Kaiser's Red Rock - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By kaiser67

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Kaiser's Red Rock

I never did a new member thread or anything and had my Colorado for several months now so thought I would start a build thread and show everyone my, what I think is pretty cool, truck.

Picked up late April/early May.
2016 Chevy Colorado Red Rock
LT v6 4x4 crew cab and short bed.
Only package I got with purchase was the towing.

Drove it home from the dealer and immediately left for over week vacation and returned to drive a 400 mile each way miny roadtrip to Vermont to see my brothers graduation.
Lived just outside Boston, Mass when I got it and now moved ~40 miles away to central Mass. Still work just north of Boston so have a 45 miles commute each way plus go to class at night couple days of the week. Racked up over 11k miles already!

Coming from a small, standard, sports car, it's much nicer driving in traffic now and being able to use the vehicle for so much more. Used it extensively while moving and also helped both siblings move. Camping and other activities are much easier now as well. Also going to be towing my parents 25ft pontoon boat soon as they don't have a vehicle able to tow it.
Overall getting mid 20's avg mpg which I'm pretty happy with. Excited to have some fun with the eventual snow and being able to handle it better!

Anyway, started making my mark on it as soon as I got it. Started with the easy stuff, removing the stupid dealer logos and upgrading the head lights with some Sylvannia Ultras low and high and added a K&N drop-in filter. Also put some LED's in the reverse, cargo and license lights.
Next I added some protection to the door sills with some of the stick on saftey step stuff. Looks almost factory imo and adds some protection from shoes and everything.
Changed out the arm rest with the leather Canyon cover.
Put a roll-up tonneau cover on with Dee Zee bed mat and factory tailgate protector. Also added some bull rings to help with cargo.
Plasti-dipped the emblems and soon will wrap the bowties.
Most recent was Westin steps that I like and help with my girlfriend getting in and out.
And by far the best mod so far is the Trifecta tune! Such a different vehicle with it and boy does the Colorado need it. Very happy with that.

Future plans:
Coming soon some Husky floor mats Done
Also soon will be wrapping interior trim to a CF look
Change the front grill and possibly head lights.
Add some small LED units front and rear. Done
I like the aftermarket tail lights but not a priority.
Eventually some different wheels will complete the look.
I'm sure there will be multiple small mods in between.

Pictures:
When I first got it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160512_141211.jpg (304.5 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 20160515_112752.jpg (287.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 20160522_154642.jpg (352.9 KB, 140 views)
WOT-Tuning and Dmax16 like this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Pro-Truck Sport RHA shocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo TruXport roll-up tonneau, Bull rings, SilverStar, Osram Zevo LED, Westin Pro Traxx steps, Fog Lights w/JDMastar LED, Rear LED pods, Husky Liner floor mats, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To

Last edited by kaiser67; 11-17-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Moving and bed mat and stuff

That was fun driving 250 miles down the highway with stuff higher than the cab to middle of nowhere Maine.

Also got a good wax and seal in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160525_184850.jpg (315.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 20160618_103231.jpg (367.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 20160619_163038.jpg (248.3 KB, 106 views)

Eibach Pro-Truck Sport RHA shocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo TruXport roll-up tonneau, Bull rings, SilverStar, Osram Zevo LED, Westin Pro Traxx steps, Fog Lights w/JDMastar LED, Rear LED pods, Husky Liner floor mats, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread

Last edited by kaiser67; 09-16-2016 at 01:37 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Love the tonneau cover. Easy install, easy to use and still allows full use of the bed. Like that it basically makes the bed into a big ol lockable trunk!
Armrest is muuuuch better than the stock and a lot easier on my elbow. Makes for a more enjoyable commute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160624_174302.jpg (500.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 20160624_174320.jpg (496.5 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 20160812_162225.jpg (257.5 KB, 133 views)

My build thread

Last edited by kaiser67; 09-16-2016 at 01:46 PM.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Helped my dad get his boat out of the water, beautiful fall day in NH, couldn't have asked for better. Boat is so much bigger than I thought. Was definitely noticeable behind the Colorado. Towed it like a champ, mileage dropped to mid teens though. Like pulling a 30ft sail

Will have some more updates soon including: plasti-dipped chrome grill, fog lights and rear LED pods added with custom switches. Exhaust tip coming soon

My build thread

Last edited by kaiser67; 10-19-2016 at 03:51 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:44 PM

I have a 2016 Canyon and I still don't think the arm rest is padded enough. On long drives my elbow starts hurting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR3V0RJ0HNS0N View Post
I have a 2016 Canyon and I still don't think the arm rest is padded enough. On long drives my elbow starts hurting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, it doesn't seem like there is any padding underneath the leatherette but compared to the hard plastic of the regular LT one, it's a lot better.
Plus it looks nicer than that hard plastic too

My build thread
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Updates!
Pulled the trigger on some Husky Liners before we start getting the white stuff. I really like them, look good and have a nice feel. They aren't too slick like some other all weather mats I've had. Will be nice to keep the inside clean during the winter.

Also put on a black exhaust tip just for some extra pizzaz

Wired up fog light install and rear LED pods. Mounted switches on the card holder next to the steering wheel. Both look nice and work great. Swapped the fog bulbs for some LED and holy cow they're bright! When I was installing, took the time to plastidip the front grill to a black along with the fog bezels.
(Link to how-to in sig below)

Coming along nicely. Looking forward to some snow so I can play around a little :)

Finished black grill and fogs

LED pods

Exhaust tip

My build thread
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:11 AM

Looks good! Can you post pictures of your switch and maybe some details about it? When I start adding light bars to my truck for off-roading / overlanding, I want to setup a group of switches but havent really researched too much.

2016 Black Colorado Z71 4x4

- Current Mods: Air Dam Delete; WeatherTech floor liners; LED Bed-Lighting Mod;

- Planned Mods: 1.75"-3" Icon Vehicle Dynamics Coilover stage 2 lift; BFG KO2 32" A/T; LED Light bars; Mud flaps; More stuff. Haven't decided yet.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell_hau5_caffy View Post
Looks good! Can you post pictures of your switch and maybe some details about it? When I start adding light bars to my truck for off-roading / overlanding, I want to setup a group of switches but havent really researched too much.
I just cut a hole in the card holder next to the steering wheel (where the integrated brake controller would go) and put a two rocker switch panel in it. Glued it in place and put some sugru around the edge to try and blend it but that didn't come out great. Maybe down the road use some body filler or something that could be shaped and sanded better and then paint it. Looking at it now, I think it would have actually looked better just keeping the panel as is, oh well, I'll do something to it later.
Did require a lot more trimming of the switch panel behind the trim piece than I would have thought, a 1/4 in more to the left would fit better in the hole.

You can also check out this thread, a lot of good ideas and nice setups.

Here's what it looks like:

This picture, the panel is upside down but like I said, an 1/4in more towards the right of the picture would fit nicer without trimming behind and would have looked better keeping it like that.

My build thread

Last edited by kaiser67; 11-21-2016 at 03:27 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

I did finally manage to clean up the wiring in the engine bay for the fogs and LED pods.
Got a fuse panel and grounding plate to clean it all up and make it easier for future expansion.

My build thread
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
I just cut a hole in the card holder next to the steering wheel (where the integrated brake controller would go) and put a two rocker switch panel in it. Glued it in place and put some sugru around the edge to try and blend it but that didn't come out great. Maybe down the road use some body filler or something that could be shaped and sanded better and then paint it. Looking at it now, I think it would have actually looked better just keeping the panel as is, oh well, I'll do something to it later.
Did require a lot more trimming of the switch panel behind the trim piece than I would have thought, a 1/4 in more to the left would fit better in the hole.

You can also check out this thread, a lot of good ideas and nice setups.

Here's what it looks like:

This picture, the panel is upside down but like I said, an 1/4in more towards the right of the picture would fit nicer without trimming behind and would have looked better keeping it like that.

awesome thanks! Where did you get that panel in the second photo?

- Planned Mods: 1.75"-3" Icon Vehicle Dynamics Coilover stage 2 lift; BFG KO2 32" A/T; LED Light bars; Mud flaps; More stuff. Haven't decided yet.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell_hau5_caffy View Post
awesome thanks! Where did you get that panel in the second photo?
It's just a simple rocker switch panel. I got mine here but many other companies make similar. They can be easily changed to increase the number of switch spots as well.

My build thread
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
It's just a simple rocker switch panel. I got mine here but many other companies make similar. They can be easily changed to increase the number of switch spots as well.
ic ic. Good to know. Thanks.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 11:32 AM

Great pics!

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode