Overlanders Post Here - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to be doing a huge overland trip with my Colorado. I'm picking up a ZR2 as soon as it's available and will be driving it after it's outfitted on a 5,190 mile loop on the Continental Divide Route. I will also be making stops to hit Black Bear Pass in Colorado and some trails in Moab. Here is the route, starting and ending in Yuma, AZ. The Continental Divide portion will be from the Mexico border to the Canada border on the east side of the loop.

rcjoe, drewabbs, Dave rado and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:08 PM

Have you ever read Road Fever? Tim Cahill. If not, do.
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:27 PM

This thread has me interested. I'm looking to build my '16 z71 4x4 into an overlanding machine. Havent found much for aftermarket unfortunately since the truck is still new and I'm still very early into the stages of building the truck. Realistically its just finances keeping me from building it all right now so it will be a slow build.

But as for design, I've got a buddy who works at a machining shop here in Orlando, so I may end up building a few custom items like a contractors rack / roof rack for re-locating the spare tire (maybe a swing style tailgate to relocate instead of the roof rack and hold a few jerry cans. Dont want to remove the factory tailgate though), and storage as well as maybe a soft topper as I've seen with goaleee13's build. (Not sure how well those will fit together though). Maybe some rock sliders to replace my stock "offroad" nerf bars. Not wanting to do much rock crawling though.

But I wanna see what you guys find as well.
Subscribe!
goleee33 likes this.

2016 Black Colorado Z71 4x4

- Current Mods: Air Dam Delete; WeatherTech floor liners; LED Bed-Lighting Mod;30" double row Xprite light bar; Tablet setup for nav;
Hard-wired dash cam to fuse box;

Build Thread: http://coloradofans.com/forums/265-2...and-build.html

Last edited by maxwell_hau5_caffy; 12-05-2016 at 02:32 PM.

post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 03:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Barnes View Post
I'm going to be doing a huge overland trip with my Colorado. I'm picking up a ZR2 as soon as it's available and will be driving it after it's outfitted on a 5,190 mile loop on the Continental Divide Route. I will also be making stops to hit Black Bear Pass in Colorado and some trails in Moab. Here is the route, starting and ending in Yuma, AZ. The Continental Divide portion will be from the Mexico border to the Canada border on the east side of the loop.

Approximately how long do you anticipate this trip to be? This has always been a dream of mine. By then my trucks will be most likely much more equipped than a ZR2 (other than the front locker) so I should be able to easily hang.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleee33 View Post
Approximately how long do you anticipate this trip to be? This has always been a dream of mine. By then my trucks will be most likely much more equipped than a ZR2 (other than the front locker) so I should be able to easily hang.

I'm scheduling 6 weeks for the trip. I know I could do it in half that but I don't want to rush it. I'm just going for the solitude, exploration, and photo-ops. No daily mileage quotas, no set timeline, no cares, no worries.
goleee33, rcjoe, lqdchkn and 2 others like this.
post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:56 PM

Hi folks: It's good to find some like-minded folk here. I just bought a 2016 Colorado Z71 to be used as a camping/kayaking base. I was looking at Tacos but this truck became available really close and after lots of homework I decided to get it. It would be better to have a discreet off-road/overlanders section on this forum but I didn't see a link to the moderators of this site to propose this new section. As you are probably all aware, we may have better luck trying to do the same on the Expedition Portal. Once my wallet has recovered, I'll be looking at on-board air, a kayak rack of some sort and start thinking about storage options. Our choices are so limited for off-road bumpers that are winch friendly.
goleee33 and lqdchkn like this.

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, long bed
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
Wilco Offroad Classic Hitchgate
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 11:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhr900ss View Post
Hi folks: It's good to find some like-minded folk here. I just bought a 2016 Colorado Z71 to be used as a camping/kayaking base. I was looking at Tacos but this truck became available really close and after lots of homework I decided to get it. It would be better to have a discreet off-road/overlanders section on this forum but I didn't see a link to the moderators of this site to propose this new section. As you are probably all aware, we may have better luck trying to do the same on the Expedition Portal. Once my wallet has recovered, I'll be looking at on-board air, a kayak rack of some sort and start thinking about storage options. Our choices are so limited for off-road bumpers that are winch friendly.
All you have to do is politely PM an admin and they do their best to accommodate. And voila, I asked and here we are with a new section. Good idea!

NEW TRUCK
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
5inch CST lift
post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 06:58 PM
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors

Definitely looking forward to seeing some Overland Twins!

Dan
goleee33 likes this.

Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc.
support@wheelersoffroad.com
(541) 474-2879
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
My first question...

I am considering a build to complete a Continental Divide overlanding trip I am planning to do currently in my Jeep. Mexico to Canada, about 2,700 miles mostly all off road two-track. My question is in considering how 2,700 miles of mostly slow speed driving will affect the Duramax and the fact that there won't be any good areas to get out and burn off the soot. There certainly wouldn't be anywhere to drive about 30mph for 30 minutes or more at a time. Any thoughts on how you would approach this?
Uh, what Jeep comes with a Duramax?

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
Uh, what Jeep comes with a Duramax?
If you cared to read the rest of the thread before posting, you'd realize he currently has a jeep, but is asking questions regarding the Duramax in the ZR2 he aims to purchase....
macr88 and NewtP like this.

"Stormtrooper"
2016 Colorado Z71 - Crew Cab - Long Box
post #31 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:53 AM

And .... being a first time diesel owner myself... is that a good question about the regen? I hadn't given that thought... if it needs thinking about. I would venture a guess.... how about going to manual and keeping the rpm up?

2016 Colorado Duramax LT CyberGray Longbox 4WD
post #32 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckland View Post
And .... being a first time diesel owner myself... is that a good question about the regen? I hadn't given that thought... if it needs thinking about. I would venture a guess.... how about going to manual and keeping the rpm up?
Ive regen'd offroad a few times. Not a big deal, well as long as your not over brush to start a fire I guess but even that would be a bit tough to do as Ive learned.

I entered regen just as I got off highway and it proceeded to regen at 15-25mph speeds in 4H and even though a tough part when I shifted down to 4L and had to back up and take a few tries through a tight spot.

The truck really doesn't seem to care, so far my experience is that it will regen as long as you leave it on and don't shift into Park or stay in Neutral to long. If you do shut it off it will finish once back up to temp.

I've messed with mine mid regen so many times and expected it to error but it's never happened to me. I think the key is temperature, even if you interrupt it as long as it can get up to temp within a few restarts it will allow it finish. For those that have seen the regen alert messages I think they are not allowing it to get to proper temp before it's interrupted again and that's why they are running into issues.

For reference I've been tracking my regens since about the 4000 mile mark and I've gone through no less that 32 regens since then.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 12-08-2016 at 11:09 AM.
post #33 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 06:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystof View Post
If you cared to read the rest of the thread before posting, you'd realize he currently has a jeep, but is asking questions regarding the Duramax in the ZR2 he aims to purchase....
Since when do you have to read an entire thread to ask a question regarding ONE post?
Since you apparently didn't 'care' to read the post I quoted, here it is again.
I thought his post was quite clear.
Quote:
My first question...
I am considering a build to complete a Continental Divide overlanding trip I am planning to do currently in my Jeep. Mexico to Canada, about 2,700 miles mostly all off road two-track. My question is in considering how 2,700 miles of mostly slow speed driving will affect the Duramax and the fact that there won't be any good areas to get out and burn off the soot. There certainly wouldn't be anywhere to drive about 30mph for 30 minutes or more at a time. Any thoughts on how you would approach this?
As you can see, it states he is going to be taking his Duramax-equipped Jeep on an over-landing trip, and wants to know how the slow speed driving will affect its emissions equipment.
I took the liberty of assuming that since it has the OE emissions equipment on it, he didn't take the enormous time and expense required to do such a swap, then ruin it by also installing the regeneration system. The only option that leaves is a Jeep coming stock with a Duramax.
Which brings me back to my original question.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #34 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:37 AM

Dude. Relax.

If you're making assumptions the easiest one to make is that he was asking about how the trucks on this forum, that sometimes come with Duramax motors, perform in comparison to his Jeep. You were just being argumentative from the get go with your original question.

Don't ruin this thread with that nonsense.
post #35 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 08:41 AM

I recently did a quick trip from NYC to Alaska and back. I didn't get much off roading in due to time constraints and my truck being nearly stock.

I do have both plates offered by Superskidz. I also hastily built a rack for my roof tent and rotopax, between wedding preparations. The rack is gonna need some modifications, and I plan to supplement it with a roof basket over the cab. One other thing I did as a temporary solution is to make trailer hitch receiver winch plate and run a hot lead from my battery to rear of the truck. When I upgrade to a winch bumper I'll move that lead into the bed to plug into my Goal Zero.

The truck ran great the whole way. I was really impressed with the exhaust brake and transmission braking on some of the snow covered winding mountain roads with steep downgrades. I didn't have to employ my disc brakes much and never had a problem with sliding on the ice.

I was also glad for the range of the Duramax. I did a straight run from Denali to Edmonton only stopping for fuel, and we did a stretch between Whitehorse, YT and Fort Nelson, BC (approx 600mi.) in the middle of the night where no service stations were open between the 2. With help of the 4 gallons of diesel in the rotopax we just made it. This certainly would not have been possible in my jeep.

In about a weeks time I'll be putting in a bajakits suspension and upgrading my wheels. I hope to do a trip up through Labrador and New Foundland in the coming year.

Here's my truck in Glacier National Park, MT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1481290669993.jpg (129.5 KB, 171 views)
post #36 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvynick View Post
I recently did a quick trip from NYC to Alaska and back. I didn't get much off roading in due to time constraints and my truck being nearly stock.

I do have both plates offered by Superskidz. I also hastily built a rack for my roof tent and rotopax, between wedding preparations. The rack is gonna need some modifications, and I plan to supplement it with a roof basket over the cab. One other thing I did as a temporary solution is to make trailer hitch receiver winch plate and run a hot lead from my battery to rear of the truck. When I upgrade to a winch bumper I'll move that lead into the bed to plug into my Goal Zero.

The truck ran great the whole way. I was really impressed with the exhaust brake and transmission braking on some of the snow covered winding mountain roads with steep downgrades. I didn't have to employ my disc brakes much and never had a problem with sliding on the ice.

I was also glad for the range of the Duramax. I did a straight run from Denali to Edmonton only stopping for fuel, and we did a stretch between Whitehorse, YT and Fort Nelson, BC (approx 600mi.) in the middle of the night where no service stations were open between the 2. With help of the 4 gallons of diesel in the rotopax we just made it. This certainly would not have been possible in my jeep.

In about a weeks time I'll be putting in a bajakits suspension and upgrading my wheels. I hope to do a trip up through Labrador and New Foundland in the coming year.

Here's my truck in Glacier National Park, MT.

Very cool! Is that rack over a soft topper?? Nice choice with the Bajakits! Mine has been bullet proof for the hell ive put it through.

NEW TRUCK

OLD TRUCK
5inch CST lift
post #37 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:17 PM

Yeah, there's a soft topper under the rack. I'm pretty pleased with that too. Kept everything dry in some heavy rains. Also the soft topper clamps are holding the rack on too.

Here's a picture in Banff with the tent deployed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1481303774295.jpg (186.4 KB, 163 views)
post #38 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:07 PM

Very nice set up... You are way ahead of me... I am planning a trip in June to Alaska from New England... yahoo!(I've got a Four Wheel Camper on the Duramax Colorado) It has been a dream for a very long time and time is not on my side at my age so I'm dropping everything and taking off. From where I am I'll head across NY on 90 to Buffalo then Canada to Michigan... straight across to take the ferry across the lake ( I hate going around and through Chicago) I did this a long time ago on my motorcycle. Then across S. Dakota and on thru Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington. On the ferry to Whittier. I'll travel around for a month then drive back to the east coast....
If you have any 'gotta see" info or .....more importantly truck related info (btw I carry 3- 2 gallon rotopax)... please let me know. What extra truck parts/equipment etc did you take? Any off road free camping sites on your route? Any problems with the diesel? Did you do an oil change somewhere? Oh and I will definitely be putting on a superskidz front plate. Great to know there are crazy people out there who don't shy from a big road trip!

post #39 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckland View Post
Very nice set up... You are way ahead of me... I am planning a trip in June to Alaska from New England... yahoo!(I've got a Four Wheel Camper on the Duramax Colorado) It has been a dream for a very long time and time is not on my side at my age so I'm dropping everything and taking off. From where I am I'll head across NY on 90 to Buffalo then Canada to Michigan... straight across to take the ferry across the lake ( I hate going around and through Chicago) I did this a long time ago on my motorcycle. Then across S. Dakota and on thru Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington. On the ferry to Whittier. I'll travel around for a month then drive back to the east coast....
If you have any 'gotta see" info or .....more importantly truck related info (btw I carry 3- 2 gallon rotopax)... please let me know. What extra truck parts/equipment etc did you take? Any off road free camping sites on your route? Any problems with the diesel? Did you do an oil change somewhere? Oh and I will definitely be putting on a superskidz front plate. Great to know there are crazy people out there who don't shy from a big road trip!
Well our trip was our honeymoon, so we decided we'd spend half our time camping and the other half in cities at literally the fanciest hotels we could book on a days notice. One nice thing since we were booking rooms usually the morning we planned to stay there, we got heavily discounted rates. Also all the valets I ran into were in love with the truck.

The most gotta see place I'd say was Banff national park in British Columbia. I've been all over the world and I think it may be the most beautiful place I've ever been. It was also the most crowded park we stayed in, but it's huge and I think there are areas the average tourist never gets too.

Our route took us turning north in Montana and taking the Alaska Highway all the way up. Word of caution if you take this on the way back, The road is extremely dirty and littered in rocks. I got 4 chips in my windshield in 2 days. (Still worth it though)

We took the last week of October and first 2 of November for our trip. Since it was so late in the season there was only 1 other guy camping in Denali when we were there, so it was like having he whole park to ourselves. Also they have sled dogs there they decided to mush them through our campground so that was a pretty cool experience.

As far as spare parts, all I brought was an extra belt. I would definitely suggest you have something that can read and clear engine codes. I have an ultra gauge and a couple times I got pending codes (sorry don't even remember what they were now). That I chalked up to the cold and mountainous terrain. I cleared them and they never came back. I also got a fuel mixture code once after I had nearly run the truck dry on diesel and it struggled to start. Again cleared it and it's never returned. (Also I don't push the limits on my fuel range as much anymore)

Yes I did an oil change en route. Had ordered the filter and oil prior to the trip. Also I had a goal zero solar generator to which I would plug in my block heater. I would definitely suggest something like this. One night in Denali I didn't plug it in over night because I didn't plan on starting the engine early next morning. Well my wife had other plans, it was I think 2 degrees F and the engine struggled a little with the start.

One final suggestion if not on your way out maybe on your way back, instead of the ferry across Lake Michigan think about driving up through the Upper Peninsula. I drove that way outbound last year with a buddy on the way to Moab and it was pretty cool. We camped in the UP in December in a pouring, driving rain. While I don't necessarily suggest that, it was certainly an experience. (And the Mackinac bridge was pretty cool)
bcuzucant likes this.
post #40 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 05:01 PM

Sounds like you found a soulmate that can do the traveling you like ....Congratulations! And a fine idea doing the camping with the high class hotels in between ...that way you can appreciate both more. I have done the same and a soft bed after being in the boonies for awhile sure is incredible....and a hot shower! I checked out the Ultra Gauge but not sure if the iPhone "Blue" model is any good UltraGauge Blue OBDII Scan tool & Information Center It seems like a great deal on sale now....I need something affordable as I am already getting maxed out in prep costs. The belt is on the list as are wipers and bulbs. I have bought a couple oil filters and will bring one along and oil. I hear DEF is easy to get. Actually I have done a cross country motorcycle trip a couple times and have gone over the Mackinac bridge... pretty windy on a bike!... the ride around the north of the lake was great. The trip to Washington is a fast haul this time... my wife is flying to there to start the trip as her work dictates her calendar... so solo get there. I am glad to hear the truck did well. I will also buy the superskidz plate. I did get the stock transfer plate when I got the truck. Your trip to the North sounds great too. That is on our list as well. Thanks again for the advice. (let me know what you think of the "blue" link.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode