Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor Fail

92K views 182 replies 70 participants last post by  SKWRLE 
#1 ·
26,500 Miles now, CEL comes on so I swing by my dealer. Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor is "bad". New sensor is supposed to arrive Tuesday, appointment on Wednesday. It is noisier than normal, so I have it parked and am driving the Passat. Will post results.
I am not afraid of the engine or transmission, but my ECM, BCM, and now this sensor failure is why I wish GM kept the 100,000 mile warranty on the Duramax line.

#59 ·
I am not going to worry about it. I figured while I was there why not, but by the time they get parts in I will have it deleted.

#60 · (Edited)
Possibly have the same issue with the old (original part #) part

Apparently Thats what they have new part?

New part # tells me its been superseded

Somebody posted earlier the orig part was problematic and is being mfg by Delphi now...

#62 · (Edited)
As the sensor is part of the emissions package, it seems to me it should be subject to the Federally mandated 8 year 80,000 mile emissions system warranty. The ECM in my wife's KIA took a dump at 70,000 miles, they quoted 1.2K, I reminded them that the ECM is part of the emissions package covered by said Federal warranty, got a free ECM :smile:

#63 ·
If in doubt, all one who need to do is refer to the warranty booklet. It lists the items covered under the Federal/CA emissions.
Some are covered for 7 years/70K miles and others are covered 8 years/80K miles.

#71 · (Edited)
At the dealer now, code is P24B0. As all of you noted, the part is not available. Dealer offered to give me a car while they keep the truck until it comes in.
But, I am taking it since there is no time frame. Seriously annoyed though because we all know whats going on, but the dealers don't? I feel that they should keep up with things like this.
Anyways, my concern is about driving it with the bad sensor. I have been driving for a month with it this way already. No issues have popped up yet. Thoughts?

#72 ·
At the dealer now, code is P24B0. As all of you noted, the part is not available. Dealee offered to give me a car while they keep the truck until it comes in.
But, I am taking it since there is no time frame. Seriously annoyed though because we all know whats going on, but the dealers don't? I feel that they should keep up with things like this.
Anyways, my concern is about driving it with the bad sensor. I have been driving for a month with it this way already. No issues have popped up yet. Thoughts?
I have been driving about 3 weeks since first CEL, the light has come on and gone off randomly since, doesn't seem to effect much other than no remote start or trailer mode when CEL is on. I hope they get these in stock soon. Love the truck and the dealer is good but if this goes into limp mode 'cause of this i'll be pissed....

#73 ·
My truck is still at the dealer, and I still have my loaner car. I drove my truck for about a month too, with nothing ever happened to it. The dealer told me not to drive it, because it would go into limp mode eventually. Don't know how true that is, but I'm letting them keep it just in case because I didn't want to get stranded in it.

#74 ·
Just got a call the new sensor is in

Haven't been able to get the truck in for the repair yet

If the previous post regarding a new mfg sensor is correct we'll see if it is the new Delphi sensor

I'll post the results asap

Reactions: dmaxjr
#78 ·
I got a call today that the new sensor came in, they are still waiting on the connector that goes to it because that got melted in the process. Hopefully I get it back soon, because I really miss my truck.

#79 · (Edited)
My truck has been sitting in the shop for over a month. Not sure if the DPF, the DEPS, or one of the connectors.

The CEL came on in February (P16F3). ECM was updated. Could be unrelated.

In March CEL on. P24B1, P0381, P113E, P140B. I took it into the shop on a Saturday and they found those codes. They don't staff diesel tech's on weekends so they reset the CEL and told me to come back on Monday.

By Monday CEL was back on. P24B1. I also started to see the regen message. This was the first time I ever saw the regen message and I had 14k on the truck. I only drive highway so I assumed I was flushing the stuff with my driving habits.

They told me the Diesel Exhaust Particulate Sensor (55590140) had to be replaced. They let me leave the shop with the truck because they had to order the part and said, "It was perfectly safe to drive". Within 30 miles my truck went into limp mode on a large highway. Going 45mph on a 70mph highway isn't "safe" IMHO.

Got the truck to a new dealer. They found cod P2463 - Diesel Particulate Filter. They replaced the DPF.

I got the truck and within 50 miles CEL came on.

Now it's back in the shop and I'm told the connector to the sensor has a bent pin (or connector). No ETA on that.

#80 ·
I hope the new trucks are being built with the 'revised' parts. Because right now it sounds like GM has a significant issue with their emissions system in these diesels. If I didn't have mandatory emissions testing in my area, I'd delete/remove it upon receipt.

#82 ·
Had the sensor replaced this week, so far so good, no CEL

They used part # 55590140, Particulate Matter Sensor (internal sensor malfunction)

Nothing documented regarding whether it's Delphi or otherwise

#84 ·
@;

That from my sources is the old sensor, new sensor is 55502921 but not available yet.

#85 ·
Well thats not good news.... I guess we'll see what happens in the future.

Hopefully if they used the old, possibly problematic sensor, it will fail prior to warranty expiration

I assume this part is emissions related and should be covered under the emissions warranty???

#86 ·
They finally got the connector and sensor, I pick the truck up tomorrow. I am so happy it finally got fixed after 6 weeks, although they did give me nice loaner vehicles in the meantime. I haven't seen the paper work yet, but I'll update on which part they put in.

#91 ·
The ECU firmware was revised to P/N 55503892 to relax test limits for P24B1 and a number of other codes.
I had a CEL on the list (P013B), my dealer flashed the ECU to 55503892 and I have had no issues since. Reference TSB 17-NA-105

The latest firmware is now P/N 55508080 which relaxes limits for even more codes.
You may or may not actually have a hardware issue. There is no harm in installing a fresh sensor if not - but make sure they flash the latest ECM code while they are at it.

This was the first diesel to go through the new cert process after the VW debacle. They may have been nervous and set test limits a bit tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.