Picking up duramax today what oil are you guys using - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By lqdchkn
  • 1 Post By yokev
  • 1 Post By Randall Conway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Picking up duramax today what oil are you guys using

What oil are you guys running on the 2.8 diesel . is anyone using ams oil Euro car or castrol slx c3

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:44 AM

Look for Dexos2 oil. You may have to order it online.

Side comment, seems to me the oil spec is a lot more about the emissions system than actually lubricating the engine these days. If not for emissions, good old Rotella T6 would be more than just fine.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Yea t6 is good use to use it in my wrx seen oil analysis reports on it. Did very well. Lets see how long I last before scrapping emissions system. I seen every manufacture get destroied by emissions. Work for mta

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:16 AM

Garage
I used GM oil as part of the free oil changes to start with. Then Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30, which is available at walmart for 22.47 for 5q jug.

I used Rotella T6 5-40 synthetic in my old 6.6 duramax for 287k miles befire i turned it in, also in wifes & my old Jetta TDI's for about 350k miles combined between the two. Unfortunately the Rotella is NOT dexos2, so use at your own risk if you want GM to warranty any potential engine work.

'16 Colorado CCLB Z71 Duramax Rainforest Green, Zone 2.75" lift/level on 255/75-17 Duratracs
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:57 AM

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 PM

Garage
Coincidentally mine is getting built this week. I'd have no problem using Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 if it shows up at my WalMArt. But seeing as I have a VW Tdi I'll go with Mobil1 ESP 5w-30 because it meets both Dexos2 and VW 507.00.

However, I'm going to ask for a case of Dexos2 when I go to pick the truck up . We'll see how that pans out.

Check out this relative oil comparison tool. Pretty interesting. Dexos2 is under GM/Opel.

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

According to the tool, VW 507.00 would actually be superior to the Dexos2.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post
Coincidentally mine is getting built this week. I'd have no problem using Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 if it shows up at my WalMArt. But seeing as I have a VW Tdi I'll go with Mobil1 ESP 5w-30 because it meets both Dexos2 and VW 507.00.

However, I'm going to ask for a case of Dexos2 when I go to pick the truck up . We'll see how that pans out.

Check out this relative oil comparison tool. Pretty interesting. Dexos2 is under GM/Opel.

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

According to the tool, VW 507.00 would actually be superior to the Dexos2.
Wow, that's pretty impressive to my eyes.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Ahhhh, what's one more 'which oil is best' thread LC..?
So now there's 10,517, as opposed to the previous 10,516
lqdchkn likes this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Humpty
I am almost due for my 2nd of 3 included oil changes at the dealership, so I have not crossed this bridge yet. Interestingly enough, the place I used for supplies for my 3500 just started offering an oil change kit for our rigs. 6 qts of oil and the filter - all AC Delco brand $91.65.

I haven't priced it out yet to see what my other options are.

I have not connection to this supplier other than being a happy customer. I am not sure if this is allowed, but the Source is Merchant Automotive

20000 Oil Change Kit, Filter and Oil, LWN 2.8L, 2016

2016 Canyon SLT Diesel
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:45 PM

Likely the problem with the older non Dexos2 oils is their compatibility with emissions equipment. The engine would be fine running T6 and the like, better off perhaps, but fixing/replacing munged up SCRs and DPFs would be expensive. Probably going to go with the Penzoil Dexos2 if Wally World carries it at a great price, some do. Wally World is a great place to buy oil, I suspect they use the oil as a loss leader to draw customers into the store. Naturally I buy the oil and leave If I have to pay through the nose anyway, probably will go with Total Quartz on Amazon.

Will be doing my own oil changes for sure. The diesel is one easy vehicle to change the oil on.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 03-21-2017 at 03:49 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:12 PM

You can also buy everything you need at idparts.com. They have oil change kits and filter kits for our diesels. I used them all the time when I had a Jetta TDI.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about doing the first at 1000. I do that on all my new cars I usually throw a magnetic drain plug in too

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:27 PM

Garage
First, Dexos is not a brand or type of oil as many will have you believe. It is a specification. You can't "buy a case of Dexos". The OEM brand is AC Delco, which if I'm not mistaken, gets their oil from Mobil.

Second, there is a difference between "Dexos certified" and "meets and exceeds Dexos specs". The first means the company pays fees to GM to be able to display the Dexos logo on their bottles, and the latter doesn't have the logo, but has conducted tests to make sure it meets the Dexos spec. "Meets and exceeds Dexos specs" is 100% good to go as far as warranty goes per the owner's manual.

Does Dexos certified mean it's automatically better? Hardly. Most name brand oils on the market already met the Dexos specs before it ever existed, just now GM gets to make money off of it. It's really nothing more than a tax. Amsoil, for example, doesn't have the logo, but states on the back of their bottles "meets and exceeds Dexos specs". Amsoil is some of the best stuff out there.
tech2262 likes this.

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
BNR Tune via Diablosport i2
Corsa cat-back
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers

Last edited by Randall Conway; 03-21-2017 at 04:29 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:57 PM

Pennzoil advertises made from natural gas synthetic oils; I sent two emails asking if these are true group IV synthetics or group III oils (group III oil can be advertised as synthetic in the USA. Both times I got an auto reply basically saying my question was being looked into. Still no answer.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode