Guide vane position and turbo noise questions - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacklerjason View Post
It does sound like something in the CHRA... That's a whining sound and not a spooling sound... Could be bearing, wheel touching the housing because the bearing went... Just speculating right now, need more details

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
This has been my concern, however it doesn't change pitch with load, just frequency and volume. And I could be paying way too much attention now but I could swear it is getting a little louder.

With your tuning experience, could this be caused by a tune? I am not a bit WOT guy and probably have only done a few WOT pulls on the most aggressive tune a few times, and that was because they told me to do that to help the transmission learn again.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock
Duramaxtune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpositraction View Post
I noticed it around 300 miles. Right after I installed the tune, probably within 40 miles, but I think that is coincidence to be honest. I have nothing else done to the truck.
I think something was fucked up in your newest tune but I won't be able to open it and look, these tuners lock their tunes... Flash your old tune back and see if the problem is gone

post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
What about while you drive around? Is it pegged at 100% all day? I need that recording I requested in my post to help further

I didn't drive, was trying to get the datalog to work. I did blip the throttle some and it did move.

I understand you need the datalog, and I will get it. I really appreciate you taking the time to help!
hacklerjason likes this.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock
Duramaxtune
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I think something was fucked up in your newest tune but I won't be able to open it and look, these tuners lock their tunes... Flash your old tune back and see if the problem is gone

That is the plan, just waiting on my stock file :(
hacklerjason likes this.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock
Duramaxtune
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
That is the plan, just waiting on my stock file :(
That's why I don't do canned tunes... You become locked out of the ECM. Some guys are comfortable with other guys but I personally cannot have my ECM locked out from me.

post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
That's why I don't do canned tunes... You become locked out of the ECM. Some guys are comfortable with other guys but I personally cannot have my ECM locked out from me.

I wish I had the capability and know how to tune my own stuff. I tried my hand at tuning a little back when I had a 92 fox body, I enjoyed it, but was probably more dangerous than good :)

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock
Duramaxtune
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I wish I had the capability and know how to tune my own stuff. I tried my hand at tuning a little back when I had a 92 fox body, I enjoyed it, but was probably more dangerous than good :)
You have to learn to read and trust your instruments... On gas you tune by AFR, on diesel you tune by EGT...

post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got everything updated :)

Got my stock files :)

Will return to stock and datalog some on the way home. Thanks again for your help today, I really do appreciate it.
hacklerjason likes this.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock
Duramaxtune
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:28 PM

100% vane position at idle is usually only during warmup and high idle mode with the engine cold. It's not a tuning issue. My truck has been tuned for 17,000mi and hasn't done it till now. Stock tune still makes noise. I truly believe it's either a leak around the turbo compressor and or exhaust housing, exhaust leak at the turbo and manifold or a exhaust leak between manifold and head. I don't believe it is a wheel to housing contact issue because my turbo had zero play. If it wasn't for warranty and the fact that I may be ordering a '17 I would tear into it and take the turbo off to see what I can find. Mine starts whining at about 6-8lbs of boost and continues to get louder and really whines at 25psi.

Last edited by Diesel Dan; 01-11-2017 at 08:39 PM.
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:54 PM

Mrpositraction, by chance did you go by the same name on the EcoBoost forums, and perhaps SouthernSpeed, inc.?

HackerJason has you steering in the right way. I have tons of experience using the SCT software, and like 1/2% on AutoCal.... my Silverado SS was the last to use an AutoCAL. I know these turbos are small and wouldn't take much to overspeed them.
hacklerjason likes this.
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:

Another thing I notice, on cold start up, I see signs of a very small leak were the "guide vane control arm" goes into the exhaust side, can anyone confirm if this is normal? Water drips out when it first starts up (condensation), also, you can see some small "exhaust marks, black" on the turbo housing.
Now this may be something here, if whatever seals the exhaust housing where actuator shaft goes into the exhaust housing is bad then we could be losing drive pressure out around that shaft. When I get my truck back tomorrow I will look at it and see if mine has soot around that area.
16_MidnightRider likes this.
post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16_MidnightRider View Post
Mrpositraction, by chance did you go by the same name on the EcoBoost forums, and perhaps SouthernSpeed, inc.?

HackerJason has you steering in the right way. I have tons of experience using the SCT software, and like 1/2% on AutoCal.... my Silverado SS was the last to use an AutoCAL. I know these turbos are small and wouldn't take much to overspeed them.
I use this screen name everywhere.

I am stopping by Duramax tuner tomorrow as I have a meeting in Chicago and they are sort of on the way. I am stopping because in trying to flash it back to stock I can't get the TCM to return to stock (can't flash it to anything). Keep getting error code $0537 which says its locked. I was on the phone with them tonight and they tried several things, but to no avail.

While I am there I am going to see if I can talk them into checking to see if I do have a leak. They have a plug and air valve/regulator they use to check.

I am not sure when I am going to have time to drop it off at the dealer, likely next week if they can give me a vehicle. Wife is out of town and I will be solo parenting.

Hopefully I will learn some things tomorrow.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock
Duramaxtune
post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:54 PM

Good deal, hopefully they'll get you squared away. I'd try to put some mikes on it prior to taking it to the dealership.

I recognized the name, I was 13'TwinSrew when I had the Eco. I ran enough tunes through it to melt the ECM lol.
post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
LOL, yeah I think I wore the OBDII connector out on my ecoboosts :)

Nice to see an old face :)
16_MidnightRider likes this.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock
Duramaxtune
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan View Post
100% vane position at idle is usually only during warmup and high idle mode with the engine cold. It's not a tuning issue. My truck has been tuned for 17,000mi and hasn't done it till now. Stock tune still makes noise. I truly believe it's either a leak around the turbo compressor and or exhaust housing, exhaust leak at the turbo and manifold or a exhaust leak between manifold and head. I don't believe it is a wheel to housing contact issue because my turbo had zero play. If it wasn't for warranty and the fact that I may be ordering a '17 I would tear into it and take the turbo off to see what I can find. Mine starts whining at about 6-8lbs of boost and continues to get louder and really whines at 25psi.
It's in the tune bro did you read the whole thread or just the OP?

Duramax_canyon likes this.

Last edited by hacklerjason; 01-12-2017 at 12:03 AM.
post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
It's in the tune bro did you read the whole thread or just the OP?

. Yes "BRO" I did read the whole thread did you?? . He said it started making the noise after 40mi of driving after the tune was installed Tuning doesn't just change sporadically in 40mi, it would have been an instant difference. I believe it is just coincidental that the issue came after the tune was installed. His has 500mi, mine had 19k mi (tuned for 17k mi prior to the issue) and the STOCK brand new truck at the dealer that they compared the sound to on mine has 15mi on it and they are all making the same sound.

Last edited by Diesel Dan; 01-12-2017 at 05:57 AM.
post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
. Yes "BRO" I did read the whole thread did you?? . He said it started making the noise after 40mi of driving after the tune was installed Tuning doesn't just change sporadically in 40mi, it would have been an instant difference. I believe it is just coincidental that the issue came after the tune was installed. His has 500mi, mine had 19k mi (tuned for 17k mi prior to the issue) and the STOCK brand new truck at the dealer that they compared the sound to on mine has 15mi on it and they are all making the same sound.
Ok diesel Dan you the man!

post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Stopped at duramax tuning today. They were very helpful. Did a boost test and no leaks. Was unable to get thr transmission controller back to stock, but they are working with EFI Live on yhr fix. Stopped by the dealer on the way home and a diesel tech take it for a ride. Says it's down on power and doesn't sound right. Appointment made for Monday.

Sucks that it isn't a leak and I have to drop it off at the dealer next week. Hopefully the process is painless and they find what's wrong right away
hacklerjason likes this.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock
Duramaxtune

Last edited by mrpositraction; 01-12-2017 at 07:46 PM.
post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:39 PM

Here is a vid of mine for comparison. https://youtu.be/wC02UU79pPI
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Stopped at duramax tuning today. They were very helpful. Sidebar a boost test and no leaks. Stopped by the dealer in the way home and a diesel tech took it for a ride. Says it's down on power and doesn't sound right. Appointment made for Monday.
Sounds like we are on the right track now. Mine sent me on my way. Said GM is aware of the problem but no solution yet. May be time for a new turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode