Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

New truck, 300 miles, time to tune

9K views 42 replies 11 participants last post by  mrpositraction 
#1 ·
Picked up my Colorado on Tuesday, got 300 miles on the clock, heading down to Duramaxtuner today to pick up my tunes. Pretty stoked to experience the new power.

Did a search, didn't find a lot of information, but is anyone running Duramaxtuner on this board? What are your feelings/thoughts?

This is also my first Chevy, long time Ford boy, and recently had my share of EcoBoost motors and had a lot of success tuning them.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Welcome to the board, I am wondering how did you search? I went ahead and put "Duramaxtuner" and the thread posted above me was right there?

Anyway don't forget to stop by and review the rules.

Thanks!

Reactions: macr88 and wonkman
#5 ·
Your site rules link in your sig goes to a place I am not allowed to go.

#4 ·
I originally did the search on my phone, and when I was reading it I somehow missed most of the discussion, reading through it now.

Reactions: Arctic Cat ZRT
#8 ·
Please post up after you install your tune and let us know what you think.

#10 ·
I picked up during lunch. Was a little surprised they didn't offer to come out and walk me through the loading steps as the booklet that comes with it wasn't much help at all and was more confusing than anything. Had I not read on here before going I would have been lost.

Tune feel very strong! I ran Tune 3 on the way home. Shifts feel like the WILL be good but it feels like the transmission is learning still from the re-flash. I can already feel it settle in but I haven't got to play a lot with it as it was mostly highway on the way back to work. The power is very present and it likes to stay in low gear and just go. I will let it settle in a little and report back. It is really cold here right now with some strong winds so mileage is in the toilet.

Not real happy with the OBD2 connector, they suggest popping the factory connector out of its bracket and placing this in the bracket for a cleaner install, but they must have changed the way it connects to the body as it is all one piece. There is a good chance when I go to apply the parking brake I am going to kick or pull down the OBD2 connector. Will see what I can do to secure it.

#9 ·
Where are you guys mounting the 4 position switch?

#11 ·
I found this, not sure if I like this spot or not. I do like you can remove it and not have a visible hole in the dash, but you can't really see the numbers and would have to go on feel all the time. In reality probably not going to be changing tunes often, so this spot might work just fine.

2016 2.8L Duramax Tune Loading Instructions

#12 · (Edited)
I like tune 3 the best, but have been in tune 2 for a couple months now, since I was told not to tow in tune 3 and found myself needing to tow more often then I thought I would with this truck. Winter is here now so I don't generally do much towing in the winter. So I plan to switch back to tune 3.

Only complaint I would have at all, is the less then straight foward steps that you have to go through on the spade to change tunes. It takes a few min to change, so I don't do it often enough to rember all the steps, I have had to get the instructions out quite often and the 1 page of less the stellar instructions .

Did you say they now have a 4 way switch available to change the tunes on the fly? That wasn't available when I bought mine back in May. If so I need to look into getting one of those.

Still love the power and improved drivability it adds to the truck. I would 100% for sure buy it again.

#13 ·
Yes, they have the DSP4 switch available now. I installed mine with the DSP tune. Very easy to switch, I just let off the gas, turn the nob to the tune I want, and then keep on keeping on.

Question for you, did you notice a LOT more turbo sound? I am getting more sound that is synced with the turbo speed, but it sounds more digital if you will, not the real high pitch sound you would normally hear with an open turbo.

I have a video, I will upload to youtube and then post here for everyone to hear. One thing to mention it is COLD here the last few days, today, not even above 0F yet (-3F this morning). Might play a role.

#17 ·
I need to check, it is below zero and I am in the middle of building a home, so living in a townhouse where only the wifes car fits.

The pipe from the IC to the Intake does move some, but it was too cold to take apart. This was my first thought though.

#21 ·
That was what I was going to speculate as well, saw some recent post on here about that sort of thing and similar noise symptoms . Didn't think it was really relate to tuning in those other post I had read about similar noise and popping that boot / pipe.

I watched the video and based on what I heard, mine does not do that.

In tune 3 or 4 with the trans tune in place as well helping keep the RPMs down, I do get a tiny tiny amount of additional turbo whistle. W

hich I kind of like the sound of a diesel's turbo whistle. I was sort of hopping after tuning, I would have gained more sound than I did.

#20 ·
Talked to Paul at Duramaxtuner and he said it sounds normal via the vid I posted. I may try and flash it back to stock to see if the sound changes

#22 ·
Thanks for info on the new 4 position switch.

Ordered one today.

#24 ·
I asked that very question today, when I ordered mine switch. They said just mount the switch and plug it into your obd2 port.

Apparently all 4 tunes are stored in the trucks computer, and already setup to recognize the switch when connected to the obd2 port.

Sounded really simple.

#26 ·
I thought maybe it was OBDI direct but all the photos I have seen of the switch show wire leads and spade connectors of some sort. If it was using a pass-through that would be great too.

#28 ·
Took both hot sides off this morning and can't find any cracks

I was surprised however how much oIL is in the hot side off the turbo already. I only have 500 miles on this truck.

Have pictures but they won't upload. Also, the hot side after the intercooler had ice built up in it.

#30 ·
I see that your boot on the turbo still has the two reinforcing rings. Make sure to inspect around where the rings go around the boot. Mine is leaking where the one ring was seated around the boot. Vibration created a small crack underneath where the ring went around the boot.

#29 ·

The last picture is started it it cold and I saw some condensation dripping where the waste gate enters the hot side of the turbo.

#32 ·
I'll grab another pic, was your very visible? I had the pipe completely out and slid the ring out of its groove and checked but didn't see anything.

#33 ·
Looks like I have everything?

#34 ·
Gee, those clamp bands look kind of chinsy, and your pix confirms how thin the boot material is. Probably an after market silicon boot that will replace it easily and some robust s.s. T-clamps.
Size it out at Silicon Intake dot Com!

#35 · (Edited)
I plan to buy my truck in June and finally took a good test drive in a '16 Canyon Duramax crew cab yesterday. It is easy to see how much more alive mrpositraction's truck is in the video. Sold on the Duramax.com tune, will do for sure. Do let us know if the sound changes when you go back to the stock tune. That sure does sound like a leak, but it is hard to say sitting at a computer. Will probably just get the AFE tube and a Provent right out of the gate when I get my truck, figure they are not that expensive and it will help protect and bulletproof things. The OP's photo shows oil in the pipe after not many miles. I am sold on the wisdom of adding the air/oil separator can to the PCV system after lurking in some Aussie forums (where the close cousin of this engine has been in service for awhile) and on this board. For whatever reason this topic has sparked a lot of drama on the board, not interested rekindling that for sure, but just pointing it out for any who are not familiar with it, so they can make their own decisions.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/226-diesel/285402-catch-can-dmax.html

Back to my test drive, Was very impressed with how solid and "non ponderous" the truck was to drive and how nicely finished out the interior was (SLT model). Loved the seats - they look great and are firm, which tells me they will be good for long trips. Too soft seats are the #1 cause of "monkey butt" during long trips you know. I am 6 feet and right around 200, the seats fit me well. Glad I am not super tall though, the top of the windshield struck me as being a little low.

I live in Colorado, so the mile high elevation is a bit of a factor, even with the turbo. Could feel the torque around 2,000 rpm at very casual acceleration. Did not mash the pedal of course, but but rolling in some throttle had it jumping to 3,500 rpm pretty quick. Would like more beef down low and for it to hold onto the higher gear longer for causally fast acceleration. these trucks are obviously great for cruising efficiently on the highway at low rpm with all that torque. This characteristic is what has me sold on the diesel, as I will do quite a bit of highway driving with it.

Kind of ironic really, the V6 with the 6 speed apparently could stand to give up the taller gears quicker, while the diesel seems to drop down a little more more readily, even in stock tune, than it could. Nice locomotive and smooth power though, and just the right amount of "dieselness" too - not oppressive at all, but present and obviously not a gas engine. Really liked the engine character - it is a gem. Just my impressions from driving, oh, about 8 miles! Will post up in a few months when I get my truck. Getting excited, been in Toyota Camry company cars for too long...

#36 ·
Thinking I am just going to order the AFE blade runner pipes and see if they quiet it down. Not like I needed that much of an excuse to order them :)

#37 ·
Picked up the intake while I was on extreme diesel, they have a good discount right now, both mid $800 (intake and both pipe kits, shipped)

#38 · (Edited)
Oh wow. You went whole hog! That will look very sweet and work great of course.

I am just thinking of replacing the stock rubber boots. This appears to the be place for getting better quality boots, some jiggering and figuring required, but not expensive to do. When I do it, I will post up the aftermarket ones needed to replicate the stock sizes.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

#39 ·
Intake will be here Friday, after ordering, the Bladerunner went on back order, should ship before some time in February :(

This is disappointing as I have been unable to find the suspected leak. Also, since I picked up my Duramaxtuner from their location rather than sending my stock file to them I have been unable to return to stock to check to see if it is tune related.

#41 ·
I had my truck in at the dealer. They can not find the leak either, it's not the boots after further inspection. GM says some noise is normal sound, I say bull crap. After 19k miles it just now started doing it, normal was before the noise in my opinion. GM does have a bulletin on it. Just no solution yet unless a failure is recorded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.