Transfer case leaves in "Auto" mode - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent907 View Post
Funny you mentioned because I was looking into it. In the 2017 Owner's Manual it does say do not leave in 4AUTO. But in 2016 manual it does not say anything about it
CORRECT!!

To elaborate .....You should not leave it in Auto4WD all the time. There is excessive wear & tear on components. It is NOT the same as an AWD system and is not designed for fulltime usage. The owners manual clearly states not to use it all the time.

When in 2WD - only the rear driveshaft and rear wheels drive the truck. Front components are not turning.

When in Auto4WD - all front components (axle shafts & driveshafts) are now turning freely and ready for drive to be applied. Although, I'm not familiar with the Autotrac t-case - but I'm pretty sure the components are engaged & disengaged in Auto mode. The tcase applies drive to the front when needed.

When in 4WD - all drive components (axle shafts & driveshafts) are applying drive to all wheels.

But.....with anything in life - you can use it however you want and either reap the benefits or the failures when they occur.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s

Last edited by Janster; 01-12-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
CORRECT!!

To elaborate .....You should not leave it in Auto4WD all the time. There is excessive wear & tear on components. It is NOT the same as an AWD system and is not designed for fulltime usage. The owners manual clearly states not to use it all the time.

When in 2WD - only the rear driveshaft and rear wheels drive the truck. Front components are not turning.

When in Auto4WD - all front components (axle shafts & driveshafts) are now turning freely and ready for drive to be applied. Although, I'm not familiar with the Autotrac t-case - but I'm pretty sure the components are engaged & disengaged in Auto mode. The tcase applies drive to the front when needed.

When in 4WD - all drive components (axle shafts & driveshafts) are applying drive to all wheels.

But.....with anything in life - you can use it however you want and either reap the benefits or the failures when they occur.
Yep and i can also tell you that the fuel consumption goes up considerably when you leave it in auto. I found that out the hard way when I had it in auto after the snow we got this past weekend. I forgot and left it in auto and when driving around yesterday I noticed my average mileage had dropped about 2 MPG, since before the snow. That freaked me out and I immediately checked the 4WD knob to see that i had left it in auto. I changed it back to 2WD and my mileage started creeping back up again. I pretty much drive to the same places and the same pace, so the driving conditions were all the same except for the auto 4WD was on.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic

Last edited by BeastStarr68; 01-12-2017 at 09:28 AM.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:11 PM

Whatever drivetrain you leave your truck in, I wish there was a dash light indicator that showed if you were in 4WD... The dial is in a crappy place and hard to see. Heck the they have a light for everything else... perhaps the ran out of space...
dmaxjr likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE Duramax All Terrain Quicksilver Long Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode