Ultimate delete DISCUSSION (not argument) - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 440Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
KMW

Ok, I was just looking at Motor Ops site and wondered if they were doing delete tunes wroth Duramax Tuners' tunes. I noticed the tune descriptions they had were verbatim from Duramax Tuners.

So you are using the Spade device? Which is an EFI Live Autocal unit, right?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMW View Post
Ok, I was just looking at Motor Ops site and wondered if they were doing delete tunes wroth Duramax Tuners' tunes. I noticed the tune descriptions they had were verbatim from Duramax Tuners.

Yes and I have the dsp4 switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #23 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:56 PM

Garage
Ultimate delete DISCUSSION (not argument)

Quote:

Yes I have the DT spade and the dsp4 switch. I do like their tunes and the choice to change. I rarely use anything but the #3 though. Yes it is a efi live autocal product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KMW likes this.

post #24 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:07 PM

Garage
Here's a question/thought. In order to "save" the warranty if you want to do a delete without having to do a program thru the ecm. Has anyone ever looked into tricking the pressure sensors before and after the dpf with a simulator. So the truck thinks it's still there and is clean but in reality it is removed. Some thing similar to this. I have a 99 Z28 with the cats removed but in order for that to work I put in O2 sims for the rear ones.
post #25 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:21 PM

And then do what with the def and diesel injectors?
lqdchkn likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE 4x4 cyber gray duramax
post #26 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
KMW

That could possibly work for the DEF, maybe? If you were able to feed the ECM the right information so it would just not use amy DEF. I'm not sure if the DEF is a constant thing, or if it only activates under certain conditions.

The DPF would not work this way though. You very likely could come up with something to plug into the harness to simulate the sensors and fool the ECM into thinking the filter was always clean, so it would not do a regen. However, if you leave the DPF in, it would then just plug up with soot over time. If you're not running regens, then you must remove the DPF.

post #27 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyhitter81 View Post
Here's a question/thought. In order to "save" the warranty if you want to do a delete without having to do a program thru the ecm. Has anyone ever looked into tricking the pressure sensors before and after the dpf with a simulator. So the truck thinks it's still there and is clean but in reality it is removed. Some thing similar to this. I have a 99 Z28 with the cats removed but in order for that to work I put in O2 sims for the rear ones.
What would be the point in that? If it's gone it's gone. What difference does it make to fool the ecu it's not like you have a place in your new exhaust for all the sensors anyway?

Also it cant be "fooled" in order not to fire the injector needs to be disconnected. Even if the DPF pressure sensor is plugged in to an exhaust without a DPF it wont ever register a restriction but a regen will still be triggered based on mileage and/or estimated fuel consumption so as long as the injector is connect it will try to fire it to start a burn and then that'd be all bad. And since you have to disconnect it to stop it from firing you'll then get a check engine light, which is why you need to use the delete tune to stop that error from showing.
KMW likes this.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 03-12-2017 at 10:46 PM.
post #28 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:15 AM

Here I am... Subbed... Lemme catch a few z's and I'll get caught up

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #29 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyhitter81 View Post
Can't be done

Duramax_canyon likes this.
post #30 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:04 AM

Curious about thinking beyond the near term results and improvements to the point in time when selling or trading for a newer truck is desirable. Trucks do not last forever and we all like to have newer models with feature improvements. Will the modifications decrease resale value? Will the sale be difficult when needing to disclose condition?

2015 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4, Onyx Black, Fold-a-Cover
post #31 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
Curious about thinking beyond the near term results and improvements to the point in time when selling or trading for a newer truck is desirable. Trucks do not last forever and we all like to have newer models with feature improvements. Will the modifications decrease resale value? Will the sale be difficult when needing to disclose condition?
I don't think anyone can answer that for you man. It's totally going to depend on who your selling it to. I can prolly guarantee you though, that any dealer wont touch it.
njacobsen and hacklerjason like this.
post #32 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:41 AM

Garage
Quote:

In my experience mods done to a vehicle for "trade in" will always net you negative. I have only had one experience with an F150 where I used Roush parts (interior and blower), a quality lift and tires/wheels that it netted me any good.....however, this was a high volume dealer and I am sure they used the truck to bring people in. Almost everytime other than that one they request the truck be returned to stock.

Selling it outright on the other hand you just have to find the "guy/girl" to buy. My last big build was my 2013 F150 FX4, had over $12,000 invested in it. Dealer offered me $36,000 trade in (standards trade in value) and I sold it for $46,000 no questions asked to a guy. Had full exhaust (turbo back), intake, hot/cold side piping, 6" BDS Lift, 35" tires, 20" wheels, fender flares and other exterior mods.

You will NEVER financially justify any modifications to a newer vehicle, unless you have an in with a dealer that is selling new modified vehicles.

Back on topic, I think this topic is great! So close to pulling the trigger and will be nice to hear (in one place) everyone's experience.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock, Sports bar, Black 5" assist steps, EGT and Boost Gauge with custom bezel mount (on order)
AFE Magnum Intake and Bladerunner Hot/Cold side Kit
Duramaxtune DSP-4 Tuning (full delete on order)
AFE Rebel side exit turbo back w/ Black tips (on order)

post #33 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
They won't take it in on trade... Once the warranty is gone you should disclose that

njacobsen likes this.
post #34 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Well, it's sounding like this whole process is actually fairly easy. Seems the hardest part would be just the tuning.

1. Unplug EGR

2. Unplug all sensors/injectors post downpipe, tie up or remove per preference

3. Replace exhaust from downpipe back

4. Deactivate EGR, DEF, and DPF in ECU

If one bought a replacement ECU, and didn't cut out sensors and injectors, it could all be returned to stock with no signs it was ever done, correct?

Im learning as well and thanks for this thread. Question concerning list above, I saw previous you mentioned to have had a recent regen prior to deleting but shouldn't #1 above be running the delete tune before doing anything else? This may be common knowledge for all but Im just trying to clarify for myself.
mexica likes this.

2016 Duramax SLE - May 2016
post #35 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufelhundin View Post
Im learning as well and thanks for this thread. Question concerning list above, I saw previous you mentioned to have had a recent regen prior to deleting but shouldn't #1 above be running the delete tune before doing anything else? This may be common knowledge for all but Im just trying to clarify for myself.
Correct... The tune needs to be onboard before you do any deleting... If you set off the tamper system you still have to reinstall everything to clear it

post #36 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:17 PM

My thoughts on value though.. on the private market, a properly running deleted truck would yield higher return on investment. At least in Hawaii where we don't have smog, the private market is wide open. Main thing is to properly disclose that there is no warranty

lqdchkn likes this.
post #37 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:33 PM

Garage
Can we set up the forum so every time someone mentions warranty it inserts a pic of a beautiful women (or hansom man if that is your thing)........I would sigh less then when I read this forum :)

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock, Sports bar, Black 5" assist steps, EGT and Boost Gauge with custom bezel mount (on order)

post #38 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:35 PM

You can unsubscribe if you want... The question was asked in what I though to have been compliant to the OP request regarding this thread not being an argument thread lol... So I answered..

post #39 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
I know this is talked about in several other threads from various angles, but I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated spot for discussion and education about deleting, now that there are a few members here that have done it, and others interested in it.

We all know that the system is required by federal EPA standards. We all know that modifying/altering/removing the system is prohibited under these federal laws. We all know that modifying/altering/removing the system will absolutely void any factory warranty as well. We get it.

Since we all know and understand these facts, it would be great if those who are against this type of modification would refrain from posting the obvious objections here, and leave this thread for those who accept the risks/consequences of this type of undertaking. Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacklerjason View Post
You can unsubscribe if you want... The question was asked in what I though to have been compliant to the OP request regarding this thread not being an argument thread lol... So I answered..

OP Clearly stated the objective, questions regarding warranty should be ignored and not expanded upon. :)

I know you mean well, just between the warranty and GDE tuning I get tired of reading it.
hacklerjason likes this.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel

post #40 of 687 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
KMW

Quote:
This is why I would remove everything in such a way that it could all be bolted back on and plugged in. While I plan to keep it "until the wheels fall off" as they say, I also know life happens and things change. And you never know when testing rules might expand and I'll have no choice. I like to avoid burning bridges whenever possible.

njacobsen and hacklerjason like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode