My Rig - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 388Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

My Rig

Just a few photos of my truck. Added the 2 inch rough country lift the other day and removed the air scoop from the bumper.

Nothing crazy just bombing around on some local trails (near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada).

I've got about 6000 km on it now. Did the Trifecta tune a couple of weeks ago (awesome). Heads in for some warranty work next week. Seat recall, loose hood, strip on roof on the drivers side is loose, drivers seat seems to have some issue with one of the reclining locations and its the one I'd like to use so I am either to far forward or to far reclined, the tape that holds the wheel flare has come loose and the drivers side heated seat doesn't work. Hopefully they sort it all out. All in all I am digging the truck so far and hope to drive it for many years to come.
ocnblu, Jayhawk, mango87 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by deadly99; 05-12-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 08:20 PM

Garage
great looking truck. hopefully your issues get taken care of.
post #3 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 08:42 PM

Garage

post #4 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Out exploring some trails today

post #5 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 03:13 PM

Garage
Looks like an enjoyable ride.
post #6 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 01:53 PM

Looks like fun, I take it that it performed well?
post #7 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR7985 View Post
Looks like fun, I take it that it performed well?
Ya no issues. My last truck had a Camberg Long Travel suspension setup so my speeds had to be reduced compared to that...but thats expected. The stock tires meant shying away from any deep mud. The truck had no issues climbing a few decent hills.

All in all it makes for a nice trail rig, just narrow enough not to get too scratched from branches. I sort of plan on abusing the truck...and until it gets better tires and a snorkel I am limited to easy dry trails. Not a bad thing as I still have 58 payments left

Photos always make hills look lame but this one and a few others were quite steep. Truck simply crawled up them

DanR7985 likes this.

Last edited by deadly99; 05-19-2015 at 09:54 AM.
post #8 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:57 AM

Glad to hear it. I would eventually like to get some Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires, and maybe a small lift, but that is a little ways down the road. I look forward to seeing your offroad pics as I would like to set mine up as a minor expedition rig.
post #9 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Expo rig is where I am headed with mine. Capable of trail driving but not mud bogging and rock crawling. This was the whole reason I picked this truck as opposed to a Jeep JKU...proper road manners along with some "light" off road travel.

On the list is tires, a capper, relocate spare tire and a roof basket on the capper.

A buddy and I are planning a cross continent ( LINK ) off road and back roads trip next season. So I have 12 months to get the rig ready. Might have to start selling off some other toys sadly.

I just pulled the trigger on some recovery gear (D links, hitch point, straps, sand/mud ramps, etc).

I have been riding motorcycles as overland vehicles for the last decade and the cost of getting a truck ready as opposed to a bike is staggering

Last edited by deadly99; 05-19-2015 at 01:11 PM.
post #10 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 PM

Whenever the goodyears wear out on mine I plan up getting the BFGoodrich ATs at some point for a bit better muddy grip. Nothing super aggressive since this is still my daily driver but should help a bit if I need to wade through muddy fields.
TdBart likes this.
post #11 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly99 View Post
Expo rig is where I am headed with mine. Capable of trail driving but not mud bogging and rock crawling. This was the whole reason I picked this truck as opposed to a Jeep JKU...proper road manners along with some "light" off road travel.

On the list is tires, a capper, relocate spare tire and a roof basket on the capper.

A buddy and I are planning a cross continent ( LINK ) off road and back roads trip next season. So I have 12 months to get the rig ready. Might have to start selling off some other toys sadly.

I just pulled the trigger on some recovery gear (D links, hitch point, straps, sand/mud ramps, etc).

I have been riding motorcycles as overland vehicles for the last decade and the cost of getting a truck ready as opposed to a bike is staggering
I'm a member over ExPo as well. I'm an idiot. I was following your thread over there although I haven't posted since I don't really post much. I thought the pictures looked similar and then I saw the usernames were the same here and there. Go figure right?
post #12 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targ24 View Post
Whenever the goodyears wear out on mine I plan up getting the BFGoodrich ATs at some point for a bit better muddy grip. Nothing super aggressive since this is still my daily driver but should help a bit if I need to wade through muddy fields.
That is why I was going to get the ST Maxx tires. I was debating between those and the Duratracs. I personally don't care for BFG AT tires. An aggressive all terrain is best for my needs. Once my CJ5 is finished getting restored that will have mud tires on it.
post #13 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:26 PM

Great looking truck. Glad someone uses it how it's meant to be. I'm 20 and will be ordering mine in about 6 months and you best bet I'm gunna take it on every trail I can find. P.s. one of your pics in now my background for my laptop haha
post #14 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That is why I was going to get the ST Maxx tires. I was debating between those and the Duratracs. I personally don't care for BFG AT tires. An aggressive all terrain is best for my needs. Once my CJ5 is finished getting restored that will have mud tires on it.
Is a cj5 ever finished?

;)

I had a 1978 as my only vehicle for almost 8 years. What a love/hate relationship I had with that thing. I put a fiberglass tub body on it, rebuilt the tranny and motor. Saved for 3 years for the engine rebuild then on the way home after having the engine done I decided to hit a local wheeling place and cracked the frame in half. It then sat for 12 months while I saved up for a second hand frame. I can't even remember how many times and places that Jeep left me stranded....**** I still miss it :)
drewabbs likes this.
post #15 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Is a cj5 ever finished?

;)

I had a 1978 as my only vehicle for almost 8 years. What a love/hate relationship I had with that thing. I put a fiberglass tub body on it, rebuilt the tranny and motor. Saved for 3 years for the engine rebuild then on the way home after having the engine done I decided to hit a local wheeling place and cracked the frame in half. It then sat for 12 months while I saved up for a second hand frame. I can't even remember how many times and places that Jeep left me stranded....**** I still miss it :)
Mine is a 1964 won't get wheeled very hard. It was my dad's and I conned him out of it when I was about 9. Once I got a little older he and I started to restore it. He then got sick so we were never able to finish it. Fast forward almost 15-20 years and I get married and her uncle restores Jeeps. He is helping me.

It is a frame off restore. So far I have pulled the old F-head 4 cylinder out, dropped the Buick Dauntless V6 in it along with the entire drivetrain, I have gathered all the parts to add on power steering (man the rear exit driver side exhaust manifold was hard to find and not cheap), a mild Pro Comp suspension lift, added a kit that would essentially put the tie rod on top of the factory knuckles, relocate the gas tank to under the cargo area instead of under the driver seat, and I have started acquiring parts for a tilt steering wheel and hanging pedals. The next step however is going to hurt financially. I am going to order a full fiberglass body from Shell Valley. Salt is not your friend in the rust belt. I was hoping it would get done this year, but things have happened that it will probably be next year sometime.
base587 likes this.
post #16 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Power steering...that's like cheating :)

When I installed the fiberglass tub it fit, sort of. That is to say it was a mm off here and there and this small margin made a big difference over time. Just small annoying things but they added up to a lot of frustration over the years. What was cool was having all the components mounted on to the tub, made working under the hood a breeze having everything isolated.

Back to the Canyon...ordered a set of 1 inch bora wheel spacers in anticipation of buying a set of tires soon:
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
LT265/70R17 121Q

The tires are a 31.7 inch tire. Hoping the wheel spacer alleviates the rubbing on the sway bar. I don't mind trimming the cardboard stuff inside the wheel well but cutting into the sheet medal isn't something I want to get into. Tell ya what, the engineers at GM screwed up by not making the wheel wells larger so we could fit larger tires...reading threw the forums trying to decide on a tire size is a mess. Some folks say no rubbing (doubt these folks go off road or flex the suspension), others have 3 inch suspension kits and have rubbing issues (I suspect the extra inch of flex adds more to the issue than not), some folks say minor rubbing and they will live with it, etc, etc, etc

Based on nothing more than trying to read between the lines I hope this tire/spacer combo works....fingers crossed!!

This video has me a bit nervous....hoping it was a one off issue. I will wait until the spacers show up before buying the tires.

https://youtu.be/5MUac4_un10

Last edited by deadly99; 05-20-2015 at 09:50 AM.
post #17 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 10:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Glad to hear it. I would eventually like to get some Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires, and maybe a small lift, but that is a little ways down the road. I look forward to seeing your offroad pics as I would like to set mine up as a minor expedition rig.
Be careful, those specific tires run large (width and height) compared to other vendors. Even with a 3" lift (body and leveler) I rubbed on 285/70R17. You will need to stay at the 265s to fit with a decent sized leveler lift.

Love the tires (i have the Mickey T versions), but they are mudders that have a little AT in them, not ATs that have a little mudder in them.
skmechanic likes this.
post #18 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabbs View Post
Be careful, those specific tires run large (width and height) compared to other vendors. Even with a 3" lift (body and leveler) I rubbed on 285/70R17. You will need to stay at the 265s to fit with a decent sized leveler lift.

Love the tires (i have the Mickey T versions), but they are mudders that have a little AT in them, not ATs that have a little mudder in them.
Those were high on my list as were the Nitto Trail Grabbers, available sizes (as you say checked out each vendors website for sizing and a 265/70/17 varies quite dramatically between vendors and even between each tire a vendor sells).

The Duratrac were the only ones I could find that had some mud capabilities (much less the above two mentioned but better than other AT's) and came in close to a 31.5 inch max height.

No doubt I am bit disappointed as I was hoping to put 33's on the truck and still be able to flex it without issue, sadly not the case with this truck. Not the end of the world but the extra ground clearance would have been nice.

I'd be very interested to see detailed photos on folks who cut their inner fenders open to fit larger tires. Not something I want to do this year but down the road...maybe. I refuse to put a body lift on the truck, I've been down that road in the past and don't wish to go there again.
post #19 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Nitto Trail Grabbers

The Duratrac were the only ones I could find that had some mud capabilities ....

....I was hoping to put 33's on the truck and still be able to flex it without issue, sadly not the case with this truck. Not the end of the world but the extra ground clearance would have been nice.

I'd be very interested to see detailed photos on folks who cut their inner fenders open to fit larger tires. Not something I want to do this year but down the road...maybe. I refuse to put a body lift on the truck, I've been down that road in the past and don't wish to go there again.
You will like the Duratracs they wear in very nicely. My wife has the Nitto 37s on her Jeep and loved them. They get loud in the last 20k though. Probably going to move her over to the ATZs.

Agree with you on the need to keep the size smaller, I am probably going to drop to 275s this week (KO2s) with a 4mm spacer to rid myself of any fears of rubbing while flexing.

And I would agree with you on the body lift, except for this model seems to need it. I did a very minor Spacer (Rough Country 1.25") and the kits have come a very long way since the days of cinder blocks and hockey pucks. I would ponder a small body lift before you start cutting fenders imo, but to each their own.

Its scary, even the 265s were needed to be cut:
http://coloradofans.com/forums/193-t...completed.html
post #20 of 376 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Power steering...that's like cheating :)
Cheat to win
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode