Rattle - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Rattle

Have a rattle coming from passenger side behind glove box during certain times, have had dealer check it out and can't find. I'm thinking computer board, has anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 09:51 AM

Lots of people has/had this Vibration problem with the computer vibrating. Stick some thin rubber foam behind it.

Skip H.
2016 Colorado
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 10:32 AM

I had this as well.. ended up being a bracket that held some cooling pipes in place that was located to close to the firewall...all they did was bend it back away from it... there is a bulletin out for this PIT5505

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 11:18 AM

Mine was the computer in the bracket. I zip tied them tightly together

2016 CCSB Duramax

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Garage
ECM was my rattle as well. Take ECM out of bracket,put foam between ECM and bracket and re install. The diesel engine shakes at low rpm and the wiring harness to the ECM from Engine vibrates and causes ECM to vibrate in the holder creating a buzz/rattle. I could have swore it was coming from inside behind glove box. ECM is right on the other side of firewall from glove box in engine compartment.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 11:59 AM

I have a rattle somewhere on the ac/heat control panel. At least that is what I think!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 12:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8OR View Post
I have a rattle somewhere on the ac/heat control panel. At least that is what I think!
If the rattle/buzz comes and goes with engine rpm , but NOT with bumps in rough roads then look into the ECM shake.
If it only happens during bumps or rough surface driving then not usually the ECM, but some plastic vibration, wich is usually worse when cold weather.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxjr View Post
If the rattle/buzz comes and goes with engine rpm , but NOT with bumps in rough roads then look into the ECM shake.
If it only happens during bumps or rough surface driving then not usually the ECM, but some plastic vibration, wich is usually worse when cold weather.
Thanks! I will check it out.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 11:55 AM

I think mine is from after I hit bumps it starts but keeps going some times. Drives me crazy. It is quite then hit some rough patches in hyw then a vibration rattling plastic noise starts and sometimes don't stop. Then may be gone after a while then start back up. I think ill ask my mechanic here at work to see if he can at least put rubber foam behind ECM to at least take it out of equation. The if it still does it guess ill see about the cooling pipes next. Someone mentioned glove box screws but I down know where they are and what they mean on that one.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:12 PM

Hi cgory and others,

We understand how this rattling can be frustrating and would be happy to contact the dealer on your behalf to get this addressed. Please feel free to send us a private message if you'd like to discuss further. Be sure to include your full contact info, VIN, mileage and preferred dealer. We're here if further assistance is needed.

Best,

Bret B.
GM Customer Care
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:24 AM
KMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
Hi cgory and others,

We understand how this rattling can be frustrating and would be happy to contact the dealer on your behalf to get this addressed. Please feel free to send us a private message if you'd like to discuss further. Be sure to include your full contact info, VIN, mileage and preferred dealer. We're here if further assistance is needed.

Best,

Bret B.
GM Customer Care
Why is it that you pop up right away on small things like rattles and radio issues, but are nowhere to be found on the seriously problematic issues, like the shifting problems? By coming on here you are the face and representative of GM. Not just to an individual customer, but to all other customers and public with access to the internet. You're really reinforcing the growing perception/opinion that GM couldn't care less about their customers with this very real problem that has been PROVEN to be completely fixable. Multiple aftermarket tuners have been able to completely fix this issue. Why won't you?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
100MPG likes this.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:31 PM

Hi guys - I had a terrible metal on metal rattle in the passenger side dash of my 16 CC diesel. Took the glove box out, searched around - the two main screws that hold in the passenger airbag were able to be turned with my fingers. Took 6 or 7 full turns of the bolt to get them to snug down. Metal on metal rattle gone now, but holy cow - not reassuring that the airbag wasn't tightened down. Now I have a plastic on plastic rattle. I've narrowed it down to the little device with the string that keeps the glove box from dropping like a rock. It looks like a total pain to get that little thing out, so I haven't been able to remove it and test, but a tap on the black plastic bar around that thing causes the same noise when the truck hits a bump. Sounds like a spring rattling in a plastic tube.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMW View Post
Why is it that you pop up right away on small things like rattles and radio issues, but are nowhere to be found on the seriously problematic issues, like the shifting problems? By coming on here you are the face and representative of GM. Not just to an individual customer, but to all other customers and public with access to the internet. You're really reinforcing the growing perception/opinion that GM couldn't care less about their customers with this very real problem that has been PROVEN to be completely fixable. Multiple aftermarket tuners have been able to completely fix this issue. Why won't you?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Seems to me that the whole point is to get complaints off a public forum and have them sent to private messaging where they will not be seen.
k7tnt and 100MPG like this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:17 PM

I had a similar coming from the glove box area when ever I hit a rough patch of road. After trying to figure out where it was coming from for a couple of days, I finally found the source. It was actually the screws that run across the top of the glove box compartment. They are visible once you open the glove box. Two of them were completely loose and about to fall out. They screw into metal clips, so it was a metal on metal rattle. Easy fix. Something worth while to check out.

'16 CC Z71
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:22 PM

I think I heard this today. 600 miles on my truck. Will be listening more closely going forward. Have to turn off audio and HVAC and run low speed and I think that is the triggering scenario. Going to subscribe here to keep up with this.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:39 AM

My rattles are fixed now but one was the trim around the speaker in the middle of the dash and the other was the trim around the rear view mirror.

The mirror trim just need to be pushed on to be popped into place.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugafiredawg View Post
I had a similar coming from the glove box area when ever I hit a rough patch of road. After trying to figure out where it was coming from for a couple of days, I finally found the source. It was actually the screws that run across the top of the glove box compartment. They are visible once you open the glove box. Two of them were completely loose and about to fall out. They screw into metal clips, so it was a metal on metal rattle. Easy fix. Something worth while to check out.
I'm working on tracking down my rattles. I'm fairly certain I have the dreaded door rattles but I thought I'd check all these as well.

Those 4 screws on the top of my glove box were completely loose as well. I'll have to drive around to see if that removed one of my rattles.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 4" MaxTrac lift with 2" RC level kit, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963 View Post
I'm working on tracking down my rattles. I'm fairly certain I have the dreaded door rattles but I thought I'd check all these as well.

Those 4 screws on the top of my glove box were completely loose as well. I'll have to drive around to see if that removed one of my rattles.
Good deal! Hope it resolved at least some of the rattles. I ended up using some loktite on them to prevent it from happening again. Those little suckers can make a lot of noise when loose!

'16 CC Z71
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:29 AM

To bring this back to life: I had some rattles too. 5 hours later

Quote:
FOLLOW PIT 5505 GIVEN BY CUSTOMER. FOUND THAT THE NOISE IS COMING FROM THE AIR CLEANRE OUTLET HOSE. CHECKED AND FOUNDS THAT GM IS AWARE OF THIS CONCERN AND WORKING ON A REPAIR FOR THIS

NO REPIARS MADE AT THIS TIME
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:13 PM

Mine is the passengers side door, they looked at and said, "No abnormal sounds". 😳The other drivers side door doesn't do it, lol. I'll be tackling this one one day.

2016 Z71 Midnight Edition Colorado w/ Duramax and Bose/Nav.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode