Overlanders Post Here - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Overlanders Post Here

Discuss Overlanding build topics such as accessories, tents, racks, gear, etc.

(Mods, if there's a more appropriate forum, feel free to relocate)

Last edited by Ryan Barnes; 11-23-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

My first question...

I am considering a build to complete a Continental Divide overlanding trip I am planning to do currently in my Jeep. Mexico to Canada, about 2,700 miles mostly all off road two-track. My question is in considering how 2,700 miles of mostly slow speed driving will affect the Duramax and the fact that there won't be any good areas to get out and burn off the soot. There certainly wouldn't be anywhere to drive about 30mph for 30 minutes or more at a time. Any thoughts on how you would approach this?
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:33 AM

I think you'll find plenty of segments with a lot higher speed than that. Just can't see it being an issue.

Chris Brown
2015 Colorado LT Ext-Cab 4X4 • I4 • Black/Black • Bose & Nav
Link for DIY: Cargo/Dog Platform Build For Ext-Cab

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:38 PM

Garage
I would like to eventually do the continental divide. Longest off-road trail I have done is 150 miles. That was super fun. What kind of modifications do you plan on doing to the Duramax? Suspension?

There's only a few overland style trucks on here unfortunately. Mine is planning to be a mix of overland/pre runner. As I like to go quickly through the desert but crawl over technical sections.
CanyonITHAULS likes this.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits Boxed UCA - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

It'll be a ZR2 when available. I'm going to build a rack for the rear that extends over the cab to hold a James Baroud RRT, maxxtrax, and rotopax. I was planning to do the trip in my 06 Rubicon LWB that I'm building right now and add an off road trailer, but since the ZR2 was announced I think I'm going to build that into an overlander and keep the Jeep on 40's for the really tough trails that I would destroy a truck on.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:47 PM

Not sure why this is in the builds section but whatever, I'll bite.

Like goleee I'm also building sort of a hybrid pre-runner/overland truck though I am stopping short of a mid-travel kit ;). Currently trying to find someone to make me a bed rack, but I'm really not in a rush to do it until Decked releases their Colorado kits. Until then I like my tonneau and BedRug.

I do need to find a bumper solution that I like. I'd love to add a winch ASAP but don't like what I see in terms of mounting solutions. I really like the look of Demillo and All Pro bumpers (and like that you can get AP in aluminum) but they are just for Tacomas. Bummer.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I'm just going to build my own f/r bumpers, I'll never find ones that meet my needs. Same with the rack. Which tonneau cover do you have and do you like it?

Last edited by Ryan Barnes; 11-23-2016 at 12:54 PM.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Barnes View Post
It'll be a ZR2 when available. I'm going to build a rack for the rear that extends over the cab to hold a James Baroud RRT, maxxtrax, and rotopax. I was planning to do the trip in my 06 Rubicon LWB that I'm building right now and add an off road trailer, but since the ZR2 was announced I think I'm going to build that into an overlander and keep the Jeep on 40's for the really tough trails that I would destroy a truck on.
The ZR2 should be more than capable to handle anything you really throw at it. Once it releases, support for these trucks should sky rocket which im quite excited about. By the time the ZR2 comes out ill already have my long travel kit so the only reason to upgrade would be the front locker, which IMO is amazing and worth it but not necessary for application as ill have significantly more travel than the ZR2.
bcuzucant likes this.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits Boxed UCA - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 09:42 AM

Cool post, looking forward to seeing capable adventuremobiles! There are a few guys on here with nice builds so far. I used to have Demello off-road Bumpers on my fj cruiser and I briefly mentions to the owner of DO that they should build parts for the new Colorado. He said to hang tight and it is a possibility. I love my new colorado, but the only real bummer is waiting for the aftermarket to pick up on these trucks. Excited to see once the ZR2 is out. I just did a 1200 mile round trip from Maine to Virginia in my truck over thanksgiving and I love the Duramax! On the way down we got stuck in stop and go... got 580 miles on a tank... coming home I got 602 miles on a tank and the light came on right as I was pulling in to fill up.

[/IMG]
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 09:35 PM

If DO gets in the game I'll know we've made it. I love the high and tight style of their bumpers. They don't do aluminum like All Pro but I'll take it! DO bumpers look great.
Dmax16 likes this.
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:16 AM

I'm in on this type of fun. I pretty much crawl all over Colorado right now. Truck is currently on Fox 2.0 front coilovers, frame welded rock sliders, full underbody skid plating, hilift, ax and shovel mounts in bed. Planning a bed rail cage for a tent with an integrated spare tire winch holding the spare above the bed and out from under the truck. Deckd drawers would be amazing but it seems like they are severely dragging ass on the idea of midsize truck production. In the mean time a few ammo cans for tools and recovery gear will be mounted and I'll use totes for the trip specific gear. Expedition One has the best looking bumpers for the Canyon platform and the Colorado is in the works so I am greatly looking forward to see what they come up with. Rhino Rack over the cab for additional storage and solar panel is also in my thoughts. I'd like to have a comfortable home away from home for up to a week at a time. I doubt I would ever have the time to be away for longer than that.

2016 Laser Blue Ext Cab Short Bed 4x4 Z71
Fox 2.0 suspension, LineX; custom HiLift, shovel/axe mounts, Chassis Unlimited rock sliders, LED hood pods, Custom aluminum oil pan and transmission skid plates, custom bed cage, MBRP cat back, lots of scratches.
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:36 AM

Decked will be launching their Tacoma application in early (I think Jan) 2017. Colorado/Canyon to follow. They had to completely reengineer the product due to the differences in mid-size beds vs. full size.

Leitner Designs confirmed on Friday that their rack system is available for order now. They emailed me a pic - it sticks up too high over the cab for my tastes but it is a very nice system (expensive too). But it's an option and is available now if you're interested!
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:58 AM

Surprised to hear that about deckd. If it happens that soon I'll be even more surprised. That was the first thing I wanted to buy for my truck and I was pretty upset they didn't offer a system.
The Leitner system is nice but completely off base from what I want. I'm going to build a low profile rack that just spans the bed rails to support a RTT. I don't want the tent to sit higher than the roof of the truck. And my spare will fill the raised space below the rack, as close to level with the bed rails as possible.

I hope this thread takes off and doesn't turn into complaints about paint scratches or radios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowslide View Post
Decked will be launching their Tacoma application in early (I think Jan) 2017. Colorado/Canyon to follow. They had to completely reengineer the product due to the differences in mid-size beds vs. full size.

Leitner Designs confirmed on Friday that their rack system is available for order now. They emailed me a pic - it sticks up too high over the cab for my tastes but it is a very nice system (expensive too). But it's an option and is available now if you're interested!
goleee33 likes this.
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:57 PM

Finally a place to ask about stuff I am starting to do with the Duramax that I have been doing for years with my old Taco. I have a FWC (Four Wheel Camper) Eagle on the truck. I am heading to Alaska in June from New England .... ya nuts but hey.
I have got a Hellwig Sway bar, Air lifts, an extra leaf and will be putting the 2" RHA 5100 Bilsteins on the front and 5100 on back. Other than that I like it just as it is. BUT I was wondering if there is someone who has put a hose from the rear axil breather up to height of bed rail? I have on occasions needed to cross some beaver dams and it is deep.... wanting to keep the differential from getting water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eagle-rado.jpg (225.7 KB, 190 views)
Dmax16 and kmf1_1790 like this.

2016 Colorado Duramax LT CyberGray Longbox 4WD
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:25 PM

I haven't yet but it's on my list. I don't like mud/water but in Florida it is inevitable that you'll end up in one or the other. I was thinking of picking up the ARB units but haven't done enough research to see if there are similar items at a lower cost.
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:06 PM

The rear axle breather is high up behind the drivers side taillight. Front breather is also high up in the engine bay. If you submerge those you're going to have bigger problems than water in axles.

ARB doesn't make any vehicle specific products for USA Colorados/Canyons.
goleee33, Blacrose and macr88 like this.
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcuzucant View Post
The rear axle breather is high up behind the drivers side taillight. Front breather is also high up in the engine bay. If you submerge those you're going to have bigger problems than water in axles.

ARB doesn't make any vehicle specific products for USA Colorados/Canyons.
Good to know. One less thing to worry about.

ARB's breathers are universal.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:01 PM

Bingo.... that is exactly what I needed to know! That is good news ... on my old taco i learned the hard way about water in the differential and wheel bearings.... I learned up and will peak beneath to be sure i know where that hose is!!! Big Thanks.
bcuzucant likes this.

2016 Colorado Duramax LT CyberGray Longbox 4WD
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2manyprojects Send a message via MSN to 2manyprojects
Fuel Capacity?

I've got a '17 DMax CCSB Colorado on order and was wondering if anyone has found any kind of auxiliary fuel tank for these trucks. I'm a long time Toyota pilot and had steel 13 gallon frame mounted tanks on both a p'up and 1st gen 4Runner which were great. They mounted in the spare tire location and fed to the main tank. They weren't too large and provided weight to the rear axle and nicely increased range.

Seems like a similar setup for the Colorado would be reasonable, especially since the spare tire looks like it needs to be relocated anyway.
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 10:01 PM

Not sure if Titan fuel tanks has anything yet.

Also got an email yesterday from ARB about their snorkel kits now fitting 16 Tacomas. I replied with something to the effect of "where's the love for Colorados?" In short a rep did get back to me and said that the popularity of the platform has their eye. It was also made to sound like some products may be in development now.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up but it made my day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goleee33 and bcuzucant like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode