Locally 2.8L diesels sitting on lots not moving. - Page 4 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 06:44 PM

Depending on how much you drive, a couple of grand goes a long way toward paying for the extra gas of that guzzler for a couple of years.

I had no illusions about saving money on fuel when I bought my diesel. I paid the extra for the towing capabilities, and it has outdone my expectations. If I get 10 years out of it, the price was well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexaddict6 View Post
went for a test drive in socal on Saturday as well - the only thing they talked about was MAYBE it being tagged and getting 5% off. I'm looking for that 10% range that Schwartz is looking for too...
Well

Vinolush and schwartz like this.
post #63 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:57 AM

I don't feel I paid ridiculous money for my truck. I ordered it the way I wanted without extra cost add-ons. $38,042 before TTL.
CaryBosse likes this.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."

post #64 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
I don't feel I paid ridiculous money for my truck. I ordered it the way I wanted without extra cost add-ons. $38,042 before TTL.

This. $3500 more for a more fuel friendly and towing ability truck? Oh no.
post #65 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 PM

My dad had a good saying " if you think you are getting a good deal...you are getting a good deal"!

Living The Dream!
post #66 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 12:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
This has been my argument about diesels for a little while now but inevitably everyone on these diesel forums gets butthurt when I bring it up. You cannot economically justify buying a diesel for MPG's and buy a high trim level. The guys on the EcoDiesel ram forums get particularly butthurt over this. They complain about how "bad" the gas mileage is for the V8 1/2 ton trucks but then go out and pay $45-50K for an EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn and brag about their gas mileage while paying $800 a month on the loan. In my eyes, the GM twins are even worse. You can at least get money off of the ED Rams, but getting no money off of the Colorado is silly. No one should be paying more than 40k for any of these trucks regardless of trim.

Until the people who are willing to throw ridiculous money at the initial production of these trucks get taken out of the equation, we wont see prices drop. It looks like maybe that is happening in some places, but certainly not here. I see a dmax colorado or canyon almost daily here in Park City Utah and the dealers arnt moving on price. The local dealer told me $500 off MSRP on a $41,000 LT diesel. Sorry, but I'd rather drive my gas guzzling half ton for that price.
Jeez dude...Just a LITTLE jealous are we?
wonkman and aaronx2320 like this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #67 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
Jeez dude...Just a LITTLE jealous are we?
Nope, just annoyed people are willing to pay so much for these things when someone like me with an excel spreadsheet and some common sense cant(won't) buy one for the prices dealers are able to charge. If I had to have one, I would own one by now.

I'd rather wait till the 8 speed comes out anyways.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD - GDE Hot Tune, GDE Trans Tune, 3" Lift, ARB Bull Bar, 31" Wrangler Duratracs

2014 F150 Lariat EcoBoost Screw - Unleashed Tune, Catch Can, 33" Duratracs

Last edited by mass-hole; 08-24-2016 at 01:53 AM.
post #68 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Nope, just annoyed people are willing to pay so much for these things when someone like me with an excel spreadsheet and some common sense cant(won't) buy one for the prices dealers are able to charge. If I had to have one, I would own one by now.

I assume you showed the dealer(s) your excel spreadsheet? And they STILL wouldn't give it to for f̶r̶e̶e̶ the kind of deal you wanted?
I hate it when people pay more for things than I want them to as well. If we can't control what other people do, what the heck is this world coming to?
Might I suggest visiting this website?:
https://www.hillaryclinton.com
This woman(and her husband) has made a career of forcing other people to do what SHE wants, and severely punishing those who don't(she has 'em whacked)
I think you'll find she thinks a lot like yourself. Heck, you may even think it kismet that I gave you this link

Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"

Last edited by yokev; 08-24-2016 at 02:43 AM.
post #69 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buton View Post
they are not moving that fast... i would think mainly because they are putting a diesel on high end trim..

i would see more value on diesel on a work truck type, not on an expensive z71 or trail boss

i would get a diesel but my wife is refusing to pay the extra $$$$ without justification.
I wish they made you a WT diesel.
And I want a Z71 LTZ diesel with all the options, sunroof down. I drive 20,000+ miles a year, I don't want to do it in a bare bones vehicle.
And I want leather so I can wash my dogs muddy footprints off the seat with just a damp cloth. Tired of these Z71 seats already and its not even hunting season.
When they come out with a properly equipped Z71 diesel with heated outside mirrors, sunroof and 8 way leather seats to go with Bose and Navigation, my son is going to find a used Z71 minimax in his parking spot.

Last edited by Esoxchaser; 08-24-2016 at 06:36 AM.
post #70 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:

You are definitely bitter. You keep throwing in jabs like "people like you with some common sense". It is clear you are bitter or jealous. Here's some common sense: upgrades cost money.

I can build you a spreadsheet that says you'll never get the cost of a new vehicle back over buying an econobox that's 10 years old for $25k less. Why are you shopping for a brand new truck when common sense dictates you'll never see that money back? Your upgrade decision costs $30k. Where's your common sense?

If you can't justify one, do it with your own reasons and without tearing down the diesel version's current owners. It's not our fault that we see the value in a version of the truck with virtually (literally IMO) EVERY advantage over a gasser for just a little more money.

Quote:
I assume you showed the dealer(s) your excel spreadsheet? And they STILL wouldn't give it to for f̶r̶e̶e̶ the kind of deal you wanted?
I hate it when people pay more for things than I want them to as well. If we can't control what other people do, what the heck is this world coming to?
This woman(and her husband) has made a career of forcing other people to do what SHE wants, and severely punishing those who don't(she has 'em whacked)
I think you'll find she thinks a lot like yourself. Heck, you may even think it kismet that I gave you this link
Preach on.
wonkman likes this.

2016 CCSB Duramax - 226hp/458tq
Tuned by Innovative Diesel

post #71 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
@yokev - You have some interesting and insightful posts, but your obsessive hate towards Mrs. Clinton and her family severely detract from anything intelligent you may wish to say. There are plenty of political online forums, radio shows, and TV channels where you can go and stoke your loathing alongside like minded individuals. You should probably stick to comments about Colorados and Canyons here.

Last edited by RandyNC; 08-24-2016 at 09:09 AM.
post #72 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:

I can't speak for everyone else, but the issue I have with your "argument" is that you are tossing trim level into the argument. If we are talking about the Duramax's value vs MPG savings then we really should only be talking about the price of the Duramax as an option (i.e. ~ $4k). Granted, even then the initial "cost to own" is still higher on the Diesel, but you also have to factor in how much someone drives (i.e. I drive 30k miles/year) and how long someone intends to keep it. When you take that information into consideration, the difference is negligible at first and become savings later.

The reason I don't think Trim should be considered is because most people buy the Trim level based on the features, options, and look and these things have their own value to consider.
pennhunter likes this.

Last edited by jd78; 08-24-2016 at 09:41 AM.
post #73 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

@yokev

Let's keep the Clintons and any other political figures and topics out of the conversation please.

Stick to the thread topic.

Also avoid using all caps text in your posts. It is interpreted as shouting by many.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods

Last edited by GregDAP; 08-24-2016 at 02:05 PM.
post #74 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:33 PM

post #75 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDAP View Post
@yokev

Let's keep the Clintons and any other political figures and topics out of the conversation please.

Stick to the thread topic.

Also avoid using all caps text in your posts. It is interpreted as shouting by many.
As far as Ms CLinton is concerned, believe me, I'm now paying the price for grabbing the link to her page. I'm now inundated with her banner ads when I come on here.
To using 'all caps', you'll have to forgive me, but if any of my posts are coming through all in caps, then there's a problem. I'll occasionally type a word(or two or three) in all caps for emphasis, but never type a full post that way.
GregDAP likes this.

Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
post #76 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 06:11 PM

Garage
Not sure if @mass-hole is making an apples-to-apples comparison. Are you looking at a gas Z71 with options vs diesel? My understanding is that they're putting the diesels into the higher trim packages more than lower because of the demographic: folks willing to spend more initially on a diesel are often (though not always) likely to spend more on trim. It's economics on Chevy's part, plain and simple.

When buying diesel vs gas, you've gotta factor more than just the cost of fuel in:
- While the market for diesels is smaller, they typically hold value better than their sparky little brothers.
- Speaking of holding value: they do that because the engines are more robust and tend to last MUCH longer (we'll see if the same can be said for the exhaust management system, but I digress).
- Speaking of robust engines and sparky little brothers: no spark plugs to replace, as well as a much longer maintenance cycle means fewer trips to the mechanic for "routine" maintenance.
- Two words: Diesel. Torque.
- Though there is give-and-take on the environmental impacts of diesel vs gas, the "clean diesel" vehicles today pollute less per mile. Further, diesel contains more BTU per unit AND take less refining to produce. So long as you're not a "rolling thunder" guy/gal, buying a diesel vehicle is actually more environmentally friendly.

All this said, is it worth the thousands extra? Perhaps not. I'm not going to argue to-the-penny economics here. I'd say it is, at worst, a wash as far as economics but when you factor in the torque and environmental benefits, I'll buy diesel every time. It's why I'm driving a Colorado today.
Tjdeerslayer37 likes this.

'16 Colorado Z71 Duramax, White
Build-out post
Westin Sportsman grille guard w/ winch tray · Century CC 180 topper · Smittybilt 9500lb winch · Mictuning 36" LED bar · King remote reservoir coil-over front, piggy-back rear suspension.
post #77 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
As far as Ms CLinton is concerned, believe me, I'm now paying the price for grabbing the link to her page. I'm now inundated with her banner ads when I come on here.
To using 'all caps', you'll have to forgive me, but if any of my posts are coming through all in caps, then there's a problem. I'll occasionally type a word(or two or three) in all caps for emphasis, but never type a full post that way.
Thanks for understanding. I'm no clinton fan myself but subjects like politics and religion are sensitive and get heated quickly so we mods and admins do our best to keep members away from those subjects.

As for the all caps, whether it is just a word or a complete sentence it is technically against the rules (I know it is a silly rule... but it is what it is). If you feel the need to emphasize a word or phrase maybe use a different color text or underline the word/sentence.

No harm done... thanks for the cooperation

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #78 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDAP View Post
Thanks for understanding. I'm no clinton fan myself but subjects like politics and religion are sensitive and get heated quickly so we mods and admins do our best to keep members away from those subjects.

As for the all caps, whether it is just a word or a complete sentence it is technically against the rules (I know it is a silly rule... but it is what it is). If you feel the need to emphasize a word or phrase maybe use a different color text or underline the word/sentence.

No harm done... thanks for the cooperation
No worries man. I'll prolly just bold the words from now on

Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
post #79 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:01 AM

Well I might need to change my name now. Traded in the 2015 Canyon AT SB in for a 2016 Canyon SLT Diesel..... Love it! Pick her up at 3pm today. Deal I could not pass up thats for sure.
404 Not Found likes this.
post #80 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Terrain View Post
Well I might need to change my name now. Traded in the 2015 Canyon AT SB in for a 2016 Canyon SLT Diesel..... Love it! Pick her up at 3pm today. Deal I could not pass up thats for sure.
OK, you can't get away w/ that minimal info! Tell us more about pricing, etc? Maybe should go in this thread, but would love to know the details!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode