So glad I got the diesel. - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebaddz View Post
My drive is about 7 miles and I never had a problem. I never even saw the "keep driving" message you get if you interrupt a regen enough, and I know I interrupted it a few times. It just picked back up and finished on the next drive with nary a notification or problem.

For the record, it's all in town and I got 23mpg on that drive stock, and get 26 now that I'm tuned.
That is some sweet fuel economy for a vehicle this size. Better than my wifes' car, and not that far behind my Camry. The low end torque is nice in town too.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:23 PM

Garage
Down here in the mid south of Louisiana, diesel is 2.19 at Costco and about a nickel to 7 cents more at Racetrack.
After my Tune it looks like I picked up 3-4 mpg on the hwy and a couple in town and the truck is so muck more responsive and fun to drive.

2016 Colorado CCSB, Duramax Z71 4x4, bose, nav, leveling kit, retrax bed cover, linex, Westin Sportsman Grill Guard Winch, Westin T-Max 9500lb winch, Mictuning curved light bar, Undercover swing case's.
Duramax Turner DSP 4

post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
LOL track prices bro. They are expecting the suckers, lol

They want all those Porsche guys $$$$
That's why I bought the diesel...The price of diesel is much more competitive on the 5 fwy and elsewhere.
And, yeah, I still cry when I have to fill up the 911 with premium...regardless of my location.

Mike
lqdchkn and F8LZ71 like this.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by overl4and View Post
Thanks!
That clears it. Will sure try to attend a truck meet with local Cali fans :)
I guess I should keep driving if a regen is happening. I can do that

My commute is about 15 minutes as its a freeway run for 5 of those 7 miles. Good 85mph if I get a rabbit, and 72-73 if I am the rabbit
I drive about 3 miles to the gym on surface streets with multiple stop signs nearly every day. That's my commute. Never had a problem with regens. I can occasionally tell that it is idling a little faster at stop signs but no error messages or warning at all.

If you are doing 15 minute freeway runs, you should be golden...

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
At most pumps I see diesel to be about 10-15c cheaper than 87 Gas. With tax I figure they would be same price. I am talking about pumps like FLying J, Rotten Robbie etc., near Bay area and Sacramento

Check out Propel HPR:

Locations | Propel Diesel HPR

Stuff burns great, runs in any diesel and right now is gong for around 2.75-2.79/gallon. I probably ran 50k miles on it in my 2009 Jetta TDI and have been using it for the few fillups I've done on my Colorado.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawman View Post
Check out Propel HPR:

Locations | Propel Diesel HPR

Stuff burns great, runs in any diesel and right now is gong for around 2.75-2.79/gallon. I probably ran 50k miles on it in my 2009 Jetta TDI and have been using it for the few fillups I've done on my Colorado.
Chevy allowed upto B20 (20%). If you go full biodiesel can't they mess with warranty if you run into issues? I know this is not biodiesel. but still its biomass based
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Chevy allowed upto B20 (20%). If you go full biodiesel can't they mess with warranty if you run into issues? I know this is not biodiesel. but still its biomass based
Nope, this is not biodiesel at all. It is certified to run just like regular diesel on any diesel engine. VW only allows a max of 5% Biodiesel it their TDIs and I never had an issue in my TDI with it.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:08 AM

Not having to fill up every week is my #1 reason, granted I drive 60 miles per week since it's my grocery getter
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusid View Post
Not having to fill up every week is my #1 reason, granted I drive 60 miles per week since it's my grocery getter
Still.. I drive 50-60 miles a day during the work week. I'm getting similar MPGs to my trade-in but with double the range thanks to the larger tank. And then diesel vs. 92 octane. At the Texaco on my way is 2.94 vs. 3.09 (3.28 at Shell).

ARCO Diesel a little out of my way is 2.79.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas.JPG (47.5 KB, 19 views)

'17 Canyon Dmax CCSB Bronze

post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:16 AM

Where I currently by Diesel there is only a $.04 difference between diesel and regular unleaded.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:44 PM

I have a 7 mile commute. The only time I have had issues with the diesel was during the winter during 15 degree weather and ice on the roads. The O2 sensor sooted up because I was driving too easy with the slow traffic and it killed the exhaust brake and got a service engine light for a few days. As soon as I got aggressive with it and driving up a hill under torque it blew out the soot (literally, lots of smoke) and the problem went away. I have only noticed a regen a couple of times since owning the truck and only because the mpg went to about 17mpg. Other than that I get about 22mpg during the winter and close to 26mpg during the summer around town. Highway up to 33mpg. Distance between fillups makes the diesel very nice. I am now using about half the fuel, and cost, that I was burning with a 2002 Toyota Highlander that I replaced. I was planning on gas going up steeply in the future. If nothing else, diesel will be available....I remember rationing in the 70's....not going there again.

Last edited by Rand1; 04-18-2017 at 05:49 PM.
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand1 View Post
I remember rationing in the 70's....not going there again.
I remember rationing in 2012... (NY following Hurricane Sandy)

'17 Canyon Dmax CCSB Bronze

post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:49 PM

What Amsoil engine oil do you use in your truck?
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:12 PM

Garage
I'm just gonna state for the record that I don't understand the Canadian fuel mileage computation, nor do I understand liters.
I'm a firm believer in everything metric EXCEPT, speed/distance(even the English prefer to use MPH over KPH), and volume(gallons are way simpler than liters).
As you were...

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to nfmisso
Quote:
I am curious what is a short commute. Is a 7 mile+ one way commute decent or count as short commute?
I am purchasing in June, and torn between diesel and gas. Since my last truck was a diesel, I like the torque and stuff, but my daily work commute will be 5-7 miles one way. Of course, weekends we will definitely do 40-50+ mile trips, and in many cases even 100 mile+trips
5 to 7 miles in bicycling, unless it is raining....

My commute is 10 miles each way, our vehicle has averaged less than 6K miles per year since moving to San Jose.

I bike because I am a cheap a_s, and hate driving in the traffic around here.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfmisso View Post
5 to 7 miles in bicycling, unless it is raining....

My commute is 10 miles each way, our vehicle has averaged less than 6K miles per year since moving to San Jose.

I bike because I am a cheap a_s, and hate driving in the traffic around here.
Heck, this year you would've been better off investing in a kayak
And we thought we had a lotta rain down here .

Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I'm just gonna state for the record that I don't understand the Canadian fuel mileage computation, nor do I understand liters.
I'm a firm believer in everything metric EXCEPT, speed/distance(even the English prefer to use MPH over KPH), and volume(gallons are way simpler than liters).
As you were...
As a Canadian I feel like I have to but in here. The metric system is a thing of beauty. Everything is divisible by 10s
for example
1km = 1000m
1m = 100cm
1cm = 10mm

so 10L/100km
means you can travel 100km on 10liters of fuel

See easy as pie

By the way I am a machinist that works for an american owned company so most of the prints I work on are in SAE or Imperial aka inch so i'm well versed in imperial as well

1mi = 5280'
1'= 12"
1" is broken down to decimal places

Anyway I know I'm gonna get beat up for this but once you go metric you never go back
yokev likes this.

2016 Colorado Crew Cab Long Box
2013 Fusion SE 2.0L Eco Boost
1988 Firebird Formula

Last edited by Whip8888; 04-19-2017 at 08:41 PM.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip8888 View Post
As a Canadian I feel like I have to but in here. The metric system is a thing of beauty. Everything is divisible by 10s
for example
1km = 1000m
1m = 100cm
1cm = 10mm

so 10L/100km
means you can travel 100km on 10liters of fuel

See easy as pie

By the way I am a machinist that works for an american owned company so most of the prints I work on are in SAE or Imperial aka inch so i'm well versed in imperial as well

1mi = 5280'
1'= 12"
1" is broken down to decimal places

Anyway I know I'm gonna get beat up for this but once you go metric you never go back
Nah man.. As a military veteran, and [retired] Japanese motorcycle racer, I'm not only used to, but prefer to use mm's and meters as opposed to inches/feet/yards. I'm not a big fan of the cm however. I'll say '530mm' and not '53cm'
An inch is(of course) 25.4mm, and I've done the conversion so many times I do it in my head.
As I said before however, I still prefer miles to kilometers and gallons to liters.
If this country ever switches to the metric system, fuel prices(along with milk, and every other liquid currently sold by the gallon) are gonna skyrocket. They'll take advantage of the liter being only about 1/4-gallon and the average American's complete ignorance of that fact to screw us yet another way.
Whip8888 and Rdrcr like this.

Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
LOL track prices bro. They are expecting the suckers, lol

They want all those Porsche guys $$$$
With the Diesel, I can get to Buttonwillow from LA, towing the track car... and carry 30 gallons of fuel with me so I don't have to pay Buttonwillow prices... ouch @ $3.69!
lqdchkn and Rdrcr like this.

'16 White CCLB Diesel Z71
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2016 View Post
You said "California" so I looked at a random area code (91105) in Los Angeles and it looks like diesel is significantly cheaper than even regular gasoline.

Diesel is:
.16 cheaper than regular
.26 cheaper than mid grade
.36 cheaper than premium

Same in Orange and Riverside counties.
It's been, and (KNOCK ON WOOD) is currently cheaper than 87oct gasoline.
Of course there's been times when it's been more expensive than 91(Super), and you can't count on it always being this 'cheap'.
And, obviously starting next year we're all gonna be grabbing our collective ankles thanks to Jerry-the-commie

Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode