Blown Turbo Boot - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GEE-BEE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Blown Turbo Boot

Hey guys, been lurking on here for almost a year since I took delivery of my '16 Canyon Duramax. Figured I would go ahead and sign up to help share my experiences and issues. Left work today and noticed a high pitched whine similar to a boost and/or exhaust leak. Truck ran fine this morning on the way to work. But as soon as I left work I heard the sound, temps were also 10 degrees F outside. Seemed to be noticable more over 10lbs of boost. When I got home I had my dad come down and brake torque it so I could maybe see where it was coming from. Sound was generating around the turbo itself. I was hoping it wasnt the turbo so I pulled the hot side intercooler tube completely off and inspected the boots and low and behold the boot at the turbo is split right where the one of the two reinforcement rings goes around the boot, but the reinforcement ring is long gone and no where to be found. So, looks like its a good time to upgrade to the AFE tubes. I dont think I'm gonna even attempt to get a warrantied one from the dealer cause of the failures Ive been hearing. Unless they have had a design change.

"Napalm" 2003 Duramax, 2wd, Dark Spiral grey met, twin turbos, too much to list

2016 GMC Canyon SLT, Duramax, 4x4, Crew Cab, Cyber Grey metallic. 231rwhp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:35 PM

Garage
Upgraded boots are always a good idea. I would still take the OEM one until you get the aftermarket ones. How many miles on the OE ones?. I inspected mine not long ago 13,000 kms , when i cleaned my intake and boots/tubes , they were still in good shape, but could be a little thicker.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 PM

Garage
I am going to have to check mine. Super cold today and I got a new sound. Directly related to turbo speed. Sounds almost digital in sound.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

19,700mi is currently on the truck. I couldn't believe that the ring was completely gone off of it. But you wouldn't believe how much those factory boots swell up under boost. I've never seen anything like it. They definitely need to be heavier.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:20 AM

Mine blew at 5k miles~ got it replaced thru warranty but will want some aftermarket ones eventually.

I'm sure GM is taking note, and hopefully will redesign and make a beefier version.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

I honestly don't even want to try and deal with the dealer. I have a bad feeling that when I tell them what the truck is doing they are going to have it for days and give the wrong diagnosis even if I tell them what I think it is. It's due for another service so I was planning on taking it in next week anyway. The truck is still drive able, just has a tiny squeal when you get into it.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Garage
Did it sound like the videos I posted in this thread: New truck, 300 miles, time to tune

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock, Sports bar, Black 5" assist steps, EGT and Boost Gauge with custom bezel mount
AFE Magnum Intake and Bladerunner Hot/Cold side Kit
Duramaxtune DSP-4 Tuning
AFE Rebel side exit turbo back w/ Black tips

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:14 AM

If you have a boost leak your turbo is going to be working overtime to try to make the boost it's supposed to, I'd drive it as little as possible until you can get it fixed

2016 CCSB Duramax

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpositraction View Post
Did it sound like the videos I posted in this thread: New truck, 300 miles, time to tune
Yep, that's it. Check the boot on the turbo. Look and see if you have one or two reinforcement rings around the boot. You are supposed to have two. The leak is very small (at least mine is). It doesn't take much of a leak to produce that sound.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebaddz View Post
If you have a boost leak your turbo is going to be working overtime to try to make the boost it's supposed to, I'd drive it as little as possible until you can get it fixed
For one, I don't plan on driving it very much. And for two, it doesn't take much of a boost leak to produce a sound like that. Release air out of a balloon and tell me the sound it makes. That turbo won't know any difference, now if the boot was ripped completely in two, yea bad idea to drive it. Mine hardly makes any noise below 12-15lbs of boost. Which is considered to me normal driving. It will hold until I get it in for the oil change next week.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:47 PM

Check this site out for just the boots. Very reasonable prices and cool colors too...

Intercooler Pipe Fabrication
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Check this site out for just the boots. Very reasonable prices and cool colors too...

Intercooler Pipe Fabrication
Thanks for sharing!

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:24 PM

I decided not to mfg the complete silicone assys and a larger intercooler for this application

its best to have the sensors on the outlet and intake intercooler neck..

This way, you can mfg the tubing out of two one piece silicone assys for 165.00 pair est.

note: the oem is cheap china crap

I mfg aircraft intake assys and ducting all day long..
Vinolush likes this.

Last edited by GregDAP; 03-26-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Removed advertising
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so here is an update. So I removed the boots again and I don't believe that is the issue. What looked like a crack was just a scar on the outside of the boot. So I took the truck into the dealer yesterday for its service and for them to look at the issue. They noticed the noise. They had a new truck on the lot with 15mi on it and they said the noise on my truck was worse but even the new truck had somewhat of a noise. GM is saying that some noise is normal. I told them that normal was the way is was before the noise, not now. They agreed but said they can't do anything about it until there is a failure or a recall/update to the problem. GM knows about the problem and is working on a solution is what the service guys told me. I feel pretty confident about the dealers diesel mechanic. So, I guess we will have to deal with the noise until something else comes up. I'm not happy, but it is what it is. I did price a '17 while I was there. Prob gonna go ahead and get one on order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode