Low rpm rattle at firewall ( fixed ) - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ktaylor Send a message via Skype™ to Ktaylor
There is a service bulletin out for this. The dealer fixed mine by putting some foam in between the computer and the mount, it was good for a while, but now its doing it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktaylor View Post
There is a service bulletin out for this. The dealer fixed mine by putting some foam in between the computer and the mount, it was good for a while, but now its doing it again.
Please post the TSB number so it can be properly recorded for us in the TSB section.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 04:41 PM

Mine came back. This time I removed the plastic mount tray thingy and put neoprene foam rubber over the stud mounts and reinstalled it. Took all the foam out from behind the ecu unit, reinstalled.

This elminated about 90% of it. If it comes back I'm going to double up on the foam behind the tray and add foam washers behind the nuts so the tray is sandwiched.

There must be some kinda vibe there. There's not much play in there but if the engine lugs it rattles behind the dash. Has to be something on that firewall.

Chris Brown
2015 Colorado LT Ext-Cab 4X4 • I4 • Black/Black • Bose & Nav
Link for DIY: Cargo/Dog Platform Build For Ext-Cab

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 04:56 PM

I bought some of this stuff

for another purpose and cut a section about the same dimensions as the ECM, unclipped it from the top, tiled it forward slid this behind it and snapped it back in place. Seems to have done the job so far
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 05:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
There must be some kinda vibe there. There's not much play in there but if the engine lugs it rattles behind the dash. Has to be something on that firewall.
Reason for the ECM rattle is due to the wiring harness attached to it. The harness will vibrate because it is also attached up to the engine, when a diesel idles it shakes more. You can actually grab the harness and noise stops. Foam behind the ECM has done the trick for 6 months.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 07:35 PM

I also get this buzz on the firewall. It only happens during hot conditions, indicating that something expands just enough to cause contact.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:30 PM

Yup, this is the deal. That little plastic gismo is not sufficient to hold the ecu unit tight enough so it rattles.

Mine is 90% better but there's still a little bit there. I had a 3/16's thick piece of neoprene in there (mouse pad) and it was too thick so the clippy things at the top wouldn't grab well enough. Took that out and isolated the plastic thingy.

It's an insufficient design for what it does. I should invent a new ecu holder for this truck and make millions.

Chris Brown
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 08:01 AM

While I don't have access to the TSB, GM has released one for a rattle/vibration with three possible causes. One is the ECU.
The other two are the air cleaner intake tube inside the passenger fender vibrating against the fender. The other is a bracket for the heater hoses rattling against the firewall.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
While I don't have access to the TSB, GM has released one for a rattle/vibration with three possible causes. One is the ECU.
The other two are the air cleaner intake tube inside the passenger fender vibrating against the fender. The other is a bracket for the heater hoses rattling against the firewall.
That sounds like it could be a really good candidate to check also
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 PM

I am experiencing this issue and need help with a solution. I took my Z71 to the dealer and they applied the foam tape to the ECU as specified in the TSB (PIT5505). Unfortunately this did not solve my issue. The ECM still rattles and is easily movable by hand.

It's a PITA to get to the dealership to resolve things due to my work hours and their location, so I want to try to fix this myself before going back.

What should I buy (foam tape, foam, etc. (a link would be very much appreciated)) and where should I put it in order to solve this issue?
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 AM

I have re-mounted mine in a variety of ways and it still does it.
First I put foam tape behind it but that made the catches not grab well. So I took the whole bracket off and put neoprene pads under it and then mounted the holder with the ecu in it. It helped a lot so I put two layers of mouse pad neoprene pads under the mounting for it. Still every once in awhile I'll hear it. IMO it's a poor place for it. It should have been mounted on the fender well with some kind of foam mounting.

It only does it when the engine lugs, like slow accelleration at low speed. I've started using manual mode more and more to keep it in the sweet spot - from 2200-2800rpm. If you let it shift all the way up it lugs and then shifts down every time you put our foot on the gas. Very annoying. Regular D mode for the freeway only. It's still very nice on the freeway, quiet and smooth, sifts along at 75 and gets great mileage.

Chris Brown
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:29 AM

Okay, got my curiosity up again so I went out there to look for something that was a 'bracket for heater hoses' and did not see anything that looked remotely like that. The heater hoses connect to the firewall nipples - euro style with the clip in the plastic housing connector thingy. No brackets anywhere near there.

There are two brackets up high for the AC freon line that comes across at the back of the engine compartment but no play in either of those.

I did noticed the plastic cover over the motor was floating and very loose. Seemed like it could rattle if the engine was shaking just right. So I removed it and if floats on a rubber grommet bolted through it in one location near the front right behind the airbox. I put a heavy o-ring in there and a fender washer so when I tightened it down it holds the cover in place without any play. Took it out for a test drive and could not get it to rattle at all no matter how I drove it. So we'll see what it does over the next couple of days. Maybe that was it on mine. [shrug]
100MPG likes this.

Chris Brown
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:

I did noticed the plastic cover over the motor was floating and very loose. Seemed like it could rattle if the engine was shaking just right. So I removed it and if floats on a rubber grommet bolted through it in one location near the front right behind the airbox. I put a heavy o-ring in there and a fender washer so when I tightened it down it holds the cover in place without any play. Took it out for a test drive and could not get it to rattle at all no matter how I drove it. So we'll see what it does over the next couple of days. Maybe that was it on mine. [shrug]

Pics?
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:05 PM

Garage
I am going to have to check this out, I have a buzz at low rpm heavy load but I thought it was just the nature of the diesel, but it was louder than I felt it should be.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock, Sports bar, Black 5" assist steps, EGT and Boost Gauge with custom bezel mount (on order)
AFE Magnum Intake and Bladerunner Hot/Cold side Kit
Duramaxtune DSP-4 Tuning (full delete on order)
AFE Rebel side exit turbo back w/ Black tips (on order)

post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:01 PM

Check the heater pipes on the backside of the engine. They are mounted in a bracket style assembly.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Pics?
I don't have photos of placing an oring or washer on the mounting location, but here's the top engine cover on a I4 Colorado...
It sits behind and underneath the airbox across the front of the motor.

Oh, and no vibration noise today. I'm curious if it will do it when the AC compressor is running - that was an issue before - likely just extra load on the motor at that off-idle coast when you first accellerate - that is when mine would rattle.

I just don't think it's the ecu any more - besides, mine is mounted on neoprene pads to the firewall. Will post again in a week or two after testing it out under all conditions.

Chris Brown

Last edited by Browneye; 03-21-2017 at 04:38 PM.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:37 PM

My new truck just developed the noise. Sounds like something heavy softly knocking around in the glovebox area. Had not seen this thread yet, but after looking behind the glovebox and seeing nothing, opened the hood and the ECU seemed like a good candidate, so I took it out. If removing the ECU, it is a good idea to check the 3 mounting bolts for the plastic tray. Mine were a bit more than finger tight, but not what I would call snug, so I "snugged" them. They are small bolts, so I would not go crazy tightening them, but the ECU is a pretty heavy chunk of metal, so it makes sense to take up any play that may exist. Have not had a chance to see if that took care of it yet.

If my problem persists, I am wondering about gooping some good quality clear silicone caulk on the back of the ECU and sticking it in it's mount as that would cushion and adhere it all at the same time. It might not come out so easy next time, after doing a silicone job on it though.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 03-21-2017 at 05:39 PM.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I don't have photos of placing an oring or washer on the mounting location, but here's the top engine cover on a I4 Colorado...
It sits behind and underneath the airbox across the front of the motor.

Oh, and no vibration noise today. I'm curious if it will do it when the AC compressor is running - that was an issue before - likely just extra load on the motor at that off-idle coast when you first accellerate - that is when mine would rattle.

I just don't think it's the ecu any more - besides, mine is mounted on neoprene pads to the firewall. Will post again in a week or two after testing it out under all conditions.

D'oh

This is the diesel section so that's not likely a work-able fix for us since our engine bays are completely different.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:24 PM

I also had this issue but I assumed it was just the nature of a diesel and that I'd just tolerate it (doesn't happen all the time). But after reading this I went out and looked at it - sure enough there was a little play in it. When you take off the ECU you'll see two little tabs that push on the back of the ECU to keep it snug. So I just took some thick double sided tape I had and put a couple of small pieces on those tabs. I also put two small pieces of the tape on the edge of the ECU so that when I put it back in the holder it also had a tighter fit along the perimeter (hard to explain). That seems to have done the job, the sound seems to be gone. Thanks for the tip - had no idea it was just a vibration because it was quite loud.
Duken4evr likes this.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:25 AM

Remembered that I had some leftover self adhering dense foam that came with the new lithium battery for my dirt bike. Stuck it on the back of the ECM and remounted it, the rattle is history The plastic bracket for the ECM has a cavity in it, so I offset the foam to ride on the flat part to take up the clearance.

On an unrelated side note, after intalling my ECU foam, the phone rang, it was a friend who needed help with some stuff in his garage. Drove over in my truck with my hand truck to move his shit. He is a very picky and up front dude from New England who is your garden variety "ball busta". He was wondering why on earth I got a diesel, saying, "ya, they get great gas mileage, but that takes forever to pay off, and they are slow", etc.

Gave him the keys and said "lets take a drive." Drove around for a little (I have a pedal commander set at City -1 on it). He was amazed - loves how quiet, responsive and torquey the diesel motor is, and how nice the truck is to drive. A friend of his is going to buy a Denali, my buddy was gonna call him and tell him to get the diesel. Quite a compliment coming from that guy. Like I said, he is Mr. Picky. I bet his friend winds up with a diesel Denali.

Only have had my truck for a week now, but I love it more and more each passing day. Even fixing this rattle and adding the Peddle Commander is somewhat endearing. The truck is awesome, but it not perfect, it needs me. I tend to get more involved after laying my hands on my new machines
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1699.JPG (145.5 KB, 23 views)

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 03-22-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode