Fuel Filter Life Severe Drop - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacklerjason View Post
So what if the DIC and mileage per the book are not lined up. Nothing is gonna happen, move on... Quite frankly, I'm very impressed that this even has a diesel available and is so easy to get into the ECM. You may have just bought the wrong truck. You're gonna stress yourself to death chasing around one dealer after another burning all your bridges. Then when you have a real problem in the future they are going to remember you and give you the, I'm sorry your warranty is all done. You shouldn't be sweating the small shit... In fact, try this mod and see how it goes... Go into your DIC, push left, down to options, then information items, then right, then edit.... Uncheck fuel filter... BOOM it's fixed!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Look, it's not worth getting into an argument about. If I buy something brand new, I expect it to have quirks, but I expect the company to make it right if something is wrong. When fuel and the engine is involved, it's not small stuff to me. You might have all the money in the world but I don't. I'd like to see an answer, that's all. If they tell me to handle everything myself (change the filter, reset the DIC), then so be it. I just want guidance on what to do, not just some dealer saying, "Yeah yeah, we'll call you back."

And again, I'm the last person to complain to a dealer. All I've done over the past month is check in with them, that's it. If they can't give me an answer, there's no harm in trying to get a second opinion. I'm not burning any bridges by screaming at them to get me an answer. That gets you nowhere in life. You're entitled to your opinion on this, and so am I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hacklerjason likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamNofR1 View Post
Look, it's not worth getting into an argument about. If I buy something brand new, I expect it to have quirks, but I expect the company to make it right if something is wrong. When fuel and the engine is involved, it's not small stuff to me. You might have all the money in the world but I don't. I'd like to see an answer, that's all. If they tell me to handle everything myself (change the filter, reset the DIC), then so be it. I just want guidance on what to do, not just some dealer saying, "Yeah yeah, we'll call you back."

And again, I'm the last person to complain to a dealer. All I've done over the past month is check in with them, that's it. If they can't give me an answer, there's no harm in trying to get a second opinion. I'm not burning any bridges by screaming at them to get me an answer. That gets you nowhere in life. You're entitled to your opinion on this, and so am I.

I'm not arguing, I'm making a point... If its not due yet, it's not due yet... Period.. regardless of what the DIC is calculating... I'm not even mad... Also, on a side note... Your filter won't even make it 37500... As a professional diesel technician, if I ever have performance problems, the first thing I'm doing is the fuel filter regardless of what that thing says...

post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Garage
Fuel Filter Life Severe Drop

Quote:
I'm not arguing, I'm making a point... If its not due yet, it's not due yet... Period.. regardless of what the DIC is calculating... I'm not even mad... Also, on a side note... Your filter won't even make it 37500... As a professional diesel technician, if I ever have performance problems, the first thing I'm doing is the fuel filter regardless of what that thing says...

I'll be honest in saying that this is my first diesel. I've been trying to read as much as possible on these things and I've been reading through all the posts about tuning, deleting, etc. Granted, I personally would love to do that at some point but I'd rather wait for now. But I remember seeing a picture somewhere of a guy taking a picture of the throttle body, I think it was, with all the carbon or soot that developed on his around 15k miles. So, it makes me nervous to know that diesel is an extremely dirty fuel that needs more maintenance than I am aware of.

So to ask you a question, you said the book says to change them at 37500 but then above, you say the filter won't make it that long. In your professional opinion of this truck, what do you think should be the interval for these?

Chris Drennan likes this.

post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I'll be honest in saying that this is my first diesel. I've been trying to read as much as possible on these things and I've been reading through all the posts about tuning, deleting, etc. Granted, I personally would love to do that at some point but I'd rather wait for now. But I remember seeing a picture somewhere of a guy taking a picture of the throttle body, I think it was, with all the carbon or soot that developed on his around 15k miles. So, it makes me nervous to know that diesel is an extremely dirty fuel that needs more maintenance than I am aware of.

So to ask you a question, you said the book says to change them at 37500 but then above, you say the filter won't make it that long. In your professional opinion of this truck, what do you think should be the interval for these?

The intake tract does not get dirty from diesel, it's from PCV being routed into the intake. That's on all vehicles gas or diesel... I rec changing them proactively.. On construction machines we use 500 hour service intervals on most, some are 250... But if you ever have low power complaints, the fuel filter would be the first thing I would change. Reason being, of all the issues that would cause low power, fuel filter clogging would be the cheapest to fix. I start there without hesitation. Then it goes deeper into rail pressure, injector, compression, etc... Not necessarily in that order

post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
The intake tract does not get dirty from diesel, it's from PCV being routed into the intake. That's on all vehicles gas or diesel... I rec changing them proactively.. On construction machines we use 500 hour service intervals on most, some are 250... But if you ever have low power complaints, the fuel filter would be the first thing I would change. Reason being, of all the issues that would cause low power, fuel filter clogging would be the cheapest to fix. I start there without hesitation. Then it goes deeper into rail pressure, injector, compression, etc... Not necessarily in that order

Gotcha. So it's not like something within the engine could be damaged if the filters aren't changed out. It's just a performance thing and if I notice the truck lacking power, I'd need to change them.

hacklerjason likes this.
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Gotcha. So it's not like something within the engine could be damaged if the filters aren't changed out. It's just a performance thing and if I notice the truck lacking power, I'd need to change them.

Correct... If a filter plugs, nothing will happen except low power... The fuel lift pump in the tank does not have enough power to blow through a filter, and the fuel filters aren't like engine oil filters. They do not have a bypass. Worst worst case scenario, the filter plugs and the engine starves for fuel and dies out

post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Correct... If a filter plugs, nothing will happen except low power... The fuel lift pump in the tank does not have enough power to blow through a filter, and the fuel filters aren't like engine oil filters. They do not have a bypass. Worst worst case scenario, the filter plugs and the engine starves for fuel and dies out

Interesting, thank you! When you're not a mechanic and have no idea how this shit works, it gets you nervous. I've seen plenty of your posts and you helping others, so I appreciate the info. First brand new truck, first diesel...just going to be a learning process for me.

post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Interesting, thank you! When you're not a mechanic and have no idea how this shit works, it gets you nervous. I've seen plenty of your posts and you helping others, so I appreciate the info. First brand new truck, first diesel...just going to be a learning process for me.

No worries... Like I said, try not to sweat the small stuff... That filter life is a calculated value and will change with driving habits. The owner manual indicates a filter life of 37500, that's what I would use or whichever comes first. If the DIC tells you to change the filter, just change the filter... It's easy and only takes about 10 min

post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:10 PM

Garage
FYI, I just left dealer #2 on this issue. While they didn't change the filters, they said there were "a bunch of updates to the computer" that they had to do. They reset my fuel filter monitor to 100% as well but wanted about $170 to change the filters. I'm just over 15k miles so going off of the maintenance schedule, I guess I'll just have to wait until 35700 and remind myself to do it since they reset it. But, I feel better knowing that the ECU needed updated and I saw that they did it since things needed to be reset when I started driving. Kinda funny how one dealer can't tell me for a month that there were updates but yet, another dealer got it done within an hour. Just an FYI for anyone else having issues with their DIC - you may need to get the latest software.
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
FYI, I just left dealer #2 on this issue. While they didn't change the filters, they said there were "a bunch of updates to the computer" that they had to do. They reset my fuel filter monitor to 100% as well but wanted about $170 to change the filters. I'm just over 15k miles so going off of the maintenance schedule, I guess I'll just have to wait until 35700 and remind myself to do it since they reset it. But, I feel better knowing that the ECU needed updated and I saw that they did it since things needed to be reset when I started driving. Kinda funny how one dealer can't tell me for a month that there were updates but yet, another dealer got it done within an hour. Just an FYI for anyone else having issues with their DIC - you may need to get the latest software.
Is there positive confirmation the update fixed the problem? The maintenance reminder is not part of ECM software. Another controller is responsible for that... I doubt you'll see any changes... In any case we're right back to where we were before, change at 37500 hahaha.... Best mod ever for this problem, shut off filter minder for fuel

post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Is there positive confirmation the update fixed the problem? The maintenance reminder is not part of ECM software. Another controller is responsible for that... I doubt you'll see any changes... In any case we're right back to where we were before, change at 37500 hahaha.... Best mod ever for this problem, shut off filter minder for fuel

Nope, but then again, I'm only a few miles from the dealership. I'm going to watch the DIC to see if there's any major changes that come. And if all else fails, I'll just take your advice and turn it off, lol

hacklerjason likes this.
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Yeah so my fuel filter life was steady at around 30% for a 6 months but just randomly dropped to 3% yesterday. At 13,000 miles now and was debating on waiting till closer to 30,000 but decided I'm just going to replace it justtt in case. $35 on Amazon so no big deal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:46 PM

Garage
Mine is at 84% with just under 7000 miles. 90% of my fuel comes from Costco and I rarely let the tank get below 1/4 if that makes a difference and/or helps you figure out what's going on with yours dropping so fast.

2016 Colorado CCSB, Duramax Z71 4x4, bose, nav, leveling kit, retrax bed cover, linex, Westin Sportsman Grill Guard Winch, Westin T-Max 9500lb winch with Synthetic line, Mictuning curved light bar, Undercover swing case's.
Duramax Turner DSP 4

post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Hi, My truck had 8700 miles on it. My filter life dropped from 72% to 38% over 550 miles of highway driving towing a 3300 LB boat / motor/ trailer. Used 30 gallons of fuel and lost 34% of my filter life. Did anyone ever figure out how this truck determines filter life. Is this normal ? At this rate, Ill need a filter at ~10K All my fuel comes from Irving stations in NH and Maine. Run the same fuel in my VW TDI with no filter issues. Thanks.....
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLE FESTER View Post
Hi, My truck had 8700 miles on it. My filter life dropped from 72% to 38% over 550 miles of highway driving towing a 3300 LB boat / motor/ trailer. Used 30 gallons of fuel and lost 34% of my filter life. Did anyone ever figure out how this truck determines filter life. Is this normal ? At this rate, Ill need a filter at ~10K All my fuel comes from Irving stations in NH and Maine. Run the same fuel in my VW TDI with no filter issues. Thanks.....
Everyone seems to be getting different information and unfortunately most dealers are still completely useless for information regarding the diesel engines we have. It seems that severe drops seem to be common for a lot of people so I believe it most likely detects when a filter is becoming "full". Chances are we are getting bad batches of diesel (pretty common) and that's why we get the drop. However that's just my guess. Could be something completely different like a software glitch.

post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregguz View Post
Everyone seems to be getting different information and unfortunately most dealers are still completely useless for information regarding the diesel engines we have. It seems that severe drops seem to be common for a lot of people so I believe it most likely detects when a filter is becoming "full". Chances are we are getting bad batches of diesel (pretty common) and that's why we get the drop. However that's just my guess. Could be something completely different like a software glitch.

Nothing in the factory service manual i have directly from GM, in the electrical or theory of operation sections, indicates that the ECM even has the capability of monitoring such a thing. There aren't any low pressure fuel system sensors in place to monitor this. I would imagine that is purely a calculated value, based upon driving conditions vs mileage...

post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nothing in the factory service manual i have directly from GM, in the electrical or theory of operation sections, indicates that the ECM even has the capability of monitoring such a thing. There aren't any low pressure fuel system sensors in place to monitor this. I would imagine that is purely a calculated value, based upon driving conditions vs mileage...

Wouldn't disagree with your assessment considering everytime I have gotten a severe drop it was during "heavy" operation. The first time I got a drop was when climbing a tight windy mountain road for a couple hours. Second was doing a windy off road trail. However a direct answer from a manual or engineer would be nice.

post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregguz View Post
Wouldn't disagree with your assessment considering everytime I have gotten a severe drop it was during "heavy" operation. The first time I got a drop was when climbing a tight windy mountain road for a couple hours. Second was doing a windy off road trail. However a direct answer from a manual or engineer would be nice.

If it helps, the owners manual indicated exactly what i just stayed, engine run time vs driving conditions

post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 PM

Garage
Fuel Filter Life Severe Drop

Here's an update from when I went to the dealer at the end of April from my post above. A few days after I was at the dealer, it stayed at 100%. About 2 weeks after, it went to 43%. I now just passed 18k miles and guess what....it's still at 43%. So, almost 2 months and 3k miles later and it's still reading the same percentage.

The guy I talked to said he got word from GM that they claim these should be changed at 22,500 miles and not the 37,500 that the book says. I don't know why GM would contradict themselves like that but I do know one thing: I'm not counting on the DIC anymore.

hacklerjason likes this.
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Here's an update from when I went to the dealer at the end of April from my post above. A few days after I was at the dealer, it stayed at 100%. About 2 weeks after, it went to 43%. I now just passed 18k miles and guess what....it's still at 43%. So, almost 2 months and 3k miles later and it's still reading the same percentage.

The guy I talked to said he got word from GM that they claim these should be changed at 22,500 miles and not the 37,500 that the book says. I don't know why GM would contradict themselves like that but I do know one thing: I'm not counting on the DIC anymore.

Exactly the mod i said to do way earlier... Go to the DIC settings, and disable that info page... Do regular scheduled maintenance, on the schedule... And i don't care what no gm rep said... I go by the book... Earlier won't hurt, but they get to sell you a filter set 15k earlier... Fuck all that noise lol

"Nobody listens to Turtle"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode