Overlanders Post Here - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:30 PM

Looks like Expedition Overland is hosting a giveaway. Light bars, Maxtrax, wench's, tires and other XO goodies.

Click the link I posted here and submit an entry for the prize. Also clicking the link helps out my chances too!

https://contest.fbapp.io/xoverlandch...from=user_link

Good luck!

2016 Black Colorado Z71 4x4

- Current Mods: Air Dam Delete; WeatherTech floor liners; LED Bed-Lighting Mod;30" double row Xprite light bar; Tablet setup for nav;
Hard-wired dash cam to fuse box;

Build Thread: http://coloradofans.com/forums/265-2...and-build.html

Last edited by maxwell_hau5_caffy; 12-12-2016 at 02:31 PM. Reason: adding stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 06:22 PM

So not to beat a dead horse, I'm looking at working some overlanding capabilities in to my truck. I saw another thread previously of someone putting a second battery in front of the airbox just behind the headlight. Has anyone considering loading a battery up on its side under the coolant overflow tank? It looks to me like there would be a ton of room under that tank. Anyone tried this yet? I am still waiting on BW to make his bumper available so that I can purchase his and a winch to fill out the front end. Has anyone looked integrating a front bumper with good approach angle into a system like super skidz so as to create a near smooth undercarriage?
macr88 likes this.

2016 Colorado CCLB Z71 Duramax

Current mods

GM offroad step bars
GM rear seat cover
GM Splash guards (front/rear)
Black Bowties (front/rear)
Thule Roof Rack/Roof Basket
ARE V series camper (headliner/12v outlets/LED Dome)

Future Mods (in order)

Headlight bulbs(stock blow booty)
Westin Grille Guard/10k winch
Full set of skid plates
High output alternator
Dual battery setup
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 06:26 PM

^^^ That was my original plan. To put something the size of a Hawker or Odyssey PC680 side mounted with the terminals inboard under the coolant reservoir.

Upon getting into fitting and further planning I decided that a bed mounted battery was better for me so I went that route.

The smaller battery you'd need to fit in that location would most likely just be useable as an emergency starter battery since they don't have a lot of ah storage.

post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Overlanders Post Here

I would love to do that with the wife. Sounds like a crap load of fun.

Anybody interested in putting a crew together? I mean once we all get our rigs made up?

2016 Z71 CCSB I4 2.8L BabyMax, 265/70R17 Wildpeak Falken AT3W's, Super Skidz full skid package

post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7224 View Post
I would love to do that with the wife. Sounds like a crap load of fun.

Anybody interested in putting a crew together? I mean once we all get our rigs made up?
Yeah I'm completely about that. I'm on the East coast in central florida, so not much down here for me to do aside from Ocala, but sometime in the next few years I wanna tackle the Dalton Highway during late spring time to avoid the mosquito's and maybe see some snow.
doc7224 likes this.

- Current Mods: Air Dam Delete; WeatherTech floor liners; LED Bed-Lighting Mod;30" double row Xprite light bar; Tablet setup for nav;

post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell_hau5_caffy View Post
Yeah I'm completely about that. I'm on the East coast in central florida, so not much down here for me to do aside from Ocala, but sometime in the next few years I wanna tackle the Dalton Highway during late spring time to avoid the mosquito's and maybe see some snow.
I'm in Ocala. ONF has it's pleasures.

Citrus is also a very fun WMA to explore. I'll try to remember to PM you the next time we go out there.
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Overlanders Post Here

I'm thinking about getting an undercover ridgelander. My bed will be my sleeping area and the spare tire will be placed on top somewhere.

Anyone have experience with undercover products?

-mac

Last edited by macr88; 03-08-2017 at 11:57 AM.
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr88 View Post
I'm thinking about getting an undercover ridgelander. My bed will be my sleeping area and the spare tire will be placed on top somewhere.

-mac
You plan on sleeping under the bedcover? Not sure how exactly this set up would accommodate sleeping. Maybe a RTT on top of the bed cover and spare in the bed would be more efficient.
bcuzucant and macr88 like this.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:

-mac
Yeah, like @goleee33 said, there are better solutions. One of the other threads here in the offroading section I discuss a possible solution by welding up a rack that will fit around a soft-topper which is likely what i'll end up doing whenever i get around to learning how to weld and such.
macr88 likes this.

post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowslide View Post
I'm in Ocala. ONF has it's pleasures.

Citrus is also a very fun WMA to explore. I'll try to remember to PM you the next time we go out there.
Awesome, yeah that'd be great. I've been out to citrus twice and had a lot of fun. Need to get some skid plates before I start going out too much. Already ripped off the factory plastic "Skid" out there at citrus.

post #51 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell_hau5_caffy View Post
Awesome, yeah that'd be great. I've been out to citrus twice and had a lot of fun. Need to get some skid plates before I start going out too much. Already ripped off the factory plastic "Skid" out there at citrus.

Superskidz are just a message away... @supermodulation

NEW TRUCK
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
5inch CST lift
post #52 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleee33 View Post
You plan on sleeping under the bedcover? Not sure how exactly this set up would accommodate sleeping. Maybe a RTT on top of the bed cover and spare in the bed would be more efficient.

That would definitely be ideal and if I start doing multi night trips that's what I'll do but for now I'm really looking to see if anyone has had any encounters with undercover. I'm new to this stuff so I'm not sure if this is a reputable company or not. From what I've found they seem good?

I have a travel trailer so my overlanding will be kept to single night trips at most but I do love getting out there and exploring.

-mac
post #53 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
That would definitely be ideal and if I start doing multi night trips that's what I'll do but for now I'm really looking to see if anyone has had any encounters with undercover. I'm new to this stuff so I'm not sure if this is a reputable company or not. From what I've found they seem good?

I have a travel trailer so my overlanding will be kept to single night trips at most but I do love getting out there and exploring.

-mac

I have one on order for testing. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macr88 likes this.
post #54 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
I have one on order for testing. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it.

Is it a good platform to build on? Is that mounting system common?

-mac
post #55 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:37 AM

Garage
Quote:

-mac

Undercover is a Truck Hero company. Same as ARE tops and bed covers and NFab and many other brands now. They make quality products but it seems as most Truck Hero products are becoming increasingly priced to the point where I think they are borderline overpriced. But usually good quality none-the-less.
macr88 likes this.

NEW TRUCK

OLD TRUCK
5inch CST lift
post #56 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Is it a good platform to build on? Is that mounting system common?

-mac

I am not sure of the weight capacity but I'm sure it's a few hundred pounds (I'll look into this further). The mounting system is from Rhino Rack, and while not as ubiquitous as Thule or Yakima is supposed to be good quality.

I plan on mounting 2 bike trays, a basket or my spare tire, and my Firestick to the system. We'll see how it likes it.

I really like the flush look of my Gator FX but this cover was intriguing to me. Hopefully the functionality of the rack system overcomes the lack of functionality from the rigid/one piece design. One thing I love about the Gator (besides sitting flush with the bed rails) is that it's never in the way since it stops in multiple positions. It's a great design.

I suspect that any issues stemming from the cover being 1 piece will be minimal at best and that the rack function will provide far more benefit.

macr88 likes this.
post #57 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:35 PM

While I've been told they can handle more, the published load rating for the cover with the cross bars is 200lbs.

We can test this more when the cover comes in :)

EDIT: I have word from UC that RTTs can be used, though a 3rd crossbar is likely to be required. Good news there.
macr88 likes this.

Last edited by Snowslide; 03-09-2017 at 10:55 PM.
post #58 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
While I've been told they can handle more, the published load rating for the cover with the cross bars is 200lbs.

We can test this more when the cover comes in :)

EDIT: I have word from UC that RTTs can be used, though a 3rd crossbar is likely to be required. Good news there.

Nice, leaves that open if I ever decide to get a RTT.

-mac
post #59 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Not sure if Titan fuel tanks has anything yet.
I have word from a Titan rep that a Duramax full replacement or auxiliary tank is in the R&D pipeline. Just FYI
post #60 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
I have word from a Titan rep that a Duramax full replacement or auxiliary tank is in the R&D pipeline. Just FYI
The spare tire area would be nice.
Someone's making a replacement tank but it sits below the frame rails from what I saw although I could be wrong, not following that thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode