Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor Fail - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to KS_Jetta Send a message via MSN to KS_Jetta
Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor Fail

26,500 Miles now, CEL comes on so I swing by my dealer. Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor is "bad". New sensor is supposed to arrive Tuesday, appointment on Wednesday. It is noisier than normal, so I have it parked and am driving the Passat. Will post results.
I am not afraid of the engine or transmission, but my ECM, BCM, and now this sensor failure is why I wish GM kept the 100,000 mile warranty on the Duramax line.

2016 Colorado Z71 4wd Crew Cab Long Box Duramax
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual
2015 Silverado LT 4wd - the Wife's
1997 F250 XL 460 4wd 5 Speed - The farm truck

I'm not an environmental activist, I'm an active environmentalist

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 03:28 PM

Can you post the part number for this when you get the info and comment if you notice a change between regen intervals, if you track them?

Reason I ask is because I'm wondering if this is the cause of more frequent regens due to poor calibration and I might like to try swapping mine and see what difference it makes if any.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Will do. Most of my trips are 75 miles each way or longer at highway speeds, so I have never noticed a regen.

[IMG][/IMG]

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 09:03 PM

bummer but I'm still curious :D
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 11:38 AM

Garage
Interesting, my truck has passed 15k miles, the Regen interval seems to have improved. I normally get about +/- 200, lately it is around 275, could that be the winter blend diesel? Or is it the sign of sensor failing, I wonder.

'16 Canyon Duramax
SLT 4x4 CC SB
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon16Dmax View Post
Interesting, my truck has passed 15k miles, the Regen interval seems to have improved. I normally get about +/- 200, lately it is around 275, could that be the winter blend diesel? Or is it the sign of sensor failing, I wonder.
Are you completely stock too seeing the crappy +/- 200 regens? I'm really hating that GM says they should be happening once per tank or tank and a half and I'm averaging 2 per tank

I'm inclined to think this sensor is outta wack and needs to be replaced, it's not getting cleaned properly during regens or for some reason the EGR is overactive and creating excess soot.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:32 PM

Garage
Since day 1 my truck has had a regen every 650-700 kms. 12,500 kms now. Unless you drive all city, idle a lot, or lots of short trips, or Tuned then 200 mile regen intervals are not the norm.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxjr View Post
Since day 1 my truck has had a regen every 650-700 kms. 12,500 kms now. Unless you drive all city, idle a lot, or lots of short trips, or Tuned then 200 mile regen intervals are not the norm.
80-90% city heavy traffic
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Sounds about right. I get a passive regen about every 450-550 miles. I wonder how a tune affects how often a regen occurs?

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Are you completely stock too seeing the crappy +/- 200 regens? I'm really hating that GM says they should be happening once per tank or tank and a half and I'm averaging 2 per tank

I'm inclined to think this sensor is outta wack and needs to be replaced, it's not getting cleaned properly during regens or for some reason the EGR is overactive and creating excess soot.
Mine is completely stocked! LA traffic has a lot of stop and go, I would say 50-50 split between highway and city. Though, driving a long stretch of highway, the regen interval is around 350 to 400 miles. I don't even know how to ask the dealer service to check on the sensor. They probably don't even know where to begin and may claim nothing is wrong. May be just wait for the part number from KS_Jetta, I'll buy one and replace it myself. Any suggestions?
lqdchkn likes this.

'16 Canyon Duramax
SLT 4x4 CC SB
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:13 PM

I would think tech could check sensor function using the GM scan tool.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon16Dmax View Post
Mine is completely stocked! LA traffic has a lot of stop and go, I would say 50-50 split between highway and city. Though, driving a long stretch of highway, the regen interval is around 350 to 400 miles. I don't even know how to ask the dealer service to check on the sensor. They probably don't even know where to begin and may claim nothing is wrong. May be just wait for the part number from KS_Jetta, I'll buy one and replace it myself. Any suggestions?
Yeah I wanna see what the hit to the pocket book could be, lol

What youre describing seems to coincide with my experience. I typically see between 180-250 with my heavy commute. If I go camping and/or can stretch its legs on a long distance trip those will typically stall out to about the 350-400 mark. But IMO from GM's posted info (which is something to the effect of regens every tank or 2), I'm under the impression that I should be around the 350-400 mark normally (worst) and the long trips should stretch me to the 450-700ish range.

While everything is working normally and there's no other performance issue than slightly worse MPG due to the added regens it still concerns me that the exhaust systems are "working harder" than they should be which is wearing on life expectancy

Last edited by lqdchkn; 11-23-2016 at 04:15 PM.
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 09:07 PM

Garage
The "regen once per tank "is such a generic term that all brands are using for reference to regen intervals. My 6.6L had a 136 liter tank, regen was every 450 kms( i rarely drive in a city by the way), about 3/4 of a tank. My Cummins regen was every 300 kms or every 1/2 tank same driving habits and 130L tank. My 2.8L regen is every 650-700kms , 3/4 of a tank, tank size 80L. So you can see that referring to regen as once per tank by all brands is never accurate or a good reference point.

In the city with stop and go traffic and idle time will definitely affect regen cycle. If you work the truck hard, pull trailer, drive up steep grades, do lots of highway driving you will get the best milage between regens. This is due to the truck performing p
Passive regens due to the heat in DPF cleaning without having the 5th injector dose fuel(Active regen)to provide the heat. When driving short trips or slow city driving the DPF cannot do passive regens and active ones are more frequent to deal with this kind of driving.
lqdchkn likes this.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
The "regen once per tank "is such a generic term that all brands are using for reference to regen intervals. My 6.6L had a 136 liter tank, regen was every 450 kms( i rarely drive in a city by the way), about 3/4 of a tank. My Cummins regen was every 300 kms or every 1/2 tank same driving habits and 130L tank. My 2.8L regen is every 650-700kms , 3/4 of a tank, tank size 80L. So you can see that referring to regen as once per tank by all brands is never accurate or a good reference point.

In the city with stop and go traffic and idle time will definitely affect regen cycle. If you work the truck hard, pull trailer, drive up steep grades, do lots of highway driving you will get the best milage between regens. This is due to the truck performing p
Passive regens due to the heat in DPF cleaning without having the 5th injector dose fuel(Active regen)to provide the heat. When driving short trips or slow city driving the DPF cannot do passive regens and active ones are more frequent to deal with this kind of driving.

It seems you've experienced similar regen interval across multiple different platforms which would seem to indicate they are fairly normal.

So it sounds like based on your experience I'm more worried over nothing because GM has set an improper perception?

Your experience is much appreciated, thank you for sharing
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have the truck back - loaner this time was a new Silverado Z71 - and the diagnosis must have been correct. No CEL. Here is the language from the service report:
Cause: Particulate Mass Sensor Shorted
Correction: Went through charts for P24B0 found mass sensor faulty/ replaced particulate sensor
Part number: 55590140

If I notice any different truck characteristics - Fuel Mileage difference, Regen noticability, performance, noise, etc. - I'll post.
lqdchkn and dmaxjr like this.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #16 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Jetta View Post
Ooo that sucker is like $150 guess I'll be doing the test on it too before I just swap it for another
KS_Jetta likes this.
post #17 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 12:52 PM

Actually as I read through this sensor diagnostics there is no actual test for the sensor performance so I'm prolly not going to mess with it. The manual only states that if a DTC came up for the sensor to check the system to ensure it's getting the proper inputs and if the inputs are good then change the sensor. No actual test for the sensor output of the sensor to ensure it's in spec. :(

If there is a culprit contributing to the shorted regen intervals it's likely the Differential Pressure Sensor in the DPF which may be worth looking into
post #18 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 02:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Jetta View Post
I have the truck back - loaner this time was a new Silverado Z71 - and the diagnosis must have been correct. No CEL. Here is the language from the service report:
Cause: Particulate Mass Sensor Shorted
Correction: Went through charts for P24B0 found mass sensor faulty/ replaced particulate sensor

If I notice any different truck characteristics - Fuel Mileage difference, Regen noticability, performance, noise, etc. - I'll post.
Thank you for the update. Appreciate it.

'16 Canyon Duramax
SLT 4x4 CC SB
post #19 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 03:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Actually as I read through this sensor diagnostics there is no actual test for the sensor performance so I'm prolly not going to mess with it. The manual only states that if a DTC came up for the sensor to check the system to ensure it's getting the proper inputs and if the inputs are good then change the sensor. No actual test for the sensor output of the sensor to ensure it's in spec. :(

If there is a culprit contributing to the shorted regen intervals it's likely the Differential Pressure Sensor in the DPF which may be worth looking into
There is a bit on OBD Fusion to monitor the DEP Bank 1 delta pressure in SAE PIDs group. But the readings in inHG go all over the places, I can't pinpoint the triggering point. To test the delta-p requires some sensitive instrumentation set-up. It would be great if you find a way to check it. I am like you, concern about premature wearing of the DPF. Thanks.

'16 Canyon Duramax
SLT 4x4 CC SB
post #20 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 AM

Garage
I have been waiting for a replacement sensor for 2.5 weeks... GM has realized that these sensors are poorly built and has gone to Delphi for a replacement, Delphi is still working on it... I would recommend waiting until the new part exists as well as a service bulliton on the matter before trying to get anything done. I will update when the new part is on the way.
Vinolush likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode