And Now For Something Completely Different - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
yokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orange County, Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 1,038
Garage
And Now For Something Completely Different

So I rented this(Ram 1500, CC 4wd Hemi)...
[IMG][/IMG]
...yesterday after I brought my Colorado into the shop, and,
DAY-UM!!
Firstly, I have a habit of needing to see the mileage indicator at all times, so I pulled it up and reset it.
My whole trip home-on the freeway- the **** thing got 30MPG!!
Secondly, while I didn't get into it at all on the way home, I had to go to the store in the middle of the night to get my daughter some anti-nausea med, and of course the road is completely empty at that time of night..
..SOOOOOO I stomped on the thing and it responded with a speed that neither my '12 Ecoboost F150, nor ANY of my 2500/3500HDs(all with programmers, and 35" tires) ever did!
The two biggest differences were, right off idle the thing LAUNCHED, where the other vehicles I mentioned would have to clear their throats, and it literally DIDN'T stop GOING! The others would of course peter out on top,but this thing pulled like a freaking track car. I looked up it's 'rated' power, and Dodge claims like 390hp. It's quite obvious to me, like manufacturers did in the '60s Dodge under-rated the power this thing has, 'cuz my Ecoboost and all of the HDs had over 400hp, and while the HDs were obviously a lot heavier than this Dodge, the F150 sure as heck isn't. My point being, although my butt dyno isn't calibrated as sensitive as it used to be, this thing pulled so much harder than any other truck I've owned you could have a numb ass and still see this.
Fast-forward to this afternoon after I've been romping on the thing every chance I get, and the **** thing is still getting over 18mpg! And I might add that it's achieving this mileage with NO cylinder deactivation or stop-start technology.
Don't get me wrong, I had enough negative experiences with Dodge(Heep) service departments to basically turn me off from ever purchasing another Chrysler product again(but I may change my mind if the new Wrangler doesn't end up being neutered, AND has a dessel option), and one of, if not THE last vehicle on earth I'd ever think I'd be impressed by is a fricken Ram 1500, but I am, and thoroughly.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17

Last edited by yokev; 08-10-2016 at 05:06 PM.
yokev is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Member
 
Joe_Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 90
I had a 2013 Jeep Wrangler JKU and I loved it but the DIC was extremely "happy". Mine would show that I was getting 21-23 mpg and hand calculated over several thousand miles it was actually 14-15 mpg.

I came very close to buying a 1500 eco diesel when I bought my canyon duramax a few weeks ago. I really like the interior of the ram laramie but liked the canyon better after I drove it.
Joe_Lee is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
yokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orange County, Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 1,038
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Lee View Post
I had a 2013 Jeep Wrangler JKU and I loved it but the DIC was extremely "happy". Mine would show that I was getting 21-23 mpg and hand calculated over several thousand miles it was actually 14-15 mpg.

I came very close to buying a 1500 eco diesel when I bought my canyon duramax a few weeks ago. I really like the interior of the ram laramie but liked the canyon better after I drove it.
I traded a '15 JKU in on my Colorado..
I checked its DIC a few times and it was always on the mark.
Ironically, I ALSO checked into the Ram Eco-D before I bought the Colorado, but bad experiences with their service depts and a salesman straight outta 1976 turned me off

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
yokev is offline  
 
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:19 PM
Member
 
Joe_Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I traded a '15 JKU in on my Colorado..
I checked its DIC a few times and it was always on the mark.
Ironically, I ALSO checked into the Ram Eco-D before I bought the Colorado, but bad experiences with their service depts and a salesman straight outta 1976 turned me off
I really liked (really liked) my 13 JKU but my towing needs were just a little more than I was comfortable with the short wheel base even though it had the max tow of 5000lbs. But it will rank among one of my favorite vehicles that I've owned. I've actually had a few Jeeps.
Joe_Lee is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Member
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pa.
Posts: 35
I had a ram 1500 hemi a few years back, it was a very nice truck but it would eat brakes and rotors like crazy. I don't drive fast or stop hard, but that thing was hard on breaks. The mileage on the highway was very good, it just loafed along because of the gearing. But in the city the mileage totally sucked, maybe 10mpg at best. It had a beautiful ride and it was great in the snow and I never really had any problems with it except the breaks. Recently when I was looking for a diesel pickup I looked at the ecodiesel, I just don't need a truck that big. So the colorado fit the bill nicely.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed Black on Black.
Underdog is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
yokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orange County, Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 1,038
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Lee View Post
I really liked (really liked) my 13 JKU but my towing needs were just a little more than I was comfortable with the short wheel base even though it had the max tow of 5000lbs. But it will rank among one of my favorite vehicles that I've owned. I've actually had a few Jeeps.
Me too. My problem was it just didn't seem like it was 100% daily-driver able. I had a 3.5" lift and 35s on it, but it pulled plenty strong with the stock 3.73s and still got around 16mpg. I just had a bunch of nickel and dime **** go wrong with it, and TOTALLY idiotic service departments. I had to explain to one shop foreman what 'detonation' is, and those same MOrons used my Jeep as a 'rescue' vehicle for stranded motorists-they left their battery box in my back seat.
The last straw was the right front axle 'broke', and it did so out of nowhere. That wasn't the problem however. The problem was they wouldn't warranty it(22kmiles). They said because of the 'oversized offroad tires'.. When I pointed out the fact that they had easily 10 of their sale vehicles sitting on the front line with the same tire size, and two of 'em even with 37's(!)-and they didn't even bother to re-gear for those things either-, their response was simply that since they installed the lifts, wheels and tires, they were still covered under warranty.
Mind you, this was the dealer where I bought my jeep, and where I also took it for ALL of its service, so it's not like I was the 'guy' that only came in for warranty repairs.
I still will be looking at the '18 when it comes out, provided at least that they have a deeZeL option, and it's not neutered(which rumor control has it being to meet CAFE standards).
Absolutely THE best vehicle I've ever driven off road.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
yokev is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Senior Member
 
wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 332
Smile

My dad had several RAMs that he used for work... never had an issue with them and all three are still on the road (1988, 1995, 2004). When dad passed away my brothers kept them. Well... one had the dash disintegrate with time and my brother had to buy a replacement for it... but mechanically they were sound... and trust me, my dad beat the crap out of them overloading them... but those trucks are just too big for what I need...and I just do not like the looks of them...Rebel looks kind of cool, but not enough to pull me to even go to the dealer to take a closer look.

The Canyon is the perfect size. The only two trucks that tempt me, as I wait for the 2017 Canyon to come out, are:

2017 Ford Raptor - there is no logical need, no logical reason for needing one... it is just that it looks so frigging badassss... that alone keeps pulling me to it... size and fuel economy be damned ...
2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro - it makes me look... not enough to convince me to buy one... but it sure looks nice and I have always had a thing for a Tacoma... never actually owned one. My brother had one that I would borrow when I was visiting... he now drives a 5.7 Tundra with all bells and whistles...

Out of the two, the Raptor would push me to an impulse buy...

I will try to stay the course with the Canyon Duramax . It checks all the boxes... and having taken one for a test drive not too long ago... it really confirmed that I had made the right choice... I should be safe, with the Ford dealers marking up the Raptor, I will be less tempted to jump on one... hehehe...

Drive safe!
Wachuko

2012 BMW X5 Diesel
2015 FIAT Abarth
2015 FIAT 500c 1957 Edition
wachuko is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
yokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orange County, Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 1,038
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
My dad had several RAMs that he used for work... never had an issue with them and all three are still on the road (1988, 1995, 2004). When dad passed away my brothers kept them. Well... one had the dash disintegrate with time and my brother had to buy a replacement for it... but mechanically they were sound... and trust me, my dad beat the crap out of them overloading them... but those trucks are just too big for what I need...and I just do not like the looks of them...Rebel looks kind of cool, but not enough to pull me to even go to the dealer to take a closer look.

The Canyon is the perfect size. The only two trucks that tempt me, as I wait for the 2017 Canyon to come out, are:

2017 Ford Raptor - there is no logical need, no logical reason for needing one... it is just that it looks so frigging badassss... that alone keeps pulling me to it... size and fuel economy be damned ...
2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro - it makes me look... not enough to convince me to buy one... but it sure looks nice and I have always had a thing for a Tacoma... never actually owned one. My brother had one that I would borrow when I was visiting... he now drives a 5.7 Tundra with all bells and whistles...

Out of the two, the Raptor would push me to an impulse buy...

I will try to stay the course with the Canyon Duramax . It checks all the boxes... and having taken one for a test drive not too long ago... it really confirmed that I had made the right choice... I should be safe, with the Ford dealers marking up the Raptor, I will be less tempted to jump on one... hehehe...
Oh, I have several 'logical' reasons for wanting a Raptor! Problem is, at least here in BeaUtiful downtown Kalifornistan they've been marking them up $10k since day one.
I wouldn't be a BIT surprised if they send the new Raptor into SIX DIGITS. IIRC, a 'well equipped' Raptor should sticker just shy of $60k, which is why I haven't bought an HD since my '07 3500(my $42k 3500HD is now $70k).
wachuko likes this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
yokev is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 7,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I traded a '15 JKU in on my Colorado..
I checked its DIC a few times and it was always on the mark....
My daily Driver before my Canyon was a 2009 JK (2 door). DIC was always pretty close when I checked, I quit checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Lee View Post
I really liked (really liked) my 13 JKU but my towing needs were just a little more than I was comfortable with the short wheel base even though it had the max tow of 5000lbs. But it will rank among one of my favorite vehicles that I've owned. I've actually had a few Jeeps.
The 4 door version was rated at 5000 pound towing? I thought it was 3,500 max, my 2 door was 2,000 pounds.

There was also a limit for frontal surface area of trailer on my 2009 of 25 square feet.

Wrangler is fun, which is why my wife kept it for her daily driver.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
CaryBosse is online now  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Member
 
Joe_Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 90
The 4 door with the max tow package is 5000lbs. It has 3.73 gears & the 5000lb receiver.

I think the others have 3.21 except for the rubicon which I believe had 4.11???
Joe_Lee is offline  
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
dmaxjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: B.C
Posts: 639
Garage
The new Ram one of my customers has with the Hemi gets 12 mpg average, a fuel pig.
He is trading it in this fall for a 2017 Sierra with 5.3L. The Eco diesel my Uncle has gets 4 mpg less than my Dmax so it isn't bad on fuel, but he has had several issues with it and is waiting for a 2017 Canyon 2.8L Dmax to trade his Eco Diesel in for.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
dmaxjr is offline  
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
yokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orange County, Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 1,038
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Lee View Post
The 4 door with the max tow package is 5000lbs. It has 3.73 gears & the 5000lb receiver.

I think the others have 3.21 except for the rubicon which I believe had 4.11???
I think you're right.
I just thought of something.. Did you have bigger tires on yours? If so, did you recal the speedo?
I bought a speedo recal box from Superchips when I installed my 35s. Being what.(?) 10mpg off is a pretty big number, which is why I just thought of this

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
yokev is offline  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 11:20 PM
Member
 
Joe_Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I think you're right.
I just thought of something.. Did you have bigger tires on yours? If so, did you recal the speedo?
I bought a speedo recal box from Superchips when I installed my 35s. Being what.(?) 10mpg off is a pretty big number, which is why I just thought of this
I only had a leveling kit and 33s. I don't remember my speedo being off much but it's been a couple of years so it may have been.

Joe_Lee is offline  
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
drewabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Larkspur CO
Posts: 1,255
Garage
Wow, alot of commonalities....

Jeep Wrangler, ours is re-calibrated for the 37's and gears, still getting 17mpg.


As for the RAM, @yokev is right on the power. Two of our hunting buds have RAMs, man are they nice on the highway at 95mph. On average with stock tire size we get 16mpg in the Dodges when I am getting around 20mpg. Much longer vehicle but about the same width as our trucks. Pretty sure one paid about $17K more than I did for my truck.


Love my Canyon on tight trails, and driving in the city, Love the Jeep on the rocks, and the RAMs for long trips, Three completely different beasts.....

Last edited by drewabbs; 08-11-2016 at 08:59 AM.
drewabbs is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
yokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orange County, Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 1,038
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabbs View Post

the RAMs for long trips,
I came away from it thinking the same exact thing.
It actually rode very nice, which is contrary to how Dodges used to. They seem to have come a LONG way in build quality.
I would've NEVER thought a 'Hemi' Ram would get upwards of 30mpg on the freeway. If I read that in someone's post on an internet forum, I'd dismiss it as BuLL-Shizzle without giving it a second thought. And what's truly amazing, is Dodge doesn't even use the technology(cylinder deactivation/stop/start) that a lot of other vehicles use. Maybe it's direct-injected(and maybe it's not. I have no idea), but still, that's a high-displacement(it's like a 6.2 or 6.4, isn't it?), high-hp VEE-EIGHT. My dessel Colorado doesn't even get 30mpg on the freeway, and it's cruising under 2krpm too.
Maybe it will once it breaks in more(dessels do of course tend to take thousands of miles to fully break in), but that would be a 5mpg jump which I don't think is possible.
I'm guessing it's the 8-speed, and of course Ford's out to one-up Dodge with a 10-spd next year in the F150, then GM will prolly release an '18 Silverado with a 12-spd

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
yokev is offline  
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 05:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: ND
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I came away from it thinking the same exact thing.
It actually rode very nice, which is contrary to how Dodges used to. They seem to have come a LONG way in build quality.
I would've NEVER thought a 'Hemi' Ram would get upwards of 30mpg on the freeway. If I read that in someone's post on an internet forum, I'd dismiss it as BuLL-Shizzle without giving it a second thought. And what's truly amazing, is Dodge doesn't even use the technology(cylinder deactivation/stop/start) that a lot of other vehicles use. Maybe it's direct-injected(and maybe it's not. I have no idea), but still, that's a high-displacement(it's like a 6.2 or 6.4, isn't it?), high-hp VEE-EIGHT. My dessel Colorado doesn't even get 30mpg on the freeway, and it's cruising under 2krpm too.
Maybe it will once it breaks in more(dessels do of course tend to take thousands of miles to fully break in), but that would be a 5mpg jump which I don't think is possible.
I'm guessing it's the 8-speed, and of course Ford's out to one-up Dodge with a 10-spd next year in the F150, then GM will prolly release an '18 Silverado with a 12-spd

Curious if this stat was before our after you stuck like a 5 inch lift and took the splitter off.


Plenty of people on here have reported 30mpg when traveling in the 65-70mph range. 30+ when cruising 55-60.
Hckyplayer8 is offline  
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 06:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,866
I had a rental Ram 1500 Hemi 4x2 with the high 3.21 gears for 2 months while they were repairing my wife's Grand Cherokee Eco-D.

I averaged day to day 12-14 mpg. I took it on a 400 mile road trip and it did pretty well, like 23-24 mpg. But once again my real average day in day out was 12-13mpg.

The gear ratio the Dodge had was not pleasant to drive, it had to downshift like 3x to go anywhere. I disliked that a lot.

I have the Eco-D in a Grand Cherokee and it's a pleasure to drive and gets outstanding FE. It's chipped by GDE and that thing is not slow at all! I think it's a far superior drivetrain, performance wise, than the current 6 sp 2.8 I4 that GM has. But that Eco-D was very unreliable in the beginning but has been great for the last 15K miles. Hopefully it will continue to be great.

Current: 2009 Canyon CC I5. 170K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
Eagerly awaiting 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4 CCLB
Suns_PSD is online now  
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:27 AM
Member
 
Joe_Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 90
I'm getting low 30s mpg on the freeway & interstate consistently with my canyon.

I made a 75 mile drive early this morning with open highway (58-60 mph), very little traffic and a few small towns with start & stops along the way & I was showing 34.3 mpg as the "best" and 34 mpg as the average over the last 50 miles. On the ride home I go a different route & it's interstate at 70-73 mph I'm showing 31-33 mpg for the 75 mile drive. (I make this trip once each week.)

I've test drove 3 ram 1500 eco diesels - nice trucks but just a little leary of their early troubles.

I'll also say that coming from a long history of 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks I'm loving the ease of manuverabilty of my canyon.
Joe_Lee is offline  
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 7,383
I filled up my V6 Canyon the other morning and drove the 15 miles to work in rush hour traffic and parked it sitting at 29.7 MPG. Had a short trip to downtown with a parallel park then back to office. By time I got home in rush hour traffic I managed to get it back up to 20.9 MPG. My commute home is always much worse than to work.

If I could commute back and forth at 2 am I could easily get 30 MPG with my V6 as long as I drove sensibly.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
CaryBosse is online now  
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Senior Member
 
kaiser67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Masshole
Posts: 966
There's no way a hemi Ram was getting anywhere close to 30mpg. Even the ecoD is rated under 30 highway...
Suns statement on mileage seems pretty accurate.

DICs tend to be quite generous on mpg.

Likewise, there are plenty here with dmax twins getting over 30. Doesn't seem hard to reach those numbers.


Will be interesting to see how the 10spd works in the new Raptor, looks like a very fun truck. Just saw last night about the 2017 Tacoma TRD-Pro, looks like a pretty capable off roader, starts in the 40s for a manual though! Less than 10 grand under a low end Raptor...

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
kaiser67 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome