• 1 Post By lqdchkn
  • 1 Post By Hckyplayer8
  • 1 Post By lqdchkn
  • 1 Post By Canyon16Dmax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
DIC - Waiting for Update Media Message

Does anybody in the Forum have the following display in the DIC? The trouble starts when I turn on the truck, the screen was black and after awhile, this message came up. It does not go away even after I stop the truck. The fan keeps on running for about 2 minutes, then the screen goes dark. All this time, I do not have any control of the AC, Navigation etc., I will take it in for a check up on Monday. The truck has 18000 miles on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canyon DIC - Waiting for Update Media.jpg (112.3 KB, 149 views)

'16 Canyon Duramax
SLT 4x4 CC SB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:59 PM

Wow, weird. Almost looks as if it's waiting for some code, meaning a write phase to the EPROM in the ECU/ECM.
Be interesting to see what it turns out to be...keep us updated!

2017 Canyon SLT. Crew cab, 2.8L Duramax, 4WD, Silver/Cocoa.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:14 PM

Yep totally seen that before. This is what happens when it's getting flashed for an update. I remember similar screens from installing the Android Auto update myself, which while technically I was able to fully complete, still wasn't right because it needs a dealer special tool to do a calibration afterwards.

You HAVE to go back to the dealer to get this resolved.

Trust me, no one can fix this for you without a trip to the dealer unless you know someone with all the dealer's equipment that will do it for you.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 01-22-2017 at 07:20 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:08 PM

Never saw this message, but a while back there was a TSB for an update. Perhaps the system is saying "get it done?"
Toughsox likes this.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
Never saw this message, but a while back there was a TSB for an update. Perhaps the system is saying "get it done?"
Nope that will never come up unless a formatted upgrade boot drive was inserted for the truck to be updated. It is a system update boot sequence and now it's looking for the boot USB drive. I'm thinking at some point that was attempted and it never fully loaded the installer before someone tried to quit and the system finally finished processing.

Think of it kinda like when you run windows update and when the computer shuts down it counts up to 30% restarts, finishes installing, counting from 30 to 100%. Well if you ever interrupted that any of that process but just powering off your computer, eventually at some other shutdown or restart it will pick up where it left off and continue.

PS. It never ceases to amaze me that when I can give someone a definitive answer on something you always post some alternate hypothetical possibility???? Why do you always do that? Do you just like me?

Did the screenshots of me doing the damn install I posted not convince you for some reason?

Why would you suggest some dumb crap like that and continue to drive speculation for the poor guy?
macr88 likes this.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 01-22-2017 at 09:45 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:06 PM

Garage
Mine had that same message, had to have a new human machine interface module. Thank goodness under warranty.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseysdad View Post
Mine had that same message, had to have a new human machine interface module. Thank goodness under warranty.
On mine when I got the "calibrate device" it was sooooo scared I bricked the HMI. My heart sank and I was dreading having to buy a new one. Fortunately the tech I know is awesome and was able to get it back by finishing the steps I couldn't do without the dealer software.

Since the OP's pic looks like it requesting the media to begin an update. Hopefully the dealer can just input an update USB drive and let it finish off and everything will turn out ok. *fingers crossed*
hacklerjason likes this.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 01-22-2017 at 10:45 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Yep totally seen that before. This is what happens when it's getting flashed for an update. I remember similar screens from installing the Android Auto update myself, which while technically I was able to fully complete, still wasn't right because it needs a dealer special tool to do a calibration afterwards.

You HAVE to go back to the dealer to get this resolved.

Trust me, no one can fix this for you without a trip to the dealer unless you know someone with all the dealer's equipment that will do it for you.

This looks like an absolute answer. Wonder what happened to it? Looks like it lost its memory?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hckyplayer8 View Post
This looks like an absolute answer. Wonder what happened to it? Looks like it lost its memory?
More info than anyone prolly cares about but...

It was my bad for trying to do the update myself without GMs tools.

I found and read through the dealers instructions and thought it all sounded really simple, like a 15-20 minute job and couldn't understand why dealers were making people wait 2-4 hours for the Android Auto update.

So I got my hands on an update drive and tried it myself, hoping I would be able to share it for others that wanted to do it themselves.

Well long story short it's not a fast install and there is that "calibration" that has to happen so other than almost bricking my HMI module I learned that it really cant be done much faster than 2 hours and definitely not do-able without the dealer anyway. lol
Hckyplayer8 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
More info than anyone prolly cares about but...

It was my bad for trying to do the update myself without GMs tools.

I found and read through the dealers instructions and thought it all sounded really simple, like a 15-20 minute job and couldn't understand why dealers were making people wait 2-4 hours for the Android Auto update.

So I got my hands on an update drive and tried it myself, hoping I would be able to share it for others that wanted to do it themselves.

Well long story short it's not a fast install and there is that "calibration" that has to happen so other than almost bricking my HMI module I learned that it really cant be done much faster than 2 hours and definitely not do-able without the dealer anyway. lol

I more meant I wonder what happened to the OP. If this started after they were messing with it you would think that info would be given.

Appreciate the info though.
lqdchkn likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon16Dmax View Post
Does anybody in the Forum have the following display in the DIC?

Onstar pushed out an update during the "early morning hours" of the 22nd. Looks like your update glitched. As others have mentioned, it will require a trip to the dealer. Gotta love remote updates that are out of your control.

2015 Colorado Ext. Cab Z71 4X4 (4/15 build date):
Bose, nav., sliding rear window, factory spray-in bed liner, fender guards, Rallyarmor UR mudflaps, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, door sill protectors, BNR tune.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's my update on the DIC message. Well, I took the truck in this afternoon. They called me back saying that a HMI module has to be replaced and need to keep the truck overnight or even maybe have to wait until Wednesday. They have to get the module from GM. Other than that, the service advisor did not elaborate any more, he's kind of an a-hole with an attitude of only he knows everything. I will try to talk to the mechanic who works on my truck to find out more on what was going on.

'16 Canyon Duramax
SLT 4x4 CC SB
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:19 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sabbotage Send a message via MSN to sabbotage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
Onstar pushed out an update during the "early morning hours" of the 22nd. Looks like your update glitched. As others have mentioned, it will require a trip to the dealer. Gotta love remote updates that are out of your control.
Wait, so they actually push out remote updates? I thought updates were only applied at the dealer.

2016 GMC Canyon All-Terrain Duramax
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon16Dmax View Post
Here's my update on the DIC message. Well, I took the truck in this afternoon. They called me back saying that a HMI module has to be replaced and need to keep the truck overnight or even maybe have to wait until Wednesday. They have to get the module from GM. Other than that, the service advisor did not elaborate any more, he's kind of an a-hole with an attitude of only he knows everything. I will try to talk to the mechanic who works on my truck to find out more on what was going on.
So why are they keeping your truck? It's not like you need this to be safe to drive?

Personally Im not a fan of other people keeping my vehicles because Ive found they just don't treat them the same way you would.

Get your truck back and go back when they have the parts
macr88 likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
So why are they keeping your truck? It's not like you need this to be safe to drive?

Personally Im not a fan of other people keeping my vehicles because Ive found they just don't treat them the same way you would.

Get your truck back and go back when they have the parts
They claimed to have the thing dismantled and thinking the HMI module would come in and reinstall the new one to save some work. But I just got a call from the dealer saying that the HMI module is on "National Short Supply" and don't really know when the dealer will get one. So they reassemble my truck and I'll drive it without a good DIC display. Like you say, it is safe to drive but just a little inconvenience for now.
lqdchkn likes this.

'16 Canyon Duramax
SLT 4x4 CC SB
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:52 PM

My 2016 is stuck on the same screen then blacks out. It went out 4 hours away from home on our return trip from San Diego. Just when everyone fell asleep and I needed tunes. 🙄

Pulling the stereo HMI fuse obviously didn't help. Read up on the issue on the Silverado forums and it's quite common for them. Essentially it's a failed HMI module and it needs to be replaced. If I'm lucky it will just need to have the update installed by the dealer but I'm doubtful. I'll take it I tomorrow to have them diagnose.

2016 Canyon SLE CC LB All-Terrain 3.6L - RC 2" Kit | Goodyear Duratrac P265/70/17
2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode