My Rig - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 388Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 10:10 AM

What a great truck, just looking at it is making my heartbeat faster.
ocnblu and Tjdeerslayer37 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

A few random photos from some trails we were out exploring on
post #43 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 01:09 PM

Great thread. Keep it coming. Did you end up not going with a roof mount light bar? Or are you still going to do it? I saw your brackets but nothing after that... I've been waiting to see one with a curved light bar on the roof!

post #44 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 01:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly99 View Post
Put some 1 inch wheel spacers on it. Partly to alleviate some small rubbing the new wheels were doing and partly to give it a more aggressive stance. Turned out I had to cut about 1cm of off the lug nuts.
I just put the same size tires on my Colorado and was debating some spacers myself. Having the 1" spacer on your truck do you think that size is just right? I'm not reel keen on having to cut the lugs though. Do you think with the 1 1/4 spacer that can be avoided and would that be to much?

Ordered 6/16/15 - Arrived at dealer 8/4/15

2016 Black Crew Cab, Short Bed Z71 - 4x4, Trailering Package, 3" Off-Road Bars, Fender Flares, Black Bowties, Spray in Bedliner, Z71 All Weather Mats, Bose, Navigation.

Mods: Maxtrac 2 1/2" Leveling Kit, Goodyear Duratracs 255/75/17, 3M 50% Front Tint, AVS Aeroskin, Air Dam Delete, Access Bed Mat, Access Vanish Tonneau Cover. Diode Dynamics LED Map (cool blue) and Dome Lights (red), 3rd Brake and Vanity, K&N Air Filter.
post #45 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonJeffries View Post
Great thread. Keep it coming. Did you end up not going with a roof mount light bar? Or are you still going to do it? I saw your brackets but nothing after that... I've been waiting to see one with a curved light bar on the roof!
I am waiting to put aggressive steel bumpers and sliders on before I add the roof light bar. I have an appointment next week with a fabricator to discuss costs,design, etc of new bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I just put the same size tires on my Colorado and was debating some spacers myself. Having the 1" spacer on your truck do you think that size is just right? I'm not reel keen on having to cut the lugs though. Do you think with the 1 1/4 spacer that can be avoided and would that be to much?
I think with a 1.5 inch spacer you would not require cutting. A 1.25 would still require cutting of the bolts. The bolts that I cut for my 1 inch didnt require cutting into the thread, just the smooth nub that protrudes past the threads, hence why I wasn't concerned. This is with a 2 inch RC level kit.

The spacers alleviated rubbing on the sway bar (1 inch spacer with a 255/75/17 tire. Tire measures at 32 inch in height. Goodyear Duratrac).

I still have rubbing when cornering the odd time. I am installing a 1.25 body lift in an attempt to alleviate this rubbing.

I believe I said this before...GM screwed up by making the wheels wells to small.

Once these tires burn out (a year or two from now) I will be cutting the wheel wells open and refabricating the liners as I will want larger tires (33-35). Hopefully others do this before me so I can learn from their mistakes
Rocket likes this.
post #46 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 10:22 AM

PM'd about the cold air, very nice looking truck btw.

2015 Red Rock Metallic Crew Cab Short Box Colorado LT 4x4
Spare Wheel/Air Dam/Badge Delete
265/65R18 Wrangler Duratracs
Rhino Lining
Stubby Jr.
Tint
post #47 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Installed the 1.25 body lift to alleviate the last bit of rubbing on the front wheel. Worked..sort of. Tires no longer rub the wheel wells but now they rub the plastic from the "mud guards" behind the front wheel. A dremel will fix this (I hope).

A lot of bolts, clips and screws to get the front bumper removed.

I was surprised at how much dirt/mud was behind the fender flares. Mud=rust so I now realize these will have to be removed and re installed (new tape each time, arg) on a regular basis each winter/spring.

Added the RC light bar at the same time. Pretty darned impressive how much light it throws. A worth while purchase for sure.

Sliders built and measured for size. Welded after these photos and currently on their way to a powder coater. Decided to use a bolt on approach so I can have them refinished in a few years. The drivers side is a bit of a pita due to the brake lines.

Next up...bumpers. The design is something I want to take my time with. I am thinking a pre runner style with the gaps filled with aluminum. A recessed slot for the light bar and a winch installed. The look is one factor and the other is ease of removal for maintenance on the winch, etc. Will likely add some decent skid plates at the same time as the factory plastic "skid plate" is a joke for offroading.

For the rear bumpers, will keep the same theme as the front, maybe have the tubes come around and protect the rear quarter panels. A full size spare is the near future and will become bed mounted. Down the road I will likely have the roof cut off and add an interior roll cage, at which point I will ditch the rear seats and mount the spare in its place. I have hopes of racing this truck in Baja (rally raid races) where a roll cage and 5 point harnesses are required). But thats a couple of years away. Anyways, where was I ? Oh ya the rear bumper. Going to relocated the hitch to have it hidden behind the license plate (more ground clearance). I will also modify the exhaust (again) and have it come straight out of the bumper (in a cut out hole). Rear tire removed and exhaust rerouted along with a an extra inch of height to the bumper should offer a decent departure angle. Dual exhaust pipes maybe?

Moving houses in 2 weeks so truck build going on hold until we are settled. Bumpers early in the new year is a conservative guess. From now until then I need to get the thoughts out of my head and onto paper. Hopefully get the shocks installed this week.

23 km on the odo
post #48 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 10:26 AM

Garage
Man I dig those sliders. Any chance on making me a raw set?
Devilmonkey and Kirk Kreator like this.

post #49 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduran1 View Post
Man I dig those sliders. Any chance on making me a raw set?
If your local to Ottawa, Ontario? Guessing not as there are palm trees in your photo above.

Its a dude who made them for me, he has a small company setup and won't ship. Cool cause you get to be involved and design it. He charged me $450 for these which includes the powder coater. Shipping metal=not worth it Any fabricator with a shop could make you a set, the key is getting someone who listens to what you want and doesn't mind you being there during the build to ensure everything is to your liking. I am fortunate in this regards to have this fellow around the corner from me.

Last edited by deadly99; 08-24-2015 at 10:55 AM.
post #50 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 11:03 AM

Garage
Nope, located in Socal.
Love the design.
I'll have to find someone in my area to see if they can setup something similar.
Thanks man.

post #51 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 10:07 PM

Looks good, great job on the sliders.
It's nice to have a shop like that near by, when I designed and had my bumper built the shop was not so near, ended up making the 3 1/2 hour trip several times to get some of the design implemented. In the end it was not as designed but, turned out ok.
Still thinking about finding a shop closer and getting the original design built.

Waiting to see you bumper design...

2014 Colorado Z71 4X4 (Global) CCSB | 2.8 Duramax diesel, 6 speed auto | 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 1.25" OME leveling w/Nitro shocks (no spacer) | CB-773 Sport bar | MCC rocker bar, frame mounted | Custom steel front bumper w/Warn winch and LED lite bar | 1.5" coil shock spacer, total actual front lift 4", new UCAs, Diff drop, 2" block in back | Skid plates | Fender flares
post #52 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:40 AM

Garage
Hey Deadly...what is the part number for the Light bar mounts from Addictive Desert Designs. I can't seem to locate the part on their website. Also, how did you install those mounts?

post #53 of 376 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I bought the ones for a Sierra. They fit 99% perfect (YMMV). I haven't attached them yet but they came with rivets
post #54 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 10:02 AM

Garage
Loving this thread. Keep up the great work!
post #55 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:45 PM

Garage
deadly99, do you know of anywhere towards the (very crappy) toronto area to go offroading? just looking for some easy trails my truck is all stock and i dont want to be beat it up!

2015 red hot ext cab z71
post #56 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew24 View Post
deadly99, do you know of anywhere towards the (very crappy) toronto area to go offroading? just looking for some easy trails my truck is all stock and i dont want to be beat it up!

There are some decent ones up in Bobcaygen. Lots here around Ottawa if you ever make it this way I'd show ya around for a day. Highly recommend removing the air deflector under the bumper for even easy trails.
post #57 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Sliders are installed. I feel they really give the truck a finished look and the added protection is great.

post #58 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 11:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
There are some decent ones up in Bobcaygen. Lots here around Ottawa if you ever make it this way I'd show ya around for a day. Highly recommend removing the air deflector under the bumper for even easy trails.
alright man sounds good, should definitely try and set somthing up. i actually pulled it off 3 days after i bought the truck looks so much nicer! im headed out to my buddies farm today should get a bit of dirt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150807_200211.jpg (298.2 KB, 234 views)

2015 red hot ext cab z71
post #59 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Light bar is amazing

Not much else done to the truck lately. Just rolled 26k on the odo

A bunch of trails ridden, next week I'm in a 2 day gps navigation rally. Mostly trails, some dirt roads for 500 km a day. Should be a good test for the truck.

TexazReece likes this.
post #60 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Dual exhaust pipes maybe?
There is currently a Magnaflow dual exhaust system for the twins a guy from around kemptville is selling on kijiji for $350 ($930 system new w/ receipt). I had planned on buying it but decided against it last minute. Not sure if you're looking for a bolt on system or custom but figured I'd pass the word on. He seems like a real nice dude. Cheers.

2015 Red Rock Metallic Crew Cab Short Box Colorado LT 4x4
Spare Wheel/Air Dam/Badge Delete
265/65R18 Wrangler Duratracs
Rhino Lining
Stubby Jr.
Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode