Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor Fail

92K views 182 replies 70 participants last post by  SKWRLE 
#1 ·
26,500 Miles now, CEL comes on so I swing by my dealer. Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor is "bad". New sensor is supposed to arrive Tuesday, appointment on Wednesday. It is noisier than normal, so I have it parked and am driving the Passat. Will post results.
I am not afraid of the engine or transmission, but my ECM, BCM, and now this sensor failure is why I wish GM kept the 100,000 mile warranty on the Duramax line.

#93 ·
If they want to replace a sensor I'd certainly let them do it. They narrow down faults with the codes after all. I would suggest that they additionally load the latest firmware as there have been some instances of false codes. That way you get a shiny new sensor and more error free code.
Besides - it still could be the sensor.

#94 ·
Explanation I got was "GM told us to flash a newer firmware version and see if it comes back"

sounds like they applied one of 55503892 or 55508080, no sensor replacement. They're supposed to email me the official work order as they were too backed up to process paperwork, maybe it will provide more details.

hopefully that's the end of it.

#95 ·
I haven't had any more CEL's so firmware may well fix it. Don't be surprised if the tune numbers are different on your paperwork. I have a '16 and that is what my posted numbers were for. The '17s and up lock the ECU in a different manner so the flash numbers may differ.

-Good Luck-

#99 ·
DPM Sensor Software Recall

Took mine in for it's second free oil change today and was told there is a recall in place to flash new software for the diesel Particulate matter sensor, which they did. I've never had a problem or code thrown.

#100 · (Edited)
Are the sensor issues possibly related to a recall?

Is it possible this is covered under a voluntary recall - https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls?vin=1GCPTEE14J1170202 ?

Recall Title:

Diesel Particulate Matter Sensor Diagnostic Fault

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Recall involving certain 2016 model year Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon; 2017 model year Chevrolet Express, GMC Savana; 2017-2018 model year Chevrolet Colorado, Cruze, Silverado HD, GMC Canyon, Sierra HD and 2018 model year Chevrolet Equinox, GMC Terrain vehicles, equipped with a diesel engine. The engine control module in these vehicles may not properly diagnose a fault in the exhaust particulate matter sensor. Additionally, a subset of these vehicles, certain 2017 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD and GM Sierra HD vehicles, may in rare instances exhibit a condition in which the engine surges up to 2,800 RPM during vehicle coast or vehicle braking.

Repair Description:

Program the engine control module, and transmission control module when applicable.
We just bought our new 2018 ZR2 last night and the dealer said they had to do a recall before they could let me take delivery. I'm pretty sure this is what they showed me. The sheet had yesterday's date on it and they acted like it had just been issued, though it's dated Nov. 1 2017 on the web site.

Hope this helps.

#101 ·
I just purchased my 2018 this past weekend. Took delivery Monday. Got a call yesterday saying I needed to bring it back in for the Recall asap. They weren't supposed to let me take it and it is apparently holding up the sales paperwork (lol). Funny thing is that they supposedly reflashed the ECM due to a light load, 1500-1700 rpm stumble I found during a two day test drive. Shouldn't they have caught when they performed the reflash? Once connected to the computer it should have flagged the VIN as needing the update.

Taking it back in tonight. I'll bring up the stumble again. It's still there.

Reactions: Rick Martin
#102 ·
I just stumbled across this and logged into mychevyapp and this is what it is saying:

GM Recall #:
N172118140

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Recall involving certain 2016 model year Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon; 2017 model year Chevrolet Express, GMC Savana; 2017-2018 model year Chevrolet Colorado, Cruze, Silverado HD, GMC Canyon, Sierra HD and 2018 model year Chevrolet Equinox, GMC Terrain vehicles, equipped with a diesel engine. The engine control module in these vehicles may not properly diagnose a fault in the exhaust particulate matter sensor. Additionally, a subset of these vehicles, certain 2017 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD and GM Sierra HD vehicles, may in rare instances exhibit a condition in which the engine surges up to 2,800 RPM during vehicle coast or vehicle braking.

HOWEVER, this recall is showing a software flash as the fix:

Repair Description:

Program the engine control module, and transmission control module when applicable.

I'm kinda confused now. Is this recall in question? Why are some saying a sensor is to be replaced and the recall saying a ECU flash?

#103 ·
Funny - I just had the P24B0 code about 3 weeks ago on my 2016, took to the dealer on the December 1st, they ordered and replaced the sensor on the 2nd. My Check engine light went off, but there's no mention of them doing any software update. In the year I've owned it, it hasn't had any software updates. I have the recall notice on My Chevrolet as well, so I'm curious to see when it goes in at somepoint if it actually does need the software or was my sensor truly bad. Now if I could get them upgrade the radio software too so I can see the backup cam while driving forward like you can in the 2018s. ;)

#104 ·
Been averaging around 350 to 400 miles per regen according to OBD Fusion. I do drive quite a bit of highway though.

#107 ·
At 24,000 miles I had the sensor replaced, today at 45,000 miles check engine light came on, they flashed the Ecu and its fixed now. No light is on now. Both were done under emissions warranty, I do not have extended warranty.

#108 ·
GM Recall #:
N172118140

Folks, this must be a different recall/issue than that is being discussed here. I called the dealer service department and was told that this recall (the only one, other than a page missing from the owners manual) showing up in mychevyapp is the only one that applies to my 2017.

And that it is strictly an ECM upgrade. Optionally they could run a manual regen if it were necessary.

I'll probably wait until January and let them flash it.

#111 ·
When I had issues with my HVAC in my truck from a botched blend door recall, I reached out the the GM person on this forum which ultimately led to emailing socialmedia@gm.com and working with Brandon J. He was great and kept me informed throughout the whole process. He started a Case with GM and asked which dealer I wanted to work with. It can't hurt to reach out and see what can be done. I think Chevy needs to stand behind their emission warranty. As I recall it took a couple days to get a response, but once I did, Brandon was super responsive.

#113 ·
I went to buy my ZR2 this past Saturday and couldn’t process the paperwork due to it needing the computer flash to expand the perimeters of the exhaust sensor. Had to return yesterday to close the deal but I still have a smile on my face.

#118 ·
They did mine last Saturday while I was in for an oil change, it honestly doesn't feel any different to me. The only odd thing I noticed is I use ODB Fusion to monitor things and it reset the Regen average to zero. Then when it did a regen shortly after it reported the average as 5,757 miles, which was half of my total mileage. No big deal, I just thought that was interesting and I presume it will come back into whack after a few regens occur.

#119 ·
Anyone notice the idle RPM is a little higher after the update? Mine is about 50 RPM or so higher after the engine is fully warmed up. Maybe this is to help keep the DPF cleaner? I don't know...

#120 ·
Had it done yesterday and the engine seems a bit 'louder', but can't really put my finger on it. Can't say I notice any performance difference, though.

#129 ·
I had the same issue around 14k miles.
I did some digging and it seems there was a gen 1 of that sensor (hitachi or something makes it).
As it was explained to me, the sensor has "self cleaning" feature that burns the sensing tip clean and this is the part that eventually fails.
The Gen 2 design was supposed to correct this design issue.
When mine went out there was a "nationwide backorder" on those sensors. My dealer found one at another dealer and had it shipped over.
I am at 43k now and have not had another issue with it.

#130 ·
I have replaced three Particulate Matter Sensors on my 2016 and have a fourth on order. CEL's at 351 miles, 10,525 miles, 31,1161 miles and 44,747 miles all for the same issue. To date all repairs have been done under warranty, including an ECM reprogram last December. However, the dealership says there is a revised part number for the sensor and the repairs are no longer covered. Estimate was $300-$400 for repairs, but GMC willing to offer $200 “Goodwill” as apparently I am a good customer. I have been playing phone-tag with Tier 2 Rep at GM Customer Service for a little over a week to see what they are willing to offer.

#131 ·
Reading this makes me glad I deleted pre-warranty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.