Fuel Filter Life Severe Drop - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:46 AM

I was just over 26k miles when I changed my filters "same as the ones you ordered" and it showed 16% at the time. It takes longer to drain the diesel then it does to actually make the swap, LOL. Not sure how much diesel was in there but there was more than the size of container I used, so I just cut the top off a plastic milk jug for the next replacement.

2016 Duramax SLE - May 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:25 PM

Garage
So, not exactly the same issue, but I've noticed that my DIC has always reported a 50% reading on my fuel filter, ever since my first oil change. I've got 14k miles on it now and it's still reading 50%. It was 100% when I initially bought the truck so between initial purchase and my first oil change, it dropped to 50% and it's just stayed there. So, I brought it up to the dealer today when getting my second oil change and they said they needed time to contact GM because they "haven't heard of this." I'm really wondering what they're going to say.
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 01:25 AM

Mine has been at 20% for roughly 8 thousand miles or so and it dropped to 20% from 100%
I'm going to bring it into the dealer for the last free service next week and ask them about it.

-mac

post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr88 View Post
Mine has been at 20% for roughly 8 thousand miles or so and it dropped to 20% from 100%
I'm going to bring it into the dealer for the last free service next week and ask them about it.

-mac
Let me know if they give you an answer. I didn't hear anything from the dealer for 3 days so I called yesterday and they said that they still haven't heard from GM. They didn't even know what the interval was for changing the fuel filter. The guy told me that the normal diesels should be changed every 10k miles and he was thinking mine should be changed every 15k miles but he's not sure. I'm completely shocked that a Chevy dealer doesn't know simple things like this.
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 01:54 PM

Fuel Filter Life Severe Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamNofR1 View Post
Let me know if they give you an answer. I didn't hear anything from the dealer for 3 days so I called yesterday and they said that they still haven't heard from GM. They didn't even know what the interval was for changing the fuel filter. The guy told me that the normal diesels should be changed every 10k miles and he was thinking mine should be changed every 15k miles but he's not sure. I'm completely shocked that a Chevy dealer doesn't know simple things like this.

Will do

It seems like they don't get the training they need or don't attend training offered. My guess is training is offered but nobody attends?

-mac
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
There is no set fuel filter change interval because some will be using cleaner fuel than others.
GM wants you to follow the fuel filter monitor to indicate when fuel filter change is required. Seems there are a few moniters that are not reading as linear as mine does, and doing a big drop in % over a short time. I have not heard of any bulletin on fuel filter moniter incorrect readings as of yet, time will tell.
I replace mine right after winter fuel is discontinued at the pump and then in the late fall before temps drop below freezing. This is not a recommendation but a comment, just something i do on all my diesel trucks. It is your truck so do as you wish, i would not go longer than 10k miles between changes though. I tend to over maintain a little, so others may disagree.
yokev and Duken4evr like this.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 AM

After my quick drop from 30% to 8% I drove another 3k miles over the last week and saw no additional drop as my filter change kit didn't make it in time for my trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 03:57 AM

Garage
I'm at 13K miles now and 50% fuel filter life. However, in early Jan I added a diesel fuel conditioner that my local dealer recommended (if you need the name of it lemme know), and when I did, the fuel filter life actually increased. The dealer said that was normal as the conditioner removes water.
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:48 PM

I haven't gone to the dealer yet but this morning and afternoon I noticed the fuel pump would never pressurize and turn off.
I decided to change my fuel filters and I'm glad I did. There was quite a bit of metal like substance that came out of the supply to the filters. That same stuff also came out when I flipped the filter upside down.

Here's a picture of it split open. It seems like a well made filter and it did what it was supposed to do. To me it just looks far dirtier than it should look but it's the first diesel fuel filter I've ever changed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:50 PM

Oh! I reset my filter minder and it went to a hundred percent the first try. Guess I should go buy a lottery ticket lol

post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:10 PM

Garage
My filter percentage went to 6% at about 20 K miles. Never did see a big change and I make a weekly drive up the mountain on a winding road. Just did the 3rd oil change and a turbo replacement because of a failed sensor in the turbo. Worst part was waiting 2 weeks for the new turbo.
post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postvr8 View Post
I'm at 13K miles now and 50% fuel filter life. However, in early Jan I added a diesel fuel conditioner that my local dealer recommended (if you need the name of it lemme know), and when I did, the fuel filter life actually increased. The dealer said that was normal as the conditioner removes water.
I just noticed mine went from 30-to-35% yesterday. Although I coulda swore it was down to 20% a couple weeks ago, I suffer from CRS(can't remember shit) so it's possible I just dreamed that one.
I've known the guys at a Shell station at the bottom of my hill for over 20 years, so I asked them to order me a new one last week.
Dude called and said that none of his parts houses carry an aftermarket variant, and the local Chevy dealer told him he has to buy 2, and only one of 'em contains a water separator~$90-which seems kinda bizzare to me- so I'm just gonna roll into another Chevy dealer one day soon and see what the dealio is

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I just noticed mine went from 30-to-35% yesterday. Although I coulda swore it was down to 20% a couple weeks ago, I suffer from CRS(can't remember shit) so it's possible I just dreamed that one.
I've known the guys at a Shell station at the bottom of my hill for over 20 years, so I asked them to order me a new one last week.
Dude called and said that none of his parts houses carry an aftermarket variant, and the local Chevy dealer told him he has to buy 2, and only one of 'em contains a water separator~$90-which seems kinda bizzare to me- so I'm just gonna roll into another Chevy dealer one day soon and see what the dealio is
Wix have them in sets as well

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr88 View Post
I haven't gone to the dealer yet but this morning and afternoon I noticed the fuel pump would never pressurize and turn off.
I decided to change my fuel filters and I'm glad I did. There was quite a bit of metal like substance that came out of the supply to the filters. That same stuff also came out when I flipped the filter upside down.

Here's a picture of it split open. It seems like a well made filter and it did what it was supposed to do. To me it just looks far dirtier than it should look but it's the first diesel fuel filter I've ever changed.

This is what is making me nervous. I've never owned a diesel before so this is all new to me and I've seen anything from changing the fuel filters from 10,000 miles to 25,000 miles. I'm a little over 14k so I don't think I'm in bad shape but my DIC has read 50% for several months, so obviously there's an issue and the dealer still hasn't gotten an answer from GM. I'm usually impatient and just do things myself to get them over with, but at the same time, it's an issue that I brought up to the dealer and I feel like GM should be responsible to cover this under warranty.
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:14 PM

The guy I asked said that the filter minder is based off of something like the oil change minder. Basically how you drive, no so sure I believe that since it went from 80 to 20 and never went back up from there

-mac
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:13 PM

My fuel filter life just went back up to 50% from 8%. Whaaaat? And no, I didn't reset anything. Just over 18k miles now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:03 PM

Garage
Several months later and I'm still at 50%. I've called the dealer 3 times since I brought up the issue a month ago and they still won't call me back. I'm taking it to another dealer on Monday.
post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Several months later and I'm still at 50%. I've called the dealer 3 times since I brought up the issue a month ago and they still won't call me back. I'm taking it to another dealer on Monday.
Why are you so worried? The book shows filters aren't due for 37500 miles under standard service, as well as severe... If the DIC says is ain't due yet, it ain't due yet. A dealer won't change it unless it's either paid for or required while you still have free services left. I doubt anybody is gonna put 37500 in the two year free service range. But you guys are in the mainland and it's very possible. Here in Hawaii, I've owned my truck just shy of a year and have a hair over 7k on the ticker

post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 PM

Garage
I'm not really "worried" per se. If I truly was, I'd be calling the dealership everyday. I let them have their time to figure it out with GM and they can't come up with an answer. So, I am taking it to another place rather than complain to the current dealership, which will probably get me nowhere since the current shop manager won't call me back.

I don't care what the book says - the DIC went from 100% to 50% real quick and has read 50% for 6+ months. Something is wrong, plain and simple. I'd like to get it done now rather than worry about it at 37500 and GM says, "Oops, too bad, your warranty is up." Yes, I realize the filter change is extremely easy but if there's something wrong with the electronics....that could be pricey.
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not really "worried" per se. If I truly was, I'd be calling the dealership everyday. I let them have their time to figure it out with GM and they can't come up with an answer. So, I am taking it to another place rather than complain to the current dealership, which will probably get me nowhere since the current shop manager won't call me back.

I don't care what the book says - the DIC went from 100% to 50% real quick and has read 50% for 6+ months. Something is wrong, plain and simple. I'd like to get it done now rather than worry about it at 37500 and GM says, "Oops, too bad, your warranty is up." Yes, I realize the filter change is extremely easy but if there's something wrong with the electronics....that could be pricey.
So what if the DIC and mileage per the book are not lined up. Nothing is gonna happen, move on... Quite frankly, I'm very impressed that this even has a diesel available and is so easy to get into the ECM. You may have just bought the wrong truck. You're gonna stress yourself to death chasing around one dealer after another burning all your bridges. Then when you have a real problem in the future they are going to remember you and give you the, I'm sorry your warranty is all done. You shouldn't be sweating the small shit... In fact, try this mod and see how it goes... Go into your DIC, push left, down to options, then information items, then right, then edit.... Uncheck fuel filter... BOOM it's fixed!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode