• 4 Post By JohnnyTurbo
  • 1 Post By BumbleZ
  • 1 Post By JohnnyTurbo
  • 1 Post By Likely

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

JTurbo's 2017 Z71 Build

Hello Colorado Fans!

I am posting the build of my 2017 Colorado Z71. Hope you all enjoy the progress!

About the truck:
Engine: 3.6L V6
Transmission: 8 Speed Automatic
Trim: Z71
Drive Type: 4x4
Color: Cyber Gray Metallic

Here is the window sticker for the full list of options

Picture of my Rado the day I got it in front of my buddy's Duramax pulling some sleds.

That night I pulled a 30" LED lightbar off of my '97 Blazer and sized it up. Looks like it will fit nicely in the lower grille!

The next day I mounted the lightbar and removed the air dam. Looks mean!

The day after that I wired it all up. I mounted the switch in the card holder that is to the left of the steering wheel. I used the same large LED safety switch that I was using on my Blazer. The card holder is still fully functional! If you look at the back of the card holder, there are notches that the switch perfectly fits into.

Lights up the night just as you would expect :)

Let me know what you all think! This build will likely be pretty slow to start out but I will be sure to keep you all updated on my plans and progress. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 01:50 AM

Garage
Welcome to C'Fans
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 02:53 PM

Garage
That's a hellava switch. Did it come with the nuclear codes....?
supermodulation likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Welcome to C'Fans
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleZ View Post
That's a hellava switch. Did it come with the nuclear codes....?
I will not confirm or deny

The switch is very large but I prefer it that way. That combined with the bright LED that lets me know right where it is allows me to switch it off quickly if I need to.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:02 PM

Finally someone else modding their truck near me
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTurbo View Post
Thank you!

I will not confirm or deny

The switch is very large but I prefer it that way. That combined with the bright LED that lets me know right where it is allows me to switch it off quickly if I need to.
Just funnin with ya. I like it. "Killswitch engaged.....!"

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:47 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sabbotage Send a message via MSN to sabbotage
I love how you mounted your light bar behind the grill so it doesn't stand out as much. Do you have any pics of how you mounted it?

2016 GMC Canyon All-Terrain Duramax
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Finally someone else modding their truck near me
Nice! You're not too far away from me either! Maybe I'll see ya out on the road sometime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbotage View Post
I love how you mounted your light bar behind the grill so it doesn't stand out as much. Do you have any pics of how you mounted it?
I know, I love how lowkey it is. Unfortunately I did not take any pics of how I mounted it but I can show you what I did, with help from a picture from forum user drewabbs that I added some colorful circles to.

I removed this plastic shroud by taking out the 3 fasteners along the top and unclipping the two tabs on the sides (all circled in red). The initial plan was to remove this shroud and not replace it. However I noticed that there is a large piece of Styrofoam in the front clip that normally would be protected by this shroud. Therefore removing this shroud would expose the Styrofoam to direct sunlight, water, etc. I ended up cutting into the shroud to allow the lightbar to fit and be mounted properly while still protecting the Styrofoam. I basically just cut out the vertical plastic bits in the center of the shroud and cut out the rear half on the sides. It doesn't look very pretty, but if you are going to do it, I would recommend using a dremel tool and taking your time.

I mounted the lightbar to the steel bumper, directly below the plastic shroud. My lightbar mounts happened to fit right above the factory holes in the bumper (circled in green) so installing the mounting hardware was relatively easy. Drilling through the bumper was quite a task on its own however. This is extremely durable steel and it took a while to drill through. I used a punch to mark the spot I wanted to drill, then started with a small drill bit to further cut into the surface. Every few minutes I would hit it with the punch a few times until I finally broke through. I then used larger drill bits and punches to progressively widen the hole to the size I needed it. I then sprayed it with a protective paint to prevent rust.

I also modified my mounting brackets by drilling holes in the center of them, illustrated by the picture below. I did this so the lightbar could sit lower, right in the center of the lower grille.

The last thing I needed to do was relocate the ambient air temp sensor (circled in yellow in the first picture). I read somewhere on the forums that this will still function properly even if blocked by something such as a lightbar. However The bracket would have been in the way of the lightbar so I used a few zipties and mounted it to that plastic "grid" behind it. I have it above the lightbar so it still gets adequate airflow anyway.

This post ended up turning into more of a how-to but I hope this gives you a better idea of what I did!
lqdchkn likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:58 PM

Keep adding and keep paying!
JohnnyTurbo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode