Low rpm rattle at firewall ( fixed ) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Low rpm rattle at firewall ( fixed )

In gear low rpm firewall rattle.......

I placed some closed cell .250 silicone foam between on the back of the computer to isolate the vibration, I showed this to the dealer at service...

If you need some let me know and I will send you some squares to place on the corners of the mount .

You just unclip the compute and install the seals .

LET ME KNOW AND I WILL POST YOU SOME..

GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 08:16 PM

pics?
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 08:28 PM

Garage
I used 1/2 inch thick foam, put it in there the day i bought the truck, has been holding up great so far(3 months)

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 08:24 AM

pictures please! I dont know where this "computer/pc box" is.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Passenger side firewall, engine compartment

Good Luck, there all missing bumper seals

GB
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:34 PM

I just zip tied it tighter to the bracket

2016 CCSB Duramax - 226hp/458tq

Lowering thread: http://coloradofans.com/forums/193-2...ltech-kit.html

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 09:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEE-BEE View Post
In gear low rpm firewall rattle.......

I placed some closed cell .250 silicone foam between on the back of the computer to isolate the vibration, I showed this to the dealer at service...

If you need some let me know and I will send you some squares to place on the corners of the mount .

You just unclip the compute and install the seals .

LET ME KNOW AND I WILL POST YOU SOME..

GB
Is this rattle that you are referring sound like a low frequency noise coming from the passenger side firewall ? I checked the ECM and it seems to be tight in the bracket. Was your ECM loose in the holding bracket?
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

There is a gap between computer and holder, nothing in between the two assys

Only rattled at low rpm/ in drive at idle

I made 4 each 3/4 silicone foam seals .250 thickness

This fills the gap between the two surfaces, vibration isolation is now in place

I die cut silicone seals for aircraft, valve covers, door seals , anti-chafe seals

I know the silicone seal and hose business....

GB
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 01:58 PM

Hmmm...this must be the rattle I get when the motor lugs when it doesn't shift down easily enough. Will check it out.

Chris Brown
2015 Colorado LT Ext-Cab 4X4 • I4 • Black/Black • Bose & Nav
Link for DIY: Cargo/Dog Platform Build For Ext-Cab
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 02:50 PM

Thanks GB!

I'm pretty sure that I have heard this exact issue. For me it is intermittent while idling at stop lights. The location of the ECM seems to be right where it sounds like it is coming from... time to check mine.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 09:42 PM

Garage
Mine is doing it at 1600-1700 rpm in 3rd gear. I checked under the hood and noticed that ecm wiring harness was touching the exhaust manifold heat shield. I repositioned it using some wire ties. Still have the noise.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 12:46 AM

@GEE-BEE - this is absolutely freakin' fantastic!

I've been getting this weird vibe sound on the passenger side since the truck was new. That's about 18 months now. And it's only sometimes, like when you go easy on it and it shifts up right away and lugs a little bit - the motor must vibe just right at that 1700-1900 rpm range and there would be a faint rattle or vibration like something on the motor. Definitely behind the passenger dash.

I really thought the muffler replacement recall they did would fix it. Nope.
Thought it was better after an oil change - motor was just enough smoother but it came back right away.

The ECU unit is like a 7x10 square of aluminum, like a big tablet, mounted in a plastic holder with two holding tabs on top and a slot at the bottom. There are pressure tabs in the back of the mount base but they are not strong enough or do not stick out enough to keep this unit from vibrating at certain rpms. And it's right on the firewall so you hear it in the cabin. Very annoying.

I took mine out, added pieces of rubber tire patch material to each corner, a soft foam strip top and bottom, and a inch and a half strip over each pressure tab in the mount. Re-set it. Test drive. Voila!! No more vibe.

You get the gold star for the day! I love my truck even more now! <clap>
k7tnt likes this.

Chris Brown

Last edited by Browneye; 07-29-2016 at 12:48 AM.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:08 AM

Is this in the engine bay? or in the inside of the truck itself? Wish someone would take 1 picture and upload the location.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:12 AM

If you open your hood and look you can't miss it. Sits right on the firewall under the coolant tank. And you don't have to disconnect the cables, just pop the top holder tabs and it lifts out. I needed a step stool to be able to get up in there.

So my ride into work today was completely silent - no vibe noise. Whoot!

k7tnt and lusid like this.

Chris Brown

Last edited by Browneye; 07-29-2016 at 10:25 AM.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:22 AM

Reminds me of the dash fix for Tahoe's, 'burbs, and D-maxes - the gauge needles would go all haywire, not swipe at all, or halfway, or stick. For those dashes with the 8 gauge needles, what a PITA.

Turns out for $30 or so you could order all 8 of the little stepper motors that drive the gauge needles and unsolder them out of the PC board inside the dash and replace them all. Full instructions on disassembling the dash, removing the PC board, soldering the motors and calibrating them. A job that a pro-shop would charge several hundred dollars for. I did mine on a '04 Duramax crew and it wasn't that hard. Nice time to replace any failed LED indicator lamps in the same board. I had just a couple.

Funniest part was that the motors were made by Swatch - you know, the watch people?!

Or the BMW 3-series temp control module - fan motor would go all over the place, up and down, shut off, or full speed, just out of control. A $800 fix at the dealer - it was a $100 part up under the dash that was hard to get to. With step by step it wasn't that tough to do, fixed it!

Love the owners forums!

Chris Brown
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:52 AM

For the record, I couldn't jiggle my computer and make it rattle AT ALL, but with it running and rattling on the interior I could grab it and it would stop the rattle. So, you might not be able to wiggle it and hear it yourself but it doesn't mean it isn't your rattle. Get it idling and rattling and have someone sit in the truck and tell you if it stops when you grab the ECU.

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 12:17 PM

Mine had very little play as well. I grabbed and tried to shake it and really felt nothing. But on closer examination I could see/feel there was just a slight amount of play between the unit and the mount.

Mine didn't rattle/vibe at any other time than driving down the road and pressing the accellerator slightly while it was at very low rpm - like in the 1500-2000rpm range. Then it would rattle, and would go away as soon as it either shifted down or the rpms rose from accellerating. So all of that coasting on surface streets, on and off the gas, I would get the vibe and then off, vibe then off, and ad infinitem.

All of that is gone now. They screwed the pooch on this one - it should have had a neoprene or silicone or rubber gasket of some sort. They just didn't think there was enough play there to allow it to rattle. There is some kind of clear plastic 'gasket' type ring around the edge of the ecu unit, but it's recessed and does not contact the mount. The four tabs in the base that stick out were likely what was designed to hold it, but they are either too weak or do not stick out enough to stop it.

It should likely be a recall but you can bet that's not going to happen. This is an almost free fix for probably the majority of these vehicles.

I'm also guessing the rattle at idle verses mine in motion is due to the different motors - mine has the I4 while most are V6's. The ECU and its mount are the same however.

Chris Brown
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebaddz View Post
For the record, I couldn't jiggle my computer and make it rattle AT ALL, but with it running and rattling on the interior I could grab it and it would stop the rattle. So, you might not be able to wiggle it and hear it yourself but it doesn't mean it isn't your rattle. Get it idling and rattling and have someone sit in the truck and tell you if it stops when you grab the ECU.
So I'm thinking this is the noise ive been hearing occasionally.

To clarify does it sound like it's coming from more center of the dash just slightly to the pass. side, rather than directly behind the glovebox where the ECU actually is? Almost as if, thinking from the engine side of the firewall, it should be about where the ECU wiring is?

Also when I poped the hood one day when it was rattling to see if it was the ECU and I couldn't hear, see or really feel the ECU really moving much and having no "helper" in the cabin I couldn't really determine if when I put my hand on the ECU if it even would have made any difference in the cabin.

Does all this sound about right for this ECU rattle fix to apply?
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 11:46 PM

Yes, it rattles.

Chris Brown
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
So I'm thinking this is the noise ive been hearing occasionally.

To clarify does it sound like it's coming from more center of the dash just slightly to the pass. side, rather than directly behind the glovebox where the ECU actually is? Almost as if, thinking from the engine side of the firewall, it should be about where the ECU wiring is?

Also when I poped the hood one day when it was rattling to see if it was the ECU and I couldn't hear, see or really feel the ECU really moving much and having no "helper" in the cabin I couldn't really determine if when I put my hand on the ECU if it even would have made any difference in the cabin.

Does all this sound about right for this ECU rattle fix to apply?
I would say so, yes. I didn't think it was way over on the passenger side either. I read about the ecu and tried several times to see if that's what it was and never though it moved. I even pulled it out and tried to tighten the bolts they were already tight.
lqdchkn likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode