Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Interior lights

41K views 102 replies 45 participants last post by  ENYPDE 
#1 ·
Who has changed the interiors on their 2nd Gen. I test drove a Silverado that had all LED interiors, and I am determined to change mine out. If you have, what bulbs were they, and any direction on how to access them, please and thanks.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Are the interior lights "instant on", or do they gradually come up to full brightness? The reason that I am asking is that a "constant current" LED replacement will not be dimmable, and that feature would be lost (they will be either on or off).

#11 ·
Thanks for doing the legwork on this. Can't wait to hear the first reviews.

#10 ·
I played around with the interior lights in my Canyon last night. The front lens came off pretty easy with a putty knife. I worked the knife along the back side by the switches first. There are some pretty delicate tabs in there. Then I removed the front closest to the mirror last. It appears all 5 interior lights are T10 size, or W5W. I ordered some bulbs up and will report back as to how they work.

#12 · (Edited)
I ended up ordering two different kind of T10 LEDS from JTech on Amazon. I liked the price better, and you get 10 in a pack. I got two kinds. One is a flatter type, about the size of a nickel. The other is a little longer, closer to the shape of the stockers. Both fit. The flat ones are a little more blue, and not quite as bright. I like them both. I put the flatter ones in the 2 rear locations, and the outside map lights in the front. I installed the brighter whiter one in the center front. Overall, very happy. They do both dim out just like the stocks too. Each pack is only $8 shipped for 10 each!

Flat more blue ones
Amazon.com: Jtech 10x T10 8-SMD White LED Car Lights Bulb W5W, 147, 152, 158, 159, 161, 168, 184, 192, 193, 194 2825: Automotive

Longer brighter more white ones
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00877SL2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

This first 2 pics show stock on left, flat blueish led on right.

The last pic has the 2 flat on the left, one whiter led on right.

#13 ·
I ended up ordering two different kind of T10 LEDS from JTech on Amazon. I liked the price better, and you get 10 in a pack. I got two kinds. One is a flatter type, about the size of a nickel. The other is a little longer, closer to the shape of the stockers. Both fit. The flat ones are a little more blue, and not quite as bright. I like them both. I put the flatter ones in the 2 rear locations, and the outside map lights in the front. I installed the brighter whiter one in the center front. Overall, very happy. They do both dim out just like the stocks too. Each pack is only $8 shipped for 10 each!

Flat more blue ones
Amazon.com: Jtech 10x T10 8-SMD White LED Car Lights Bulb W5W, 147, 152, 158, 159, 161, 168, 184, 192, 193, 194 2825: Automotive

Longer brighter more white ones
Amazon.com: Jtech 10x 194 168 2825 T10 5-SMD White LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive

This first 2 pics show stock on left, flat blueish led on right.

The last pic has the 2 flat on the left, one whiter led on right.

+1 On the write up! Thank you!

Do these bulbs replace all of the current interior bulbs? (Sun visor, bed lights, etc) Thanks!

#18 ·
For the price, order both. They are just enough different that you will be able to fine tune what you like. You will have enough extras for all the neighbors too lol. I installed 4 of the whiter ones in my wifes Saturn as it turned out she had T10's too. Makes it look so much classier at night. Wait until you can get the cab really dark to decide what color you like. I thought I liked the whiter ones until it got dark, and they were almost too bright for entry. Nice to have them in the 2 map lights though. Enjoy guys, I love the new "glow" every time I enter the truck at night now. One of those cheap mods that you see all the time and are glad you did.

#28 · (Edited)
Woot, just did mine. $20 bucks and maybe 10-15 minutes and done!! I actually used a credit card and gently pried the covers off. They really do just snap on and off, it was straight-forward. I actually took off the switch cover as well, accidently, but it enabled easier removal of the cover. My only take away, you'll need to make sure the lights are off (HOT BULB! LOL) and wiggle the bulbs out, unless you have very small fingers.

For the record I used [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRE38EA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame] and [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KUI13C6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Some pictures... sorry, not adept at posting this stuff.

http://s96.photobucket.com/user/iihuntyii/Truck Led Install/story

#41 ·
Woot, just did mine. $20 bucks and maybe 10-15 minutes and done!! I actually used a credit card and gently pried the covers off. They really do just snap on and off, it was straight-forward. I actually took off the switch cover as well, accidently, but it enabled easier removal of the cover. My only take away, you'll need to make sure the lights are off (HOT BULB! LOL) and wiggle the bulbs out, unless you have very small fingers.

Some pictures... sorry, not adept at posting this stuff.

Truck Led Install Story by Don Rawson (iihuntyii) | Photobucket
A big thanks for the photobucket pic's, wasn't sure if I needed to remove just the lens or lens with the trim. Your photos cleared that up so I didn't break something.....Again Thank you!!
Gary

#30 ·
Got mine installed tonight. Used: , and Amazon.com: Jtech 10x 194 168 2825 T10 5-SMD White LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive

Wish I'd gone brighter for the overheads. The LEDs are a definite improvement, but I would have liked a little more output.

You can pop the visor covers off with a small putty knife, or a credit card if you don't have a trim tool. Just pry them at the corners and they will pop loose.

#31 ·
You can pop the visor covers off with a small putty knife, or a credit card if you don't have a trim tool. Just pry them at the corners and they will pop loose.
When you say "they will pop loose," do you mean the entire housing of the light or just the white/clear middle part? I ask because the middle white/clear section basically has zero give around the edges to pry it out and I do not want to break something.

I appreciate your help.

#33 ·
I was able to pry off just the visor lenses when I got in there to find the type of bulb a few weeks ago. The tabs were on the flat parts of each lens, and I did it with a putty knife. Sounds like there are two ways to get it there.

#34 ·
To add, I was able to remove the switch housing easier, which allowed for really easy removal of the clear light housing. I used the same method, but with a credit card to pry around the edges until it would 'pop'.

#43 ·
Does anyone have any comments about how the Precision LED package compares to the ones listed in the thread that we can get off Amazon? Precision charges a bit of a premium which I'm OK with, but I want to make sure the quality is actually better for the price increase. My main objective in moving to LED lights is more brightness.

Here's the response I got from Precision when I asked, "We do not compare our products to our competitors so I cannot tell you what makes our superior because I do not know the competitors quality." although I did list the specific Amazon links for what I was considering.

#48 ·
I've done some further research and it seems the benefit to Precision LED's product is the type of bulb they use which also helps to explain the cost differential. They claim to use 5730 SMD whereas the ones from Cutequeen are either 5050 or 3528 SMD. The higher the SMD the more lumens or brightness (SMD LED Module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I think I'll wait until a Precision LED sale (based on their Facebook it happens pretty much every weekend, 15% off) and will place my order. Of course pics will follow by the time I get them and install (target mid-end April).

#50 ·
These are the ones I bought on Amazon. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OH0S5Y2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

They are 5630 SMD and super bright. They are also only 14 dollars for a 10 pack with overnight shipping. It was about another 6 bucks for the mirror lights.

#49 ·
Just a word of warning on lumens - I think mine (from Amazon) look great, but they're BRIGHT! I would not want to get ones any brighter. So, if you're thinking Precision LED because of brightness, just make sure that's what you really want.

#52 ·
I ordered these which are plenty bright for the cab and license plate holder imo. I couldn't see needing anymore light in the cab when domes and reading are turned on.

These are the ones I ordered for the vanity lights and I think they're too bright for me. The ladies seem to like it, but anything more and you'd blind yourself.lol.

I did some quick math between going the Precision LED kits or ordering them from Amazon.

Precision LED kits
6 LED (Dome/License) - 13.14 per LED
4 LED (Vanity) - 5.25 per LED
includes trim tool kit (similar to this, but this includes an additional piece.)

Total cost: $112.97 "special price" ($131.98 regular price wtflol)

Amazon choices
6 LED (Dome/License) (4 extra)- 1.30 per LED
4 LED (Vanity) (6 extra) - .70 per LED
does not include trim tool kit, but I'll include it to make it comparable. (I used a credit card)

Total cost: $24.97

I'm not trying to knock Precision LEDs hustle, I just don't see any additional value outside of doing the research (owners manual) for a customer to be able to look up the correct lights by model/year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.