So glad I got the diesel. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

So glad I got the diesel.

Gas prices keep rising and diesel prices staying low. Add to that, 30% better mileage and it certainly makes for a lower cost of ownership. More pulling power and longer engine life helps too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170412_075834~01.jpg (22.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 20170417_093034~01.jpg (14.2 KB, 294 views)
skua, dmaxjr, RandyNC and 1 others like this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
Gas prices keep rising and diesel prices staying low. Add to that, 30% better mileage and it certainly makes for a lower cost of ownership. More pulling power and longer engine life helps too.
That converts to about $2.89 USD/gallon. Not sure what it costs in all parts of the US. Here in NC it's averaging about 20% less than what you are paying, but is still running approx 10% higher than the price of gasoline.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:07 PM

If diesel averaged cheaper than super unleaded in California I would have waited for the diesel. With the new tax structure diesel will be even more expensive. It just doesn't pencil out even with my regular use of mid-grade fuel.

2016 Canyon SLE CC LB All-Terrain 3.6L - RC 2" Kit | Goodyear Duratrac P265/70/17
2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:18 PM

Garage
"lower cost of ownership" isn't really accurate when factoring in the extra $4k price tag for the diesel unless you're owning the truck for more than 10-15 years when you'll break even with fuel savings. That's not to say that the diesels don't have their perks because they certainly do.
F8LZ71 likes this.

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:21 PM

At most pumps I see diesel to be about 10-15c cheaper than 87 Gas. With tax I figure they would be same price. I am talking about pumps like FLying J, Rotten Robbie etc., near Bay area and Sacramento
lqdchkn likes this.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overl4and View Post
At most pumps I see diesel to be about 10-15c cheaper than 87 Gas. With tax I figure they would be same price. I am talking about pumps like FLying J, Rotten Robbie etc., near Bay area and Sacramento
Yeah, it fluctuates occasionally but on average it's $0.20-$0.40 more expensive than 87 in the greater Sacramento area. Every time diesel drops I cringe. Haha Would be nice to be able to accelerate from a stop at a moderate pace without sounding like I'm drag racing (diesel vs. v6).

2016 Canyon SLE CC LB All-Terrain 3.6L - RC 2" Kit | Goodyear Duratrac P265/70/17
2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8LZ71 View Post
If diesel averaged cheaper than super unleaded in California I would have waited for the diesel. With the new tax structure diesel will be even more expensive. It just doesn't pencil out even with my regular use of mid-grade fuel.
You need to stop using major brands. Hit up the Arco on Foresthill Rd or that that generic red and white station diagonal across the intersection.

I find diesel is always at least cheaper that 91oct. when you stay away from the big 4 name brands, Chevron, Shell, 76 and Valero

Gasbuddy is your friend
Attached Images
File Type: png ddd.PNG (106.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: png gas.PNG (115.6 KB, 30 views)
F8LZ71 likes this.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 04-17-2017 at 04:34 PM.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
You need to stop using major brands. Hit up the Arco on Foresthill Rd or that that generic red and white station diagonal across the intersection.

I find diesel is always at least cheaper that 91oct. when you stay away from the big 4 name brands, Chevron, Shell, 76 and Valero
I'm not a sucka. I use Arco 90% of the time on Hwy49. Haha Except when I had to buy gas in Buttonwillow area of i5 last week. At $3.69ga I was crying.
lqdchkn likes this.

2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not a sucka. I use Arco 90% of the time on Hwy49. Haha Except when I had to buy gas in Buttonwillow area of i5 last week. At $3.69ga I was crying.
LOL track prices bro. They are expecting the suckers, lol

They want all those Porsche guys $$$$
F8LZ71 likes this.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:35 PM

I really wavered when buying my '17 Canyon, as the new V6 and 8 speed combo sound very nice. If the driving is mostly in town or taking short trips all the time, the gas engine would probably be a better choice due to the emissions system needing some drive time to clean itself, unless one goes the full delete route. That and the gas engine truck accelerates like a banshee.

Did not really get the diesel to save money, I got it as I see it as a unique power train, at least in the US, where only huge trucks have diesels. Glad I got the diesel though, really digging the relaxed torquey surge ahead like a locomotive diesel vibe and the fuel economy is good too. I find the diesel is the ultimate over the road cruiser. Once it hits top gear and highway speed, the trans' work is done and it just sips the fuel

As far as fuel goes, I go to my local Kroger grocery and gas store. Last fill up I had 70 cents in fuel points and filled that sucker up for $1.35 a gallon. My tank was good and empty too. The truck's long range per tank gives me time to accumulate more fuel points. Gotta eat ya know. They do a very high volume too, so I figure the diesel there gets turned over quickly.
F8LZ71 and 404 Not Found like this.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 04-17-2017 at 04:40 PM.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:

You said "California" so I looked at a random area code (91105) in Los Angeles and it looks like diesel is significantly cheaper than even regular gasoline.

Diesel is:
.16 cheaper than regular
.26 cheaper than mid grade
.36 cheaper than premium

404 Not Found and yokev like this.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:48 PM

I am curious what is a short commute. Is a 7 mile+ one way commute decent or count as short commute?
I am purchasing in June, and torn between diesel and gas. Since my last truck was a diesel, I like the torque and stuff, but my daily work commute will be 5-7 miles one way. Of course, weekends we will definitely do 40-50+ mile trips, and in many cases even 100 mile+trips
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2016 View Post
You said "California" so I looked at a random area code (91105) in Los Angeles and it looks like diesel is significantly cheaper than even regular gasoline.

Diesel is:
.16 cheaper than regular
.26 cheaper than mid grade
.36 cheaper than premium
I was careful and also said average. :)

2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I am curious what is a short commute. Is a 7 mile+ one way commute decent or count as short commute?
I am purchasing in June, and torn between diesel and gas. Since my last truck was a diesel, I like the torque and stuff, but my daily work commute will be 5-7 miles one way. Of course, weekends we will definitely do 40-50+ mile trips, and in many cases even 100 mile+trips
If you are planning on overlanding or other long weekend outdorsy trips just get the diesel. The extra range and low speed torque will be very nice. Anything but a plug-in hybrid/electric is going to suck on fuel economy on short commutes like that anyway.
dano0726 likes this.

2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
If you are planning on overlanding or other long weekend outdorsy trips just get the diesel. The extra range and low speed torque will be very nice. Anything but a plug-in hybrid/electric is going to suck on fuel economy on short commutes like that anyway.
Thanks! I am just worried if my short commutes will be damaging to the emission system. I can sure try an aggressive driving style to keep higher rpm on my commutes after the engine has sufficiently warmed up. I don't want to get into the problem of frequent regens. That is why I was wondering if 7 mile commute is too less and can harm the emission systems. Its like 12-15 minutes I guess
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:11 PM

This is a bit off topic but Ill help since your local

Quote:
That's a short trip but what kinda time does it take you? Time is more important than distance.

I had a 4 mile commute for years that would always take at least 15min due to lights.

You need a good 20min to complete a regen. If you monitor when the truck wants and is in regen and can let it finish that process you wont have issues.

Feel free to hit me up by PM or if you want to meet up for coffee. I'll talk your ear off about it
F8LZ71 and overl4and like this.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I am just worried if my short commutes will be damaging to the emission system. I can sure try an aggressive driving style to keep higher rpm on my commutes after the engine has sufficiently warmed up. I don't want to get into the problem of frequent regens. That is why I was wondering if 7 mile commute is too less and can harm the emission systems. Its like 12-15 minutes I guess
I'm not a diesel expert so I can't answer that but the pros will chime in soon I'm sure. Just don't worry about the fuel economy on a short commute. It's going to suck no matter what. For the rest of your driving the diesel is a sound choice.

2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
This is a bit off topic but Ill help since your local

That's a short trip but what kinda time does it take you? Time is more important than distance.

I had a 4 mile commute for years that would always take at least 15min due to lights.

You need a good 20min to complete a regen. If you monitor when the truck wants and is in regen and can let it finish that process you wont have issues.

Feel free to hit me up by PM or if you want to meet up for coffee. I'll talk your ear off about it
Thanks!
That clears it. Will sure try to attend a truck meet with local Cali fans :)
I guess I should keep driving if a regen is happening. I can do that

My commute is about 15 minutes as its a freeway run for 5 of those 7 miles. Good 85mph if I get a rabbit, and 72-73 if I am the rabbit
F8LZ71 likes this.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:

My current commute (in Mountain View) is 3mi...shortest I've ever had. So short in fact that if I don't have meetings in the morning I usually ride my bike to work.
F8LZ71 likes this.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
My drive is about 7 miles and I never had a problem. I never even saw the "keep driving" message you get if you interrupt a regen enough, and I know I interrupted it a few times. It just picked back up and finished on the next drive with nary a notification or problem.

For the record, it's all in town and I got 23mpg on that drive stock, and get 26 now that I'm tuned.
F8LZ71 likes this.

2016 CCSB Duramax - 226hp/458tq
Tuned by Innovative Diesel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode