S&B Filters - 2.8L Duramax Intake Kit - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

S&B Filters - 2.8L Duramax Intake Kit

Hi guys,

I thought I'd start a new thread specifically for the new S&B Intake Kit for the 2.8L Duramax.

Price:$299
https://www.sbfilters.com/colorado-c...intake-75-5086

I have been working closely with the guys at S&B Filters for the past year using my truck as a prototype and test vehicle for them. They recently released the new kit to the public and I am currently running the very first one to leave the factory and enter into the real world. The pictures on the site are actually of my truck.

I am putting the new kit through it's paces and I wanted to report that so far it has been flawless. Quality is absolutely top notch American Made and the rear dual scoop makes for a really cool sound from the turbo.

DATA REPORT:

Miles driven to date: Approx. 600 miles

Pros:
MPG: Increased Up from 29 - 34 mpg (for the same trip/conditions as before HWY at 72 cruise control)
Torque: Increased in feel and pull throughout the entire RPM range. (No Dyno Numbers yet though)
Power: certainly feels a lot better than stock (No Dyno Numbers yet though)
Throttle Response: HUGE increase. (almost completely eliminated stock turbo lag)
Easy Install
Great value
Great looks
No codes thrown

Cons:
Slightly increased intake noise when driving city at mid throttle inputs.

I highly recommend this kit if you're in the market.

I'm posting a video to YouTube today to show how it works so keep an eye out. Same user name as here.
Subscribe for more updates.

Video Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=lVIPgK5uspQ

Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake cover shot.jpg (174.5 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by kevinkillsit; 05-22-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 PM

Garage
I like S&B, looks just like the AFE Magnum intake. Nice Price!

Be prepared, you are going to get blasted for your mileage and power gains by the stock air box crowd :)
kevinkillsit likes this.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock, Sports bar, Black 5" assist steps, EGT and Boost Gauge with custom bezel mount
AFE Magnum Intake and Bladerunner Hot/Cold side Kit
Duramaxtune DSP-4 Tuning
AFE Rebel side exit turbo back w/ Black tips

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:40 PM
KMW

Are there going to be before and after dyno graphs?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 PM

Garage
The additional fender port options are pretty neat!
kevinkillsit likes this.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock, Sports bar, Black 5" assist steps, EGT and Boost Gauge with custom bezel mount
Duramaxtune DSP-4 Tuning

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpositraction View Post

Be prepared, you are going to get blasted for your mileage and power gains by the stock air box crowd :)

5mpg gains from just an intake are pretty lofty, just saying...
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkillsit View Post
Hi guys,

I thought I'd start a new thread specifically for the new S&B Intake Kit for the 2.8L Duramax.

Price:$299
https://www.sbfilters.com/cold-air-i...ntake-75-5086d

I have been working closely with the guys at S&B Filters for the past year using my truck as a prototype and test vehicle for them. They recently released the new kit to the public and I am currently running the very first one to leave the factory and enter into the real world. The pictures on the site are actually of my truck.

I am putting the new kit through it's paces and I wanted to report that so far it has been flawless. Quality is absolutely top notch American Made and the rear dual scoop makes for a really cool sound from the turbo.

DATA REPORT:

Miels driven to date: Approx. 600 miles

Pros:
MPG: Increased Up from 29 - 34 mpg (for the same trip/conditions as before HWY at 72 cruise control)
Torque: Increased in feel and pull throughout the entire RPM range. (No Dyno Numbers yet though)
Power: certainly feels a lot better than stock (No Dyno Numbers yet though)
Throttle Response: HUGE increase. (almost completely eliminated stock turbo lag)
Easy Install
Great value
Great looks
No codes thrown

Cons:
Slightly increased intake noise when driving city at mid throttle inputs.

I highly recommend this kit if you're in the market.

I'm posting a video to YouTube today to show how it works so keep an eye out. Same user name as here.
Subscribe for more updates.

Video Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=lVIPgK5uspQ

Let me know if you have any questions.
The intake looks great! It just sucks that they won't sell it to anyone in california.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:28 PM

Garage
Is that a replaceable filter or one of the ones you clean and reuse?

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Yep. Proud member of the "stock air box crowd" here...
No offense, but I'm thinking the stated gains are greatly exaggerated. 5 mpg increase? Almost no turbo lag? I have no doubt it's a quality product but im having a real hard time with those claims.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:34 PM
KMW

I'm hoping they will show show before/after dyno graphs. "Feel" is sooooo subjective, but actual measured numbers are hard to argue with.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:48 PM

Cool

I've been working with them too and was thinking mine was gonna be the first one until they told me they'd been testing on another one and didn't get any CELs after 500 miles. Guess that was you lol. Oh well, I'm still the first with the K&N lol. Their previous attempt at it on my truck had it throwing a CEL pretty quickly so they needed to rework it and here we are! Love the way this intake looks. I like the way it sounds a little better than the K&N as well.

Here are my pics

out with the old:

In with the new:

kevinkillsit likes this.

Last edited by helgaiden; 05-19-2017 at 08:52 PM.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:22 PM

Appears promising...Looking forward to additional info.

Mike
kevinkillsit likes this.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 01:52 AM

Do you have raw data you can share?

No big deal if you don't have it. My guess is most of these performance gains are related to differences in the sound of the motor when you removed the stock air box and not actual increases in performance. The mpg increase is interesting though. For those mpg increases to be real (not that you did not see it, but that conditions were close enough to be comparable), it could only be a number of things.

1) GM mapped the engine tune with higher airflow, then put on a more restrictive airbox. This seems unlikely given that fuel economy standards are at least partially based on an average across all vehicles of a certain class for a given manufacturer. Maybe they are just sandbagging? It isn't unheard of that a manufacturer just gets it wrong and simply putting on a new intake makes the car more powerful AND increases mpg. It is incredibly rare though, especially for any vehicle that uses fuel injection.

2) After installing the airbox, you were more conscious of how you were driving and you are comparing real world numbers to your newer numbers where your awareness to how you were driving influenced your driving habits. You did say you were using cruise control, but for the record cruise control is not generally better for gas mileage. You usually get far worse mileage with cruise control because mpg is not part of the cruise control algorithm.

3) By putting on a higher flow intake system you are operating outside of the parameters that the system is designed for and are now running very lean (too much air vs fuel). When your engine runs lean, your engine runs hotter, might get better mpg, might make more power, might have pre-detonation issues, might have reliability issues.

To get benefits out of an intake swap on any fuel injected car, you generally need to get the engine re-tuned to take advantage of the increase airflow of the intake. Even then, it is usually not a major bump in HP, Torque or MPG. If there is a major gain after a tune it is usually because you have sacrificed some other perf or efficiency metric for one that you care more about, for example, sacrificing MPG for HP is very common.
Fubar2016 likes this.

Last edited by coloradoninja; 05-21-2017 at 01:54 AM.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 04:09 AM

Garage
Quote:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Why I was just telling Al Gore(the inventor of the internet) the other day, that thanks to him people are able to ̶c̶o̶n̶ enlighten thousands of their fellow internetors on the latest world-changing products to come down the pike.
One can NEVER discount the power of MAGIC!
Toughsox and Fubar2016 like this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 06:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to dmcdufford Send a message via MSN to dmcdufford
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoninja View Post
3) By putting on a higher flow intake system you are operating outside of the parameters that the system is designed for and are now running very lean (too much air vs fuel). When your engine runs lean, your engine runs hotter, might get better mpg, might make more power, might have pre-detonation issues, might have reliability issues.

To get benefits out of an intake swap on any fuel injected car, you generally need to get the engine re-tuned to take advantage of the increase airflow of the intake. Even then, it is usually not a major bump in HP, Torque or MPG. If there is a major gain after a tune it is usually because you have sacrificed some other perf or efficiency metric for one that you care more about, for example, sacrificing MPG for HP is very common.
I think you are confusing the characteristics of a gas engine with a diesel engine. A diesel engine's airflow is essentially constant with the fuel being the variable compared to a gas engine where the airflow is the main variable.

My perception is that the higher airflow in these Intake mods is the primarily the result of a more porous filter - which is not a good thing.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:32 AM

My experience with aftermarket intakes, is that often they do not show Dyno horsepower gaines, but in the real world they are notably more responsive. That's just hard to pick up on a dyno.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 05:53 PM

I can feel a difference under acceleration in the seat of my pants. Maybe a minor or subtle difference (for the better) in MPG.

Heres the Dyno sheet K&N ran on my truck.

Though im weirded out by how they show the torque graph/numbers.

https://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-3095_dyno.pdf
kevinkillsit likes this.

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 06:02 PM
KMW

You because they don't show the peak number like they do not? Looks like they were going for the point of highest gain on the torque. Nice to see the torque gain is down low where you want it at least.

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoninja View Post
Do you have raw data you can share?

No big deal if you don't have it. My guess is most of these performance gains are related to differences in the sound of the motor when you removed the stock air box and not actual increases in performance. The mpg increase is interesting though. For those mpg increases to be real (not that you did not see it, but that conditions were close enough to be comparable), it could only be a number of things.

1) GM mapped the engine tune with higher airflow, then put on a more restrictive airbox. This seems unlikely given that fuel economy standards are at least partially based on an average across all vehicles of a certain class for a given manufacturer. Maybe they are just sandbagging? It isn't unheard of that a manufacturer just gets it wrong and simply putting on a new intake makes the car more powerful AND increases mpg. It is incredibly rare though, especially for any vehicle that uses fuel injection.

2) After installing the airbox, you were more conscious of how you were driving and you are comparing real world numbers to your newer numbers where your awareness to how you were driving influenced your driving habits. You did say you were using cruise control, but for the record cruise control is not generally better for gas mileage. You usually get far worse mileage with cruise control because mpg is not part of the cruise control algorithm.

Not on a diesel.
kevinkillsit and MontanaSteve like this.

2016 CCSB Duramax

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMW View Post
Are there going to be before and after dyno graphs?

I don't know anyone with a Dyno so it's not likely I can contribute that information. Perhaps another person who installs it can do that for us, as I'm just as curious as you are. The guys at S&B focused more on increasing "airflow" which was determined to be increased by approximately 16.20% with this kit over stock. #airflowmatters is their current hashtag. All I can say is that it is noticeably more pronounced and alive now over how she used to feel stock.

Last edited by kevinkillsit; 05-22-2017 at 06:07 PM.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Why I was just telling Al Gore(the inventor of the internet) the other day, that thanks to him people are able to ̶c̶o̶n̶ enlighten thousands of their fellow internetors on the latest world-changing products to come down the pike.
One can NEVER discount the power of MAGIC!
LOL, I didn't mean I believe in a 5mpg increase, just anything as much as sneeze toward improved performance/efficiency usually ends up with someone coming in denying those claims.
yokev likes this.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Duramaxtune DSP-4 Tuning

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode