Only money..... - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By mhr900ss
  • 1 Post By mhr900ss
  • 1 Post By mhr900ss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Only money.....

My turn to share; I'm broke again. I just ordered an ARE CX HD canopy (internal aluminum frame good for 550lb up top on the go). It will come with a solid ally drivers side lift up "window", a lift up passenger side window with middle sliding section and a rear window plus a HD roof rack, two bars that connect directly to the internal frame. My plan is to design/build a tool/accessories box that will be accessed from the driver's side and storage and a cot inside the bed for now. Maybe a roof top tent later. I also just ordered a full size spare and somewhere for it to go; I went with the Wilco Offroad Hitchgate Classic offset. This will add an extra 20" to my truck's already very long length but I did not want to put a wheel up top and need the bed for other stuff. My only other immediate plan is to get a big Rhino Rack Pioneer platform to cover the canopy and probably Rhino Rack HD2500 bars for the cab roof so I can carry my kayaks.

I promise to take lots of pictures and review the new bits very thoroughly.

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, long bed
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
Wilco Offroad Classic Hitchgate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

We all love pics so I've attached a few of the "before" shots. Note the BDS 5.5 lift, Fuel Vector rims and Toy tires were dealer installed and came with the truck. I just picked up my new Wilco Offroad Hitchgate; I peeked in the boxes last night; very excited! I will fit it on the truck this weekend, post pics and initial comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z71 left front.jpg (239.9 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg z71 left rear.jpg (260.8 KB, 167 views)
RatRacer, Tilley and BlowFish_12 like this.

BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:05 AM

Dude, your truck is perfect! Love it, all the proportions are just right I think. Great buy!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Blowfish_12: I agree; when compared to a stock Colorado, there is a huge difference. Initially , I was concerned that the 5.5" lift may be too much; I've only played with it on some forest service roads to date and not done anything gnarly and it's been fine. My ARE cap is coming soon and the left side tool access will be very high; I'm 6'1" so will be OK. I have to use the sidesteps to get in!

I just installed my new Wilco Offroad Hitchgate yesterday; I'll be sharing some pics and a review very soon.
BlowFish_12 likes this.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:36 PM

Did you go with the Hitchgate Solo or classic? I'm about to order mine but don't see why I should spend the extra on the classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

ClaysandBirds: Good question; I had the same. I went with the classic because the frame is bigger and I fully expect to be adding more stuff to it; possible extra fuel/water. Sorry for the delay positing pictures; I'm traveling with work this week but will post pics when I get home. Here are some brief comments so far:

- Dealing directly with Wilco Offroad has been a pleasure; very quick responses to my queries and other comments.
- Fabrication quality is excellent; really clean welds, good paint, good quality components.
- Packaging was interesting; the big parts are wrapped in plastic film, placed in a cardboard box and then several large blobs of quick-set foam are sprayed around the box to hold the pieces in place and stop them banging around during transport. It works.
- The instructions are not very good but frankly they don't need to be as the assembly is pretty simple. The only issue I had was with alignment of the hitch pin holes after torquing the wedge; as the wedge is tightened it pulls the tube forward and up a little; it's really easy to compensate for the forward movement, just start a little further out, but the upwards movement was enough to make it hard to fit my pin. I had to tap it in with a mallet.
- The licence plate relocation kit was a breeze; I simply connected the live wire to my original right side licence plate lamp then removed the old bulbs. I will make a close-out panel for the old licence plate location (big hole behind the OEM plate location) using a spare license plate frame and a piece of plastic cut the same size as a plate.
- My only comment regarding improvement of design (so far) is regarding securing the swing arm when the thing is open. There is a pin to hold it shut but when open, it will freely swing all the way out to the right side of the truck. Parked on the flat this is no biggie but if the truck is leaning to the right and that thing swings when loaded with a tire, it could hit someone or maybe stress the hinge point. My old Hummer had a locking arrangement to prevent free movement of the swing arm when open.

I'm still waiting for my full-size spare wheel to arrive; it's been three weeks now.
ClaysandBirds likes this.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:44 PM

I've been inclined to go with the solo. It holds a rotax can and a high lift jack. I don't know though. It's all so confusing. I've also been researching how to relocate the back up camera. I think I found a way, but the camera is for the Silverado and Sierra. I think it uses the same harness though. Should be interesting when I pull the trigger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode