Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Gets louder in 4WD

7K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  COBRACON 
#1 ·
My 2016 diesel (4x4, long bed, crew) makes a loud vibrating noise when in 4WD or Auto 4WD.

Example, when i accelerate in either Auto 4WD or 4WD, the engine noise seems louder and it causes a vibration. When cruising at a consistent speed, the noise is not noticeable. But under normal acceleration, like from a stop sign onto a 35 mph road, there is a loud echo/vibration from the front drivers side. You can make the sound go away by simply turning the knob back to 2WD.

So, being under warranty (only 2000 miles on the truck) i immediately took it to the dealer. Dealer took it for a drive and then did some research. They told me that there was a technical bulletin issued by Chevy on this issue, and that the sound is considered normal.

Anyone else dealt with this? I cannot find the technical bulletin online.

Thanks.

#3 ·
Take it to another dealer and have them look at it. I took my canyon to one dealership for a HVAC problem and ask them to put that clamp on the blend door and they wouldn't. Went to another dealer for something else and asked and they did it no question asked. Also it doesn't have to be a Chevy store you can take it to a gmc one as well.

#6 ·
Mine too,only when accelerating fairly aggressively, normal for the truck. My 2015 Denali did the same when in 4x4 and accelerating , especially when the road surface wasn't really slippery. The 2015 V6 shop truck does the same. It is only a slight enough vibe to make you feel your front axles are engaged.

If you are feeling a real heavy vibe and it is concerning you enough to where you don't think it is normal, i would look further into front diff or CV joint.

#5 ·
I used my 4 wheel drive for the first time the other day in the snow, and noticed the same thing your describing. I hope it's normal, because I hate leaving my truck at the dealer for anything let alone something like that.

#8 · (Edited)
My F150 does the same thing. Its more noticable in 4Auto. If you have disconnecting front hubs then you have to imagine that there is a whole bunch of extra equipment spinning very fast right under your seat when you are in 4x4 that wouldnt be when you are in 2x4.

My jeep doesnt do it because the hubs are always engaged so the front drivetrain still spins, it just disconnects at the transfer case.

#10 ·
Thats normal for a 4x4 to make the sounds your describing. Pretty sure its the gears in the transfer case.

#12 · (Edited)
I have the same issue. I have had many different trucks that I literally abused in 4wd. This is the first one that I have owned that makes this noise /vibration. So if it is "normal" or not I do not like it or think that it should do that. Vibrations are never a good sign! On the good side the vibration is the only thing I have found on this truck that i would say I dislike!

P.s. I don't think the document from 2003 stating the transfer case may be noisier is really relevant to a 2016.
I own 2 repair shops so I have a fair idea what is acceptable to a customer and would definitely not classify the vibration as normal.

#13 ·
If you think it is unacceptable then your truck may have a problem. Have one of your tech's in one of your shops check it out for you.

Every (regardless of brand) truck that i have driven in 4WD always had more of a vibe when accelerating hard, nothing serious ,just enough to know my front end is driving the truck.

#15 ·
MInes loud and vibrates also. I think it's unacceptable. The front output yoke on my transfer case has a lot of up and down play in it. ILL find out next week if it's "normal" since it's at the dealer getting the rear axle fixed. I have a 78 bronco with a np205 transfer case and the yoke is tighter than this 2016.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.