Cel p24b1 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By lqdchkn
  • 1 Post By exmasonite
  • 2 Post By ssgjurista

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Cel p24b1

I just bought a baby max last night and on the drive home from the dealer( about 200 miles on the odometer at this point) I had a CEL pop up. I called Onstar and they told be the code was P24B1, which was an emissions issue. I verified this with my cheap Bluetooth ODBII reader. After reading numerous threads that highlight different CELs and codes, they all seem to point toward the Knox sensors. Has any one seen this P24B1 code before?
I called my local dealer and they did not have anyone in the office today who can take a look at it and the other dealers near by can't squeeze me in today.

I'm really wondering if it is safe to drive with this code present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
DTC P24B1 Particulate Matter Sensor Circuit High Voltage

Circuit/System Description The particulate matter (PM) sensor monitors the amount of the particulates (soot) in the diesel exhaust gas exiting the tailpipe. The PM sensor is similar to the heated oxygen sensor with a ceramic element, but also includes an individually calibrated sensor control unit (SCU). The sensing element includes comb shaped interdigital electrodes (IDE), a heater and a positive temperature coefficient resistor for temperature measurement. The operation of the PM Sensor is based on the electrical conductivity characteristic of the diesel particulate. As the exhaust gas flows over the sensing element, soot is absorbed in the combs between the electrodes, eventually creating a conductive path. When the path is formed, it generates a current based on the voltage being applied to the element. The measurement process continues until a preset current value is reached. To avoid misleading readings, the sensor performs a regeneration where the soot is cleaned off by heating up the element, before the measurement phase begins. The amount of regenerations is based on vehicle strategy; when the calibrated number of regenerations is reached, the cumulative current readings are used to determine the amount of soot concentration in the exhaust gas which in turn determines the collection efficiency of the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

It's noted that this condition will only set if the "The*reductant*control*module*relay*2*is*commanded *ON.."

That would seem to mean it could be related to the DEF system and dealers are notorious for not filling the DEF tank. Check the DEF level on the DIC and make sure it says "OK" level. If it's low I'd top it off and clear the code and see if it comes back.
dmaxjr likes this.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 04-21-2017 at 10:44 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:04 PM

Garage
Clear the code and see if it returns sonce you have a scanner.. When new and still "learning" the Nox sensors and DEF system can trigger a CEL and P2*B* codes on these trucks.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 03:15 PM

Bumping an old thread but wondering what happened with this code, boggs.

Have a '16 Colorado with 5900 miles. Have an appt for first oil change tomorrow but check engine light came on today. The Onstar diagnostic gave the P24B1 code, recommends service visit in next 7 days.

How did things go with you? Any other input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:02 PM

Garage
I think he cleared code and hasn't come back on yet. This has been the situation on a lot of the DEF related hiccup codes.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:15 PM

Hmmm... just found out my truck threw this code once before. Check engine light came on when I was 20 miles down the road from buying it, 91 miles on odometer. Dealer checked it out, said something was improperly done with setting up after transport or being locked down on trailer and they had to "release it". Looked at sheet, it's the same code, P24B1.

Going to dealership tomorrow. will keep you posted.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:24 PM

Garage
My dad's Colorado just had the same code diagnosed and repaired at the dealership. They replaced a sensor with part number 55590140. The invoice says "Cause: Replace shorted rear particulate mass sensor".

Black 2016 GMC Canyon | Crew Cab, Short Box | All Terrain Package | Duramax 2.8
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 PM

Just to follow up, I was told that a diesel particulate senor went and had to be replaced.

Running like a top now.
lqdchkn likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:33 AM

It would be cool to have a list of the CEL codes. I searched the Internet and found code lists for the big Duramaxes, but not these trucks.

Anyway, it is not uncommon for new vehicles to have a sensor fail early on, and these diesels have a lot of sensors. I plan to fly and buy my truck, and am taking an inexpensive code reader with me in case this happens during my 750 mile trip home.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:29 PM

Bumping an old thread because mine through a P24B1 code yesterday, says pending fault, I cleared it, if it comes back I will make an appointment with the dealer. 2016 w/ 5600 miles odm.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
It would be cool to have a list of the CEL codes. I searched the Internet and found code lists for the big Duramaxes, but not these trucks.

Anyway, it is not uncommon for new vehicles to have a sensor fail early on, and these diesels have a lot of sensors. I plan to fly and buy my truck, and am taking an inexpensive code reader with me in case this happens during my 750 mile trip home.
Available here: https://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/2016eparms.html
mexica and dmaxjr like this.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:40 PM

Garage
Had a cel (p24b1) on the way to the dealership for an unrelated issue. Have been without my truck for two weeks now... Apparently the sensor is on "National Control" meaning GM is waiting on Delphi to release a V2.0 of the sensor, anyone else waiting on this sensor? Also I would assume this means everyone will need to replace this part even if you already have...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:25 PM

Good to know, took mine in last week with around 6000 miles on it. They had it for 6 days, replaced the soot sensor part number 55590140, said the sensor shorted. They told me the part was on national back order but made no mention of it being a new or old version. Hope it last, hate to have to take it back in another year.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM

Just got the code 3 days ago with 2500 miles. How has everyone else faired. They overnighted the sensor for today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode