2017 Colorado ZR2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

2017 Colorado ZR2

So, I'll get some better pics tomorrow, but I did a thing today.

I traded in my 16 Trailboss for a 17 ZR2 that rolled of the truck yesterday. Im too busy grinning ear to ear right now, but i will post more pictures and details tomorrow.

Toughsox, JBT, CaryBosse and 9 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoggard View Post
So, I'll get some better pics tomorrow, but I did a thing today.

I traded in my 16 Trailboss for a 17 ZR2 that rolled of the truck yesterday. Im too busy grinning ear to ear right now, but i will post more pictures and details tomorrow.

Great lookin' truck! Post your pics in the ZR2 photo thread and be the first new owner to post there.

Official Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Photo Thread
Toughsox and JBT like this.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends." - REK
"If we get a little crazy, blame it on the alcohol." - PG
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - MT
"All bleeding stops eventually." - ZR2 EMT
"Stay safe! Everyone goes home." - UNK

2017 Red Hot ZR2 V6 CC SWB - TPW 5/15 - Event Code 4800 (Bayed)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:29 PM

nhoggard: Great truck! So posting here must mean your have "build" plans; what goodies do you have in mind or are you broke?

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, long bed
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
Wilco Offroad Classic Hitchgate

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Ha! It was a lot of monnies, but after checking with our service department to make sure it would fit, I just ordered a Rough Country 2" level kit.

Also, I have a friend who does professional machining. He is going to try and make the roof rack and lightbar from the ZH2 for me. Then all I will have to do is order 3 of the 8" RC Black Series LED bars.

Toughsox and RatRacer like this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Ha! It was a lot of monnies, but after checking with our service department to make sure it would fit, I just ordered a Rough Country 2" level kit.

Also, I have a friend who does professional machining. He is going to try and make the roof rack and lightbar from the ZH2 for me. Then all I will have to do is order 3 of the 8" RC Black Series LED bars.

Is there a 2" rake on your ZR2? Some of the pictures look level, while others look like they have rake.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, at least two inches.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:38 PM

Garage
Moar pics

Proryde adjustable strut spacer 2"
RC preload ring 1"
ProComp 1" rear lift block
RC 1.25" body lift
AS diff drop
Wheel spacers 1.5"
4 AuxBeam 6" round 60 watt led offroad lights
Air Dam delete
FabTech inbed angled spare tire carrier
Sylvania zXe low beams
LED fogs
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys, work got away from me today. This is the only pic I took today, and it's not that exciting. I said goodbye to the Trailboss today for good. I took this picture in the service lane while I was moving all of my stuff into the ZR2. I've got the Nikon charging up, and I'll take some better pics tomorrow.

JBT and mhoyt like this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:

id be interested in that light bar as well
Toughsox likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:27 PM

So, first impressions? Would like to see some more pictures too! For how hype this truck is, very few people are posting anything!
mhoyt likes this.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

As promised:

JBT, mhoyt, RatRacer and 6 others like this.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so after putting some miles on it this weekend, I am ready to give my initial thoughts:

Compared to my old Z71, the ride feels much more smooth. I dont know about the rest of you, but the downshifting on my Z71 was terrible. If I slowed down in traffic, and then went to speed up, there was a noticeable hesitation. No more, they seemed to have worked that out with the ZR2. I dont know why GM would do this on the ZR2, but there is about a 1.5" to 2" rake up front, but that will soon be fixed with a Rough Country 2" leveling kit. I put about 120 miles (mostly city) on it over the weekend, and I really didnt notice a difference in gas mileage. The dealership filled it up on Friday for me, and after driving all weekend, I am still above 3/4 full, and averaging 16.2 MPG.

On to things I dont like:
Honestly, I think I liked the interior of my Z71 a little bit better. The all blacked out leather interior of the ZR2 seems like it would be more fitting on a GMC Denali. You can see in my picture of the dash, the bezel around the stereo and shifter is a matte silver that I have no doubt will probably be scratched to hell within a year or so. The glossy "carbon fiber" pieces in my Z71 just seemed like they would last longer. The leather seats are extremely comfortable, but given the ride height, and having sliders instead of step bars, I think sliding out of the truck is going to eventually going to cause issues.
mhoyt and tallp1g like this.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the write-up :) Enjoy it, looks awesome
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Ok, so after putting some miles on it this weekend, I am ready to give my initial thoughts:

Compared to my old Z71, the ride feels much more smooth. I dont know about the rest of you, but the downshifting on my Z71 was terrible. If I slowed down in traffic, and then went to speed up, there was a noticeable hesitation. No more, they seemed to have worked that out with the ZR2. I dont know why GM would do this on the ZR2, but there is about a 1.5" to 2" rake up front, but that will soon be fixed with a Rough Country 2" leveling kit. I put about 120 miles (mostly city) on it over the weekend, and I really didnt notice a difference in gas mileage. The dealership filled it up on Friday for me, and after driving all weekend, I am still above 3/4 full, and averaging 16.2 MPG.

Honestly, I think I liked the interior of my Z71 a little bit better. The all blacked out leather interior of the ZR2 seems like it would be more fitting on a GMC Denali. You can see in my picture of the dash, the bezel around the stereo and shifter is a matte silver that I have no doubt will probably be scratched to hell within a year or so. The glossy "carbon fiber" pieces in my Z71 just seemed like they would last longer. The leather seats are extremely comfortable, but given the ride height, and having sliders instead of step bars, I think sliding out of the truck is going to eventually going to cause issues.
Everyone always complains about rake, but it is not there just for payload, it also serves a purpose for aerodynamics. Now a 2" rake may be a bit much.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:16 AM

Garage
I am going to guess the answer is "NO", but going to ask anyway. Did Chevy put a 4WD mode indicator on the DIC or elsewhere on the instrument cluster on the ZR2?

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:26 AM

I'm curious if there is any possibility way GM would roll out a firmware update out to other models giving them an "off road" mode through a holding of a button on the DIC. Also the Z71 compared to the ZR2 does anyone know about after removing the air dam what the difference is in approach angle?
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:

I agree about the interior. The full leather look seems more like a luxury option than off road. Those seats are also really hot in summer sun.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
I am going to guess the answer is "NO", but going to ask anyway. Did Chevy put a 4WD mode indicator on the DIC or elsewhere on the instrument cluster on the ZR2?

Yes, they did.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:

Well having the new 8 speed transmission fixed your downshifting issues I am sure you can order those bezel pieces and swap them out. with the fake CF pieces that are on the Z71. Its physically the same interior, just trimmed different.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:00 PM

Nice photos! I am curious to see if the spacers affect ride quality at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode