Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

New exhaust setup - bunch of photos and a video

31K views 158 replies 39 participants last post by  hacklerjason 
#1 · (Edited)
Ditched the stock setup and got a custom solution. 3" with a resonator and muffler. Not too loud but a bit of nice sound under load. Smokes a little on start up and when you first take off.

YouTube Video

See less See more
#4 ·
If it's registered for license plates, I don't think anyone will buy that.

#7 · (Edited)
Also to the others - what is it that is illegal about the setup?
I don't even know where to begin with this. But I'll try: VW dieselgate.

EDIT: It occurs to me that as a gasoline guy you may not be aware that the pictures posted by MNT250 demonstrate the removal of federally mandated emissions equipment. In this case the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) and Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

#8 ·
Ahh, definitely a reportable incidence then.
Right, I don't know what a diesel exhaust is supposed to look like so having pictures didn't clue me in at all.

At least it's discreetly posted in a safe and secure location here on the internet. LOL

Some people hide from the government by unplugging their OnStar module. Others hide by posting pictures on the internet. Funny.

#9 · (Edited)
No worries. On a visit to the RenCen last week I learned that GM has web crawler software that captures stuff like this and flags people's warranties.

Too late to delete anymore pictures Micah. I think I'd call a lawyer if I were you.

#10 ·
Well, we do know GM Customer Care monitors the site............

#12 · (Edited)
Enough from the peanut gallery. Very comedic. Thanks guys, very constructive. A shame about the warranty, you mean I won't have to take my truck in after 2000 miles for a plugged DPF? And they won't scratch my fender up while fixing it under 'warranty'? That's a shame. Guess i'll have to do my own repairs from now on. :( GM has come a long way. A few months ago they couldn't even seem to manage shipping a vehicle in a timely manner now they are crawling the internet and cross referencing data to void warranties? LOL!!!

It's really too bad for diesel in general what volkswagen did. Now enthusiasts attack each other, spout off about warranty concerns, EPA fines and worse can't genuinely talk about anything. It's sad. Do not see this going on on the gasoline side, on motorcycle forums or anywhere else for removing a cat. It's just unreal to me the attitude.

That looks great, congrats. How does it drive?

Also, what muffler is that? Is that all 3"?
Thanks man. Drives great, makes a good difference. It's a just a stainless high flow muffler. 3" the whole way. Outlet from the turbo is 2"

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wow, a lot of useless whining here. If you are all concerned so much about the EPA and the environment why arent you all driving a nissan leaf. You dont hear this stupidity on the big duramax forums about the trucks that spew out black smoke running down the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds not being EPA friendly...

Awesome mod, lets hear about how it works, driving impressions, tuning, milage, dyno numbers, etc...

#25 ·
Why does everyone jump on anyone that changes out their exhaust on here? If you like it let him know, if you don't like it feel free to start your own thread about how much you disagree with tampering with emissions equipment. The constant beatings over stupid thing you don't like is what destroys forums for most of us.

#28 ·
It was all put together relatively cheap, it was not a purchased system by a vendor. Obviously due to the nature of it people going this route will need to have the know how to do it themselves. I did the programming for the ECM, no issues or check engine light in 500 miles so far. No drone or annoying sound, just a little nicer tone under load.

I was running the calibrated power/duramax tuner tune prior to this and I do miss the raw power but I was doing a regen every less than 200 miles. Not good for the life of the truck, not good for the environment, not good for my MPG. During regen in city driving when it was warm out I would see trans temps of 220 F.. Not good. Mileage i'm seeing about a 5 mpg gain on average. Since then I have run a full tank of biodiesel B99 and the truck seems happy with it. Runs smooth and quiet. Performance does seem better than what I remember stock being, but it has been awhile since I ran a stock tune and I haven't dynoed it so I don't know for certain what the numbers are like now.

I only wanted to share so other owners thinking about it know what to expect, i'm not flaunting it, I don't think laws don't apply to me and I do care about the environment. I assume anyone considering does know the risks involved, i'm only sharing my personal experience. It's a touchy subject (seemingly more so to people that don't actually drive diesels or a duramax twin at all somehow). I believe diesel vehicles make up something like .05% of the cars on the road in America? So why the such harsh over regulation? Even in my vehicles current state it will be much cleaner than the old diesels still on the road operating unregulated. Especially when running B99. Study after study shows larger particulate matter poses less harm than ultrafine particles they are replaced with that stay aerosolized and in our air for weeks or months. I have also read the result of NOX reducing urea reactions is more carcinogenic.. It's not so black and white. Of course you can just blindly start spouting off about dieselgate and this and that but if you aren't happy with it, go buy an electric car, stop picking on me, stop picking on diesels. All vehicles even those pose environmental harm to the environment it's just some look cleaner on the surface than others.

#29 ·
I have two tdi cup editions with rawtek dpf delete and egr delete, added the cr170 turbo

There plated in Oregon, no smog, no sniff, mileage up to 58mpg on the road

Keep up the good work and don't let the liberals pull you down....

FYI: two places with no sniff in Calif

Mammoth lakes and Imperial County ( brawley )

I hope the go after all the jets burning JET A, no cat's or dpf , every 747 uses 58 K gallon per fill up, on take off 3.3 yard per gallon

GB

#33 ·
Yeah, and a 747 carries over 300 people. Not too bad in emissions for a 800,000 lb airship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.