That Jerry Brown! - Page 4 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I'm sorry?
Where I live(Orange County), my property tax increases sometimes yearly. Magically the county feels your property is worth more than anyone will pay for it, and it increases in value more rapidly that the housing market.
Every tried to get 'em to re-asses? What a fucking joke.
Plus, there's different tax rates everywhere. 1.0, 1.1, heck. Norco is 1.7.
There's no cap on ANY taxes here
Yep, the only "cap" is it can't go up more than 2% A YEAR I think it is. But when you buy it gets set to your paying price. Lucky for me I'm assessed low so I'm ok for now.

I think it's prop 13

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Yep, the only "cap" is it can't go up more than 2% A YEAR I think it is. But when you buy it gets set to your paying price. Lucky for me I'm assessed low so I'm ok for now.

I think it's prop 13
My grandparents were one of the lucky ones that got locked in back in the late '70s. I wanna say they paid under $1k/yr (their house was/is worth easily $650k, maybe more) until they died.
My parents should've had it too, but I don't think they did for some reason. They divorced in like '81, so maybe that had something to do with it.
I'll have to ask them

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #63 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:33 PM

There is the problem. People are paying $1k property taxes on a $650k home. That screws everyone else.
Fyi. My home in TX is worth maybe $360k and my property taxes are $6.4k annually.
My mom pays about $20k on a $700k home. Shit ain't cheap!

post #64 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
There is the problem. People are paying $1k property taxes on a $650k home. That screws everyone else.
Fyi. My home in TX is worth maybe $360k and my property taxes are $6.4k annually.
Maybe it's a problem in other places, but it's certainly NOT the problem here.
The youngest of the people that got in on Prop 13 are generally in their '70s now, i.e. they're senior citizens and their numbers are shrinking.
Considering how badly the government has fucked, and is currently fucking the elderly through the theft of SS funds etc, even the most rabid of liberals isn't gonna call them out for having low property taxes.
THE problem here is we have a state government totally out of control.
In order to pay for their crazy 'programs' (free college education for illegal aliens is one of my favorites. along with free medical, and legal services, along with 'low' interest loans that the tax paying citizens who pay for all this don't even have access to), they've taxed business after business right out of the state(Toyota is leaving or just left for Texas after decades in Torrance), our vehicle registration is some of, if not the highest in the country, as is our sales tax(es), income tax, and fuel taxes, not to mention all the bullshit 'fees' they force you to pay, such as the 'penalty assessment' on traffic tickets that more than double the fines. It goes on and on and on.
When they enacted our state lottery what...30-40 years ago, it was supposed to go directly to our schools.
Well, our schools subsequently had to cut electives, bussing, sports etc, because the lottery ended up going straight into the fucking politicians' pockets.
Supporting its tax-paying citizens isn't even on the radar of our state government, but squeezing every last cent out of us to pay for their pet bullshit is
brobox and JScottM like this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17

Last edited by yokev; 04-15-2017 at 02:07 AM.
post #65 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:43 AM

Garage
Yep...
We have the 6th largest economy in the world with some of the highest tax rates in the country and a very large population...that translates to a sh&^ load of $$.
The problem is pensions, free handouts, illegal aliens, and gross money mismanagement...not capped property tax increases while you own your home...
JScottM likes this.

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
2" RC leveling kit & 1.25" RC body lift
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
Method Grid Wheels -Special Thanks to JT@Bajakits with stainless beadlock bolts
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Upper A-arms and King coilovers and rear shocks.
post #66 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:57 AM

Yes, and look at the poor smokers. It costs a fortune in taxes to kill yourself with tobacco. A pack of cigs is now about $7. I quit smoking years ago so it doesn't affect me but I still think its complete BS to tax ANYTHING that much. Yes, even tobacco. They play it up like they will use the money for smoking related health stuff but just piss it down a hole like the rest of the money....yes, just like the lotto money going to schools. What a bunch of pricks.

post #67 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
@yokev

Y'all have at least 1 good representative down there in Socal.

Check out Melissa Melendez's FB page. She's wicked awesome telling off these Liberals.

She even posted like 6 Dem. Senator's contact info on her FB page the other day because of this so it was easy to call them and let them know your thoughts. I spent about 15min yesterday morning calling each one and leaving them awesome voicemails to make sure they have a good Monday
Don't forget about Tom McClintock! McClintock for Congress

‘16 Colorado LT CC LB Duramax - Brownstone, Bose, Luxury Pkg, Safety Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Trailering Pkg/Locking rear diff, Wheel flares, BORA 1.5" wheel spacers, Iron Cross Patriot Running Boards, Line-X. Planned mods: Zone 1.25" level. SOLD: '15 Colorado LT V6. Threw kitty litter on that turd....... and dumped it!
post #68 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
Maybe it's a problem in other places, but it's certainly NOT the problem here.
The youngest of the people that got in on Prop 13 are generally in their '70s now, i.e. they're senior citizens and their numbers are shrinking.
Considering how badly the government has fucked, and is currently fucking the elderly through the theft of SS funds etc, even the most rabid of liberals isn't gonna call them out for having low property taxes.
THE problem here is we have a state government totally out of control.
In order to pay for their crazy 'programs' (free college education for illegal aliens is one of my favorites. along with free medical, and legal services, along with 'low' interest loans that the tax paying citizens who pay for all this don't even have access to), they've taxed business after business right out of the state(Toyota is leaving or just left for Texas after decades in Torrance), our vehicle registration is some of, if not the highest in the country, as is our sales tax(es), income tax, and fuel taxes, not to mention all the bullshit 'fees' they force you to pay, such as the 'penalty assessment' on traffic tickets that more than double the fines. It goes on and on and on.
When they enacted our state lottery what...30-40 years ago, it was supposed to go directly to our schools.
Well, our schools subsequently had to cut electives, bussing, sports etc, because the lottery ended up going straight into the fucking politicians' pockets.
Supporting its tax-paying citizens isn't even on the radar of our state government, but squeezing every last cent out of us to pay for their pet bullshit is
You are mistaken in several ways.

First Prop 13 still applies to a new property bought just last year. The initial valuation is reset at time of purchase. However that properties taxes still are limited to 2% increases annually. If you understand compounding and the effects of time, even a home bought in 2009 in San Diego is paying 30-40% less for property taxes than a new purchaser would today.

Secondly, and this is more important, is that Prop 13 also applies to commercial property. I mean, it's not even a law that applies strictly to a primary residence. This is the real reason CA is broke.

Current: 2009 Canyon CC I5. 170K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
Eagerly awaiting 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4 CCLB
post #69 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
And your state income tax rate is what? Zero?

This is most certainly not the problem in California. What we have is an over populated state with a gigantic spending problem. Political corruption and more takers than makers.

I pay WAY more than $1,000 dollars to this state. Income Tax around 9-11% this year. Property Tax at 1.7% (due to local bond issues) Sales Tax 8%. Gas Tax? who knows exactly. And that tax is progressive. . . tax on tax.

I can't wait for the minimum wage SEIU folks to realize they just got their $5/hour raise taken from them in gas tax and licensing fees, just to build the slow train to nowhere.
lqdchkn and JScottM like this.
post #70 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
You are mistaken in several ways.

First Prop 13 still applies to a new property bought just last year. The initial valuation is reset at time of purchase. However that properties taxes still are limited to 2% increases annually. If you understand compounding and the effects of time, even a home bought in 2009 in San Diego is paying 30-40% less for property taxes than a new purchaser would today.

Secondly, and this is more important, is that Prop 13 also applies to commercial property. I mean, it's not even a law that applies strictly to a primary residence. This is the real reason CA is broke.
California is ranked 45th for state taxes.
Texas is ranked 5th for state taxes.
By Forbes for lowest (1) to highest (50) tax burden. https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emeg.../#4bb1ca87c591

You are simply wrong...we get screwed by democrats at every turn so they can give money away to useless gov employees, and those too lazy to work.
FlynJRacer likes this.

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Upper A-arms and King coilovers and rear shocks.
post #71 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:01 PM

Garage
Then couple the higher tax burden in CA with...

State Welfare Spending Rank for 2016 - Charts
CA... $44.8 billion spent on welfare in 2016
CA... $50.6 billion spent on pensions in 2016

State Pension Spending Rank for 2016 - Charts
TX... $9.1 billion spent on welfare in 2016
TX... $16.2 billion spent on pensions in 2016

Now go ahead and tell me again why CA is broke....

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

post #72 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynJRacer View Post
And your state income tax rate is what? Zero?

This is most certainly not the problem in California. What we have is an over populated state with a gigantic spending problem. Political corruption and more takers than makers.

I pay WAY more than $1,000 dollars to this state. Income Tax around 9-11% this year. Property Tax at 1.7% (due to local bond issues) Sales Tax 8%. Gas Tax? who knows exactly. And that tax is progressive. . . tax on tax.

I can't wait for the minimum wage SEIU folks to realize they just got their $5/hour raise taken from them in gas tax and licensing fees, just to build the slow train to nowhere.
On gas 39.5 cents per gallon! (before our new rate hike) 60 cents after! Yep, $12 just in tax every time I fill up,(don't think that includes 7.5% sales tax either. F ing ridiculous! Diesel goes from 20 to 40. I'd like to slap Brown upside the head, maybe knock so sense into him. I guess he won't be happy until ALL businesses leave and nobody drives on the promised perfect roads. Hopefully USPS will still deliver everyone's welfare money and food stamps so they can take them to Nevada to buy cigarettes and their kids candy and Dorritos. They should change the train to go out of state, at least then someone would ride it. ROFL

post #73 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:09 PM

Garage
I don't condone slapping anyone, especially an elected official. But, I am very unhappy about the increase in fuel taxes, and especially unhappy about the fact that a more efficient fuel is being increased more heavily than gas. Total crap if you ask me.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

post #74 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:09 PM

Taxes are too high in CA. That's partly why I left.

However it doesn't help that 50% of the properties pay a fraction of their share of taxes. That screws over the other 50%. It's not just people over 70. It's anyone that bought a home or commercial property, even just last year, yet their tax appraisal didn't increase the same as their appreciation. That's why in the great recession, when home prices crashed, the property taxes didn't go down there, because they were still just trying to catch up to where they should have been.

That is all I'm saying.

post #75 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:33 PM

QUESTION: Why not California Voters re-pass another New Proposition 13 & freshen up the date to 2017. Use the Ballot initiative process & put it on the November Ballot & see what happens.
post #76 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Taxes are too high in CA. That's partly why I left.

However it doesn't help that 50% of the properties pay a fraction of their share of taxes. That screws over the other 50%. It's not just people over 70. It's anyone that bought a home or commercial property, even just last year, yet their tax appraisal didn't increase the same as their appreciation. That's why in the great recession, when home prices crashed, the property taxes didn't go down there, because they were still just trying to catch up to where they should have been.

That is all I'm saying.
That's all you're saying. . . but you and others IGNORE the state income tax. Prop 13 ReDux will not FIX a damn thing in this state. . . or more taxes in this country for that matter. The credit card is maxed out. SPENDING is the problem. So you think forcing business to pay higher wages in the form of a $15 minimum wage. . . then strap them with a higher property tax rate too is a grand plan to the promised land? Doubtful. It won't be long before the state falls in to the Pacific. . . financially. It will only get worse as the Millennials don't believe in the foundational ethic for which this country thrives on. . . That is the HARD WORK ethic.

Nobody Rides for Free!

PS. . . want to see a really BIG bullet being loaded in the chamber and pointed at the heads of Californians? Take a look at CalPers and STRS.
post #77 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:01 PM

Everyone should pay their fair share, so that the rate is lower for all.

The lowest hanging and most common sense fruit in CA is a complete and immediate repeal of Prop 13.

~ good luck

post #78 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:43 PM

Garage
....meanwhile, back to the topic at hand. I sure hope enough concerned citizens get to together to put an initiative on the November ballot to block this gas tax.

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #79 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Everyone should pay their fair share, so that the rate is lower for all.

The lowest hanging and most common sense fruit in CA is a complete and immediate repeal of Prop 13.

~ good luck

Jeez, you should send Jerry Brown a big fat personal check from Texas since you feel that way. I'm curious what percentage do you pay in property tax? Also curious about how much a comparable property is worth in Texas. I'll guess about half of one in my area and about 1/4 of one in LA. For instance a small 3 bed house in LA will cost you about $500,000. But with the horrible prop 13 the owner might only be paying tax on 400,000 for that little house. I really don't think that makes for a common sense low hanging fruit to grab from us. Spending is the problem, the more they get the more they spend and nothing gets better, just worse. The government budget is a system that is designed to fail. They spend every freaking dime at by the end of the year because if they don't they won't get it next year. Then beg for more saying your are short, and do it again.
FlynJRacer likes this.

post #80 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleZ View Post
....meanwhile, back to the topic at hand. I sure hope enough concerned citizens get to together to put an initiative on the November ballot to block this gas tax.
+1. Lets get this done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Jeez, you should send Jerry Brown a big fat personal check from Texas since you feel that way. I'm curious what percentage do you pay in property tax? Also curious about how much a comparable property is worth in Texas. I'll guess about half of one in my area and about 1/4 of one in LA. For instance a small 3 bed house in LA will cost you about $500,000. But with the horrible prop 13 the owner might only be paying tax on 400,000 for that little house. I really don't think that makes for a common sense low hanging fruit to grab from us. Spending is the problem, the more they get the more they spend and nothing gets better, just worse. The government budget is a system that is designed to fail. They spend every freaking dime at by the end of the year because if they don't they won't get it next year. Then beg for more saying your are short, and do it again.
You can't get a small outhouse around where I live for 500k. You might be able to get a mobile home for that, but then you don't actually own the land under it. No thanks. Some areas you can get a 1300 - 1500 square foot 3 bedroom place for 1 to 1.5 Mil. As you head closer to SF it can easily double that or more. So even if tax rates are lower, the houses are costing 5 to 10 times as much as they are really worth. (Yeah I know the actual value of something is what someone else is willing to pay for it.) I had a house in Sunnyvale, bought it at a dip in 2009 and had to sell 2015 after a divorce. I couldn't afford to buy her 1/2 of the equity and pay her alimony at the same time. Oh speaking of spousal support. TX beats the heck out of CA in that respect for sure.
JScottM likes this.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode