Propel Diesel HPR - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By HN3
  • 1 Post By HN3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
HN3

Propel Diesel HPR

For anyone in CA, what are your thoughts on the Propel Diesel HPR?

From what I can see, it should be safe to use in the these engines. Has anyone had any issues with it so far? Anyone have any great experiences with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to nfmisso
I tried it in our 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD; not long after the fuel pump lost prime. Our mechanic solved it by pressurizing the fuel tank, dumping most of the fuel and filling the tank with regular diesel. The USA sold Liberty CRDs do not have a lift pump at the tank, unlike the European sold Liberty CRDs. Other than that issue, it was fine. I only put in the free five gallons, was about 5 gallons of regular dino diesel in the tank at the time.

EDIT: that was five or six years ago; no issues since. END EDIT

The USA Liberty has provision for lift pump, including wiring harness attachment under the rear seat, and it is a not uncommon upgrade using a pump for the Cummins powered RAM pickup.

I would use it in a vehicle with a lift pump at the tank; but not one that sucks the fuel from the tank to the engine.

Do the twin diesels have a lift pump at the tank?

ZR2 diesel on order. :)

Last edited by nfmisso; 04-06-2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: more info
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:35 PM

Yes we have lift pumps in the tank.

At least that's what I'm assuming that loud a$$ fuel pump sounding noise is that comes from under the tank

But this should give you a definite answer

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (104.9 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by lqdchkn; 04-06-2017 at 11:39 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 12:44 AM

I've seen lower fuel econ and reduced power running it in my 6.6/2.8. The pro i got out of it was its somewhat cheaper per tank and it quiets down the diesel chatter somewhat
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:24 AM

Garage
I'd never even heard of it until this thread.
When an FNG makes his first post about a specific product, on here at least, he's typically promoting said product via bypassing the forum vendor rules.
No reason to think this thread's any different

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
HN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoot3r View Post
I've seen lower fuel econ and reduced power running it in my 6.6/2.8. The pro i got out of it was its somewhat cheaper per tank and it quiets down the diesel chatter somewhat
I've been seeing people reporting lower mileage as well, but a lot have been saying it increases power. I'll have to see how it runs for me. It's only about 10 cents cheaper around here, so I wonder how big of a hit in mileage I'll take from using it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
HN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
When an FNG makes his first post about a specific product, on here at least, he's typically promoting said product via bypassing the forum vendor rules.
Darn, you caught me. I figured if I went out to buy the truck I've been dreaming of for the last 3 years, no one would notice I really was just advertising for a fuel station just down the street from where I am.
tf02 likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
HN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfmisso View Post
I tried it in our 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD; not long after the fuel pump lost prime. Our mechanic solved it by pressurizing the fuel tank, dumping most of the fuel and filling the tank with regular diesel. The USA sold Liberty CRDs do not have a lift pump at the tank, unlike the European sold Liberty CRDs. Other than that issue, it was fine. I only put in the free five gallons, was about 5 gallons of regular dino diesel in the tank at the time.

EDIT: that was five or six years ago; no issues since. END EDIT

The USA Liberty has provision for lift pump, including wiring harness attachment under the rear seat, and it is a not uncommon upgrade using a pump for the Cummins powered RAM pickup.

I would use it in a vehicle with a lift pump at the tank; but not one that sucks the fuel from the tank to the engine.

Do the twin diesels have a lift pump at the tank?

ZR2 diesel on order. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Yes we have lift pumps in the tank.

At least that's what I'm assuming that loud a$$ fuel pump sounding noise is that comes from under the tank

But this should give you a definite answer

I would have never thought about this. Thanks, that makes it seem like it should be no problem for these trucks.
lqdchkn likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to nfmisso
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I thought it was because Propel recently sent out free 5 gallon cards to diesel owners in CA. In San Jose, it is about $0.50 per gallon cheaper right now. I have never purchased the stuff, just used the free 5 gallons offered a few years ago in my CRD.

The same station has E85 attached to the same payment system, which I have used to fill up a rented van before return to the airport :) E85 as about $1- per gallon cheaper than regular unleaded. The van was flexfuel :) Whoever got it next, got awful fuel economy.......
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:49 PM

Garage
Just found this thread. I've posted about Propel elsewhere on the site

Here for instance: So glad I got the diesel.

but will post here too. I started using it in my 2009 VW Jetta TDI Wagen. I put about 50K miles on that car so far and I think most of it was using propel. I never had any issues with reduced mileage. Nothing scientific here but it felt like it gave the VW a bit more pep which was fun. When I was out of town for a few weeks here and there, or had to use something else, the car seemed to idle a bit rougher. No long term effects that I have seen. The only issue I ran into with that car was a pesky VW scandal and now they are going to either 'fix' it, or I have to sell it back to them, but that's off topic. I'm bummed that I didn't get my free 5 gallons. I guess they figured I already use it.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 PM

Have run since new (18k now) in my 2.8. No issues. Cheaper and smells nice.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:55 PM

Garage
First I've heard of it too, but then again I'm on the right coast.

Diesel HPR is a premium fuel engineered to maximize clean diesel engine performance. Diesel HPR meets the ASTM D975 diesel specification (ULSD) for use in all diesel engines. Refined from recycled fats & oils, Diesel HPR outperforms both petroleum diesel and biodiesel in performance, emissions and value. Diesel HPR does not contain biodiesel.

Above description is cryptic to say the least. Recycled fats and oils? Waste veggie oil? Used motor oil? I'd want to know what specifically they are making the stuff from.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
HN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post
First I've heard of it too, but then again I'm on the right coast.

Diesel HPR is a premium fuel engineered to maximize clean diesel engine performance. Diesel HPR meets the ASTM D975 diesel specification (ULSD) for use in all diesel engines. Refined from recycled fats & oils, Diesel HPR outperforms both petroleum diesel and biodiesel in performance, emissions and value. Diesel HPR does not contain biodiesel.

Above description is cryptic to say the least. Recycled fats and oils? Waste veggie oil? Used motor oil? I'd want to know what specifically they are making the stuff from.

I remember reading something more specific somewhere on their site, but I can't find it. From what I have read, I think the key difference is the way it's produced as opposed to Biodiesel like B20. I remember that the material used also includes oil from things like algae. This article (Biomass Diesel: Rising Star of the Renewable Fuel Standard | Bioenergy Connection) was an interesting read, where this HPR stuff would be the renewable diesel. It isn't specific to this brand, but I believe it's the same thing.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfaner View Post
Have run since new (18k now) in my 2.8. No issues. Cheaper and smells nice.
Oh forgot that. No smell, and it doesn't foam anywhere near as much as regular diesel, in fact it hardly foams at all.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode