Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

My Rig

214K views 484 replies 106 participants last post by  Tundra_David 
#1 · (Edited)
Just a few photos of my truck. Added the 2 inch rough country lift the other day and removed the air scoop from the bumper.

Nothing crazy just bombing around on some local trails (near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada).

I've got about 6000 km on it now. Did the Trifecta tune a couple of weeks ago (awesome). Heads in for some warranty work next week. Seat recall, loose hood, strip on roof on the drivers side is loose, drivers seat seems to have some issue with one of the reclining locations and its the one I'd like to use so I am either to far forward or to far reclined, the tape that holds the wheel flare has come loose and the drivers side heated seat doesn't work. Hopefully they sort it all out. All in all I am digging the truck so far and hope to drive it for many years to come.

See less See more
#6 ·
Looks like fun, I take it that it performed well?

#7 · (Edited)
Ya no issues. My last truck had a Camberg Long Travel suspension setup so my speeds had to be reduced compared to that...but thats expected. The stock tires meant shying away from any deep mud. The truck had no issues climbing a few decent hills.

All in all it makes for a nice trail rig, just narrow enough not to get too scratched from branches. I sort of plan on abusing the truck...and until it gets better tires and a snorkel I am limited to easy dry trails. Not a bad thing as I still have 58 payments left :smile2:

Photos always make hills look lame but this one and a few others were quite steep. Truck simply crawled up them

#8 ·
Glad to hear it. I would eventually like to get some Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires, and maybe a small lift, but that is a little ways down the road. I look forward to seeing your offroad pics as I would like to set mine up as a minor expedition rig.

#17 ·
Be careful, those specific tires run large (width and height) compared to other vendors. Even with a 3" lift (body and leveler) I rubbed on 285/70R17. You will need to stay at the 265s to fit with a decent sized leveler lift.

Love the tires (i have the Mickey T versions), but they are mudders that have a little AT in them, not ATs that have a little mudder in them.

#9 · (Edited)
Expo rig is where I am headed with mine. Capable of trail driving but not mud bogging and rock crawling. This was the whole reason I picked this truck as opposed to a Jeep JKU...proper road manners along with some "light" off road travel.

On the list is tires, a capper, relocate spare tire and a roof basket on the capper.

A buddy and I are planning a cross continent ( LINK ) off road and back roads trip next season. So I have 12 months to get the rig ready. Might have to start selling off some other toys sadly.

I just pulled the trigger on some recovery gear (D links, hitch point, straps, sand/mud ramps, etc).

I have been riding motorcycles as overland vehicles for the last decade and the cost of getting a truck ready as opposed to a bike is staggering

#11 ·
I'm a member over ExPo as well. I'm an idiot. I was following your thread over there although I haven't posted since I don't really post much. I thought the pictures looked similar and then I saw the usernames were the same here and there. Go figure right?

#12 ·
That is why I was going to get the ST Maxx tires. I was debating between those and the Duratracs. I personally don't care for BFG AT tires. An aggressive all terrain is best for my needs. Once my CJ5 is finished getting restored that will have mud tires on it.

#16 · (Edited)
Power steering...that's like cheating :)

When I installed the fiberglass tub it fit, sort of. That is to say it was a mm off here and there and this small margin made a big difference over time. Just small annoying things but they added up to a lot of frustration over the years. What was cool was having all the components mounted on to the tub, made working under the hood a breeze having everything isolated.

Back to the Canyon...ordered a set of 1 inch bora wheel spacers in anticipation of buying a set of tires soon:
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
LT265/70R17 121Q

The tires are a 31.7 inch tire. Hoping the wheel spacer alleviates the rubbing on the sway bar. I don't mind trimming the cardboard stuff inside the wheel well but cutting into the sheet medal isn't something I want to get into. Tell ya what, the engineers at GM screwed up by not making the wheel wells larger so we could fit larger tires...reading threw the forums trying to decide on a tire size is a mess. Some folks say no rubbing (doubt these folks go off road or flex the suspension), others have 3 inch suspension kits and have rubbing issues (I suspect the extra inch of flex adds more to the issue than not), some folks say minor rubbing and they will live with it, etc, etc, etc

Based on nothing more than trying to read between the lines I hope this tire/spacer combo works....fingers crossed!!

This video has me a bit nervous....hoping it was a one off issue. I will wait until the spacers show up before buying the tires.

https://youtu.be/5MUac4_un10

#24 ·
K&N CAI showed up today.
Friday I drop the truck off to have a Borla muffler installed and a set of Duratracs installed. I decided on a 255 75 17. 32 inch diameter and same width as stock tires. Also have a one inch spacers on order from Borla to give the truck a wider stance and Potentially alleviate any rubbing the tires may produce. Worst scenario is some wheel well massaging, hopefully not required though.

Exciting week ahead for my rig :)

#25 · (Edited)
Borla muffler installed. Stoked it's not stupid loud. Gives the truck a nice sound. Cruising down the highway there is barely a difference. 3000 rpm and up and there is definitely a sound difference. No drone.

Tires installed, no notable rubbing. I am very surprised how quiet the Duratracs are. The increase in size is great and makes the truck look like a truck.

Pouring rain outside so no photos today.

K&N will be installed when I get a chance this weekend.

Still waiting on the 1 inch wheel spacers and an led light bar for the front grill.

Ordered a set of led roof light bar mounts from Addictive Desert Designs. I'll modify them to fit, then intend to add a curved 42 inch bar on the roof.

Still debating a tonneau cover with a rack above it (for spare tire, traction ramps, shovel, etc) versus a cab high topper with a rack on the top (means spare will get mounted to the floor of the box...and roof cage would be used for lighter stuff like recovery gear).

Drivers side rear axle seal is leaking, so it heads to the dealer Thursday. Oil change an alignment and a few odds and ends will also be done.

11, 300 km on the truck now.

Hoping to give it a decent shake down run in a couple of weeks on a 2-3 day offroad run.

#27 ·
Had the truck at the dealers yeterday. Alignment done, drivers rear door handle wouldnt quite close with a push...they ordered, painted and installed a new one. Rear drivers side exle seal was leaking, ordered and installed a new one. First oil change done at 13, 000 km, some trim was lose and replacement were ordered. Small stuff but annoying...at least the dealership is cool about it.

Put some 1 inch wheel spacers on it. Partly to alleviate some small rubbing the new wheels were doing and partly to give it a more aggressive stance. Turned out I had to cut about 1cm of off the lug nuts.

#44 ·
Put some 1 inch wheel spacers on it. Partly to alleviate some small rubbing the new wheels were doing and partly to give it a more aggressive stance. Turned out I had to cut about 1cm of off the lug nuts.
I just put the same size tires on my Colorado and was debating some spacers myself. Having the 1" spacer on your truck do you think that size is just right? I'm not reel keen on having to cut the lugs though. Do you think with the 1 1/4 spacer that can be avoided and would that be to much?

#28 ·
Installed a K&N cai this morning. Certainly gave it some sound...much louder than I was expecting. I'll run it for a couple of weeks before I make the final verdict on whether it stays in. Might be just in my head but it seems like it made the throttle a bit more responsive.

#30 ·
Any chance we could get a video with the sound of the CAI? I am interested in one, and I don't mind a little noise, but I don't want obnoxiously loud.

#31 ·
Sorry Dan, I already took it off. There is certainly an increase in engine sound and a nice sound on heavy acceleration. My wife...well....she called me an idiot and said no way :)

Shoot me a message if you want it, I'll give you a good deal on it. Used for less than 80 miles.

#32 ·
I appreciate the gesture, but I can't do it right now. Too many irons in the fire.

#35 · (Edited)
Awesome truck man. Looking to go a similar route with my mods... Adding fender flares, tires and maybe the zone body lift to make a 2.75" with the leveling I already have on. Debating between 265 70s with my level or 285 70 / 255 75 with the combo kit.

Can you post a link to the exhaust? Video perhaps??

Why do you recommend not getting the body lift to do the 2.75" combo kit by zone?

#39 ·
Great work.

Now all I need you to do is simple:

1. Clean truck,
2. Go mudding like the picture earlier.
3. Take pics of mud on side of truck.
4. Clean truck again.
5. Install those Weathertech mud flaps, front & rear.
6. Go mudding again.
7. Take pics.
8. Post both sets of pics, before & after the Weathertech mud flaps.

I would really like some simple camping option, but if I installed the tent above my bed like you did, I would roll out of the tent one morning and fall 4 feet and break some of these old bones of mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.