Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

those of you with aftermarket INTAKES.

16K views 61 replies 24 participants last post by  16_MidnightRider 
#1 ·
so I'm thinking about jumping onboard with and intake and was curious if anyone had any problems with anyone intake manufacture or type, and heres the best part, whats the best one?, which one would you buy if you had the chance to do it over again?

#2 ·
Don't waste your money. They do nothing for your truck and work no better than the factory system, in some cases worse actually because they let more dirt in. The best thing you can do is to change the paper filter regularly. Invest in a good tune instead.

Reactions: RedEye and doug5336
#4 ·
I have the AFE Magnum GT intake, I like it, sounds good. I never measured any gains. I do periodically get a P2A00 code, but I also have hot and cold side pipes with a tune. I've seen this code come from others with no modifications.

It is expensive for what it is, but looks bad ass and sounds nice.

Have to define why you are buying, if to turn the world backwards with performance gains it ain't happening, the stock appears to be a pretty good design. If for looks and sounds, you will be happy.

#5 ·
I wanted the aFe intake but they wouldn't sell it to me here in San Diego, so I ended up with the Volant. I haven't installed it yet, still waiting for my Overkill Motorsports Throttle Body to install at the same time. I'll have BNR send me another tune once that's installed.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#6 ·
yea imp really just interested in the sound honestly. i don't really feel like messing around with a tune just do to the fact i want my warranty and not looking to have it thrown out. i did see some in for on that spade tuner saying that if you take it off they can't see that the truck had a tune on it, but i dunno. IF or WHEN i did decide to get a tune I'm prolly looking at duramax tuner just due to the fact that they seem to have been in the game for a while and have a pretty decent reputation. mind you with all the tuners on here I'm sure they'll be ppl saying that have a friend thats bad ass, or duramax tuners are trash cause this and that, but they are a big company

#7 ·
Your warranty won't be thrown out. Most tunes on the market are easily removable for when you have to take it in to the dealer. Regardless, it'd be pretty difficult to find anyway unless they actually hooked up to your ECM. Even if they did find out, they would have to prove that the repair in question was a direct result of the tune, and the chances of that are extremely slim.

#17 ·
Ummmm, people are looking way too much into this. How many people have done a tune and intake or exhaust on their trucks on this very forum and had major warranty issues? One maybe two if that? I've modded my last three NEW vehicles with the same bolt on mods and have never once had an issue, either with the mod or the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#19 ·
I've had a lot of work done, including a new motor, turbo and fuel system on my F150, was tuned and they never said anything. had my turbo replace on this truck already and it was tuned, again nothing (and neither failure I cite was tune related), had my rear end cover leak in my 6" lifted with traction bars and anot aftermarket Roush blower and it was covered under warranty.

Be a good person to the people working on your truck and you get honest service, be a dick and get treated like one.

#20 ·
I have no experience with warranty issues and intake mods and I'm by no means an expert, but i can speak from experience.

But, almost every car I've owned (6) had some form of intake modification. from k&n to eBay kits (none of which i installed) all of them had some sort of issue, either a MAF code or other code. Loss of power at certain RPM, failed smog tests (although smog legal) etc etc, just one headache after another. regardless of how reputable or expensive the intake.

I had a bmw with a 500 after market intake. ended up throwing a slew of codes that never seemed to go away even after the stock system was put back on. So in my experience I would never do it/recommend it. Stock engine setups seem to always be the most efficient.

my brother bought an aftermarket tuner (800$) and it ruined his transmission almost immediately (even after the tuner was removed) the tuner had fried his ECU.

hope this helps.

#21 ·
Would it be easier to just throw this thread away and start fresh?

If the OP is still interested, love my CAI, if you do get one, get a closed box.
Not all scenarios are the same, and not all cars/trucks have the bottlenecks on the intake side, so they all respond differently.
Anyone who throws out a blanket "Those dont work" are right sometimes. But not always.

Mine does run better, but I am running at 5200 - 6600ft above sea level daily, so YES, the CAI is better than stock no question.
The tune I got is able to use more O2 as well, so the CAI and tune combo was a good balance.
I also get my truck dirty in the summer and fall, so cleaning it every 3-6months keeps it clean, keeps cost down, and keeps my truck from trying to breath through choked paper. So YES, the CAI is better than stock.
There are CAI manufacturers that dont use Oil (and in many cases paper) and even they responded better than stock.

You have to look at your scenario. Determine why you want it, if its more throaty sound, yup it will work. Massive hp gains, nope, massive mpg gains, nope, but better throttle response, no question, at least for me.

#27 · (Edited)
I'm not inclined to change out the actual intake tubes, but the stock rubber boots and clamps are pretty flimsy. These silicone jobs are not that expensive and could potentially add some blingy accents. They are probably available in hot pink if that is your thing - hehe...

Silicone Boot

Just match up the stock boots to theirs and have at it. Seems like a pretty easy and relatively inexpensive mod.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
The silicone intakes products are junk , they will catch on fire as the polymers are not mil-spec and cheap grade of silicone .

We use nomex cloth reinforcement 3/5 layers per assy..

I mfg over 15k vw /porsche hoses and ducts last year ( private label of course )''

85% of my work is aircraft seals and ducts for turbos, we include lined breeze aerospace clamps on every hose or duct that is shipped, others don't

We have a cnc tube bender for up to 3/4 i.d. 304 s/s tubing, we test all assys with our water test bench up to 14k psi

We die cut silicone seal with fiberglass for all aircraft valve covers etc , were the only mfg that has fiberglass in the silicone in this application

Attachments

#32 · (Edited)
#33 ·
Ok... seeing as how we aren't allowed to ask a price, may we ask if you are going to build a unit.... ?

#34 ·
Just asking lilbigtruck, that a stock exhaust? it seems smaller then mine, idk maybe cuz the lift or something.
I was looking into Intakes also, gotta buy stuff in pieces to sneak it by the wife

#35 ·
yea man STOCK EXHAUST, nothing dun but the lift tires and wheels. but i went ahead and ordered the intake should be here on mon. i went with the open element not the enclosed one i just figured it would be louder. the person i talked to about it said he took his off cause it was too loud. and thats exactually what i want lol....... my truck is so quiet and my car before this one was a mustang gt with mods so i guess the ricer in me wants noise. I'm not really worried about the exhaust right now due to the way i feel about having issues at the dealer. keep me in mind send me a PM and ill let you know what i think about it

#39 ·
yea i think that was the big problem here. no one really had a sound clip anywhere. i looked on youtube and while i really only found one video of a truck running and revving up that was about 45 sec long, that was about it. one big thing that also troubled me was the fact that AFE as a company put out a install video for the intake, but no video of it running and no video of it driving WTF. to me thats selling points right there so i dunno. like i keep saying I'm pretty sure ill get maybe a lil better throttle response, and from what I've herd a lot of sound, but as far as POWER....prolly not, and once again thats ok, I'm only really looking for some sound cause my truck is so damn quiet. ill do my best and try to get those of you interested a video out there thats actually good

#40 ·
Diesel doesn't need to run stoich. Boost is computer controlled not air flow limited.

Given the above I don't see how any intake could really make more power, unfortunately.

#41 ·
well i got home and had a box on the front door step. so i went ahead and installed it. install is pretty smooth not any issues, but with the product there is a lil i have to say.

first off the fit is pretty good, the are box heat shield is metal and there is a giant gap at the bottom of the box where the seal is. and there is also a big gap where it looks like it should sit flush with the wheel well.

sec is the fact that the intercooler tube does hit the metal housing and I'm gonna have to figure out some fix in order to avoid a vibrating issue. I'm thinking a radiator hose cut in two and fitted over the tube in that are.

Third and most important (to me) the sound. the sound is pretty awesome it whistles ALOT.... actually pretty loud. its got a really unique sound to it but I'm gonna go ahead and say AWESOME.

POINT here is that i don't think you should have to modify or mess with something someone else has made and you paid good money for, to not really be what they said it was. due to fit and so on.

is it faster..... NO
does it make more power....... NO
throttle response any better......a little, it does seem to be able to spool faster and easier.
would i buy again....... well first off I'm gonna call AFE and discuss the fitment issues and see what they have to say but yes i would deff get A INTAKE cause the sound is great...

#44 ·
Second this statement

Reactions: 16_MidnightRider
#49 ·
Have to agree w/ DreamNofR1

#52 ·
i didn't forget, i will say that i did make a video from inside the truck and what i found was the sound does not transfer very well to the video, so honestly it was somewhat of a let down to know what it sounds like in person and to hear it on the video no where near the volume to the in person sound.. sec i need to figure out a way to video and get the sound without tooo much wind noise. but i will get it don't worry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.