Most common issues - 16/17 diesels - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Question Most common issues - 16/17 diesels

I'm a non-Chevy owner seriously considering buying a diesel Colorado. Would someone please give me a quick summary of the common issues people are seeing with these so far, and how prevalent the issues are? I'm mostly interested in the diesel 4x4. My goal is just to get my expectations in check before I go drop the cash on one.

Every model has some known weaknesses, I've been driving the same Tacoma for 19 years so I'm very familiar with the common Toyota issues, but I'm completely out of the loop on the Chevy diesels and would greatly appreciate any info. Especially any issues that might require dealer help to fix (dealers give me the willies). ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:05 PM

While I dont have the diesel, just asking before someone else does....are you talking about the 2017 or getting an older one.

I know the 2015-16 gassers changed to a diff engine/trans, but not sure if the 2017 diesel trans changed from 16 to17.

Overall, I have not seen many complaints other that little minor ones so far.
The My Link seems to be the one I see most often here....and since I changed out my entire stereo system to me it is a non-issue.

GM seems to have been fixing the major issues once they become prevalent......key words 'so far"

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I'm interested in the current model diesel, I believe that would be both the 2016 and 2017. I would most likely buy a 2017, but knowing the issues with the 2016 would be very helpful when shopping the 2017's. :)

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:21 PM

Garage
I currently have a 16 and haven't had any issues so far. I know some folks have had transmissions that wernt as smooth as they would have liked. But for me, its been smooth sailing. I went from a full size 1 ton Chevy to a new Colly and haven't looked back.

" I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work." -C. Titus
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:40 PM

Some exhaust particulate sensors and DEF pumps seem to go out more often than expected but overall very reliable. I think some of that is getting this engine setup for US emissions and the growing pains associated with it. Only issue I've had is dealers being clueless not knowing anything about them or their maintenance when I take it in for routine service. Watch them like a hawk or do it yourself. I'm only using them for the 2 free services then they'll never touch it again.
Toughsox likes this.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:03 PM

Off the top of my head:

Exhaust Particulate matter sensor - has been an issue for some
NOx sensors - a few reported issues
Alternator pulley - at least 3 reported issues, including mine
MISC. other exhaust fluid component issues - couple
Turbo issues - couple

There have been other issues that diesel owners have that are similar to gasser issues like radio interface, etc

Other than the pulley issue I haven't had any problems with mine though.

I believe the only significant change between 16 and 17 diesels is the new ECU that overs added security and a minor inconvenience when try to flash/tune. Not sure if that would even apply to you though
IceDiesel likes this.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 04-16-2017 at 10:05 PM.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:24 PM

Overall not that many issues to date. As stated about a few guys have lost sensors and some odds and ends.

Only complaint from me overall is Bose Door Rattle, and my hood latch is tight as crap and they can't figure it out.

2016 Z71 Midnight Edition Colorado w/ Duramax and Bose/Nav.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, please keep the info coming!

Are those sensor, pulley and exhaust fluid issues things that leave you stranded, and can they be fixed at home? Even if it's under warranty, I would prefer to spend a couple hundred bucks and fix it myself than let a dealer touch it. ;)
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:09 PM

Like nearly all the diesel owners, I've never had a single issue ever and nobody has had a major problem of any kind. I consider my truck to be a model of perfection. A year ago I never would have believed it.
Reverendbiker, mexica and dmaxjr like this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFL View Post

Are those sensor, pulley and exhaust fluid issues things that leave you stranded, and can they be fixed at home? Even if it's under warranty, I would prefer to spend a couple hundred bucks and fix it myself than let a dealer touch it. ;)
Sensors and pumps are simple to do, all under the truck and easy to get to. For those that had an issue with the infotainment system, you really need that done at a dealer since it's a reflash but that's not diesel related and to me an equal risk with any of the overly complex and ridiculous electronics on new vehicles.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:46 PM

Garage
I have 20K on mine and have had a few issues but nothing that stranded me. One of the big diferences between 1996 and 2016 , COMPUTER , COMPUTER, COMPUTER. The new cars ( all cars, all mfg. ) are more computer controlled so to fix a problem you must have a good OBDII tool and be able to understand the error. This forum is a wealth of information on problems and resolutions that can point you in the right direction.
I spent 40+ years servicing mainframe computers so looking for the failure that only happened on Tuesday in the third week of the month on a day that had a 3 in the date caused a failure was common. If that is you, then maybe you can take care of everything on your new truck, if not, welcome to 2017.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:

As mentioned a sensor could be done yourself but while under warranty why would you? Some of them are $$$$

The alternator pulley is fluid filled and the issues have been that the fluid leaks out....not an outright failure of the alternator. I don't believe anyone has had one go catastrophic but they notice "oil" on the alt. and surrounding area. I drove on mine for a week (admittedly nervously) after it was discovered until my dealer could get a replacement. Again it looked like an easy DIY job and the alt. wasn't that expensive considering it was a full replacement (about $200 on amazon prime) but why bother when it's covered under warranty
16_MidnightRider likes this.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to dmcdufford Send a message via MSN to dmcdufford
I took delivery on 1/7/16 and have almost 33k miles on it and I am very happy with the truck. I am having the sensor problem that everyone seems to have (it is still on back order) and the issue with the hot air door. It has a lot of torque in a usable rpm range and I have gotten just under 25 mpg based on actual calculation. It is fun and very comfortable to drive. The electronics works well with my iphone (I have the nav and Bose).

post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

What is the hot air door problem? Thanks!
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
The heater blend door on 15/16 Auto climate systems has a design flaw that causes it to crack, leaving you with no heat. Replacement requires 90% of the dash be removed to access, but if the crack is still small, a reinforcement clamp is added in 5 minutes.
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:45 AM

Came from Toyota to the Duramax 16. I love this diesel truck. No issues at all. Mind you it took awhile to get the right seat cushion to make the seat the correct angle for me. I also don't like the mast antenna in the middle of the roof. But as far as the power and drivability I have never had a truck so nice to be in.

2016 Colorado Duramax LT CyberGray Longbox 4WD
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:43 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sabbotage Send a message via MSN to sabbotage
Quote:
I think most of the 16s you will find leftover will already have this fixed from the factory. My truck was built on September 14th, 2016 and it had the fix already done from the factory.

2016 GMC Canyon All-Terrain Duramax
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:42 PM

I picked up a 16 Diesel, 4x4 January 2016. It just crossed 22k miles and I have had no issues related to the engine, or transmission.

2016 Colorado 2.8 Duramax,
  • LT, Jet Black Leather, White,
  • CC, LB, 4x4, Sprayed on,
  • Bose, Navigation,
  • 2" Auto Spring Level,
  • Iron Cross HD Step
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 PM

What problems? I have a '16 with about 15K on it. No issues, except that I frequently have to make a special stop at a gas station for something to drink, for me, the truck isn't thirsty...........
Reverendbiker likes this.

'16 Z71 CC/SB Minimax. Brownstone. 5" SS boards, Quad fold tonneau, Wheel well flares. Spray in liner, swing out tool boxes, Bose & Nav. Weathertech vent shades, floor liners and mud flaps.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 PM

Only 1400 miles on my new '17 Canyon, but it had no up front issues at all. Off to a good start, and the truck is just too darn cool to drive. If you have not had a chance to, take one for a test drive. The diesel in a easy handling truck is a very cool package.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode