Most common issues - 16/17 diesels - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:29 PM

I've been highly impressed with my truck.

Issues
-Particulate Matter Sensor

Inconvenience
-ECU rattle
-Trans shift when going downhill causes elevated RPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:37 PM

Garage
Most common issues - 16/17 diesels

20k miles on my '16 Duramax and I haven't had a single issue that only pertains to only the Diesel model.... damn rattling steering wheel!!
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:33 PM

Had mine for about a year with 13,000 miles on it. Very minor issues but none pertaining to the diesel.
As someone mentioned before keep an eye on the dealers and salesman. They tend to be clueless about the diesels. A lot of people on here have been running into problems with them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:02 PM

Garage
This is great to hear, im real close to closing the deal, pending my trade in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:02 PM

Garage
Just over 1 year and 18K. Love the truck, great fuel mileage, tows my 6k Travel trailer with ease. Transmission shifts perfectly . Exhaust brake works well here in the mountains when towing. 28.43 mpg lifetime average( towing, Daily driver, 4 months of sub zero temps, lots of remote starts.)

ZERO issues.
Reverendbiker likes this.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to redferbclan Send a message via MSN to redferbclan
Had mine for 13 months now. 23,000 miles I think.
Steering wheel rattle-new wheel fixed.
Hose from the after cooler to the intake blew a hole-New hose fixed it.
That's about it. For the first model year, it's pretty impressive.
Average about 28.5 MPG not towing.

2016 Canyon SLT longbed 4x4 Duramax Summit White
Leather coca/dune
Nav/Bose
Spray in bed liner
Tow package
Chrome recovery hooks
Skid plate
Chrome running boards
Mud flaps
Tonneau cover
Door sill plates
Bed lighting
Red painted calipers
LED cargo lamps
LED back up lamps
LED reading and dome lamps
HID low beams
LED high beams
Yes, I got it pinstriped.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:35 PM

Great info here...

Man, makes me feel a lot more confident about my recent purchase. I've got 730 miles on my '17 Canyon and averaged 27 MPG on my first tank of diesel.

The electronics scare me but, I have no complaints and no issues. I'm very happy with this truck so far!

Mike
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 PM

I'm at 40,000 miles. I pull 6500# regularly now. I still like it, knock on wood. I had two alternator pulleys leaking that the dealer took care of. It does not stop the truck. Biggest fear with that would be someone washes off the alternator then your pulley is empty of fluid and not dampening the vibrations as it should. I do however have weird squeak squeak squeak at low to could be 40mph that is not in time with the motor or wheels and it's driving me bonkers. It's not the brakes either. It actually sppeds up when the truck slows down. Friggin weird.

I think the choice of getting a diesel Colorado is simply that there was nothing to compete with it for the 2016 model. Towing capacity, size, usefulness and MPG. There is absolutely nothing else out there that can get 30mpg and then tow serious weight.

07 4X4 CREW CAB CANYON, 16 EAGLE OFF-ROAD ALLOYS, 245/70-16 BFG'S, TINT, LINE X BEDLINER, REESE & AN EXPENSIVE ASS TONNUE COVER & SOME PLASTIC SHIELDS EVERYWHERE-Sold
2016 Colorado Black, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Diesel, Luxury package with black bowties.
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Daw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFL View Post
Thanks guys, please keep the info coming!

Are those sensor, pulley and exhaust fluid issues things that leave you stranded, and can they be fixed at home? Even if it's under warranty, I would prefer to spend a couple hundred bucks and fix it myself than let a dealer touch it. ;)
Pulley issue left me stranded. Belt strips tore wiring harness from fan clutch. They had to replace entire fan assembly as harness and clutch are one assembly. Truck died on I 70.
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daw View Post
Pulley issue left me stranded. Belt strips tore wiring harness from fan clutch. They had to replace entire fan assembly as harness and clutch are one assembly. Truck died on I 70.
Your's was another pulley issue, not the Alternator pulley though, right? The one he's referring too in that comment was the one I specifically mentioned about the Alternator pulley
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:33 AM

Garage
Wtf, just hit 200miles and got poor quality def. Lol unreal, should i get some blue def or take it straight to the dealer

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:06 AM

Garage
Had the truck for 12 weeks and 2500 miles....ZERO issues....runs great....cruising at 55mph ...almost 40 mpg

pictures on my profile of my truck during
assembly on 01-09-2017 Wentzville Mo.
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekyu View Post
Wtf, just hit 200miles and got poor quality def. Lol unreal, should i get some blue def or take it straight to the dealer

take it to the dealer....maybe a sensor or something else..or it sat on the lot for a long time
eyekyu likes this.

pictures on my profile of my truck during
assembly on 01-09-2017 Wentzville Mo.
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich's Z71 View Post
take it to the dealer....maybe a sensor or something else..or it sat on the lot for a long time
thats what the mechanic said, it probably sat. I work about 50miles to the closest dealer. the message came on during my drive to work. about half to the dealer the message went away. Just annoying thats all.

For anyone really, when deleting the DPF does it also take care of the DEF?
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekyu View Post
thats what the mechanic said, it probably sat. I work about 50miles to the closest dealer. the message came on during my drive to work. about half to the dealer the message went away. Just annoying thats all.

For anyone really, when deleting the DPF does it also take care of the DEF?
Yes it needs to be disabled too.
eyekyu likes this.
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:15 PM

Garage
Just over 6500 miles without any issues.
Haven't had to add DEF yet, Oil at 13%, Fuel filter at 73%.
Tuned it a few hundred miles back and it is much more spunky and shifts very smooth.

2016 Colorado CCSB, Duramax Z71 4x4, bose, nav, leveling kit, retrax bed cover, linex, Westin Sportsman Grill Guard Winch, Westin T-Max 9500lb winch with Synthetic line, Mictuning curved light bar, Undercover swing case's.
Duramax Turner DSP 4

post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hckyplayer8 View Post
I've been highly impressed with my truck.

Issues
-Particulate Matter Sensor

Inconvenience
-ECU rattle
-Trans shift when going downhill causes elevated RPM
I think that shifting on the down hill might be intentional, to help control your speed when you're towing. FF this video to 10:00:

Hckyplayer8 likes this.
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:13 PM

My 2016 2.8 Colorado Z71 LB has been trouble free. 11K miles so far, and the diesel still continues to impress me with it's power. I get great gas mileage and the low end torque is great.
Fubar2016 likes this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed Black on Black.
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:57 PM

Only 2000 miles and no issues. Compared to my previous car that required premium and got like 15-17 mpg this Colorado is incredibly fuel efficient. With a 21 gallon tank it seems like forever between fill ups. A little off topic, every now and then I floor it on a certain stretch of road - it's quickness is actually not bad at all for a truck. I'm sure the gasser feels a lot faster but even this diesel moves pretty good. I remember reading somewhere (different website) that someone said it was dangerously slow. That person Was wrong - it's not. My previous car was very fast and I can say this truck is not horrendously slow - it moves plenty good for me. Very happy with it.
Duken4evr likes this.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2016 View Post
Only 2000 miles and no issues. Compared to my previous car that required premium and got like 15-17 mpg this Colorado is incredibly fuel efficient. With a 21 gallon tank it seems like forever between fill ups. A little off topic, every now and then I floor it on a certain stretch of road - it's quickness is actually not bad at all for a truck. I'm sure the gasser feels a lot faster but even this diesel moves pretty good. I remember reading somewhere (different website) that someone said it was dangerously slow. That person Was wrong - it's not. My previous car was very fast and I can say this truck is not horrendously slow - it moves plenty good for me. Very happy with it.
Agreed. The diesel is a different kind of power, and I think it is very cool. The diesel is great for accelerating while already rolling. "Stabbing" the pedal quickly works on gas engines, on our trucks smoothly rolling it in and not being shy about how far you push it down moves out in a satisfying way. I also love how solid the torque is, and as a result how normal speed changes for traffic are effortless, and hills simply don't seem to matter.
404 Not Found and Fubar2016 like this.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 04-26-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode