 100% stock driving.

#51 · (Edited)
#52 ·
Yes, better fuel economy should = less soot and less soot should = less regens. But from what I saw today on my way to work soot level went from about 30% to about 37% on tune 1. On the way home on tune 3 with less traffic, soot was up to 54% (I think, something in the low 50s anyway) more than double the soot for the same trip.

Now that was only the first real drive on tune 3 and the soot level does fluctuate so on my way to work it could go down a tad before accumulating again but at this point initial indications are that this will cause more regens.

Again take it for what it's worth. It's too early to know for sure. Just stating my observations thus far:wink2:

#55 · (Edited)
Yes throttle response is improved.

As for my earlier comments on the potential of extra soot still unfounded. The soot percentage was at 54% when I left for work and seemed to follow the same routine; which is that it builds up, reduces and the builds again. On my way to work it had reduced to about 40% at one point and then reaccumulated to the mid 50s by the time I got to work. Only way to know for sure is going to be to keep an eye on it and I think I'll add a gauge to track the "mean mileage between regens" to help. Stay tuned :wink2:

#54 ·
Generally they reduce egr, and this reduces soot, and this reduces the need for regens, and this alone improves mpg.

Other programing parameters (i.e. earlier torque convertor lock up) can also improve mpg if you can keep your foot out of it.

Reactions: jrhughes501
#58 · (Edited)
My past experience with tuning diesel trucks like this back 10-12 years ago, was like that as well. A tuned PSD 7.3 always showed more MPGs then it was actually getting, but when in stock form it would be relatively accurate. I am curios as well to see how accurate the computer is now with the tune in place. It was prior to the tune I was off less then 1/2 an mpg, and I do top off in effort to attempt to get the most accurate hand calc that I can get. I should be able to get you the answers your looking for over the next couple weeks.

Reactions: jrhughes501
#59 ·
I test drove this truck last Saturday. I'm sold on this 2.8 now 100%, I was shocked by the power it had stock. I will be getting the tune for it.

#60 ·
For anyone wondering. Soot crept up to 60% then back down again, staying somewhere in the high 50% range so this may be normal behavior.

I'm testing a formula that tracks the avg mileage between regens so I have no idea if what I'm seeing is accurate but so far it looks like my truck is averaging a regen about every 570 miles.

Does that sound right to anyone?

#63 ·
You guys really need to step on the throttle more. Don't be scared every once in a while to do a good full throttle run. It'll help with the whole regeneration not happening so often and more importantly will help clean out the combustion chamber. I now have 1200km on my truck and no regeneration yet

#64 ·
I would do that more, but it seems to shift happy for a diesel when you step on it. I have noticed what you mean at slow speeds though....but it's hard to feather it heavier just right as it seems to build faster if it drops a gear revs up toward 3k. Gets kinda annoying trying to find the right input that is a medium and loads her up good and gets you going without dropping down a gear unnecessarily. And at highway speeds for passing it's almost like it really could use a few more gears so the pulling rear end can be compensated for with another road gear or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.