LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust brake

MIne does not appear to work. DEaler does not agree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust brake

Having a battle with dealer over exhaust brake. I say it doesn't work they say it does. I have driven diesels small and large for years and am mechanic so have pretty good idea. Tow haul works and i do get the downshifts but no sign of brake. I drive colorado mountains everyday so need the extra braking. What is everyone else seeing. Also whos the idiot that put exhaust brake with tow haul?? Very different functions not always used at same time
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kserkes View Post
MIne does not appear to work. DEaler does not agree
When coasting or slowing, lightly apply the brake. You should experiance downshifting and engine drag as your speed drops.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Thats true but that is the tow haul mode. No exhaust brake notd
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:03 PM

merged

2016 Brownstone Duramax Z71 View My Build

N00bs click here for free help

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kserkes View Post
Thats true but that is the tow haul mode. No exhaust brake notd
I think its combined, and the ex butterfly only chokes off when the revs are up. I think i get more breaking than just a open exaust downshift. With a smaller displacement motor, moves less air, so less impact choking off the exaust. My 2c anyway...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Has anybody figured out how to split the tow haul mode from exhaust brake. Separate switches??
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:08 PM

Garage
My experience -

I frequently travel to the N.C. mountains (Boone on Hwy 421 to be specific) and my trip home includes 4 miles of an 8% downward grade. The speed limit for vehicles is 55 (35 for large trucks). It has a few turnouts and runaway ramps so it can get pretty fun.

I set my cruise on 55 on the nose and enable the exhaust brake. With only one exception, my truck never goes above 57MPH and I only have to touch the brake pedal ONE time and that is for one specific curve that has a sign to reduce speed to 45. I touch the brake pedal to force the truck down to 50 but only for a moment, and enable cruise again right after the curve and I am still good for the rest of the 4 mile descent.

For the entire descent, the RPMs ride between 3,500-4,000 and I definately can "hear" the loud exhaust brake beyond the normal high-rev of lower gears.

In comparison, when I used to make this trip on my 2013 Camry (V6 auto) and my wife's 2013 Highlander (also V6), I could never do so without riding the brakes and dropping the gear shift down to keep speed reduced.

My experience FWIW.
Joedude likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel

Last edited by MTShipp; 06-18-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Corrected my RPM range
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:28 PM

Get on a long dowgrade. Pick a lower gear in manual mode that gets the rpm up a bit. When the speed is fairly steady, hit the exhaust brake. You will feel a sudden slowdown. No, it won't put you through the windshield. It's a smart exhaust brake and not the biggest diesel but it does the job well. I can tow a 4000 lb trailer down an 8% grade and never touch the brakes.
dmaxjr likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:21 AM

Garage
You feel the EB much more when towing, as stated above it is a smart EB and can sense when EB is needed, so if you are unloaded EB won't need to be as aggresive as when a trailer is pushing you down a grade. In B.C we also have the rockies and when towing over the passes the EB works fantastic, rarely have to touch the brake on long descents, makes for a more relaxed towing experience.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:38 AM

I agree, I notice it more when pulling a load. Otherwise not loaded, just sounds and feels like tow/haul downshifting.

2016 Z71 Midnight Edition Colorado w/ Duramax and Bose/Nav.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:49 AM

Interesting thread, My truck is in the dealer for a issue that may have been caused by the EB.
I was returning home from a 4200 mile trip out to Colorado towing my 21' ski boat.. cruise and EB were set coming down a long and fairly steep grade in Oregon. As the truck started to creep above the set cruise it automatically downshifted and I saw 5000 rpm momentarily... there was a loud pop .. cruise kicked off. I manually braked.. reset the EB and continued on. When I stopped at the next fuel stop I did notice a annoying chirping sound that changed with rpm.
According to the dealer the gasket between the head and exhaust manifold failed. It is being replaced under warranty.

On a side note, 4200 miles 3500lb boat and trailer 80-85 on the highway 18.2 mpg average .. and I was happy with all but the passing performance.
Truck now has 28,000 miles on it
Still very happy with the truck and the diesel and my Dealership.
HOLLYWOOD
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:06 PM

Per Duramax Manual, It's "Smart" EB. Amount of brake applied is based on load. Light load or empty, will not apply much, uses EB with Tow Haul downshifting. Says works best with cruise control active, which sounds like the experience reported here.
I looked this up when I got the truck because I also questioned whether or not it worked.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:17 PM

Not sure if this is related , but I have noticed that the transmission will downshift to enable breaking without using the EB .
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM

Garage
i thought the engine break only worked when in tow mode on the baby Duramax. Is there a button I missed? Or, are you guys using tow mode even when not towing?

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:26 PM

Garage
I have a short down hill run on the way to a friends house...40mph road,
when I am about 2/3 way down the hill I usually lift off the throttle and lightly apply the brake for a second (not in tow mode and not with the cruise turned on)
when I do this the revs jump to +3000 and the truck slows without me applying more brake...
when I get to the bottom of the hill and roll on throttle the engine rpm drop back to normal and I drive on.
this is my first diesel so, it is either crappy shift points or engine brake... either way it is repeatable and predictable so I assume it is a design feature. :)

Marching or Fighting....the pay is the same.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:31 PM

Just got my truck 2 days ago and in the flat lands of Florida, but I've got 2 buttons, haul mode, and some sort of hill descent mode. I still have to rtfm, but do you guys also have this second button?

Also what's the trick to putting it into manual shift mode?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFL View Post
Just got my truck 2 days ago and in the flat lands of Florida, but I've got 2 buttons, haul mode, and some sort of hill descent mode. I still have to rtfm, but do you guys also have this second button?

Also what's the trick to putting it into manual shift mode?
Hill descent works at low speeds for crawling down a hill without riding brakes on Z71's.

Pull the shifter back to "L". If you use it from a start, it acts like a normal auto up to highest gear you set to, so if you stop upshifting at 6th gear, it'll downshift on its own, but not upshift past 6th if driving normally. If you drop it in "L" while cruising, it'll drop into 6th, like a downshift to pass.

And Congratz on the new truck! Where's the pics.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode